Cameron Bruce

WonnaJurah

He also knows the clubs recent attitude to aging players, MCDonald, Robertson, Wheatley, Whelan, Yze (all his contemporaries and no doubt friends). There is no loyalty from the club for those at this end of the gravy train. One year deals at Melbourne are precisely that. Compare the Bombers and Mr Gadget, Hawks and that's what I'm talking about. If he can get two years somewhere else with the possibility of an extra third given form from another top club, why wouldn't you take it.

This should not be an issue. All these players and you can include Jeff White were great players for this club in teams that never fulfilled expectations and ended up a rabble. If their departures were premature then some other club would have picked them up. Its not a matter of loyalty. Their time was up but we respect their contributions. The game is not about individuals, its the ongoing survival, renewall and future success of the club. If the Bombers want to keep Inspector Gadget beyond his use by date then thats better for us when we meet them again. With Crawf, he knew his time was up and retired though no doubt he could have eked another year if he really wanted to. If Cam can get a better deal elsewhere good luck to him but I trust the FD to make the right decision for the sake of the clubs future.

Edited by america de cali

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm convinced that Essendon are trying to land themselves a "big fish" via the PSD.

Bruce might be their best bet.

And looking at the article in the Hun on the bombers having chased Travis Cloke - what the hell were they doing? They think they need another KPP?!?

Unbelievable.

They should be chasing a mid or a utility.

Like Bruce.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/essendons-failed-attempt-to-lure-travis-cloke/story-e6frf9if-1225942973305

Reading the above article, it sounds like Essendon are putting the hard word on anyone out of contract.

We've heard before how much Hird rates Bruce.

They need some more leadership at this time.

Only supposition at this stage, but don't be too surprised.

He also knows the clubs recent attitude to aging players, MCDonald, Robertson, Wheatley, Whelan, Yze (all his contemporaries and no doubt friends). There is no loyalty from the club for those at this end of the gravy train. One year deals at Melbourne are precisely that. Compare the Bombers and Mr Gadget, Hawks and that's what I'm talking about. If he can get two years somewhere else with the possibility of an extra third given form from another top club, why wouldn't you take it.

You're right we should have kept those blokes, what's a few more spoons.

The club is loyal, hence the decent offer on the table to continue his career at the one club. It's up to Bruce, re: loyalty.

Mr.Gadget is a whole other footballer.

Crawford played on one year deals. If it's alright for a brownlow medallist, I can't see why it shouldn't be alright for Bruce.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/essendons-failed-attempt-to-lure-travis-cloke/story-e6frf9if-1225942973305

Reading the above article, it sounds like Essendon are putting the hard word on anyone out of contract.

We've heard before how much Hird rates Bruce.

They need some more leadership at this time.

Only supposition at this stage, but don't be too surprised.

All very intriguing. We will see if your suppositions are correct in due time.

Crawford played on one year deals. If it's alright for a brownlow medallist, I can't see why it shouldn't be alright for Bruce.

Agree with that - and who knows - he might get lucky like Crawf did.

Agree with that - and who knows - he might get lucky like Crawf did.

McDonald played on one year deals... he wasn't so lucky.

Considering how McDonald was pushed out, and the fact he has a young family and needs to set himself for after footy, I 100% understand why he would security of a 2 year deal. No one wants to pick up a guy 31+, so he has to rely on Melbourne to keep contracting him each year. He must now feel that is no certainty.

I would however be disappointed MFC didn't offer him 2 years. Bruce has been a loyal servant of the club, coming top 10 in our B&F each and every year. He will only take up a veterans spot on the list. He deserves 2 years easily.

McDonald played on one year deals... he wasn't so lucky.

Considering how McDonald was pushed out, and the fact he has a young family and needs to set himself for after footy, I 100% understand why he would security of a 2 year deal. No one wants to pick up a guy 31+, so he has to rely on Melbourne to keep contracting him each year. He must now feel that is no certainty.

I would however be disappointed MFC didn't offer him 2 years. Bruce has been a loyal servant of the club, coming top 10 in our B&F each and every year. He will only take up a veterans spot on the list. He deserves 2 years easily.

The McDonald decision was a tough one - but look at it this way - we currently have 2 other delists Miller and Bell. We want to elevate McKenzie and Spencer. The trade was going to give us plus one player, not minus one - we were hoping to add Hale, and didn't have Cheney traded. That gives 2 out and 3 on or minus one draft pick! Right now we still only have 2 picks, I'm hoping for four.

I bet Bruce wants 2 years but we that doesn't mean we should give it to him. It's a tough world unfortunately as the McDonald retirement proved. If he's required in 2012 we'll give him another year then.

The fact is he doesn't free a primary list spot this year or next year because he's a vet but we can elevate a rookie to play if he doesn't sign which I think could be an advantage given our current rucking situation.

The fact is he doesn't free a primary list spot this year or next year because he's a vet but we can elevate a rookie to play if he doesn't sign which I think could be an advantage given our current rucking situation.

...an interesting angle.

Was the Mcdonald decision too hasty or was his destiny inconsiquential to Bruce's? Would the FD have acted differently given the benefit of hindsight?

They play different roles now. McDonald was back in the midfield, while Bruce mostly plays as a flanker. Moving on McDonald gives us room to get games into guys like McKenzie and Gysberts in addition to Scully, Trengove, Moloney, etc. Plus, it's not a question of whether McDonald is playing well at the end of this year, it's what he'll be like at the end of next year.

bruce has been on melbs list for over 10 years...if he's relying on the next couple of years to set himself up then he's never going to be setup...he's had a good run...1 year contracts for players over the age of 30 is nothing new for many clubs...

that said i think bruce is a good player for MFC...happy to keep him on the list for another 1 year contract...

we have the veteran list which only counts half a players salary. maybe it's time for the AFL to look at other ways of extending players careers over the age of 30. because at the moment the veterans list is a great way to backend players payments/contracts...ie., fev.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful by asking this, I'm looking for a serious considered answer:

Do we lose much if Bruces does go into the PSD?

I'm not sure that we do.

we have the veteran list which only counts half a players salary. maybe it's time for the AFL to look at other ways of extending players careers over the age of 30. because at the moment the veterans list is a great way to backend players payments/contracts...ie., fev.

Agree with this - with the youth obsession some players over 30 are getting retired early.

With unrestricted free agency from 2012, uncontracted players with 10 years service will be able to move clubs (there's restricted free agency up to 10 yerars service)

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=89810

It would also be good to encourage genuinely delisted 30+ year olds to stay in the game. Maybe clubs could be allowed one 30+yo outside the senior list who was picked up at 30+ and not count their salary in the TPP - these players could be selected in the ND or PSD. That way players like Junior, Tarkyn Lockyer etc could get a further opportunity. There would have to be a mechanism to stop required players e.g. Pav using this mechanism to move clubs - but they will probably use the Free Agency anyway because they can ensure they get to the club they want. Maybe a salary cap on the player selected on this list would work.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I'm not trying to be disrespectful by asking this, I'm looking for a serious considered answer:

Do we lose much if Bruces does go into the PSD?

I'm not sure that we do.

I'd like at least one more year from him. Elder heads at the club are getting rarer by the moment and we need them to impart some of that been there knowledge.

bruce has been on melbs list for over 10 years...if he's relying on the next couple of years to set himself up then he's never going to be setup...he's had a good run...1 year contracts for players over the age of 30 is nothing new for many clubs...

that said i think bruce is a good player for MFC...happy to keep him on the list for another 1 year contract...

Fev cannot get onto the VL until he is 38.

Probably won't be playing then.

With the change in interchange rules, Bruce could turn out to be a useful sub player in his twilight years. Can play almost any position forward, back, middle...

Just a thought.

I think that is a great suggestion

I really rate Bruce up there with Green. Bruce gets given a job each week and gets it done. I can see why Hird rates him. I can't see how Melbourne supporters don't rate him. He is durable and don't forget a late starter. I believe he still has 4 years left in him! Both Green & Bruce should be around in our premiership window. I would be disappointed in seeing him in an opposition jumper! Personally I would give the bloke a 2 year contract!

I really rate Bruce up there with Green. Bruce gets given a job each week and gets it done. I can see why Hird rates him. I can't see how Melbourne supporters don't rate him. He is durable and don't forget a late starter. I believe he still has 4 years left in him! Both Green & Bruce should be around in our premiership window. I would be disappointed in seeing him in an opposition jumper! Personally I would give the bloke a 2 year contract!

You are Right, but his disposal lets him down to often which hurts the Team so much if the ball is coming out of defence.

I see no problem with a 1 year contract. If Cam plays well next year & is still fit-He gets another year for 2012. Simple.

irrespective of which side of the fence one sits re Bruce ...it is now dragging on a bit. Would have thought this would have been sorted. GC cant afford him.. its really Us or whatever is behind curtain 3 or Box 2 etc.

All a bit strange ( i reckon)

If Bruce is still playing AFL in 2014 one of these following three things would have to have happened:

a) We had a massive exodus of players including Jamar (eligible for the VL in 2013) and Davey (2014) which meant there was no point in moving on Bruce as a vet.

bee) We failed to pick our mids well enough in the 07 - 09 drafts and must continue to play a 34 year old flanker.

c) GWS or GC are struggling to fill their lists.

He could play in 2012 if he is injury free - but that is it.

We are trying to win a flag, not ease players into a respectful retirement.

Edited by rpfc

This is becoming more of a mystery than Allen Jakovich's whereabouts. If he's not 100% committed for playing with us even for one more season then I don't have have a problem if he goes. I'd have a problem if he stuck around and wasn't on board a full 100%. Not good having a sooking veteran sucking up the energy of the positive momentum that is building at the club. I hope there are sincere non club related issues for his continued absence and silence.

It's not a [censored] mystery, they just haven't told us what's going on. Why should the club or the player conduct contract negotiations in public or even feel an obligation to let anyone other than the parties immediately involved know what is going on?

I'm happy to find out what happens when it's all been signed off. Until then nothing is set in stone anyway.

Maybe Bruce is on holidays and is waiting until he gets back to sort it out. Maybe it's already been sorted out and will be signed off on shortly and the cluba nd player are holding off until then. Maybe Bruce actually moved to Cuba in January 2009 and it's been a stunt double that has been playing in his place and that's why his disposal has apparently gone downhill.

It's not a [censored] mystery, they just haven't told us what's going on. Why should the club or the player conduct contract negotiations in public or even feel an obligation to let anyone other than the parties immediately involved know what is going on?

I'm happy to find out what happens when it's all been signed off. Until then nothing is set in stone anyway.

Maybe Bruce is on holidays and is waiting until he gets back to sort it out. Maybe it's already been sorted out and will be signed off on shortly and the cluba nd player are holding off until then. Maybe Bruce actually moved to Cuba in January 2009 and it's been a stunt double that has been playing in his place and that's why his disposal has apparently gone downhill.

It is a [censored] mystery or else there wouldn't have been two long winded threads debating what should have been a routine contract issue. Most mysteries end up as no big deal anyway when the answer is revealed. We are still waiting.

Edited by america de cali