Werribee Tigers v Casey Scorpions

KC from Casey

Bohdan Babiczuk hasn't been our head of fitness for years.

Yeah. I was just assuming he meant Bohdan Joel Hocking.

Glad that there was some AFL grade players who played today applying some genuine pressure on the guys in the side. Selection this week was too hard for me for all the wrong reasons - too many crap performers to choose from for omission and not enough quality in the VFL to replace them with. No such issue this week.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Athleticism yes, Ability Hmmm! He is still very raw..

Ability wise there have been a number of players better.

Thats probably fair enough.

Didnt go into details, but as we know his kicking has been questioned, (so has scullys - they're both actually not that bad) but most kids have question marks.

I was thinking ability to be the best / one of the best players in the league, whatever the 'athletic - skills' mix is.. (and we know the skill levels cant get too low anyway)

I probably could of said, 'how many kids do you see with the qualities of Dean Cox and Sammy Mitchell rolled into one'?

Ive never seen a kid, pre afl football, whos game grabbed me and said, 'hey your looking at the best that could ever be' - until i saw Nick Naitanui.

His athleticism, marking, reading of the play, clearance work, ruck work etc.. should far outweigh what may / may not be a suspect kick for eg.. as it does now.

Thats probably fair enough.

Didnt go into details, but as we know his kicking has been questioned, (so has scullys - they're both actually not that bad) but most kids have question marks.

I was thinking ability to be the best / one of the best players in the league, whatever the 'athletic - skills' mix is.. (and we know the skill levels cant get too low anyway)

I probably could of said, 'how many kids do you see with the qualities of Dean Cox and Sammy Mitchell rolled into one'?

Ive never seen a kid, pre afl football, whos game grabbed me and said, 'hey your looking at the best that could ever be' - until i saw Nick Naitanui.

His athleticism, marking, reading of the play, clearance work, ruck work etc.. should far outweigh what may / may not be a suspect kick for eg.. as it does now.

Right now his reading of the play and footy nous is terrible, he's a 'see ball, get ball' type. Watch him play, when the ball isn't right near him he looks completely lost. Everything else you said was spot on though.

Edit: Sorry Nash, Blease is awesome.

Edited by Jarka

Right now his reading of the play and footy nous is terrible, he's a 'see ball, get ball' type. Watch him play, when the ball isn't right near him he looks completely lost. Everything else you said was spot on though.

Edit: Sorry Nash, Blease is awesome.

Actually watching him right now..

and as you say he's a 'see ball / get ball' type - which is my point..he gets / gets to the ball, which usually you need to be able to read the play to do..

tho, i was actually referring to they way he reads the play in rucking / clearance situations.. he often finds a space and taps it out for himself to rove!

Thats awesome.. and ive seen him rove and clear his opponents ruckwork.. again, awes..

He did it at the start of the 3rd tonite in front of goal and nearly got it, but was swarmed by the filth..

but as i was thinking earlier, every kid has one or two things to work on.. he can look lost at times, but maybe that was more a feature of last years nik-nat?

Just chatting while we wait for Bleasme / tappy updates Nash.. Donnay get stroppy, grab a beer and join in the convo.. demon_laugh.gif

Did you just say I was "totally incorrect" in saying that Bohdan is not our head of fitness then publish a list making it quite clear that Joel Hocking is our head of fitness accompanied by a description of when Joel took over that role??

Did you have a stroke??

No stroke just correcting you-Bohden was head of fitness up to 2009 pre season- he still plays a very pivotal part in our fitness team.

Edited by jayceebee31

disagree. Petterd and Jurrah are better forwards than Bate

But all three in the same forward line make each other better and that is all that matters. Throw in Sylvia, a bigger stronger Watts and a fit Aussie and they will all get better.

So Redleg, you're a senior barrister with lots of experience in the law.

If PJ had a one game suspension, then surely at about 5.15pm when the Casey game finished this afternoon, he had served his supension?

Could he not then have played with the reserves or even with the MFC tomorrow?

Good question WJ. I believe there ia a rule that stops a player from moving within the leagues during a supension, so he couldn't play at all in any affiliated AFL league in the weekend of the suspension incurred in the VFL that was applicable to the next Casey/VFL game.

The rule has a downside as you could miss two AFL games if Casey had a bye in the week after the supension was incurred. That is an anomaly that I think still exists in the rules.

I Stayed till about the 20min mark of third with Stef and Tapscott still playing.

Blease played only the first half and was sensational, every kick he had was pin point and it was just great seeing him out there playing footy.

Tapscott had a lot of the ball and showed great aggression at the contests. He started the game up forward but he moved into the midield in the second half where he got first hands at just about every stoppage, he also took two very heavy hits to the head one in the second qtr and one in the third, but he seemed to be okay and was running the game out well considering it was his first hit out of the year.

Stef played at full forward and dominated his opponent in Kyle Hartigan but wasn't able to finish off his good work with terrible kicking for goal, I think he missed about 5 set shots badly that I saw and his only goal came from quick kick after he dropped a mark. He looked like he was limping in the third qtr and he had a good discussion with the physio but he was still on the gound when I left.

Edited by Melon22

Reserves

Casey Scorpions 3.5.23 6.9.45 7.11.53 13.14.92

Werribee Tigers 4.2.26 7.5.47 15.9.99 21.11.137

Goals

Casey Scorpions Hillberge 4 Blease 2 David Bell Jones Martin Patti Petropoulos Purdy Smith

Werribee Tigers Henderson Perkins 5 Denton 3 Laidlaw 2 Baddeley Bongetti Garland McKerracher Meredith Moloney

Best

Casey Scorpions Patti Smith Costigan Weekes Cleven Tapscott

Werribee Tigers Moloney Harrison Denton Henderson Hartigan Baddeley

Well by all means get excited but just remember that it was me that was spot on about Bell, Bate, Miller and arguably morton. At some stage, most people here were crowning these players as superstars. The same people also sugested that Sylvia should be traded away because he had a slow start. Let me decide who to get excited about and who not to. Admittedly, Blease and Tapscott barring injury should have a solid impact at afl level.

You've lost it again.

You were about the 30th person to say that. Likewise about Miller. Bate and Morton are going to be good players.

And the vast majority of people wanted to keep Sylvia. This is demonland after all. We don't sook here like 'ology.

You're about as original as Andy Maher, as usual.

Tapscott had a lot of the ball and showed great aggression at the contests. He started the game up forward but he moved into the midield in the second half where he got first hands at just about every stoppage, he also took two very heavy hits to the head one in the second qtr and one in the third, but he seemed to be okay and was running the game out well considering it was his first hit out of the year.

great to hear that bout Tapps, considering his hip surgery. Great stuff.

Go Juice.....I still have faith.

It sounds like he was the senior forward target for the first time in his career instead of playing second fiddle to Neitz, Miller, Sautner, Dunn et.at.

He may not be the 'all concurring' tall forward we are looking for but let's face it neither is Watts, Jurrah, Sylvia/Petterd, Miller/Martin, Dunn or Wona/Jetta/Bennell; but together they could make up one hell of a 'hard to stop' forward structure.

I hope we see it later this season!

Go Scorps and Dees

G'day 'Toad33', its nice to hear your feel the same re Juice. He may still have something to show for himself.

Do you reckon we should keep him on the rookie list?

I missed the first quarter but saw the rest and came home feeling pretty happy. Firstly I was furious that Sylvia has been made to come back through casey and IMO he showed that my feelings were more than justified. That his return was pushed back a week because casey had a bye, makes it even stupider. I will never agree with bailey's cautious approach in these matters.

Bail - outstanding game. strong marking, reliable, excellent disposal. what a great improver he has been this year.

Newton - was close to BOG with Bail. Spent a lot of time in the ruck, and could be a handy backup for jamar. was in everything when on. has to be ahead of miller to come back into the team.

Maric - meh, geot plenty of it but disposal was very hit and miss.

Wonna - copped an injury.

Jurrah - was great. kicked 3, gave 2 off in the goalsquare, yet you can see he still has so much more improvement in him. His hands weren't quite as we know them, but that will come. His second efforts were great. I want to see him back in the red and blue and IMO he is ready.

Sylvia - the usual...goals, strong marks, smart play. should be straight back in.

Warnock - meh. hate the ball in his hands in defence even at this level. defended well.

Miller - a few strong marks and goals. was good but overshadowed by others

Morton - played mostly in defence. I don't think he is a defender but he was quite comfortable down there today.

Strauss - don't think he came back on after half time. didn't stand out prior to the ?leg injury and still needs to get more of the ball rebounding from the back 50.

Bell - didn't notice him much, but he does seem to do a lot of work in the packs which is hard to spot. Good at this level but his poor awareness was highlighted a couple of times in succession (in part due to poor handballs from teammates) where he turned straight into tackles. He got away with it both times, but I think the tackles would stick at afl level. i'd love him to make it, but...mmm.

Fitzpatrick - was thereabouts early but faded in the second half.

On a side note, Wall and McCreadie were fantastic.

I watched the first half of the seconds.

Martin - as has already been said, lots of marks in forward 50 and lots of set shot misses.

Tapscott - liked his first half. got heaps of the ball, tough in the contests (i think he was on the bottom of the first two packs of the game) but disposal was up and down. was lively in forward 50.

Blease - left me with a happy feeling inside. wow! casey seconds...but his kicking was perfect (even under intense pressure), speedy, backed himself, and i think his skills will translate well to afl level. Can't wait to see him at senior level. As mentioned, he was puffing away on the bench, and wasn't doing a lot of running off the ball, but that is to be expected given his preparation. Get excited, seriously!

I would like to see Bail, Sylvia, Jurrah, Newton and Morton in next week. However, knowing the way bailey approaches players returning from injury, i would expect Bail, Jurrah and Newton to have another weekend dominating at casey.

Good question WJ. I believe there ia a rule that stops a player from moving within the leagues during a supension, so he couldn't play at all in any affiliated AFL league in the weekend of the suspension incurred in the VFL that was applicable to the next Casey/VFL game.

The rule has a downside as you could miss two AFL games if Casey had a bye in the week after the supension was incurred. That is an anomaly that I think still exists in the rules.

I think a player gets suspended for x amount of rounds of football, so even if Casey had a bye that round would still count.

Well by all means get excited but just remember that it was me that was spot on about Bell, Bate, Miller and arguably morton. At some stage, most people here were crowning these players as superstars. The same people also sugested that Sylvia should be traded away because he had a slow start. Let me decide who to get excited about and who not to. Admittedly, Blease and Tapscott barring injury should have a solid impact at afl level.

well those keen on trading Sylvia` have proved dead right!

Whilst David Parkin still rates` him a star [if he does] let's get something for him at year's end

James Wall kicks a goal and the lead goes to 41 points and that's it.

A good comeback after the debacle at Williamstown.

Casey Scorpions 1.4.10 8.8.56 13.12.90 17.15.117

Werribee Tigers 4.5.29 4.10.34 8.13.61 10.16.76

Goals

Casey Scorpions Jurrah Sylvia 3 MacReadie Newton 2 Bail Fieldsend McDonald Miller Nicholls Wall Wonaemirri

Werribee Tigers Chisholm 3 Castello 2 O'Keefe Obst Priest Prismall Sharp

Best

Casey Scorpions Bail Wall Sylvia Newton Morton MacReadie

Werribee Tigers Dickson Obst Castello Tarrant Sharp Rockefeller

Hey, anyone watching Casey. Did Maric play, or do we have a late change for this arvo?

I missed the first quarter but saw the rest and came home feeling pretty happy. Firstly I was furious that Sylvia has been made to come back through casey and IMO he showed that my feelings were more than justified. That his return was pushed back a week because casey had a bye, makes it even stupider. I will never agree with bailey's cautious approach in these matters.

Bail - outstanding game. strong marking, reliable, excellent disposal. what a great improver he has been this year.

Newton - was close to BOG with Bail. Spent a lot of time in the ruck, and could be a handy backup for jamar. was in everything when on. has to be ahead of miller to come back into the team.

Maric - meh, geot plenty of it but disposal was very hit and miss.

Wonna - copped an injury.

Jurrah - was great. kicked 3, gave 2 off in the goalsquare, yet you can see he still has so much more improvement in him. His hands weren't quite as we know them, but that will come. His second efforts were great. I want to see him back in the red and blue and IMO he is ready.

Sylvia - the usual...goals, strong marks, smart play. should be straight back in.

Warnock - meh. hate the ball in his hands in defence even at this level. defended well.

Miller - a few strong marks and goals. was good but overshadowed by others

Morton - played mostly in defence. I don't think he is a defender but he was quite comfortable down there today.

Strauss - don't think he came back on after half time. didn't stand out prior to the ?leg injury and still needs to get more of the ball rebounding from the back 50.

Bell - didn't notice him much, but he does seem to do a lot of work in the packs which is hard to spot. Good at this level but his poor awareness was highlighted a couple of times in succession (in part due to poor handballs from teammates) where he turned straight into tackles. He got away with it both times, but I think the tackles would stick at afl level. i'd love him to make it, but...mmm.

Fitzpatrick - was thereabouts early but faded in the second half.

On a side note, Wall and McCreadie were fantastic.

I watched the first half of the seconds.

Martin - as has already been said, lots of marks in forward 50 and lots of set shot misses.

Tapscott - liked his first half. got heaps of the ball, tough in the contests (i think he was on the bottom of the first two packs of the game) but disposal was up and down. was lively in forward 50.

Blease - left me with a happy feeling inside. wow! casey seconds...but his kicking was perfect (even under intense pressure), speedy, backed himself, and i think his skills will translate well to afl level. Can't wait to see him at senior level. As mentioned, he was puffing away on the bench, and wasn't doing a lot of running off the ball, but that is to be expected given his preparation. Get excited, seriously!

I would like to see Bail, Sylvia, Jurrah, Newton and Morton in next week. However, knowing the way bailey approaches players returning from injury, i would expect Bail, Jurrah and Newton to have another weekend dominating at casey.

Thanks for the wrap-up. Two points though.

1 - It is not Bailey who makes the decisions on players coming back from injuries. It is the club doctor/s and physio/s. If you believe you know better than them, well, good luck to you.

2 - Newton is not eligible to be selected for MFC.

1 - It is not Bailey who makes the decisions on players coming back from injuries. It is the club doctor/s and physio/s. If you believe you know better than them, well, good luck to you.

thank goodness for that.....

Well why is he part of our senior playing list shown on the MFC website,if indeed he cannot play..

Extract showing the above...

22Moloney, Brent1828628.01.84Rd 14 - 2003Geelong U18/Geelong1310312410Morton, Cale1928318.01.90Rd 1 - 2008Claremont54522329Newton, Michael1939127.04.87Rd 3 - 2007Murray U1822313015Petterd, Ricky1858424.07.88Rd 5 - 2007Broadbeach (QLD)635123727Rivers, Jared1929018.10.84Rd 19 - 2003North Adelaide (SA)9990431Scully, Tom1827715.05.912010 - Rd 1Dandenong Stingrays12123.

Hi guys, I was at the game yesterday. I just thought I'd mention that Wonna's injury came about cos he ran 15m at full tilt to lay a massive shepherd for LJ who was streaking down the wing. Fantastic courage from Wonna but he picked a bloke who

was about twice his size, and came off second best from the bump. He was in hands of trainers for a bit, and then left the field. It didn't look that bad, ie he wasn't cradling his arm like they do when they've done an AC joint. Hopefully he'll be back next week.

For what it's worth, Jurrah was excellent yesterday especially in the 2nd Q, and made Marty Pask look like a second rate player. Silvia was a class above, and the other bloke I was really impressed with was Wall, who is a great reader of the play, a good size (197cm) and from the Scorps games I've seen this year, is definitely capable of cutting it at AFL level. I would love it if we rookied him next year.