Potential Gold Coast Line Up

titan_uranus

Really, I don't have a lot of an idea about their players outside of their uncontracted signings and their draft selections, so filling in the 22 is difficult, but I was interested nonetheless in how their team might look:

B: Brown Bock Krakouer

HB: Toy Hunt Harbrow

C: Weller Swallow Harris

HF: Bennell Coad Patrick

FF: Brennan Day Lynch

R: Fraser Ablett Rischitelli

I: Smith Caddy Prestia (Keath)

I don't think they're going to be the easybeats some say they will. Mind you, they've got plenty of holes and they're not going to be up and about for 2-3 years yet.

Others will know a lot more about their list and probably could come up with a better 22 than this.

I am glad we play them reasnoably early next when they are still learning who is in the team. I think the Gold Coast will be a good side, but as a manufactured "club" we must always make them feel hostile, as that Fabric may be brittle under pressure.

Really, I don't have a lot of an idea about their players outside of their uncontracted signings and their draft selections, so filling in the 22 is difficult, but I was interested nonetheless in how their team might look:

B: Brown Bock Krakouer

HB: Toy Hunt Harbrow

C: Weller Swallow Harris

HF: Bennell Coad Patrick

FF: Brennan Day Lynch

R: Fraser Ablett Rischitelli

I: Smith Caddy Prestia (Keath)

I don't think they're going to be the easybeats some say they will. Mind you, they've got plenty of holes and they're not going to be up and about for 2-3 years yet.

Others will know a lot more about their list and probably could come up with a better 22 than this.

Easiest way to beat them initially will be shut down their AFL experienced players. Tag Ablett as hard as possible, no concerns over Rischitelli, Fraser, Brennan. I think they have a reasonable backline, against our forwardline anyway. Would love to see Scully and Swallow go head-to-head (no pun intended).

Brad Scott was talking about the next big rivalry being NMFC v MFC. I think the MFC v Gold Coast FC one is going to be delicious! Bonus is that the Grand Final is played at the MCG.

We play them in Round 4 (I think), pick the MFC team that will take on the one above. I'm finding I'm leaving some handy Dee's out. I think we will have them covered, in 2011 at least.

Not sure why you included Keith he choose cricket and has a contract with cricket Victoria

McKenzie was left out.

I'd make Krakouer the sub and put him in the back pocket.

Not sure why you included Keith he choose cricket and has a contract with cricket Victoria

There we go. I was sure I'd make a mistake somewhere.

McKenzie was left out.

I'd make Krakouer the sub and put him in the back pocket.

Fair enough. But maybe not Krakoeur as the sub though. They'll want as many of their bigger bodies out there I'd reckon. So maybe it'd be one of their draftees as the sub instead.

No, they just now have a bunch of good players like any team doesn.

Even the wooden spooner has a dozen good players.

Not every one of the GoldCoast recruits will become elite.

I'm thinking Swallow, Bennell, Caddy, Ablett, Weller, Toy will all be close to A grade or better.

Not sure that's enough to ensure a dynasty.

No, they just now have a bunch of good players like any team doesn.

Even the wooden spooner has a dozen good players.

Not every one of the GoldCoast recruits will become elite.

I'm thinking Swallow, Bennell, Caddy, Ablett, Weller, Toy will all be close to A grade or better.

Not sure that's enough to ensure a dynasty.

25 what is the Gold coast situation next year? Are the still granted free picks on a sliding scale for like 3 years?

MORE picks?

No, that's it. In 2011 they will draft like any other team.

They do hold, I think, 3 compensation picks that they traded for, but they won't be used until after 2011 because GWS will push those picks back out of the 1st round just like GC17 did this year.

There's also the fact that they'd need to de-list players as their list-size shrinks to normal, and then they'd need to de-list even more to use picks.

I don't think GC17 would be too keen to throw out highly rated kids after only giving them a year to prove themselves.

Guys like Daniel Harris, Coad, Fraser and N. Ablett will likely make way, but they need to keep experienced heads.

MORE picks?

No, that's it. In 2011 they will draft like any other team.

They do hold, I think, 3 compensation picks that they traded for, but they won't be used until after 2011 because GWS will push those picks back out of the 1st round just like GC17 did this year.

There's also the fact that they'd need to de-list players as their list-size shrinks to normal, and then they'd need to de-list even more to use picks.

I don't think GC17 would be too keen to throw out highly rated kids after only giving them a year to prove themselves.

Guys like Daniel Harris, Coad, Fraser and N. Ablett will likely make way, but they need to keep experienced heads.

Cheers for that i wasn't sure with GWS. Yes, what they have is quite enough, its up to the white shoe brigade locals to turn up now.

Still reckon we did alright last night. Those talls are going to love the MCG space.

I actually think they will play finals next year. They recieved 10 years of being a bottom 4 side in draft picks in 1 night. It take clubs years and years to gather that talent that was handed to them.

They are talented with potential. But there best years are 5 years away at least. Some of the senior players are NQR and the experience is spread too thin.

They show pluck but they will be hammered often and get dealt some lessons about what AFL is.

Bottom quartile but no disgrace as they will all be better for the run.

In 4 to 5 years, they could be very very good.

I actually think they will play finals next year. They recieved 10 years of being a bottom 4 side in draft picks in 1 night. It take clubs years and years to gather that talent that was handed to them.

Then wouldn't it follow that those years and years are also necessary in the the building of a great side?

This team could be amazing you're right but i took the liberty of randomly choosing the 03 and 04 draft and looking at the top 10 picks

Priority 1 Brett Deledio Murray Bushrangers Richmond

Priority 2 Jarryd Roughead Gippsland Power Hawthorn

Priority 3 Ryan Griffen South Adelaide Football Club Western Bulldogs

1 4 Richard Tambling Southern Districts Football Club Richmond

1 5 Lance Franklin Perth Football Club Hawthorn

1 6 Tom Williams Morningside Football Club Western Bulldogs

1 7 Jordan Lewis Geelong Falcons Hawthorn

1 8 John Meesen Geelong Falcons Adelaide

1 9 Jordan Russell West Adelaide Football Club Carlton

1 10 Chris Egan Murray Bushrangers Collingwood

Arguably, 4 of those players I would class as great footballers with Lewis probably unlucky not to be in that group.

Priority 1 Adam Cooney West Adelaide Football Club Western Bulldogs

Priority 2 Andrew Walker Bendigo Diggers Carlton

Priority 3 Colin Sylvia Bendigo Diggers Melbourne

1 4 Farren Ray Peel Thunder Football Club Western Bulldogs

1 5 Brock McLean Calder Cannons Melbourne

1 6 Kepler Bradley West Perth Football Club Essendon

1 7 Kane Tenace Murray Bushrangers Geelong

1 8 Raphael Clarke St. Mary's Football Club St. Kilda

1 9 David Trotter Calder Cannons Kangaroos

1 10 Ryley Dunn Murray Bushrangers Fremantle

Here i consider 2 to be great footballers, Sylvia still needs to do abit im aware but of course melbourne bias :P

There are 4 players in this top 10 that couldnt make VFL 1's teams and Bradley is a joke.

I'm as concerned as the next guy that we may loose out to a team of cheaters and miss out flag but history says 2/3's to a half of their 13 picks will be shocking players!

Cross our fingers

Ablett's already there, obviously. Swallow will be as good as him.

Harbrow and Brennan are pretty good players, and though Brennan's inconsistency is clear, I wonder if a change in home might help that. Rischitelli was BL's B&F this year too (doesn't say too much about him but he is a good player nonetheless).

I've had the opportunity to have a look at Hunt and can tell you that if he holds down CHB there will be many key forwards in the AFL who can look to having a field day when they meet the Gold Coast.

Easiest way to beat them initially will be shut down their AFL experienced players. Tag Ablett as hard as possible, no concerns over Rischitelli, Fraser, Brennan. I think they have a reasonable backline, against our forwardline anyway. Would love to see Scully and Swallow go head-to-head (no pun intended).

Brad Scott was talking about the next big rivalry being NMFC v MFC. I think the MFC v Gold Coast FC one is going to be delicious! Bonus is that the Grand Final is played at the MCG.

We play them in Round 4 (I think), pick the MFC team that will take on the one above. I'm finding I'm leaving some handy Dee's out. I think we will have them covered, in 2011 at least.

Have been thinking about this trying to convince myself that we will be able to compete with the new franchises in 3-4 years. The reality is they've had a number of very high draft picks, and I think Scott Clayton has said that between the 17yos they stockpiled and their bevy of picks this year, they have the equivalent of approximately 16 first round picks on their list. I would think that there would be a number of clubs, ours included, that also have around that number of first round picks on their list, the difference being that most other clubs have had the ability to weed out some of the underperforming first rounders over time. Think Daniel Bell (and you could even include someone like John Meesen) from as recently as this year. On that basis, I'm not really convinced they're getting as much of a leg up as some are suggesting. Sure, they have some great young talent but not all of them will become great players.

In any event, people look at the picks that GC have had this year, but in the past 3 or 4 years we've had two no. 1s, a 2, a 4, an 11, a 12 and a 14 who all look like being seriously good players. Over the next few years, they will drip in a few more first rounders but may equally lose a few too. I would suggest that our drafting over the last few years has been at least in the same sphere as theirs.

I would also add that I will be highly surprised if they go anywhere near vying for the eight next year. They basically have a raft of 18yos and about half a dozen decent AFL experienced players. Most clubs even with a development bias like us, the kangaroos and the tigers have a much larger core of senior players capable of playing senior footy. Too much will be left to the like of Swallow, Toy, Day and Weller in their first year of AFL footy. Don't be surprised if they finish right near the bottom for the first few years before some of their rising stars start to really develop. I would think finals is a pipe dream for this team until at least 2013.

Edited by Deemolition

Have been thinking about this trying to convince myself that we will be able to compete with the new franchises in 3-4 years. The reality is they've had a number of very high draft picks, and I think Scott Clayton has said that between the 17yos they stockpiled and their bevy of picks this year, they have the equivalent of approximately 16 first round picks on their list. I would think that there would be a number of clubs, ours included, that also have around that number of first round picks on their list, the difference being that most other clubs have had the ability to weed out some of the underperforming first rounders over time. Think Daniel Bell (and you could even include someone like John Meesen) from as recently as this year. On that basis, I'm not really convinced they're getting as much of a leg up as some are suggesting. Sure, they have some great young talent but not all of them will become great players.

In any event, people look at the picks that GC have had this year, but in the past 3 or 4 years we've had two no. 1s, a 2, a 4, an 11, a 12 and a 14 who all look like being seriously good players. Over the next few years, they will drip in a few more first rounders but may equally lose a few too. I would suggest that our drafting over the last few years has been at least in the same sphere as theirs.

I would also add that I will be highly surprised if they go anywhere near vying for the eight next year. They basically have a raft of 18yos and about half a dozen decent AFL experienced players. Most clubs even with a development bias like us, the kangaroos and the tigers have a much larger core of senior players capable of playing senior footy. Too much will be left to the like of Swallow, Toy, Day and Weller in their first year of AFL footy. Don't be surprised if they finish right near the bottom for the first few years before some of their rising stars start to really develop. I would think finals is a pipe dream for this team until at least 2013.

Pretty much spot on there except for the finals in 2013, I doubt they will be playing finals footy that quickly. They are pretty much a TAC team with a bit of experience thrown in and as we all know early picks don't guarantee success, some of these players won't be ready for 3 or more years. Will Lynch come on any quicker than Watts? Will Gorrange be able to compete any quicker than Gawn or Spencer?

We have established that you need several good players down back and several more good players up forward to be able to compete let alone win games, look at Carlton, just having a number of early picks hasn't propelled them to the top 4.

Putting their experienced players to one side, their young, whether recruited as 17yo last year or 18yos this year will be:

18-19 starting 2011 with zero senior games played.

19-20 starting 2012 with 10-20 senior games played

20-21 starting 2013 with 20-40 senior games played.

At those ages some of their mids (but not all) should be hitting their straps in 2013, but their talls will be lucky to be ready for regular senior AFL by 2013. How long did it take for Frawley to become good? Is Watts (3 years now, 4th in 2011) yet good? Jamar, anyone?

Given they have many fewer experienced players than a "normal" AFL side, I would put them 2 years behind us at least. And as I am expecting the Dees to play finals in 2011, top four in 2012 and flag in 2013 (that's the most optimistic path I can see) then GC would be on track for Finals in 2013, top 4 in 2014 and flag in 2015. And that depends on McKenna turning out to be a good coach, their selections in the 2011/12/13 drafts being good, their club/board/FD/Admin not falling to pieces and no more than the usual number of their kids going off the rails/failing to develop/getting homesick and leaving.

Have a look at the age/games played profile of a top 4 or premiership side. GC aren't going to be there until 2015 at the earliest. I just can't see their current bunch of experienced players being able to carry the kids until some of the kids get good enough to take up their share of the weight.

Putting their experienced players to one side, their young, whether recruited as 17yo last year or 18yos this year will be:

18-19 starting 2011 with zero senior games played.

19-20 starting 2012 with 10-20 senior games played

20-21 starting 2013 with 20-40 senior games played.

At those ages some of their mids (but not all) should be hitting their straps in 2013, but their talls will be lucky to be ready for regular senior AFL by 2013. How long did it take for Frawley to become good? Is Watts (3 years now, 4th in 2011) yet good? Jamar, anyone?

Given they have many fewer experienced players than a "normal" AFL side, I would put them 2 years behind us at least. And as I am expecting the Dees to play finals in 2011, top four in 2012 and flag in 2013 (that's the most optimistic path I can see) then GC would be on track for Finals in 2013, top 4 in 2014 and flag in 2015. And that depends on McKenna turning out to be a good coach, their selections in the 2011/12/13 drafts being good, their club/board/FD/Admin not falling to pieces and no more than the usual number of their kids going off the rails/failing to develop/getting homesick and leaving.

Have a look at the age/games played profile of a top 4 or premiership side. GC aren't going to be there until 2015 at the earliest. I just can't see their current bunch of experienced players being able to carry the kids until some of the kids get good enough to take up their share of the weight.

We've been building a side for quite a few years now and know where we are and we know how tough it is to get success, GC haven't played one game yet so it's impossible to predict how good or how bad they will be. We've seen plenty of early draft picks fail, so it doesn't mean that GC will automatically be playing finals in 2, 3 or 4 years from now just because they have a bucket load of them. If you look at all the early predictions in the Phantom Drafts, the draft this year contained at least 35 superstars and about another 10 or so very good players, well I'm willing to bet that some of the supposed superstars turn out to be average players and that's all.

They have some good top end talent and a lot of hopefuls but that doesn't guarantee success, potential doesn't win games and that's all they have at the moment.