This heart beats true for the red and blue

jackaub

There's nothing we can do about the white on our jumpers until we start winning and making the AFL money.

Think I said the same in my earlier post - so whilst there might not be a lot we can do about it until then, what's wrong with discussing it and putting it high on the "must do" list?

"Do you like the design?"

No I don't like it.

Was a poll or market research done ?

I don't know - do you ?

I would have thought 'Get out of debt' or 'Win premiership' might just pip that one on the list.

I don't know if research was done, but I'd at least check with the club before publishing that they probably did nothing.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melbourne 2nd August 2010 - The AFL today announces radical solution to clash jumper controversy

Under pressure from passionate supporter groups the AFL has announced that from April 1 next year all clubs will be required to adhere to new specifications for home and away strips . The CEO of the AFL, Andrew Dimitriou said today that this issue had been drawn to his attention by various supporter groups but especially the Melbourne Demons supporter group DEMONLAND. Mr. Dimitriou said that the AFL was not an autocratic organisation and was always interested in a level-playing field for all clubs. He said the AFL was especially interested in the views of the supporters and saw them as the true custodians of the game.

From April 1 next year all clubs will be required to have two identical strips. One jumper will be fluoro-pink for the home strip, while fluoro-yellow will be used as the away strip. Socks will match the jumpers. As a respect for the traditions of the game shorts will be black for the home team and white for the away team. Clubs will be able to highlight their traditional colours by adding an emblem to the jumper and/or shorts not exceeding 97mm wide by 119mm high. Sponsor logo rules will remain as is. Numbers on the back of the jumpers will remain the same size but be white on a black square.

Leading club officials and TV executives contacted today for comment were unanimously in favour of the changes and said that the AFL's forward thinking on this matter should herald in a new phase of this great game. PM Julia Gillard said it was "pleasing to see the AFL moving forward" whilst Leader of the Opposition Tony Abbot said "it was good for the AFL to stand up for real action'' .

This whole clash strip issue will become way easier to defend when we are able to stand up on our own. Absolutely.

An important point to take into consideration is the Collinngwood-Essendon & to a slightly lesser degree Richmond

These 3 clubs pull big crowds we all know that, But they also pull almost as many to an away game, so regardless of who wins the Stadium is making coin.

The Home Grounds have all gone to Memory now in victoria apart from MCG and skilled-So where is the advantage??

Putting the away team in an insipid white strip is a very big Psychological advantage coupled with a small crowd supporting them.

In Round 3 this year we played Adelaide. If the Word adelaide had not been on the scoreboard, i would have had no idea who we were playing, as i refuse to pay for the Footy Record which has become a joke. Let's take away the away teams identity & see if they sink or swim is the attitude, and it really stinks.

The MFC's biggest problem going forward is we supporters do not go to the Docklands in numbers-as the team improves i hope this attendance increases.

But these white strips must be stopped within the AFL-it's wrong.

Shall be very interesting to see what happens at essendon next year, as it is in their constitution that the members must vote on any jumper change.

They will not vote for white-that's st.kilda.

Melbourne 2nd August 2010 - The AFL today announces radical solution to clash jumper controversy

Under pressure from passionate supporter groups the AFL has announced that from April 1 next year all clubs will be required to adhere to new specifications for home and away strips . The CEO of the AFL, Andrew Dimitriou said today that this issue had been drawn to his attention by various supporter groups but especially the Melbourne Demons supporter group DEMONLAND. Mr. Dimitriou said that the AFL was not an autocratic organisation and was always interested in a level-playing field for all clubs. He said the AFL was especially interested in the views of the supporters and saw them as the true custodians of the game.

From April 1 next year all clubs will be required to have two identical strips. One jumper will be fluoro-pink for the home strip, while fluoro-yellow will be used as the away strip. Socks will match the jumpers. As a respect for the traditions of the game shorts will be black for the home team and white for the away team. Clubs will be able to highlight their traditional colours by adding an emblem to the jumper and/or shorts not exceeding 97mm wide by 119mm high. Sponsor logo rules will remain as is. Numbers on the back of the jumpers will remain the same size but be white on a black square.

Leading club officials and TV executives contacted today for comment were unanimously in favour of the changes and said that the AFL's forward thinking on this matter should herald in a new phase of this great game. PM Julia Gillard said it was "pleasing to see the AFL moving forward" whilst Leader of the Opposition Tony Abbot said "it was good for the AFL to stand up for real action'' .

That's what we are up against DC. I hope you wrote that-it's good!!!

That's what we are up against DC. I hope you wrote that-it's good!!!

And, an appropriate date (1st April) to put a stop to such nonsense...but not sure about fluoro pink...LOL

Edited by BangkokDemon

A tad early for April fools.

See now, this is where I move from dismissiveness to annoyed and a little [censored] off.

You are essentially saying that my acceptance, for reasonable and historical purposes, of this white guernsey is tacit approval for the dismantling of the club's emblems and the homogenisation of the game.

And that is nonsense.

At home - we should be king. I would approve Cam Schwab putting up with a massive fine to not adhere to any jumper swap in our home games. But I realise that our great red and blue jumper clashes with other jumpers and I will cede us wearing that guernsey in selected away games. Why? Because other clubs have just as much right at home to wear their jumper.

And you spelled ADs name wrong.

At home - we should be king. I would approve Cam Schwab putting up with a massive fine to not adhere to any jumper swap in our home games. But I realise that our great red and blue jumper clashes with other jumpers and I will cede us wearing that guernsey in selected away games. Why? Because other clubs have just as much right at home to wear their jumper.

This is pretty much my opinion, too. I'm (relatively) okay with having to wear a clash strip at our away games, but I'll be damned if I'll ever be happy to watch Melbourne play a home game in anything other than navy blue with a blood-red yoke.

Breaking News: Melbourne 3rd August 2010 - AFL to introduce high tech solution for clash jumper disaster

Along with the new electronic boundary and goal detector systems (eBAG) to be introduced for next season, the AFL announced today a revolutionary new computerised electronic team-mate anti clash system (eTAC) that will also be debuted in time for next season. This will allow players and spectators to easily identify their team-mates and avoid the need for the unpopular clash jumpers. Secret trials have recently been completed by ACS (Myki developer) and proven to be 101% effective.

Details of this amazing breakthrough are still being kept under wraps but the basics were announced at the press release today. Players will have a microscopic electronic chip imbedded under their skin and attached to the nervous system. This chip which contains a next generation GPS will both identify the player and receive feedback of all teammates which in turn using AI techniques will be transformed into discrete nerve impulses. Communications is said to use a new proprietary version of the popular Bluetooth technology (called Blue&RedTooth) allowing communications upto 200 metres. Special highly secure encryption will be implemented to avoid hackers attempting to interfere.

The technology will be rolled out in phases. Phase 1 will allow the players to identify their team-mates. Phase 2 will provide for spectators to purchase special side-lit glasses containing an utra thin see-through LCD panel which can receive the communications and provide various options to highlight players. Details were still secret. Phase 3 will allow TV broadcasters to pickup the signals and modify their broadcasts. They could then use the information to provide coloured electronic pointers, reverse-image or player name labels on their screen as an identification aid. With all the players GPS information cable operators were expected to provide extra value-add pay-for services.

Leading Teams has won the contract to train the players in bio-feedback techniques to utilise this new technology. Training is expected to commence early in the new year and be completed before the NAB cup. Further details on this exciting new development will be announced during Grand Final week.

Leading civil rights activists have praised the AFL for finally putting to rest their (predominately) White Australia policy but were concerned about whether AFL players would be able to cope with artificial intelligence, and have recommended all players be offered adequate counselling in case of nervous system overload.

OK, I know, but it was slow day . . . .

See now, this is where I move from dismissiveness to annoyed and a little [censored] off.

You are essentially saying that my acceptance, for reasonable and historical purposes, of this white guernsey is tacit approval for the dismantling of the club's emblems and the homogenisation of the game.

And that is nonsense.

And you spelled ADs name wrong.

Hey, Sheesh, lighten up rfpc, This post was not aimed at you nor in reply to you - whatever made you think that?

Just a bit of light hearted satire and not meant to be personal to anyone

Hey, Sheesh, lighten up rfpc, This post was not aimed at you nor in reply to you - whatever made you think that?

Whatever made me think you were replying to me?

Maybe it's the fact that you click 'Reply' at the bottom of my posts...

Just a bit of light hearted satire and not meant to be personal to anyone

The only one offended in this thread is comedy and wit.

Whatever made me think you were replying to me?

Maybe it's the fact that you click 'Reply' at the bottom of my posts...

Huh? I just checked, it says nothing about a reply to you on the post header.

The only one offended in this thread is comedy and wit.

You did brag in a previous post that your "stock in trade" was sarcasm and flippancy

I hope you have a plan B

Like I said, lighten up sunshine

This is pretty much my opinion, too. I'm (relatively) okay with having to wear a clash strip at our away games, but I'll be damned if I'll ever be happy to watch Melbourne play a home game in anything other than navy blue with a blood-red yoke.

But Chook where is the Logic for the MFC to wear an away strip against st.kilda, which we did this year as an example.

The Implementation of these Clash directives is dodgy-And i just hope that soon the Clubs stand up it-it's absolute BS.

The AFL just want everybody to get sick of it, and then stop complaining. I just don't think we should. (similiar to Collingwood playing the last 7 H&A games at the MCG, which will probably guarrentee them 2 home finals at least) Dodgy again.

But Chook where is the Logic for the MFC to wear an away strip against st.kilda, which we did this year as an example.

The Implementation of these Clash directives is dodgy-And i just hope that soon the Clubs stand up it-it's absolute BS.

The AFL just want everybody to get sick of it, and then stop complaining. I just don't think we should. (similiar to Collingwood playing the last 7 H&A games at the MCG, which will probably guarrentee them 2 home finals at least) Dodgy again.

The logic is the fact that they clash, if only slightly.

You want to be embrace our heritage and I understand and applaud that.

Times change, and modern football dictates a clear determination of the two teams playing.

And a 'white' strip has been worn by the MFC before.

If you like seeing 1858 on our new emblem then embrace the jumper they wore when they played back then.

I would love it if you or DC would articulate why I cannot embrace white as an MFC supporter for selected away games.

Edited by rpfc

you can embrace whatever you like RPFC, no problem with that, just don't expect me to ever do it.

And sorry i didn't quite follow your logic with wearing a white strip against St.kilda, not being nasty-just general fogginess. can you elaborate??

As mentioned by many before the jumper clash issue is largely only in the mind of the AFL.Football has been going for many ,many years and the jumper clash bulldust has only surfaced in recent times.How many REAL jumper clashes exist where spectators ,umpires or players have trouble telling teams apart.

The important point to note is that the AFL is a dictatorship and they have determined that we will wear white during games where they deem there to be a (ficticious) jumper clash.

I think there is merit in having 2 distinctly different strips that clearly define the 2 sides at a glance.

I personally don't care which side wears the red or the white on which occasion, as long as I can easily tell them apart in an instant.

This is not always the case (as with Melb vs St Kilda - different but both featuring red and dark colours, requiring a little more brainpower to tell them apart)

I understand how his affects the quality of the coverage and people's ease of enjoyment.

Personally I have no issue whatsoever with wearing a predominantly white away strip.

My issue is that I just don't like the current design.

I think it will change a bit next year anyway with the release of the "new" demon.

As mentioned by many before the jumper clash issue is largely only in the mind of the AFL.Football has been going for many ,many years and the jumper clash bulldust has only surfaced in recent times.How many REAL jumper clashes exist where spectators ,umpires or players have trouble telling teams apart.

The important point to note is that the AFL is a dictatorship and they have determined that we will wear white during games where they deem there to be a (ficticious) jumper clash.

Correct, & our club will be around long after this administration is long dead, so i think the Clubs need to be more vocal on this.

The Battle between Essendon & the AFL next year will tell us all a lot. How can Essendon be made to wear white, when the members will never vote for it.

I hope they take it to court, and all the clubs back them. Not even the EPL force clubs to wear white.

Also on a separate note - Who was Thorold Merritt, and was Thorold a popular name back in the day?

Right now I'm happy that we've won twice in the white jumper this year. If we are going to wear it we may as well win in it.

Merritt was a Magpie - and a rare one - total class and a nice bloke from what I could gleen of his manner on telly.

Highly skilled, beautiful stab pass (IE: a low, fast kick similar to a drop kick but lower trajectory and properly executed impossible for a defender to intercept) and all round good guy.

Played through the 50s and was in the Woods' team of the century.

If you like seeing 1858 on our new emblem then embrace the jumper they wore when they played back then.

I would love it if you or DC would articulate why I cannot embrace white as an MFC supporter for selected away games.

As WYL said, no problem with you embracing it, whatever your reason. It's your opinion.

As for the "Invincible Whites" rationalisation, for me personally it has no currency or great meaning. Just a byline in history as is "Fuschia's" and many other arcane aspects of MFC's history. I do still have a big soft-spot for "Redlegs" and wish we could have two nicknames, but that would not be very practical. At least it lives on in the membership group.

As WYL said, no problem with you embracing it, whatever your reason. It's your opinion.

As for the "Invincible Whites" rationalisation, for me personally it has no currency or great meaning. Just a byline in history as is "Fuschia's" and many other arcane aspects of MFC's history. I do still have a big soft-spot for "Redlegs" and wish we could have two nicknames, but that would not be very practical. At least it lives on in the membership group.

So then, is there not a case for including the white strip as one of our incarnations as only wearing red & blue is also just a facet of our history which you may or may not wish to recognize?

You're now practically saying you want to forge our history and write it in a favourable manner, using only the elements you see fit, without respect for the club's heritage.

I think you need to embrace either all of our club's heritage, or, dare I say it, none of it.

Merritt was a Magpie - and a rare one - total class and a nice bloke from what I could gleen of his manner on telly.

Highly skilled, beautiful stab pass (IE: a low, fast kick similar to a drop kick but lower trajectory and properly executed impossible for a defender to intercept) and all round good guy.

Played through the 50s and was in the Woods' team of the century.

Great memories Pitmaster. Bobby Skilton was also a great exponent of the stab and drop kick, and images of Donny Williams streaming off the backline with a 60m drop kick are still vivid in my memory. Or Billy Barrot pumping a drop kick from the centre bounce into the square

I still bemoan the demise of these kicks. They weren't for all players but for those few who mastered it, it was a joy to watch.

I wonder who was the last player to (deliberately) kick a drop kick in VFL/AFL?

So then, is there not a case for including the white strip as one of our incarnations as only wearing red & blue is also just a facet of our history which you may or may not wish to recognize?

You're now practically saying you want to forge our history and write it in a favourable manner, using only the elements you see fit, without respect for the club's heritage.

I think you need to embrace either all of our club's heritage, or, dare I say it, none of it.

No No, I don't want to rewrite history, nor not respect the heritage. I embrace and devour it all

That doesn't mean that I want to restore or return to all aspects our heritage. A good example I gave before was the Fuschias.

You're welcome to make a heritage connection to white, I grant it has a certain logic, and it is an interesting tidbit, it just doesn't do anything for me re a predomoinately white clash jumper. Nearly every team now has a white clash jumper, from a distance they all look the same, so where is the "we are Melbourne" look?