2010 Player Review - # 2 Nathan Jones

Demonland

I think he improved this year in his role as a tagger, but his pace is still an issue in this role.

Not sure if that will change.

Continues to improve year after year, but I think he is fast approaching his limit.

Kicking has improved, albeit marginally.

Decision-making has become a little better.

Trade bait?

I think so, as long as it's the right deal.

I would not be happy to let him go cheaply.

If not, I think he'll be in and out of the team next year, and then probably request a trade for 2012 instead.

I think Jones improved his disposal and decision making marginally this year but was still pushed down the pecking order by the volume of quality kids pushing into the team headed by Scully, Trengove and McKenzie. He has the right tools of determination, strength and endurance to be trialled as a tagger but I feel showed he is naturally drawn to the ball and struggled at times with laying a consistent tight tag. If still at the Dees would like to see him persevered with in this role but feel he may be lost to another side for more midfield opportunity.

I thought that Jones improved this year. He seems like he works very hard on his deficiencies which is a great credit to him, because they are things that take some dedication to fix.

He came to the club as a really strong outside runner with a great engine, and has had to work on converting himself into a more inside ball winner. He has improved on this area a great deal, which is good. He also had a habit of just kicking the ball forward when he got possession and tried to break tackles in order to get the space to kick it. This year I thought he made very good progress in giving the first option more often and he wasn't caught trying to break too many tackles as often. I think he's a much better run with player now than he was, which is also a credit to him.

What I really rate with Jones, that doesn't get mentioned enough, is his great durability. I think that this is an under-rated trait for footballers, as premierships are usually won by teams with very few injuries.

His attitude, endurance and durability make him a valuable player to have on the list. He has failings in that he isn't a naturally classy player with his ball use, which is important to the style of game we are looking to play, and he's a natural ball watcher. I think Jordie McKenzie is the player that we hope Jones could be, if he used the ball as cleanly in traffic, but Jordie is already at that level and improving.

I would prefer to keep him, as he offers good long term depth as someone who would play 15 games every year and is rarely injured, but it would be understandable if he chose to move on for his own career. With Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, McKenzie all starting to progress past him into the 'inside midfielder' role, Jones might be better off to seek more opportunity.

He'd be great to keep at the club, but if he leaves then I would harbour no ill feeling towards him.

In 2010 Jones got an eduction, like many of the players at our club they re learning to play roles that they haven't played in the past. Will Jones become a defensive midfielder, yes but no more than any other player in our midfield group. This year IMO the coach identified a weakness in his game and put him in a position to improve. It is the same as Dunn over the past few years, teach them to have a strong defensive side of their game to improve them as a player. Jones will again in 2011 play a similar role to this year but it will change slightly to match him against players he is better suited to.

When assessing our players we need to consider what 2010 was about, continuing to educate our players and make them better footballers which in turn makes us a better team, Jones got to run with some very good footballers and this will make him a better player in 2011 and beyond.

He still needs to learn that he isn't superman and can break every tackle, he has players around him with ability he needs to look to use the first option and not take on the world.

He is???

Scully has already overtaken him in the midfield. Trengove will next year. He is going to have to fight hard to hold his place. :rolleyes:

Jones earlier in the year was quoted as saying that Scully makes him better.

Jones is essential for next year. The midfield is still very inexperienced and undersized, so we need his experience and big body. With Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, McKenzie, etc we need some experienced mids to aide in these guys development. To many times this year our midfield was undersized to other teams and we were smashed at stoppages and centre clearances. In the near future, when the young boys bulk up this won't be a problem. As Junior has retired, we need fella's like Jones, Moloney, Davey, Green, Bruce, Jamar to lead this young team.

If Jones does leave, we should consider looking at an experienced midfielder like a Salopek maybe.

He is???

Scully has already overtaken him in the midfield. Trengove will next year. He is going to have to fight hard to hold his place. :rolleyes:

I agree - however with competition makes all players better.Jones still has improvement if not he may not last after next year but I say definately keep him for now.The team needs back up if they get injuries as well.Also, note, Jones was lik his mentor ,guardian went he went to the club.They knew each other well as both formally played at Dandy Stingrays.This helped Sculls in his development/settling in period.

Edited by jayceebee31

Jones adds hardness to this team. Until our kids develop physically he is far too valuable to part with.

Jones isn't exactly in his late 30's, he is young and has some development left in him. An injury free pre-season and season will do his career wonders. He has been a tad unlucky with injuries so far.

Axis's summation is pretty close for mine. And still I temper it with for want of a better word similar misgivings as viewed by Rhino etc . I just wonder if he can step up again. Has he hit his bar ? With the limes of Tapscott etc still to come through has he (jones) enough strings to his bow ? Reminds me in a fashion of Miller in that you really can't ask for any more heart or endeavour ... It's just the results. Jones has had to change his game this year and might just become more polished and effective in it come next season . Hope he does as has a lot to give... The risk of being eclipsed is real though ... Only time will tell

Seriously don't want to lose him in the short term. His hardness at the pill and desire to continually smash into packs for the hard ball are what we need over the 2-3 years it will take to put decent bodies onto the likes of Scully, Trengove, McKenzie, Gysberts, Tapscott, Blease etc.

If we lose him we will get smashed at the stoppages more next year and everyone will be bleeding about him going.

Still has value and at a crucial age where he can hopefully really take another step up this year as he will be looked up to by the younger guys.