2007, 2008 & 2009 Draft

The Chazz

Not really sure of the purpose of this thread, and hopefully it wont turn it to ANOTHER J Watts thread! Mods, feel free to delete it if need be!

While I was watching the Cats/Hawks, Lions/Saints games yesterday, there was a wealth of talent running around in all teams. The experienced stars of the Cats and Saints, some good kids from the Lions, and the standouts at the Hawks. On display yesterday were undoubtedly 3 of the best teams in the competition running around, and let's face it, it was pretty good to watch.

It got me thinking about Melbourne's past couple of years, not necessarily on the park, but in the draft period. I was asking myself questions like "Have we picked the best available player", with the thought of fast-forwarding 2-10 years and sitting back watching them play, wondering if they will be that era's Ablett, Selwood, Bartell, Franklin, Hodge, Reiwoldt, etc, etc, etc!

So, I decided to start this thread, with everyone welcome to put on our Recruiting Manager's cap, and knowing what we know now, who would you want us to pick? It is a fairly easy task as we have exposed form on a lot of these players, and it will be interesting to see which selections we nailed, and which ones we didn't!

Nb - I have only included 1st round selections as most of the gun players that were running around yesterday were first round picks (with the odd exception);

Matthew Kreuzer*

Trent Cotchin*

Chris Masten*

Cale Morton

Jarrad Grant

David Myers

Rhys Palmer

Lachlan Henderson

Ben McEvoy

Patrick Dangerfield

Patrick Veszpremi

Cyril Rioli

Brad Ebert

Jack Grimes

Robbie Tarrant

Matthew Lobbe

Harry Taylor

* These players were taken before Melbourne had their first pick, therefore, we can't select these players as they weren't available.

Jack Watts

Nic Naitanui

Stephen Hill

Hamish Hartlett

Michael Hurley

Chris Yarran

Daniel Rich

Tyrone Vickery

Jack Ziebell

Phil Davis

Steele Sidebottom

Lewis Johnston

Tom Lynch

Ayce Cordy

Mitchell Brown

Ryan Schoenmakers

Tom Scully

Jack Trengove

Dustin Martin

Anthony Morabito

Ben Cunnington

Gary Rohan

Brad Sheppard

John Butcher

Andrew Moore

Jake Melksham

Jordan Gysberts

Kane Lucas

Daniel Talia

Lewis Jetta

Christian Howard

Jasper Pittard

Daniel Menzel

Looking at the last 3 years, I think our recruiting team have nailed it. In 2007, maybe I would have preferred Rioli or Dangerfield over Morton, or even take Grimes at 4, Harry Taylor at 14.

Ok, 2008, well, I personally think we selected correctly. Of all the players that went in the first round of 2008, I still think we have the one with the most potential. Rich had a top year last year, but he reminds me a lot of Brock McLean where his best isn't much better than what we are seeing now (although still very handy). If BP had his time again, I still think J Watts would be the first called out. Maybe Hurley is more advanced, the $million question is "who will end up being the better player from that group". Time will tell.

Brings us to the most recent draft. At this stage, we couldn't have chosen better. Martin is a star, but I think Tom and Jack will be better players for the MFC. At this stage, I'm glad we didn't pick Butcher (while I fully appreciate he will take a few years to show his worth), and I'm really happy we didn't pick Morabito (not in the same class as our 1 & 2). That leads me to Gysberts at 11, well, the only option here would have been Lewis Jetta. Based on exposed form, am I happy with the Gysberts choice? If BP had his time again, I think he would snap Gysberts up quick smart.

It's always easy to question how we let such and such player slip, or we should have chosen this player instead of that player, but when you sit down and work out if that player was available when we had a pick, a majority of the time they weren't, or we picked a better player earlier in the draft. There will always be "that" player that gets picked up late and becomes top quality, but as I said earlier, a majority o the star players running around for the good clubs are picked up in the first round.

Nb. The above list doesn't include Preseason Drafts or Rookie Drafts during those years. In 2008, we picked up Jurrah (instead of Josh Carr, Hayden Skipworth, Chris Johnson-ex Melb, Tom Rockliff, Ben Cousins - these were the only players selected in this draft). Again, I think we have selected well. In that same year, we got Jordie McKenzie at Number 1 in the Rookie draft. Only players of significance (?) from that year would be Jeff Garlett (Carl), Robin Nahas (Rich), Zac Dawson (St K). Good call BP! In 2009 we selected Joel Macdonald at 1 in the PSD, most other players selected in the PSD were wanting to go to other clubs (Bradshaw, McPhee).

In closing, I think our recruiting has been spot on over the past 3 years (possibly 2006 as well - didn't go back that far!). As far as potential future stars are concerned, I feel we have picked the best available, and filled needs along the way with these players. Of the players we drafted, we have to ask ourselves would we prefer a player that we picked in that year to be running around for a different club. I think the honest answer would be No!

As I said at the top, I'm not really sure why I created this post, and am happy for it to be deleted if it is seen as silly! I was just interested to see where our players are at in regards to personal development compared to who else was available in the same year. We're doing alright!

I agree with you mostly.

Morton was the logical pick at the time. At the time of the draft Morton was rated top 3 by most clubs, so when he slipped to 4 it was the logical pick. Rioli and Dangerfield would have been the other choices, however I still maintain that Morton will be a gun once he develops a big body. Has played some awesome games in his short career and is still only 20. Looking at that, Watts could still be an inspired pick. In 3 years time I still have faith he could be the best from that draft.

To me, the real test of whether we will take that extra step isn't whether we nailed the top picks, which I think we have, its whether we nail the late first round draft picks.

- Maric at pick 21

- Strauss at pick pick 19

- Blease at pick 17

So far neither of these 3 have done anything for a variety of reasons, including form and injury. If all these 3 become duds, it will hurt us.

If these 3 become great players, it will push us to an extra level.

I'm still ruing not picking up Tayte Pears who was a couple of picks after ours

Guest The Boss

I'd take Rioli over Morton in a heartbeat.

With the 2009 draft, it is too hard to seperate Scully, Trengove and Martin. All will be fantastic players, although glad we passed on Martin because I think his new tattoo looks stupid. I know its a superficial reason, but I can't stand tattoos. As for Gysberts vs Jetta, at the start of the season I though Jetta would have been the better choice, but Jizzbits had a good debut. It's too early to call if we made the right choice, might have to review that in 2-3 seasons time.

Would not change a thing.

Watts and Morton will be solid fixtures next season.

Me too. BP has nailed it when you look at those lists.

Morton will be a really good player for many years.

I'd take Rioli over Morton in a heartbeat.

With the 2009 draft, it is too hard to seperate Scully, Trengove and Martin. All will be fantastic players, although glad we passed on Martin because I think his new tattoo looks stupid. I know its a superficial reason, but I can't stand tattoos.

Tony Danza has a tatoo you idiot!! lol

My big question hangs over Maric. IO believe we were crying out for talls and we went for Maric when Roughhead was still available. Its been our obsession with smalls at expence of talls that has driven me crazy. I have been pacified with Gawn and Fitzpatrick but then I thingk even the club were amazed they got them.

I agree with all our choices. The only player I would consider over what we have would be Stephen Hill in 2008. We choose the right pick as both are very different players, but if Watts wasn't in the mix it would be Hill for me. I think Hill will be a star for the dockers. Plus he's from my local club here in Quinns :)

Guest Thomo

Way too early for this. Ball was seen as being better than Hodge for a few years. Wait until the players are a least in their early twenties.

2007 - Rioli over Morton at this stage but just don't know what will happen ... Rioli might burn brighter for a shorter time while Morton could be a good player over 12+ years. Grimes was the bargain of the year.

2008 - Hurley may turn out to be the best allround player from that year but Watts is what we needed at the time and will be for many years to come.

2009 - Trengove has already vindicated his selection at 2... while Scully has shown glimpses of his best and should prove in coming years to be the right choice. Gysberts looks at least the equal of any taken after him.

Some you win some you lose, such is the nature of drafting.

Given what we know now you would have to be on bad drugs to take Morton over Rioli.

Not really sure of the purpose of this thread, and hopefully it wont turn it to ANOTHER J Watts thread! Mods, feel free to delete it if need be!

While I was watching the Cats/Hawks, Lions/Saints games yesterday, there was a wealth of talent running around in all teams. The experienced stars of the Cats and Saints, some good kids from the Lions, and the standouts at the Hawks. On display yesterday were undoubtedly 3 of the best teams in the competition running around, and let's face it, it was pretty good to watch.

It got me thinking about Melbourne's past couple of years, not necessarily on the park, but in the draft period. I was asking myself questions like "Have we picked the best available player", with the thought of fast-forwarding 2-10 years and sitting back watching them play, wondering if they will be that era's Ablett, Selwood, Bartell, Franklin, Hodge, Reiwoldt, etc, etc, etc!

So, I decided to start this thread, with everyone welcome to put on our Recruiting Manager's cap, and knowing what we know now, who would you want us to pick? It is a fairly easy task as we have exposed form on a lot of these players, and it will be interesting to see which selections we nailed, and which ones we didn't!

Nb - I have only included 1st round selections as most of the gun players that were running around yesterday were first round picks (with the odd exception);

Matthew Kreuzer*

Trent Cotchin*

Chris Masten*

Cale Morton

Jarrad Grant

David Myers

Rhys Palmer

Lachlan Henderson, was my preference. He will develop nicely next year.

Ben McEvoy

Patrick Dangerfield would have been nice, & I was Interested in him, but I wanted A tall forward.

Patrick Veszpremi

Cyril Rioli we can dream!!!!

Brad Ebert

Jack Grimes

Robbie Tarrant

Matthew Lobbe

Harry Taylor

* These players were taken before Melbourne had their first pick, therefore, we can't select these players as they weren't available.

Jack Watts I think we took what we needed, he'll be fine.

Nic Naitanui

Stephen Hill

Hamish Hartlett

Michael Hurley

Chris Yarran

Daniel Rich

Tyrone Vickery

Jack Ziebell

Phil Davis

Steele Sidebottom

Lewis Johnston

Tom Lynch

Ayce Cordy

Mitchell Brown

Ryan Schoenmakers

Tom Scully Good.

Jack Trengove Good.

Dustin Martin

Anthony Morabito

Ben Cunnington

Gary Rohan

Brad Sheppard

John Butcher

Andrew Moore

Jake Melksham

Jordan Gysberts happy with Jordan as our pick here, because I wanted Talia, But,, I had underestimated, at the time, the quality of our existing Mids.

Kane Lucas

Daniel Talia

Lewis Jetta

Christian Howard

Jasper Pittard

Daniel Menzel

Looking at the last 3 years, I think our recruiting team have nailed it. In 2007, maybe I would have preferred Rioli or Dangerfield over Morton, or even take Grimes at 4, Harry Taylor at 14.

Ok, 2008, well, I personally think we selected correctly. Of all the players that went in the first round of 2008, I still think we have the one with the most potential. Rich had a top year last year, but he reminds me a lot of Brock McLean where his best isn't much better than what we are seeing now (although still very handy). If BP had his time again, I still think J Watts would be the first called out. Maybe Hurley is more advanced, the $million question is "who will end up being the better player from that group". Time will tell.

Brings us to the most recent draft. At this stage, we couldn't have chosen better. Martin is a star, but I think Tom and Jack will be better players for the MFC. At this stage, I'm glad we didn't pick Butcher (while I fully appreciate he will take a few years to show his worth), and I'm really happy we didn't pick Morabito (not in the same class as our 1 & 2). That leads me to Gysberts at 11, well, the only option here would have been Lewis Jetta. Based on exposed form, am I happy with the Gysberts choice? If BP had his time again, I think he would snap Gysberts up quick smart.

It's always easy to question how we let such and such player slip, or we should have chosen this player instead of that player, but when you sit down and work out if that player was available when we had a pick, a majority of the time they weren't, or we picked a better player earlier in the draft. There will always be "that" player that gets picked up late and becomes top quality, but as I said earlier, a majority o the star players running around for the good clubs are picked up in the first round.

Nb. The above list doesn't include Preseason Drafts or Rookie Drafts during those years. In 2008, we picked up Jurrah (instead of Josh Carr, Hayden Skipworth, Chris Johnson-ex Melb, Tom Rockliff, Ben Cousins - these were the only players selected in this draft). Again, I think we have selected well. In that same year, we got Jordie McKenzie at Number 1 in the Rookie draft. Only players of significance (?) from that year would be Jeff Garlett (Carl), Robin Nahas (Rich), Zac Dawson (St K). Good call BP! In 2009 we selected Joel Macdonald at 1 in the PSD, most other players selected in the PSD were wanting to go to other clubs (Bradshaw, McPhee).

In closing, I think our recruiting has been spot on over the past 3 years (possibly 2006 as well - didn't go back that far!). As far as potential future stars are concerned, I feel we have picked the best available, and filled needs along the way with these players. Of the players we drafted, we have to ask ourselves would we prefer a player that we picked in that year to be running around for a different club. I think the honest answer would be No!

As I said at the top, I'm not really sure why I created this post, and am happy for it to be deleted if it is seen as silly! I was just interested to see where our players are at in regards to personal development compared to who else was available in the same year. We're doing alright!