Ultimate Footy

JACKATTACK

Something I have noticed about my experience in Ultimate footy last year, and I am beginning to notice it this year as well.

Coaches tend to make trade offers in the same way they barter in Thailand, start by offering something offensively low, just in case they take it, and work up from there.

In ultimate footy, that just doesn't work. If you are genuinely looking for a particular type of player, then make a genuine offer. If you're not sure what a genuine offer is then have a look a the projected rankings, they're a pretty good guide. If you're going to offer up a player that isn't as good (on rank) then at least off an explanation of why you think they might be better for the team you're hoping to trade with.

Edited by JACKATTACK

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I have noticed about my experience in Ultimate footy last year, and I am beginning to notice it this year as well.

Coaches tend to make trade offers in the same way they barter in Thailand, start by offering something offensively low, just in case they take it, and work up from there.

In ultimate footy, that just doesn't work. If you are genuinely looking for a particular type of player, then make a genuine offer. If you're not sure what a genuine offer is then have a look a the projected rankings, they're a pretty good guide. If you're going to offer up a player that isn't as good (on rank) then at least off an explanation of why you think they might be better for the team you're hoping to trade with.

Agree. I've looked at projected, actual rankings and also take into considersation each category before making an offer and make it worthwhile for bot parties. Ie. It's no use offering up a deal where the ranking gap might well be wider than the Grand Canyon.

There has to be something in it for both. Like a forward for a back or forward/ruck for a centre mid - where both coaches feel they need to fill a void in respective lists. So both go home happy.

I would prefer to give explanations too; realistic explanations that is.

No doubt some coaches may feel like it's hard to let go of certain players or want to get some advantage in a trade. The latter won't happen. Every coach should be smart enough if they follow their footy.

PS. J.Brown is over his OP. Hopes to be named against the Dees for the 2011 campaign.

;)

So don't go offering a Brad Miller for him anyone......you'll get a return *sigh*

anyone up for trading, im interested in a forward or possible ruckman, and i have a pretty solid defensive and midfield stock, will consider nearly any trades. :D

What would you want (including my Soul) for Grimes?

Some of my thoughts on this:

18 players is certainly an option, the reason I used only 11 is because if you have 18 players + probably 5 emergencies and then say 5 on the bench to cover injuries and byes, with 16 teams you need 288 playing players, 80 emergencies and 80 benched players. There are plenty of players in the AFL, but I figured it simplifies team selection a bit with fewer players and therefore requires less effort to keep your team up to date. This also means that coaches who are less committed can stay in the game a bit more without having to commit a lot of time to it.

Also I personally like to be able to remember what players I have in my team, I find with so many players I keep forgetting who I have.

With the scoring; you can choose to play with up to 9 categories. (score,score%,k,m,hb,ho,t,ff,fa) Points is not one of them, if by points you mean DT points. Nor would you want it to be one of them. So there is no confusion; "Score" incorporates both goals and behinds (6xgoal + 1xbehind), score percentage is goals divided by behinds (goals / behinds) and unlike all other categories you need to have fewer frees against to win that category.

If you want you can play with a straight points system like DT. But everyone in my league last year, even those who initially disliked the Category system, agreed that the category system is superior.

Without consulting the other members of the league, we're definitely going with a category-based system. Much more interesting and strategic (in terms of drafting, trading and match-day selections).

I think we might stick to 18, but we'll see what the others think.

DRAFT:

There are a few different ways of running a draft, but 2 stand out:

Slow draft:

The intention here is to run a draft over a few weeks, people log on when they can and make selections when it suits them. The time limit can be from 5 minutes to 24 hours. This is what I Demonland 1 league did, but it got frustrating becuase it turned out you had to commit a lot of time to checking how close your pick was which was why I shortened it to 5 minutes. The advantage was that it ran over 2 nights for a total of about 8 hours, so everyone got a chance to log on at some point and make a live selection instead of the default autopicks.

Live Draft:

I ran a live draft last year with some mates (and will gain do it this year), it runs in the same way as a slow draft with a few differences. Firstly the time limit is reduced to 1 minute. Secondly if you're not online your pick is made automatically for you straight away without waiting your full minute, unlike the slow draft where this was only the case if you changed your preferences to autopick before you logged off. If you are logged on but you fail to make a selection within a minute then like the slow draft it autopicks for you, but you get penalised 20 seconds for your next pick (down to 40 seconds), then again if you don't make your pick in time the next round (20 seconds) and so on.

The upshot is that depending on your settings, and how many people are available you can get through a draft of 300 odd players in about 2 hours of intense drafting. This is because the average time to draft was around 30-40 seconds. The downside is that those who are working/out at that time will miss the whole thing.

If I had my time again I would definately run the Live draft.

Live is preferable for sure, but finding a time (2 hours) where everyone is online might prove a pain.

TU, i'm not sure what the generic settings are. My reasons for having only 11 players playing are outlined in a previous posts. The only thing I would have changed from what I did would be to run a live draft, and have an extra centre playing. I would also consider dropping 1 bench spot to promote trading.

BASIC SETTINGS (Edit)

League Manager michaelhumphris

League Name Demonland 1

League ID 228354

Password TS4MFCIN12

Description For Demonlanders only.

Game Type Head-to-Head

Scoring Type Category-Based

Maximum Teams 16

First Round of Matches Round 1

Bye Rounds Play every round

Captains Disable use of Captains

Can't Cut List Use Can't Cut List

LINEUP SETTINGS (Edit)

Max Team Size: 21

Total Starters: 11

Total Emergencies: 5

Number of Bench Spots: 5

Backs (B) 3

Centres © 3

Rucks ® 1

Forwards (F) 3

Utilities (UTL) 1

Emergencies (EM) 5

Bench (BN) 5

SCORING (Edit)

Player stats used Kicks (KI) 1 Free Kicks For (FF) 1

Handballs (HB) 1 Free Kicks Against (FA) -1

Marks (MA) 1 Points Kicked (SCORE) 1

Hitouts (HO) 1 Goal Kicking Accuracy (%) 1

Tackles (TK) 1

LEAGUE RULES (Edit)

Lineup Change Lockout All Players Lock at First Game Of Week

Season Player Acquisition Limit 30

Weekly Player Acquisition Limit 5

Time Players are on Waivers 2 Days

Determine Waiver Priority By Reverse Ladder Order

"Weekend" Signing Lockout No Restrictions

Maximum Number of Trades No Limit

Trade Deadline Sunday, July 24, 11:59PM AEST (Round 18)

Trade Review Period 2 Days

Trade Review Method Coach Votes

DRAFT (Edit)

Draft Type Online Draft

Draft Start Date/Time Sun 27 February 5:30 PM (AEDT)

Time Per Pick 0 Hours 5 Minutes

Operate Draft Between 5 PM and 1 AM (AEDT)

For comparision:

League Manager titan_uranus

League Name Demonland Mk 2

League ID 351891

Password demons

Description

Game Type Head-to-Head

Scoring Type Category-Based

Maximum Teams 16

First Round of Matches Round 1

Bye Rounds Play every round

Captains Disable use of Captains

Can't Cut List Use Can't Cut List

LINEUP SETTINGS (Edit)

Max Team Size: 27

Total Starters: 18

Total Emergencies: 4

Number of Bench Spots: 5 POSITION STARTERS EMERGENCIES

Backs (B) 6 1

Centres © 5 1

Rucks ® 1 1

Forwards (F) 6 1

Utilities (UTL) 0 0

Emergencies (EM) 0

Bench (BN) 5

SCORING (Edit)

Player stats used Kicks (KI) 1 Free Kicks For (FF) 1

Handballs (HB) 1 Free Kicks Against (FA) -1

Marks (MA) 1 Points Kicked (SCORE) 1

Hitouts (HO) 1 Goal Kicking Accuracy (%) 1

Tackles (TK) 1

LEAGUE RULES (Edit)

Lineup Change Lockout All Players Lock at First Game Of Week

Season Player Acquisition Limit Unlimited

Weekly Player Acquisition Limit Unlimited Time Players are on Waivers 2 Days

Determine Waiver Priority By Continually Rolling List

"Weekend" Signing Lockout No Restrictions

Maximum Number of Trades No Limit

Trade Deadline Sunday, July 24, 11:59PM AEST (Round 18)

Trade Review Period 2 Days

Trade Review Method Coach Votes

DRAFT (Edit)

Draft Type Online Draft

Draft Start Date/Time Sun 20 March 9:00 AM (AEDT)

Time Per Pick 0 Hours 10 Minutes

Operate Draft Between 7 AM and 11 PM (AEDT)

In bold: should I change these to what you have JA? Any particular reasoning there?

Edited by titan_uranus

What would you want (including my Soul) for Grimes?

grimes is somewhat of a linchpin in my defence, and i am pretty certain that he will be repping good numbers so it is hard to say haha...

although i have been running rather low on my soul collecting lately.

I am in need of a ruckman, McIntosh went down with the opposite achilies. kruezer wont be ready for round one. am interested in a 20 hit out B R or F R. Lets Talk. Also High Tower, you offered a fair trade but i think Hurley will be more valueable to my team. thanks though.

I am in need of a ruckman, McIntosh went down with the opposite achilies. kruezer wont be ready for round one. am interested in a 20 hit out B R or F R. Lets Talk. Also High Tower, you offered a fair trade but i think Hurley will be more valueable to my team. thanks though.

that is tough luck, it will be hard to find a ruckman i think, trading will be tough aswell.

how does signing players work? is it just out of the players no one picked? think i might pick up griffen from freo, he might get a game as second ruck for em, sandi playing more forward might get 15 hit outs.

delist, then sign, you have a 3 day waiver before you sign the player.

so.... anyone got an out and out gun midfielder they don't want :rolleyes:

seriously - would love one. not sure what i can offer got lots of potentially guns but i need a lot to go right with the potentials

In bold: should I change these to what you have JA? Any particular reasoning there?

I set tt season acquisition limit to 30 just to restrict endless and unnecessary signings. Therefore reducing the ammount of commitment required by coachs. I think at 30 it might as well be infinate anyway, nobody is going to want to sign/delist a player every round. A weekly limit of 5 has no reasoning behind it, except maybe that I can't see why anyone would want to delist and sign more than 5 unless they're playing funny buggers. This was actually the case in the last round of our league last year when someone out of the finals dropped every player they had and signed all Dons for their last game, just for the fun of it. They ended up dropping Cross, who was free to be picked up by anyone for the grand final. In the end I had to ban everyone from picking him up, because it wasn't fair.

Apart from that, and the number of players I think they're pretty similar. I would maybe consider a Utility emergency, because if you UTL goes down he can't be replaced. That's if I have read your settings right.

I'm interested to know how 18 players goes, though I am happy to just stick to 11 for ours.

Edited by JACKATTACK

Have people been putting up trades and I'm missing out/being slack? Or is there not a lot of action going on?

I have put up a few 45. No cigar. :(

(through the propose trade function on the site)

I have put up a few 45. No cigar. :(

(through the propose trade function on the site)

I got an email saying a trade had been accepted; Sylvia for brown. But I can't see it on the site. What happened there?

I got an email saying a trade had been accepted; Sylvia for brown. But I can't see it on the site. What happened there?

What :/ ! I'll check...

edit: I can't see any confirmation on that proposal or confirmation ?!?

Oh wait - robbo24 had accepted then withdrew moments later.

Edited by High Tower

I have Brad Ottens on my list- chosen as a back up ruckman whom I can still utilize as a forward. If I place him as a forward in my team does his ruckwork count as a statistic?. Please advise and thank you.

I have Brad Ottens on my list- chosen as a back up ruckman whom I can still utilize as a forward. If I place him as a forward in my team does his ruckwork count as a statistic?. Please advise and thank you.

Yep

I am interested in trades- Sloane of Adelaide may be an interest to some. I think he should be in for a good year, finished off 2010 very nicely. Offers please.

I am interested in trades- Sloane of Adelaide may be an interest to some. I think he should be in for a good year, finished off 2010 very nicely. Offers please.

Yeah, willing to listen to offers myself. Sloane doesn't interest me.

I would be surprised if there was anyone interested trading for sloane. Offer someone who might get a game and you might have more luck.