Kyle Cheney

blueprint

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Smart move for two reasons.

First, Cheney doesn't have a role to play in our 22. The most likely spot was as a small defender, but he's too slow.

Second, Melbourne needs to free up spots on the list. With most players contracted and the likely upgrade of both Spencer and McKenzie, we need room to use our picks.

As well as freeing up a spot on our list for a decent draftee, we've been able to upgrade pick 66 to pick 52.

Not sure about that. We need to make spots on our list.

Ok, so we free up 1 space, does that mean we have to give players away for next to nothing? We're upgrading our pick 66 to 52, and losing a player. Doesn't look that great on paper, regardless of us needing to free up a space.

Guest grimes4

I really hope this trade gets done.

Cheney is a complete list clogger in my view, and it'd be a pleasure to see the Hawks bring in another sub-par defender to clog their ranks.

You simply can't teach size, speed or skill.

Reminds me of the Chris Johnson to Carlton adventure that I still take great pleasure in.

Have you ever played footy or any ball sports? because strangely enough you can teach skill! its called PRACTICE

I think the fact we gave them a pick to upgrade our 3rd rounder, rather than just doing it for pick 97, indicates that at least one other player will be delisted and we will use pick 53.

Good luck Kyle.

He has a better chance of making it in the Hawks substandard defense.

decent trade.

Cheney would not have played next year and isn't in future plans. Not quick enough to match small defenders, not strong enough for tall defenders, not skillful enough to be a rebounder!

At this stage we only are able to use pick 12, Cheney departing now allows us to use pick 32! If 1 or 2 more players depart we'll then use pick 50 and 51 also, which are decent picks.

Cheney is not a part of our future, so no biggie at all

Have you ever played footy or any ball sports? because strangely enough you can teach skill! its called PRACTICE

I reckon you've had a fair bit of practice by the time you reach ~21 years old and are in the AFL.

Not many players dramatically improve their skill after that.

Yeah, I have.

I'd put money on it that I've done it at a lot higher level than you.

You can practice and improve skills, but only so much.

And once you get to AFL level, this is even smaller. If your skills aren't already very good, it is extremely likely they never will be.

According to the SpyandSource twitter: "Expect Melbourne to use pick 52 for Josh Hill "

Really?

Also saw this on AFL blog: "Port Adelaide has just tweeted that it looks like it will be involved late in the piece ... still sorting through details of a trade"

So, assuming no more trades we have these sorts of choices to make in the lead-up to the draft:

Are we better off keeping McNamara or using pick 50-odd?

Are we better off keeping PJ or using pick 50-odd?

Are we better off keeping Bruce or using pick 50-odd? (Bruce would free up a rookie spot as he's verteran-listed - thanks old55!).

Edited by Rogue
old55 pointed out that Bruce is a veteran

So, assuming no more trades we have these sorts of choices to make in the lead-up to the draft:

Are we better off keeping McNamara or than using pick 50-odd?

Are we better off keeping PJ or using pick 50-odd?

Are we better off keeping Bruce or using pick 50-odd?

Agreed, but Bruce doesn't free an ND pick - he's a vet so frees a rookie spot.

Guest Deefence

Not 100% happy with this, but free's up a spot on the list for Jordie, Jake and two draftee's. Can't argue with that.

Hope we didn't force him, and happy to see him develop elsewhere.

Proof that our side can be very hard to crack into!

You can't teach speed, size or skill.

These are the 3 areas where Kyle is lacking.

I've seen a few VFL games and he goes alright, but PJ won the Liston one year, didn't he?

I'm not really concerned with VFL form, moreso how they translate that to AFL level.

With a kid, I look at the qualities he'll need to succeed at AFL level and Fetta doesn't hae enough of them.

He could be a capable role player for a year or 2 in a developing side, but he's not a premiership player.

He's simply not.

Finally I agree whole hearted with your comments E25... And yes PJ won a liston and is a muppet...

Ok, so we free up 1 space, does that mean we have to give players away for next to nothing? We're upgrading our pick 66 to 52, and losing a player. Doesn't look that great on paper, regardless of us needing to free up a space.

The fact that it doesn't look good on paper is meaningless to me.

Whatever they do with that pick, it looks good to me. Johnson may get a reprieve here, or McNamara.

For varying reasons Cheney was more expendable than either in my view.

Hope we didn't force him, and happy to see him develop elsewhere.

I can 100% confirm that this was not the case (source= interview with his manager Alex McDonald).

He was told he wasn't going to play much next year and wasn't a big part of future plans. He asked Melbourne to be traded in order to get more opportunities else where.

Nothing wrong with this trade. Frees up a spot to use pick 32 and don't really lose much

I think the fact we gave them a pick to upgrade our 3rd rounder, rather than just doing it for pick 97, indicates that at least one other player will be delisted and we will use pick 53.

I'm reading the tea-leaves that way too - two extra players to be delisted to bring that pick into play.

Good luck to Kyle - gives his very best and gets a better opportunity with the Hawks.