Ashley Hansen

Range Rover

24 games in three years, two only in 2010.

Does anyone think that every other club in the country wouldn't be aware of Hansens's fragile body, and that he'd have more hope of being picked up if they'd got rid of him earlier (and Worsfold hadn't said he was being delisted because "his body wouldn't hold up")?

The guy's a physical wreck and the whole world knows it. Few would take a risk on him, whether now or a month ago.

The pity for Hansen is that his Coach axed him after the draft and then stuck the boots into him. That is very poor form in my eyes.

Edited by Redleg

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garbage. He's 27yo and is out of contract and not getting a game in the wooden spooners team..... Ummmm what would Ashley be thinking.."I'll be right for next year" :wacko:

FFS. Some people on here really need to harden up or get a dose of reality about life in the AFL. :rolleyes:

We should rookie him because he barracked for MFC as a child.

So its OK to terminate someone badly (after the draft and bad mouth him) if you don't rate him.

Its not a good look and totally unnecessary

Nice to see you're all hardened up about it though.

The pity for Hansen is that his Coach axed him after the draft and then stuck the boots into him. That is very poor form in my eyes.

Surely, he must have known that this was coming given the fact that he hasn't been a regular for four years, that he's constantly had injury problems and that he's not much good any more. The Eagles want to draft a player with pick two in the PSD.

What did he expect?

Loyalty?

Surely, he must have known that this was coming given the fact that he hasn't been a regular for four years, that he's constantly had injury problems and that he's not much good any more. The Eagles want to draft a player with pick two in the PSD.

What did he expect?

Loyalty?

By not telling him before the draft that surely must have given him a glimmer of hope (even if fancuful)

Yes, he deserved a bit of respect, being a premiership player

Surely he could have been told at the end of the season, it can't have been a hard decision

And whether he knew it was coming or not is surely irrelevant as to how the club handled it

It may be a tough professional business but there is still a right and wrong way to do things

Anyway, I couldn't give a rats clacker about Wet Toast

What did he expect?

Loyalty?

Perhaps not loyalty but a bit of respect would have been nice after 9 years at the club. It was disgraceful for Worsfold to throw him under a bus like that, saying his body isn't up to it. Why not the standard - "Player X doesn't fit into our plans for 2011 but we thank him for his years of service and wish him well"?

I would hope we will always treat our players with more dignity than that.

To all those who have shot down having a look at Hansen, be interesting to hear your suggestions on a possible ruck/forward rookie pick up before season 2011 gets underway ...

What did he expect?

Loyalty?

No, just a bit of common decency.

Garbage. He's 27yo and is out of contract and not getting a game in the wooden spooners team..... Ummmm what would Ashley be thinking.."I'll be right for next year" :wacko:

I think your missing people's point Rhino. Its not that he was delisted because I think most realise he is a very average footballer and was most likely to go. But to leave it this late when the ND has been completed and clubs would have their options pretty much set for the PSD, they haven't given the best opportunity to continue his career.

As I said earlier though, doesn't really matter as he wouldn't have been picked up regardless, but he should have at least been given a better opportunity to attract interest from other clubs.

Perhaps not loyalty but a bit of respect would have been nice after 9 years at the club. It was disgraceful for Worsfold to throw him under a bus like that, saying his body isn't up to it. Why not the standard - "Player X doesn't fit into our plans for 2011 but we thank him for his years of service and wish him well"?

I would hope we will always treat our players with more dignity than that.

To all those who have shot down having a look at Hansen, be interesting to hear your suggestions on a possible ruck/forward rookie pick up before season 2011 gets underway ...

The fact is we don't really know whether he was treated with dignity or common decency because we have no idea what the club said to him in the months leading up to his delisting. What we do know is that had he been a realist, he would have known to expect what was coming. It wasn't hard to figure it out. Clubs and players look after themselves first these days.

So its OK to terminate someone badly (after the draft and bad mouth him) if you don't rate him.

Its not a good look and totally unnecessary

Nice to see you're all hardened up about it though.

How do you know the Club had fully informed him and he made the choice?

Posters are seeing what they want to see in this.

He had ample opportunity to go into the draft. Why would he hang around a Club that he could not get a game at in the past 12 months?

He is either naive or poorly advised...or has shopped around and realised its his last punt in the AFL??

I think your missing people's point Rhino. Its not that he was delisted because I think most realise he is a very average footballer and was most likely to go. But to leave it this late when the ND has been completed and clubs would have their options pretty much set for the PSD, they haven't given the best opportunity to continue his career.

As I said earlier though, doesn't really matter as he wouldn't have been picked up regardless, but he should have at least been given a better opportunity to attract interest from other clubs.

No I think you're being naive about the situation. Read Maurie's post.

Hansen had a choice but must have realised his chances of being picked were as high as Titan U being rookied (Sorry TU)

The fact is we don't really know whether he was treated with dignity or common decency because we have no idea what the club said to him in the months leading up to his delisting. What we do know is that had he been a realist, he would have known to expect what was coming. It wasn't hard to figure it out. Clubs and players look after themselves first these days.

Exactly

There's looking after yourself and then there's sticking the boots in unnecessarily.

Imagine if, upon Brad Miller's delisting, Dean Bailey had said "We just couldn't keep persisting with him. He proved time and again he wasn't up to it and he just lacked a footy brain ... But we thank him and wish him well all the same".

Whatever, you either have a heart about these things or you don't.

Probably a good chance that both player manager and club would have exhausted all options both during the trade period and in the lead up to the draft.

A lot of stuff happens behind the scene that we are not privy to.

Am pretty sure that the only slim option for him to continue his career would be via the PSD. WCE may have kept him on the list until they were absolutely sure that he was no longer required.

EDIT, half finished this post two hours ago, now see that others have drawn the same conclusion..

How do you know the Club had fully informed him and he made the choice?

Posters are seeing what they want to see in this.

It has nothing to do with what I know

You were the one acting like a know-it-all and berating others

I just responded to your predictable tough guy talk

Its also a fact that the coach made unnecessary and damaging (to his prospects) comments when he didn't need to say anything other than thanking Hansen for his contributions etc and wishing him the best etc.

So what if Hansen saw it coming or not, we are talkimg about how the CLUB handled it

Anyway, carry on with your hardening up

We have been linked to every mature tall forward there is.

Dont jump the gun mate. He would provide nothing more than Miller.

Gullan writes: "The shock axing of Hansen less than 24 hours after the national draft has been the talk of recruiting circles over the weekend as clubs look towards next month's pre-season and rookie drafts."

It would appear that at least some AFL FD officials hold a different view.

Edited by Range Rover Realism

Gullan writes: "The shock axing of Hansen less than 24 hours after the national draft has been the talk of recruiting circles over the weekend as clubs look towards next month's pre-season and rookie drafts."

It would appear that at least some AFL FD officials hold a different view.

Yeah that's excellent. But we just delisted a mature underperforming 27 year old forward didn't we?

Some might be, but I doubt it's us. Would be extremely surprised. Why would we want a quick fix? He isn't even a ruck/forward like we wanted.

He might be the talk of recruiters, I reckon the conversation for most would go.

"Yeah so Ash Hansen's available, do we want him?"

"Nah mate."

The whole article is BS, it's a filler, no sources, not even the old "club source". Recruiting circles, could mean the recruiters at Central Murray for all we know.

Rhino you are amazing, Hansen still had a year to run on his contract, so why should he walk?

He has been injury prone, but still deserved to be treated better than what he was, but feel free to have your own views. We all know them!! B)

The conversation would be more like "did you hear about the eagles crucifying Hansen after Darling fell into their laps? Tough luck."

It's hardly a coincidence that there is no quote accompanying the article l.

Gullan is an idiot for writing this article.

He's banking on his readership being even more stupid for them to believe it.

No chance.

Bookmark it.