PJ

Steamin Demon

Was an improved game. Which is not saying much. He got to plenty of contests given a small amount of game time, just flubbed everything he got his hands to. He also got his hands to the ball in ruck contests more than I expected. He just doesn't know where to put it, or what to do once the ruck contest is finished. He just stands there watching the action unfold... and being so big he finds people pick him out with a relieving handball... at which time he's flat footed, and he gets tackled.

I feel like we may end up going into next week with the same 22, which I reckon is a healthy thing to do with a young developing list. Having said that, the Subi factor might come into it, and they may feel like they need the extra legs.

PJ did a good job at the G last year on Sandilands, so they may give him another crack on Sunday . Picking PJ will also help avoid the temptation to play Dunn in the ruck. Dunn did well against Pavlich last year and he's a good physical match for Freo's best player.

When Essendon made their surge in the 3rd quarter, practically every time PJ was involved in play (which was a fair bit) it ended in the opposition gaining possesion. Under pressure he mucks up the simple things which is the fundamental problem. He's too slow in his mechanics and has limited tall player attributes.

Can't take contested marks, rarely taps the ball to advantage in general play, fumbles, lacks conviction and ability to spoil in packs and often doesn't know what to do in general play which is significant at his age.

With space he can offload some handballs, he can kick reasonably well (when not going for impossible stab passes) and on his day (which isn't often) can be "serviceable" in the ruck. I like his enthusiasm but it means little in the end. He simply doesn't deliver as a tall player.

Sounds like your describing Jake Spencer. We need a second ruck and he is ahead of anyone else regardless of what he might be lacking.

Edited by Steamin Demon

Sounds like your describing Jake Spencer.

Believe me, I'm not.

At this point in time, Spencer is gangly, awkward and severely needs to work on his disposal and general ground level play. Always was a project player in the eyes of the club and was called to service early this year IMO.

In the air the potential is definitely there.

Spencer has had good periods in the ruck and can get over packs and crash them and bring the ball to ground. I have no doubt that (if given the opportunity to develop) over time he can become a key marking option for us in kick outs or in the corridore and will be a solid ruck option.

Sometimes you take the club website with a grain of salt but Jake apparently was omitted due to back strains so he wasn't dropped.

We need a second ruck and he is ahead of anyone else regardless of what he might be lacking.

If Jamar was unavailable due to injury for the rest of the season (hope I haven't jinxed us) I'd prefer our destiny lie in the rucking hands of Spencer than PJ.

Edited by 1858

PJ did a good job at the G last year on Sandilands, so they may give him another crack on Sunday . Picking PJ will also help avoid the temptation to play Dunn in the ruck. Dunn did well against Pavlich last year and he's a good physical match for Freo's best player.

Yeah, they might go with that. I would have thought Dunn might have gotten Barlow too... but that's not going to happen.

Don't know about BOG... but he certainly likes those open expanses and enjoyed a nice change in luck. Now that he's done his Miller-like good game for the season, it'll be interesting to see what a bit of confidence will do for him.

All the "Johnson WILL be delisted at the end of the year" (not might be) might be a little concerned.

Great to see him have a real crack today. I doubt very much the club are thinking of delisting him, unlike the majority of Demonlanders. He`ll be around until Spence and Gawn are ready to play senior footy, possibly longer if he can start playing like he did today more often

Really surprised today and used his frame to advantage, need to see him do it every week and not try to play as a linkman

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Don't know about BOG... but he certainly likes those open expanses and enjoyed a nice change in luck. Now that he's done his Miller-like good game for the season, it'll be interesting to see what a bit of confidence will do for him.

All the "Johnson WILL be delisted at the end of the year" (not might be) might be a little concerned.

I enjoyed his game and enjoyed his endeavour but I am not convinced. I've seen him do that one good game that saves his skin too often to have faith in him. I hope I am wrong and he can back it up but I think he is still in the gun.

That was a 3000% improvement on last week.

But to be honest, we have seen him play a handful of OK games in his career, but he has never taken it any further. His challenge, and he has precisely 6 weeks to undertake it, is to prove to the club that he isn't a "once a season" player. I hope he can do it, but I won't be holding my breath.

Great yesterday but needs to put a few together. Let's see how he goes this week against the Mummy and Mike Pyke.

I hear those mugs on Fox Sports yesterday (Lynch & Russell from memory) crapping on about Mumford being second ruck in the AA side. The Big Russian will have a say in that this week.

Off topic but Sandilands was named in the best for the Dockers yesterday yet i can remember PJ kicking a teriffic goal out of the ruck and Jamar having a direct hand in 2 at F50 ruck contests. Reading their stats seperately isn't that impressive but I reckon as a team they definitely nullified the impact of Sandilands particularly in the second half.