Who will take the reins from Junior..?

demondomination

MFC Captain 2011  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Moloney is a berserker for the club, and definitely a potent leader, but does he suit the particular responsibilities of a 'modern' captain, and is his leadership best delivered in his own, effective and informal, way?

Davey is a gun and again is definitely a leader at the club, but I think his tendency to let taggers under his skin once in a while and throw some really embarrassing dives and sooks is unfortunate and knocks him back as THE captain as opposed to being A leader. Again, his best leadership is informal, subtle and personal and I don't know if it would be helped by being made Captain.

Grimes... I think by the end of his career he will have the stature of only a handful of players of his time, built on deep respect. But I don;t think being passed the captaincy right now would help to get the most out of him or offer the club the best result of the options.

So for me, it is Green. Versatile enough to go where needed on the field. A first-class player who lately has shown he knows how to work himself back into games after poor starts. 'Solid citizen' and confident with media, sometimes even enough to say genuinely interesting things!

He missed the leadership group a few years back due to a variety of circumstances, but he also took in some criticsm at the time and to his great credit acted on it. And yeah, he sacrificed a six-figure sum to stay at the Demons in tough times. Loyalty is easy to have when it isn't tested. His has been tested and it came through.

I think Green is the player that we would get the most benefit from making captain, too. The other contenders already deliver most of what they can and won't necessarily bring more if made captain. But I simply feel that Green will respond the most to the position and that his appointment would be the one that the club would gain the most out of.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Candidates are Bruce, Green, Moloney. That's it. Davey is not captaincy material. He exhibits little to no on-field leadership, doesn't do any media at all. His work with our indigenous players has been well documented and he unquestionably brings the best out of them, but he is not captaincy material. Sorry.

Green, for mine, is the best package. He's in the prime of his career, he already exhibits on-field leadership (let's try not to have that debate again though...), he seems comfortable in the media when I see him (which isn't that often though), and he could feasibly take the job for the next 3-4 years, after which I guess Grimes would be the next choice.

Moloney and Bruce have their pros (and cons), but Green for mine is the standout.

Nothing against Frawley because he is quickly becoming a star, but I don't see him as a leader.

Between Green and Moloney.

Agree. Captain cannot play fulldog, imo we need a captain that plays in the guts.

Moloney or Green for me, but i'd go for Moloney.

It really is a tough one. Green is my choice too but I'm not sure he'd be the choice of his team-mates. It was only two years ago that he was overlooked for a position in the large leadership group of a very young team. Moloney has been impressive but am I the only one who thinks his position in the team might be questioned within 12 months? Rivers is equally impressive but could struggle to keep his place as well. Davey has done some great things but discipline when targetted in big games is a real issue. Grimes and the younger brigade aren't ready and would upset the dynamic if given the top job too soon. Sylvia might be ready for the leadership group but needs to keep clean off the park for more than 18 months. I hope Green's stocks have risen amongst the playing group because he definitely ticks all the boxes. He's solid with the media, cleanskin off the field, is in career best form and has consistently played well when we've needed him most. He's also got the flexibility to go where the action is when we need our captain to lead through action.

I'd have Green as my skipper. Moloney as the vice captain. I'd retain Davey and Rivers in the leadership group. Promote Jamar, give Syliva added responsibility and then round out the leadership team with Grimes as the young skipper in waiting. Who's with me?

Out of interest would everyone who say's Green should be captain have thought the same as last year? Just a question...

If we were going the "Tom Harley: option would be iether Garland or Rivers...

Rivers does put in heart & soul....

Really my only issue with Green is that he is 29, and will be 30 by the start of next season. This means another captain will need to be chosen in 3 or 4 years.

Players that fit into the "right" age bracket are worth a thought: Morton, Grimes, Chip, Pettard, Garland, Jones, Sylvia, Rivers, MOLONEY, and maybe Davey.

Moloney is the guy that will probably get the job, right age, right attitude, right sort / type of player...

I would be happy with Beamer, and even happier with Grimes as he would be in the job for 10 years+.

Who ever it is has big boots to fill. I want us to win this week for junior, and look forward to saying goodbye to a MFC champion against the Roo's next week...

Moloney has been impressive but am I the only one who thinks his position in the team might be questioned within 12 months?

I'd have Green as my skipper. Moloney as the vice captain. I'd retain Davey and Rivers in the leadership group. Promote Jamar, give Syliva added responsibility and then round out the leadership team with Grimes as the young skipper in waiting. Who's with me?

Agree with the Moloney call or more so will battle it out for spots in what will quickly become a competitive midfield group in which to get a game.

Agree with the captain & leadership group but not sure why Green hasn't been skipper when Junior was missing. Makes me doubt the club & playing groups intentions of making him captain.

Edited by Demon Hill

Out of interest would everyone who say's Green should be captain have thought the same as last year? Just a question...

Thats a fair question..I think he was there abouts for many supporters without necessarily having stamped himself on the job. Hes done a fair campaign this year

If we were going the "Tom Harley: option would be iether Garland or Rivers...

Nonsensical argument. Harley was picked because he was the most suited at that time.

Rivers does put in heart & soul....

So do most in the red and blue.. not sufficient to take the honours of captaincy

Really my only issue with Green is that he is 29, and will be 30 by the start of next season. This means another captain will need to be chosen in 3 or 4 years.

Yes....and Yes.... point ??

Players that fit into the "right" age bracket are worth a thought: Morton, Grimes, Chip, Pettard, Garland, Jones, Sylvia, Rivers, MOLONEY, and maybe Davey.

you dont pick a captain simply on age... its whether they aare captain material etc.. a good leader..and all that

Moloney is the guy that will probably get the job, right age, right attitude, right sort / type of player...

maybe as a sound lieutenant type...captain ??

I would be happy with Beamer, and even happier with Grimes as he would be in the job for 10 years+.

Who ever it is has big boots to fill. I want us to win this week for junior, and look forward to saying goodbye to a MFC champion against the Roo's next week...

we dont need to pick a 5 year cpatian.. just someone who is appropiate to the role for as long as required. Edited by belzebub59

Green will most likely get the job (and deservedly so) but if it was my call I would go for Sylvia. Yes I expect dozens of negative comments but the bloke is a gem.

SRO - Ive already copped an earfull about Sylvia being captain, I for one think he is a good option.

Although apparently he was on SEN saying he didnt want the job and just wanted to concentrate on his own game.

Anything but joint captains, please. That is the biggest corporate [censored] tactic of all time.

And if we do run with joint captains, can one of them be Grimes?... if only he was 2 years older/more experienced. He'd walk into the job and walk out a premiership captain.

I have enormous respect for Moloney, for all of the obvious reasons. But a captain needs to represent the club off the field, too. The little I've seen of him in the media suggests he can't do that, he's not articulate enough. I think Green ticks the boxes. Solid in front of the cameras and a great player who can turn a game himself. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was Davey. It was Davey who carried Jimmy's jumper off with Junior last year and him on the new emblem video. Either would be a good choice, with Moloney as vice captain and spiritual leader. I'd love to see Col Sylvia in the mix. But I think he's still potentially too volatile.

Surprised no one has started a poll until now.

My money is on Cameron Bruce and I have Jared Rivers as a smokey.

What do you guys think?

Edited by E25

Green for mine... Although Bruce would have to be firm favorite as he is current VC. I'm very much hoping the MFC don't go down that path - he is 30 years old and, dammit, if I see him run out to the middle in those blue trackies one more time I'll go off my nut!

And FINALLY someone who rates Rivers as a chance!!! He's my smoky as well.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Is this vote binding on the MFC? If it is then I would like to put my hand up for the job. I may never have racked up the stats but I can tell you that I have never played a bad game for the club.

Lets deal with the here and now shall we. There are a number of heir apparents acording to various observers. But who has the "C" factor right now. Who has that composure , the ability to muster the troops, to lead on and off the track ?

Grimes is definitely in a group of those that will be considered in due course, but that will and ought to be a little ways away.

This person also needs to be on the padock nearly all the time. Am not a big fan of injury prone captains ...sort of negates the effectiveness.

I can see no reason why Green wouldnt be around for 3 or so years and that would work well as Captain.