Matthew Warnock

Red Sox

If I were Matty Warncock I would be a bit frustrated in not receiving a call up for this weeks game. (He could still be a late inclusion?) Considering the job he did last time we played Brissy at the G and also given his superb form at Casey (credit to him), he may have expected a run this week.

My closest mates are Hawthorn supporters and they have no hesitation in saying they would love to take Warnock off our hands. They are baffled that we are not picking him.

IMO Bails etc have picked the right set up without Warnock and Riv is playing some good footy as the anchor down back. I wont even bother here going into the superlatives that describe Chip & Garland!

But with Fev & Brown in the line up, if either were to play at full potential they could become quite a handful for Riv or Col G. (I except Chip to take care of one of them!). I expect that Col may play on a Cornelius or Rockcliff, so at this stage Riv would take Fev. In his current form you might expect Riv to handle Fev but Fev is surely due to have a better game unless he is restricted severely as being suggested.

Going back to my Hawthorn mates, would it be impossible to think that Warnock could seek a trade? There are many good teams that would take him. Even at a St Kilda for example, I would have Warnock any day of the week before Dawson. Hawthorn need more defenders, badly.

His work ethic back at Casey has been great, no doubt he would be disappointed this week.

Edited by Demon Jack 16

Victim of our backline strength unfortunately. What are your Hawthorn mates offering as a trade? :)

I suggested Roughead, Nasher. They didn't like that but I said I would throw in our first pick plus Warnock.

They lean towards a Beau Dowler.

If I were Matty Warncock I would be a bit frustrated in not receiving a call up for this weeks game. (He could still be a late inclusion?) Considering the job he did last time we played Brissy at the G and also given his superb form at Casey (credit to him), he may have expected a run this week.

My closest mates are Hawthorn supporters and they have no hesitation in saying they would love to take Warnock off our hands. They are baffled that we are not picking him.

IMO Bails etc have picked the right set up without Warnock and Riv is playing some good footy as the anchor down back. I wont even bother here going into the superlatives that describe Chip & Garland!

But with Fev & Brown in the line up, if either were to play at full potential they could become quite a handful for Riv or Col G. (I except Chip to take care of one of them!). I expect that Col may play on a Cornelius or Rockcliff, so at this stage Riv would take Fev. In his current form you might expect Riv to handle Fev but Fev is surely due to have a better game unless he is restricted severely as being suggested.

Going back to my Hawthorn mates, would it be impossible to think that Warnock could seek a trade? There are many good teams that would take him. Even at a St Kilda for example, I would have Warnock any day of the week before Dawson. Hawthorn need more defenders, badly.

His work ethic back at Casey has been great, no doubt he would be disappointed this week.

Agree, was thinking he might be frustrated. Him being out of contract at the end of the year makes me a little nervous.

Even though he is not a core player, having depth in key defensive positions is absolutely crucial. Just look at how Hawthorn struggled when Croad and a couple other defenders went down last year!

Since Martin seems to have dropped off, and McNamara seems a little off the pace, we currently have 4 KPD- Garland, Frawley, Rivers and Warnock.

I want all 4 playing for us next year. 3 will play in the seniors at any one time, BUT we will have injuries, and we don't want to be found out.

I definitely don't want to lose Warnock, because if either of Rivers or Frawley went down he'd be in the team in an instance. Really I still think he is a touch unlucky to be out of it. Until we develop another big defender (which means until we draft one) Warnock is good depth. McNamara is cover for a third tall, but wouldn't be much use if he had to take on a real tall.

The reality of having a competitive football side means decent players will be playing in the VFL.

It happens at all other sides in the comp.

Not sure what makes people think our players will instantly want to leave once they play a few games in the VFL.

The reality of having a competitive football side means decent players will be playing in the VFL.

Not sure what makes people think our players will instantly want to leave once they play a few games in the VFL.

Not sure it happens at all other sides in the comp. Especially with Key position types.

Who is the full back at Geel knocking at the door? St Kilda? Hawthorn? Dogs? Certainly none at Collingwood as they had Anthony playing full back on Miller last week who kicked 4.4.

Not suggesting that will 'instantly' want to leave, but he would be frustrated, especially this week. He would also be aware of his currency being out of contract, well his manager would.

Not sure it happens at all other sides in the comp. Especially with Key position types.

Who is the full back at Geel knocking at the door? St Kilda? Hawthorn? Dogs? Certainly none at Collingwood as they had Anthony playing full back on Miller last week who kicked 4.4.

Not suggesting that will 'instantly' want to leave, but he would be frustrated, especially this week. He would also be aware of his currency being out of contract, well his manager would.

You mean blokes like Nathan Brown and Presti at Collingwood who know how to get to Victoria Park, or guys like Max Rooke at Geelong.

How do we argue to get Warnock back in the side when we have improved since he left ? He is a good 'defensive' defender, but his disposal let him down at times. I'm sure Rivers and Warnock were discussed at length when we lost our way a bit. Rivers probably a better footballer but his pace has been a worry, given he is not a true key position player.

I'm inclined to go with the saying "never give a sucker an even break" on this one. Warnock for mine.

Frawley is more than likely to cop Brown so we run the gauntlet with Rivers on Fev. Regardless of his form I think Fev has a bigger chance of making an impact with a less conventional and sizeable defender on him. Rivers is going ok but I prefer the Warnock match up. We don't want to give them any lifelines.

The only thing that I can think of which may aid Rivers (or any defender for that matter on Fev) is if the Lions players play him out of the game, ie subtly ignore him in certain circumstances - there is a little discontent in the Lions camp atm but it is nothing that I am firmly predicting.

Would Have loved to see Warnock back in the side this week. i get the feeling Bails didnt want to cahnge too much of a good thing that was last weeks performance. I think that most people agree we put in out best show in Bailey's carrer, so its natural hel want to keep a similar lineup. Whilst he could still be a late inclusion, i dont think hell play. Personally i would do what Bails has done, speed and intensity off the backline can really hurt brisbane at the moment especially. Rivers is also great at multiple roles, where Warnock is more limited, it would probs be a one on one with browny.

WHAT I LOVE seeing is Joel lineing up against hes old side at brisbane. He had a great game round 5, and had a chat with him recently and he said hes got an ingrained desire to smash the Lions atm cos vossy got rid of him

BRING EM ON

yep, and not sure how hawthorn fans can vouch for the intent of the club come trade week!

yep, and not sure how hawthorn fans can vouch for the intent of the club come trade week!

Not sure that any of them are questioning the intent of our trades?!

More expressing their admiration for a player on our list. Fair enough? The OP was vouching for how Matt Warnock may feel more than anything else.

Edited by Demon Jack 16

I suggested Roughead, Nasher. They didn't like that but I said I would throw in our first pick plus Warnock.

They lean towards a Beau Dowler.

I'd go for a Beau Dowler if Matty isn't happy & the hawks want to talk. I was saying some time back we should look at a trade with the Hawks, but at that time I didn't realise that I had the 2 Beau's surnames mixed up. (Muston with Dowler).

I'd still like to see if we could entice Dowler.

Edited by dee-luded

Whilst he could still be a late inclusion, i dont think hell play. Personally i would do what Bails has done, speed and intensity off the backline can really hurt brisbane at the moment especially.

Definitely an important point, our speed and ball movement is critical to our winning formula.

Having said that, I am not totally convinced that Warnock for Rivers is a significant diversion from that. IMO Warnock has shown he can run the lines when required. We'll still have Bartram, Garland, Bail and Macdonald for run and Rivers is not spades ahead of Warnock in this regard although I agree is a little more versatile. If Fev has a shocker then Rivers will give us great value, if Fev is switched on we will have our work cut out.

I'd prefer Warnock to Rivers on either Fev or Brown.

Agree. I am concerned about Rivers strength and pace off the mark against Fev. Hopefully Frawley can prove that round 5 was no fluke and beat Brown at close to full fitness. Joel Mac might be the key to defence this week ... putting his body on the line defending the space in front of the big forwards.

I was half expecting Jamar to go it alone on Leuenberger and Clark, neither of whom are doing that well.

Rivers will go ok... but I would have thought Warnock would be better one-on-one. Fev has a nasty habit of kicking bags on us.