Match Preview and Team Selection

Demonland

Agree that Newton is a good shot to play. He offers so much more than PJ around the ground, and his ruck work isn't likely to be much worse.

My Bench would be Newton, Bail, Morton and McKenzie. I'm another who thinks that Moloney may have to play a week at Casey just to get his match fitness up. Also, traveling with a dodgy muscle injury is a bad move. If he's not 100%, I wouldn't be risking him.

Edit: forgot Jordie. We can't play the game without him. I had Bate in there, but that would make us very heavy on forwards.

Edited by RalphiusMaximus

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newton's selection is as big a surprise as we've had all year. The only thing that could be bigger would be seeing Daniel Bell named for next week.

Surely one, and only one, of PJ and Newton will play. The Casey argument makes sense, but I can't see Newton being on our list next year which makes playing him redundant.

Bennell is very lucky to keep his spot IMO.

I'm looking for a bench of McKenzie, Moloney, PJ and Bail. Bail and McKenzie should be no-brainer selections. Bate hasn't done enough at Casey, Morton is closer and will be the likely replacement for Moloney if he doesn't come up.

Interesting to note that - according to MFC.com.au - Newton was in line for promotion when he injured his quad. Those making sarcastic remarks might not have been watching his VFL form, where he's pretty consistently been named in the best over the second half of the season. He's also been getting time playing in the ruck, which adds an important string to his bow.

I think our ruck stocks are pretty thin, and keeping Newton would be prudent. A couple of injuries next year and our ruck stocks could be in dire trouble unless we intend to bring in a mature tall or two. Not only that, but I think he might give us more than the other second ruck options like Martin and PJ. IMO you need a second string to your bow as relief ruck and PJ doesn't have it. I like Martin but he's no certainty to make the grade. Meesen looks done, Gawn and Fitzpatrick* are only in their first year, and I'm not sure Spencer can earn a gig if he doesn't play as number one ruck.

But a spot on the senior list? Unworthy. I don't think he can be retained on the rookie list, but if he could then he probably will be. But despite the arguments above, he's just nowhere near good enough to keep a spot on the senior list.

Agree with others; would like to see Newton come in for PJ as second ruck. His form in the VFL playing relief ruck/forward warrants it, and PJ was poo on the weekend (again).

As for the other in's, really hard to call. I am surprised that Jamie Bennell is named in the starting 18, thought he was skating on thin ice.

Likely bench: McKenzie, Bail, Newton, Moloney (if not fit, Bate)

i think this weeks selections say alot about where Brad Miller is at right now. There appears to be no future for him at MFC.

Newton.....WTF :wacko:

Absolutely. Miller's papers have been signed.

Not sure but I think PJ qualifies for Casey if he plays this week and they need a ruckman for the finals. Think he may play for Casey and then in their finals side where he will carry the ruck.

Could be a good point you raise there Redleg. I'd be interested know just how many more games PJ needs to play at Casey to qualify? No doubt Casey will be wanting him there come finals time, where he'll be a huge key to their fortunes.

Perhaps this is a last chance for Newton to show that he can contribute. Something like "show us that it is worth promoting you back to the senior list next year instead of using that pick on an untried young player." Maybe he's being given the final two games to either win himself a spot in the team of the next decade or farewell the club in style.

Newton will need at least 4-6 consecutive games to prove himself. you can not expect to play a 'rookie' for 2 games and expect him to dominate... he is no McKenzie!!!!

But if Miller is gone and the rumours are true that Bate is off to GC, then we can not afford to lose another forward, regardless.

Bench: Mckenzie, Bail, Moloney (if fit, otherwise Morton), Newton.

Just on Newton, although he has had a starring role in our most embarrassing and humiliating losses over the last couple of years, he is actually a bigger bodied footballer now. Having seen him close up at training recently, I was impressed with his size, but also with his kicking during drills and intensity in general. I'm not advocating that he be re-signed, but I reckon he is a better option than PJ this weekend.

Also on Bennell, he has been quiet in last couple of weeks, but without Davey I wouldn't be surprised if they don't push him up the ground to use his pace through the midfield. He also kicked four against the Power last time round and I reckon that has kept in the squad. Would love to see Morton and Bate have outstanding games before getting back in the team.

Go Dees!

All the club keeps talking about is getting games into young players that will eventually win us a premiership (hopefully).

How Newton fits into that equation I do not know.

If Newton gets selected ahead of Morton, Bail or McKenzie (what is he doing on the bench anyway? :lol:), then it goes against everything that we've apparently tried to achieve this year.

All the club keeps talking about is getting games into young players that will eventually win us a premiership (hopefully).

How Newton fits into that equation I do not know.

If Newton gets selected ahead of Morton, Bail or McKenzie (what is he doing on the bench anyway? :lol:), then it goes against everything that we've apparently tried to achieve this year.

I don't think Newton will be around next year

But, here's afew reasons he "might" get PJ's 2nd ruck position

1. Has been doing ruck work at Casey and picking up kicks around ground

2. His form at Casey has been quite good

3. Could kick a couple resting in forward line

4. Probably a better player than PJ

5. A "thank-you"/"farewell" reward for accepting the rookie position so club could get extra draft pick

I don't think he would be any worse than PJ and TMR needs the odd rest

I don't think Newton will be around next year

5. A "thank-you"/"farewell" reward for accepting the rookie position so club could get extra draft pick

Im not a fan but i think he is only 24...

I've been saying for weeks now - Newton should be the only rookie retained for next year.

I don't think he deserves a spot on the senior list, but I think as a rookie he is definitely worth persevering with.

It's a familiar story, but his form at Casey has looked solid to me and I think he is just a guy that has taken some time to mature, but can still be serviceable.

I only want him for depth, but I want him.

Considering we are likely to move on all other rookies, I see no compelling reason to get rid of him at this time.

Good points but I would skip point 5.

FWIW, I would rather give Newts a one year contract than PJ on a low wage.

After 5 years on the list, PJ just cant take the first ruck role and does not have the requirements to impact forward or in the centre.

Newton has his issues but I hold more hope in Newton clicking and display his potential than PJ suddenly discovering the basic core big man talents that he has lacked all along.

I dont think Newton will accept a rookie wage to be on the rookie list and I am not sure he could be rookied again.

Good points but I would skip point 5.

FWIW, I would rather give Newts a one year contract than PJ on a low wage.

After 5 years on the list, PJ just cant take the first ruck role and does not have the requirements to impact forward or in the centre.

Newton has his issues but I hold more hope in Newton clicking and display his potential than PJ suddenly discovering the basic core big man talents that he has lacked all along.

I dont think Newton will accept a rookie wage to be on the rookie list and I am not sure he could be rookied again.

I didn't mean point 5 as a standalone reason but it might be the last straw if it was a tight decision

Anyway we'll find out later today

Edited by daisycutter

IIRC Meesen was the mature-age rookie this year, meaning Newton could take that spot this year.

Whether he'd agree to remaining on the rookie list or not...

I'm not sure it's necessarily up to him.

It might be rookie list, or go play in the SANFL.

Just on the Newton / PJ subject.... is it me or IF Newton could kick straight %70 of the time, he could be a handy 2-3 goal a week forward / ruck man? IMO He is a better mark but not as good a kick as PJ whos marking made me so angry last weekend...

Just on the Newton / PJ subject.... is it me or IF Newton could kick straight %70 of the time, he could be a handy 2-3 goal a week forward / ruck man? IMO He is a better mark but not as good a kick as PJ whos marking made me so angry last weekend...

Yes, if being the operative word. He hasn't done that so far, and he doesn't have unlimited time to do it.

He's unworthy of a spot on the senior list IMO so it's another year as a rookie or deslited for Newton.