The new MFC emblem

Alan Johnson

Dude... those "words" are what has made our game the game it is today!! It's the cornerstone of our nation's great game - and it was created by Melbourne: the AFL rules.

we also have a club anthem, 12 premiership years, several previous names...but we don't need all of that on the logo do we?

I'm judging it as a designer and a passionate melbourne supporter...and it's still a badly designed "sporting club" logo

Your opinion. You're entitled to it. Some other designers don't judge it the same, neither do they have the same professional opinion.

we also have a club anthem, 12 premiership years, several previous names...but we don't need all of that on the logo do we?

One thing though: the creation of the games rules is the pinnacle; it's what actually forms the game! And when a game (a sport) becomes as successful as the AFL has become, those who created said rules NEED to be recognised and the MFC have done just that and in many people's eyes have incorporated it into the emblem quite well.

One thing though: the creation of the games rules is the pinnacle; it's what actually forms the game! And when a game (a sport) becomes as successful as the AFL has become, those who created said rules NEED to be recognised and the MFC have done just that and in many people's eyes have incorporated it into the emblem quite well.

Those who know anything about the game know we created the rules, and those who don't wouldn't get this from the emblem anyway. Lets have some confidence, put a single minded logo out there and let our footy do the talking.

Lets have some confidence, put a single minded logo out there and let our footy do the talking.

No. And you know why?? I know I for one am sick to death of the Collingwood's and the like strutting around being high and mighty with their Australian Flag in their logo and the $14m over 7 years new sponsor and their purchase of pubs and pokies outlets rah rah rah.

It's about time Melbourne put their foot down (on the accelerator) and made a name for THEMSELVES. Remind the football community (not just us Dees fans) who the hell we are and why the hell it is incredibly important that we stay in the AFL for all eternity.

The emblem is the start of (many) things to come. Be proud for crying out loud...

Dude... those "words" are what has made our game the game it is today!! It's the cornerstone of our nation's great game - and it was created by Melbourne: the AFL rules.

Just looks like scribble in the background , ya can't read any of it.

Any casual observer wouldn't know what it was , or care to find out .

And why are we letting Vlad and his cronies @#$% with our rules anyway ?

Edited by Fork 'em

No. And you know why?? I know I for one am sick to death of the Collingwood's and the like strutting around being high and mighty with their Australian Flag in their logo and the $14m over 7 years new sponsor and their purchase of pubs and pokies outlets rah rah rah.

It's about time Melbourne put their foot down (on the accelerator) and made a name for THEMSELVES. Remind the football community (not just us Dees fans) who the hell we are and why the hell it is incredibly important that we stay in the AFL for all eternity.

The emblem is the start of (many) things to come. Be proud for crying out loud...

The best way to make a name for yourself is to win...that's how we'll establish ourselves now and in the future. It wasn't their (less complicated) logo with the Aussie flag that won them the premiership this year. I'm as proud of my club as anyone - if I wasn't I wouldn't be crapping on about the logo at 1am in the morning

The best way to make a name for yourself is to win...that's how we'll establish ourselves now and in the future. It wasn't their (less complicated) logo with the Aussie flag that won them the premiership this year. I'm as proud of my club as anyone - if I wasn't I wouldn't be crapping on about the logo at 1am in the morning

Lol , well said . :lol:

Abit of elegible writing on our logo won't save us if the money stops rolling in . :rolleyes:

Edited by Fork 'em

I rarely if ever comment on Demonland (although I read it most days) but today I was on the AFL site and again saw our new logo. It made me feel compelled to get something off my chest - I think it's terrible.

You just happened to be on the AFL website and thought you'd start a thread to get something off your chest ?

It seems more carefully considered than you're making out. Especially as you had the link to that designer site in tow.

You just happened to be on the AFL website and thought you'd start a thread to get something off your chest ?

It seems more carefully considered than you're making out. Especially as you had the link to that designer site in tow.

It wasn't carefully considered at all, I'd seen the logo before and seeing it again made my blood boil. The deisgner site was found when I was searching for a larger version of our logo on google images...it's the first new one that comes up when you search under Melbourne FC logo

Exhibit A;

http://www.google.com.au/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1344&bih=722&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=melbourne+FC+logo&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Thank you very...next

Edited by Alan Johnson

It wasn't carefully considered at all, I'd seen the logo before and seeing it again made my blood boil.

Made your blood boil ? You're an excitable kind of guy.

And yes, it probably wasn't carefully considered.

Start a poll.

Then you'll see if it's just you that feels that way.

I like it - not sure it works well as a small icon

But it celebrates who we are.

As for grahpic designers, they struggle to relate to the real world unless they read it in a book. For me, the geelong logo doesn't represent the GFC.

I like it - not sure it works well as a small icon

But it celebrates who we are.

As for grahpic designers, they struggle to relate to the real world unless they read it in a book. For me, the geelong logo doesn't represent the GFC.

that's just it though, that's not the purpose it was designed for.

Those critical of it are judging by the standards set for a logo.

They are unable to think outside that paradigm, and that in turn sets what they think is "aesthetically pleasing".

As far as a visual representation of the key moments/facets of our club's history, it works very well.

A lot of suggestions that there is too much going and that if you remove 3 or 4 "themes" it will work well- but that's not the point of the emblem at all.

I'm sure the emblem just about perfectly satisfies the brief.

The criticisms are with the brief and they show an inability to think outside the norm and what we are told is "good design".

The only criticism I could possibly have, would be the gradien, but strangely, it actually works for the emblem, so I'm happy.

I rarely if ever comment on Demonland (although I read it most days) but today I was on the AFL site and again saw our new logo. It made me feel compelled to get something off my chest - I think it's terrible.

Alan you keep referring to it as a L O G O

The MFC site clearly announces and refers to it as an E M B L E M

In this case the emblem is "designed" to tell a story, wheras, as you know, being a designer, a logo is "designed" to contain a simple (single?) message via a symbolic graphic, so I don't understand the concern

The club has already hinted they are coming out with a new logo featuring the demon

Why don't we hold off until the club complete their new branding (jumpers, logo etc) shortly

Alan you keep referring to it as a L O G O

The MFC site clearly announces and refers to it as an E M B L E M

In this case the emblem is "designed" to tell a story, wheras, as you know, being a designer, a logo is "designed" to contain a simple (single?) message via a symbolic graphic, so I don't understand the concern

The club has already hinted they are coming out with a new logo featuring the demon

Why don't we hold off until the club complete their new branding (jumpers, logo etc) shortly

The Emblem is the logo. They just call it the "Emblem" for obvious reasons.

There may be a Demon logo as well, but this Emblem is the club logo.

The Emblem is the logo. They just call it the "Emblem" for obvious reasons.

There may be a Demon logo as well, but this Emblem is the club logo.

well maybe it is semantics, but to me it is the club emblem and we don't have a "club logo", but we will have a "demons logo".

thats ok for me - you don't have to have an official "club logo" - no big deal

So,

Club Emblem - YES

Club Logo - NO

Demon Logo - YES

Logos for other things - YES (e.g. Tridents, Redlegs, Mates of Melbourne etc)

Other new "specific" logos - POSSIBLY

Nothing wrong with one club emblem and multiple specific logos

What do you think?