Tyrone Vickery (from September 2010)

MadAsHell

It's just been reported that Will Thursfield will be seeking a trade out of Richmond which means that they will now be a tall defender down. If you ask me this represents the perfect opportunity for Melbourne to strike and land an ideal 2nd ruckman/forward. Former no 8 draft pick from the same draft as Jack Watts, Tyrone Vickery,

Back in the 2008 draft before Melbouren announced that Watts would be the player they would select with pick no 1 they said they were mainly deciding between Watts, Nik Nat, Rich & you guesed it, Vickery.

Vickery has now had two years under his belt and has been exposed to AFL football. He can ruck & play forward and we know Melbourne obviously rate him highly.

Imagine if we poached Vickery from Richmond, then in a few years even when Jamar has retired we'd have the giant Max Gawn and Vickery & Fitzpatrick battling it out for no 2 ruck role, or Vickery possibly battling Gawn for the no 1 role?

Obviosuly this wouldn't come cheaply, I'm talking of Warnock & Pick 12, we might then get say pick 46 thrown back our way with Vickery, with Richmond now without Thursfield they'll be looking for another key defender & Warnock would walk staright in at Punt rd.

Personally I think I'd be a great get by us and I for one would be fully behind it!

What do others think?

2 things would need to change........his speed and his ticker

I reckon he moves ok, needs to work on his agility a bit but overal I think he moves reasonably for his size.

He does need to harden up though I'll give you that.

?? Richmond lose one...and you think the other is now up for grabs...seems illogical

He would never leave anyway.

He was a tigers supporter and if I remember correctly, I think his old man is the tigers' boxing coach?

I'm not sure that losing their 3rd string KPD means the tigers would trade away their future number 1 ruckman.

Gus is no number 1 ruckman.

?? Richmond lose one...and you think the other is now up for grabs...seems illogical

Only in order to cover their tall defender shortage.

Thursfile dleaving leaves them with Moore, Rance & McGuane. And lets face it Kelvin Moore's a bit like Joel MacDoanld in that he can play on the talls if you really need him to but he's more of a rebounding running defender.

In the ruck Angus Graham & Andrew Browne are currently ahead of Vickery, and they're experimenting with Post as a 2nd ruck also.

He would never leave anyway.

He was a tigers supporter and if I remember correctly, I think his old man is the tigers' boxing coach?

That does make it souns like it probably wouldn't happen your right.

I think youll find TV is suffering that devlopmental inertia problem and will probably fire up a bit in season 2011. Richmond will be thinking this and hes going nowhere.

Ok so Rivers leaves Melbourne and then we trade away Watts for pick 12 and Will Thursfield.

Not quite the same as

A: Tall defenders is an area where we have depth & Richmond don't

B: Watts is a younger,more talented and has far, far more upside then Thursfiled.

To find a comparison would be if Mark Jamar requested a trade. We'd then probably trade someone like Jones and a draft pick for a quality ruckman or Gysberts on his own for one of the better ruckmen in the comp.

When was the last time a team has traded a player, that was a 1st round draft pick and who has only been on their list for two years?

The Meese was traded after three years, originally taken in the top 10.

(And we all know how that worked out....)

Edit: Similar situation with Cameron Wood.

Edited by Dr. Mubutu

It's just been reported that Will Thursfield will be seeking a trade out of Richmond which means that they will now be a tall defender down. If you ask me this represents the perfect opportunity for Melbourne to strike and land an ideal 2nd ruckman/forward. Former no 8 draft pick from the same draft as Jack Watts, Tyrone Vickery,

Back in the 2008 draft before Melbouren announced that Watts would be the player they would select with pick no 1 they said they were mainly deciding between Watts, Nik Nat, Rich & you guesed it, Vickery.

Vickery has now had two years under his belt and has been exposed to AFL football. He can ruck & play forward and we know Melbourne obviously rate him highly.

Imagine if we poached Vickery from Richmond, then in a few years even when Jamar has retired we'd have the giant Max Gawn and Vickery & Fitzpatrick battling it out for no 2 ruck role, or Vickery possibly battling Gawn for the no 1 role?

Obviosuly this wouldn't come cheaply, I'm talking of Warnock & Pick 12, we might then get say pick 46 thrown back our way with Vickery, with Richmond now without Thursfield they'll be looking for another key defender & Warnock would walk staright in at Punt rd.

Personally I think I'd be a great get by us and I for one would be fully behind it!

What do others think?

Leave him for one year, then we can make a play if circumstances allow.

I was a massive fan of his during the U-18s,,, this boy can play..... But,,,, we don't need another project Ruck,,, This Year...

Next year after seeing Spencer & we've looked over Gawn,,, Then we may need to get another Ruck. He would be fantastic then,,,,IMO...

BUT,,, right now,,, we need an Insurance policy. Gardiner,,, Charman,,, Cox,,, Jacobs,,,,,,,,Fraser,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hale............

I don't buy into that at all, the 2008 draft was a 2 horse race for the number 1 pick. It was Watts and Naitanui, a country mile, then everybody else.

And no, absolutely zero interest in recruiting a developing ruckman who has only been the system a couple of years. Especially when Gawn has all the attributes to potentially become the next Sandilands.

I don't buy into that at all, the 2008 draft was a 2 horse race for the number 1 pick. It was Watts and Naitanui, a country mile, then everybody else.

And no, absolutely zero interest in recruiting a developing ruckman who has only been the system a couple of years. Especially when Gawn has all the attributes to potentially become the next Sandilands.

Did you watch Vickery play in the U-18's?

So not only do we lose pick 12, but we lose a KPD (what happens if another KPD goes down for us), for a ruckman who does not justify us giving up Warnock alone (let alone pick 12). A huge no.

That's why we still have Martin & McNamara on the list. Also MacDonald & Bruce are capable of playing tall.