Lock it in - Watts or possibly McKenzie will get the Rising Star Nomination this week.

Watts got 27 touches, put his body on the line (again), set up goals, held it up in the scoring zone, ran the length of the ground the whole night. While he is a bit gun shy when it comes to kicking goals, he has been a great forward presence.

McKenzie got 26 touches, tough as nails, tackled, grappled, flicked out great handpasses from the pack, put in a 4 quarter effort, has all year. Is not a flashy player but you know you are going to get his best [censored] week in week out.

While I almost had heart failure about 5 times in the last quarter, I am loving this season and these guys deserve the nod.

Watts got 27 touches, put his body on the line (again), set up goals, held it up in the scoring zone, ran the length of the ground the whole night. While he is a bit gun shy when it comes to kicking goals, he has been a great forward presence.

McKenzie got 26 touches, tough as nails, tackled, grappled, flicked out great handpasses from the pack, put in a 4 quarter effort, has all year. Is not a flashy player but you know you are going to get his best [censored] week in week out.

While I almost had heart failure about 5 times in the last quarter, I am loving this season and these guys deserve the nod.

Hurley will get it this week - jordie and jack unlucky

Hurley will get it this week - jordie and jack unlucky

ONLY because Jordie's contested work doesn't get noticed. If it's an award for consistent good effort (Jarrad Grant, Phil Davis) then McKenzie should get it, but we all know what's really going to happen

Sigh.....

Here we go again...

Watts had one of his worst games last night. Shows how pointless possessions are. Possessions do not necessarily indicate a good

performance.

Look at players outside of MFC. We are not the only one's with talented youngsters.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

ONLY because Jordie's contested work doesn't get noticed. If it's an award for consistent good effort (Jarrad Grant, Phil Davis) then McKenzie should get it, but we all know what's really going to happen

As I said in the other McKenzie thread, it would be very hard to justify not giving Hurley the nomination this week. Jordie was fantastic, but if I had to be unbiased and I was on the committee, I would probably nominate Hurley.

Watts shouldn't even rate a mention. He was handy, but his wasnt a match-winning performance like Hurley's or McKenzie's.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not subscribing to the argument that Watts was poor last night, and that he simply ranked up cheap, wasted possessions, which seems to be the popular view. He made some mistakes in a high pressure environment and in conditions that didn't suit him, but the good far outweighed the bad, and, for mine, he played a pretty good game. It's just that there's probably half a dozen blokes who deserve this rounds Rising Star nomination ahead of him.

Edited by two sheds jackson

As I said in the other McKenzie thread, it would be very hard to justify not giving Hurley the nomination this week. Jordie was fantastic, but if I had to be unbiased and I was on the committee, I would probably nominate Hurley.

Watts shouldn't even rate a mention. He was handy, but his wasnt a match-winning performance like Hurley's or McKenzie's.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not subscribing to the argument that Watts was poor last night, and that he simply ranked up cheap, wasted possessions, which seems to be the popular view. He made some mistakes in a high pressure environment and in conditions that didn't suit him, but the good far outweighed the bad, and, for mine, he played a pretty good game. It's just that there's probably half a dozen blokes who deserve this rounds Rising Star nomination ahead of him.

Unfortunately, if you watched friday night, Hurley played a much better game than either McKenzie or Watts

Watts had one of his worst games last night. Shows how pointless possessions are. Possessions do not necessarily indicate a good

performance.

Look at players outside of MFC. We are not the only one's with talented youngsters.

First sentence = half bad. Yes, it's not all about possessions, but it's also about hard running, creating space, linking up and providing a target.

Second sentence = good. Too many on here get angry when one of our players doesn't get a nomination without realising that there are 15 other clubs out there. It's not the 'MFC Rising Star' award. As such, Hurley will get the nomination this week.

And here we go again....

Some people on here will never be happy with what ever Watts does.

Who be you speaking about?

I'm extremely happy with Watts and I think he will be a terrific player...

Once again. Realistic fair supporter vs the biased Melb supporter who can't seem to handle anyone fairly critizing a

player when it is due.

Don't get the thread sidetracked lads.

I think Jordie is in front of Jack in terms of an RS nomination. I do believe hurley might pip him but Jordie's season has been more consistent.

Who be you speaking about?

I'm extremely happy with Watts and I think he will be a terrific player...

Once again. Realistic fair supporter vs the biased Melb supporter who can't seem to handle anyone fairly critizing a

player when it is due.

I'm far from a biased Melbourne supporter but seriously re read your first post, if that is not having a go at some one who got praise from the commentators, press and a lot of others then I do not know what is, you said it was pretty much his worst game and he was [censored].

Be you I talking about.

Isnt Hurley inelligable, played 25 games so far

The rule is you can't have played more than 10 AFL games prior and you have to be younger than 21 on January 1 of the season. Hurley played 10 last year

Just checked the stats - McKenzie 120 SC points, Hurley 100. Good signs? Hurley also had 118 DT points, meaning his disposal was a bit inefficient.

I doubt the judges of the Rising Star take into account SuperCoach or DreamTeam points. :rolleyes:

They should. Considering their track record if a player had 30 touches with an efficiency of 10% they'd still get the nomination

I doubt the judges of the Rising Star take into account SuperCoach or DreamTeam points. :rolleyes:

Well that's just [censored]. They already don't have any credibility (watch Naitanui win the bloody thing), so how dare they not pick Jordie for collecting 100 odd Dream Team points? Disgrace!

Well that's just [censored]. They already don't have any credibility (watch Naitanui win the bloody thing), so how dare they not pick Jordie for collecting 100 odd Dream Team points? Disgrace!

Hurley had 118 though. That's why SuperCoach is better, because Jordie had a better game - 120 SuperCoach points to Hurley's 100.

if joride goes the whole season without a nomination then its a disgrace!!

also, i think the football public want watts to be a key forward - due to this fact alone he wont get a nomination unless he kicks a bag of goals :mad:

liked his game on the weekend - probably could have been close to getting a nomination if he backed himself to kick some close range goals instread of dishing them off to others?

if joride goes the whole season without a nomination then its a disgrace!!

also, i think the football public want watts to be a key forward - due to this fact alone he wont get a nomination unless he kicks a bag of goals :mad:

liked his game on the weekend - probably could have been close to getting a nomination if he backed himself to kick some close range goals instread of dishing them off to others?

I'm with you on Jackie Watts DWA. But he did mess up a few things and if he was more polished and maybe finished with a goal would be a rising nominee for sure this week.

Jordie - will get one, even if not this week.

A tough week this week with Jordie, Hurley and Watts - I also heard Ben Reid mentioned? Has he not got one yet?

I'm far from a biased Melbourne supporter but seriously re read your first post, if that is not having a go at some one who got praise from the commentators, press and a lot of others then I do not know what is, you said it was pretty much his worst game and he was [censored].

Be you I talking about.

I watched the game and didn't hear any praise about his game apart from the fact that

he was a high possession gatherer.

My old man listened to the game on the radio and told me that they

had said he wasn't having a great game.

I have re-read my first post and definitely didn't say he was [censored].

Don't know what you have been smoking.

I have no problem with Watts as I said and I think he will be fantastic but the game

against Brisbane wasn't a good one. Dropped way too many chest marks and didn't use the ball as well as he usually

does.

There is nothing wrong with what I have said about him.

Do yourself a favour and stop digging.

Watts was so far from a rising star nom on Saturday night it's not funny.

Optometrist for you methinks.

Naitanui isn't a snowflake's chance in hell of winning the Rising Star as of right now. The hype died down on him a couple of months ago when everyone realised he doesn't know where to run. That said, if the penny dropped and he ripped apart the last 4 games to pull West Coast off the bottom of the ladder the tide would turn quickly, but I can't imagine that actually happening.

Rising Star is 1 Hanneberry 2 Trengove 3 Rockliff.

Ha!

Mark Robinson has Hurley a shoe in to get this week's nomination... otherwise it would have been BEN REID!

No surprises.

No love for Jordie still (from outside the club).

I'm with Steve, I too don't understand why Jack was getting so much hype for his game on Saturday. The guys on the Sunday Footy Show rated it as one of his best games ever? Yes he got 27 possessions but I thought it was one of his worse games. Far too many turnovers and skill errors.

That said, it's great that he's even getting 27 touches and he's really starting to look like he'll be a gem with a few more games under his belt. Really looking forward to watching the 2012 model running about, he's going to be a star.

Back to the topic, and it's unbelievable that Jordie hasn't got a nomination yet. Is having terrible luck with other players lifting right at the wrong time. Although to be honest it's probably not a bad thing that he's flying under the radar outside the club. Definitely becoming one of my favourite players.

Edited by buddha82

Ha!

Mark Robinson has Hurley a shoe in to get this week's nomination... otherwise it would have been BEN REID!

No surprises.

No love for Jordie still (from outside the club).

Shows how much Robbo knows, Ben Reid has already been nominated this year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/96351/default.aspxhttp://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/96351/default.aspx