• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Bye Bye Junction Oval

Arthur Dent

HaHaha, nice Idea, maybe we can symbolically.

PS: It's not the grounds fault we've been struggling, we just haven't been up with it, hopefully til Now. The ground was an symptom of the problem.

Still, It Is a major part of Us, and hopefully won't be such a painfull reminder in 50 years time. That is why I've made this suggestion to have a day of wake & celebration, perhaps in the Irish tradition.

No i'm serious. The only reason we had to go to the junction was because we got Booted off the MCG after ridiculously parting ways with the MCC.

The Facilities at junction oval are barely VFL standard. I want the Place demolished. As the oldest sporting club in the world i do not expect to ever see the MFC anywhere near the Junction oval again.

Neale Danniher would love to have his time over again away from the junction i bet !!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very exciting in deed

I still struggle with the fact that the oldest football club in the world(sic) doesnt have a home ground.

It should own half of melbourne real estate by now. I look with some envy at the $$$$ being lavished on Bulldogs, North, Richmond Western Sydney!

Anyway im sure we will benifit greatly having modern facilities.

Go dees

We do have a home ground. It's called the MCG.

No i'm serious. The only reason we had to go to the junction was because we got Booted off the MCG after ridiculously parting ways with the MCC.

The Facilities at junction oval are barely VFL standard. I want the Place demolished. As the oldest sporting club in the world i do not expect to ever see the MFC anywhere near the Junction oval again.

Neale Danniher would love to have his time over again away from the junction i bet !!

You can't undo history WYL, and our time thats spans the Junction oval period of our history has had both memorable & painfull times. Just as our Grand Final history would reflect also, Wins, & losses. Like it or Not, Its a big part of this clubs Living History, & therefore should be respected for the parts it played.

Life is not all Honey & Roses, buts all its parts are equally important. They make up the storyline of whats been.

You can't undo history WYL, and our time thats spans the Junction oval period of our history has had both memorable & painfull times. Just as our Grand Final history would reflect also, Wins, & losses. Like it or Not, Its a big part of this clubs Living History, & therefore should be respected for the parts it played.

Life is not all Honey & Roses, buts all its parts are equally important. They make up the storyline of whats been.

Yes Yes i know all those answers, but The Ox would not have done his knee before the '95 season if we had not been punted around Grounds during the cricket season.

I am allowed to loath the junction oval for that reason alone!!

People are correct when they say we should have never been sent/moved there, but it happened, it happened before I was born so I grew up knowing nothing but the Junction.

Of course it didnt take long for me to understand that the MCG was/is and forever will be HOME and that we deserved much much better. It's taken my entire life, I am 35 so not too old but old enough where this should have been rectified along time ago.

In saying that, I will have great, great memories of the Junction....Dee-Luded said it nicely for me.

Yes Yes i know all those answers, but The Ox would not have done his knee before the '95 season if we had not been punted around Grounds during the cricket season.

Maybe that's why the # 5 formally known as Chook (I now must refer to him as that bloke that plays at Northern Bullants!!) liked to do burnouts at those other grounds...showing his disdain for being punted around ;)

Maybe that's why the # 5 formally known as Chook (I now must refer to him as that bloke that plays at Northern Bullants!!) liked to do burnouts at those other grounds...showing his disdain for being punted around ;)

Possibly but i think the answer is closer to the fact that Brock is a little Dim upstairs, i mean he chose to play for carlton....

The Ox did his knees 3 times because he had those knees. We haven't had exorbitant knee injuries at the club.

The only reason I'm responding is because you seem to be poo pooing the sending off of the past & moving symbolically on to the future. I happen to think its important for our future to show respect for our existance, all of it.

And as I recall it we moved off the 'G' because they roped off the center area & we couldn't train on it properly. Rendering our training nearly useless & we weren't given decent facilities @ the 'G' for our Gym etc, as well as social facilities.

The Ox did his knees 3 times because he had those knees. We haven't had exorbitant knee injuries at the club.

The only reason I'm responding is because you seem to be poo pooing the sending off of the past & moving symbolically on to the future. I happen to think its important for our future to show respect for our existance, all of it.

And as I recall it we moved off the 'G' because they roped off the center area & we couldn't train on it properly. Rendering our training nearly useless & we weren't given decent facilities @ the 'G' for our Gym etc, as well as social facilities.

The Ox did his knee the first time because we were training on some disgraceful sub standard oval during the cricket season of that year.

His subsequent knee problems happened because he came back to early once and the 3rd time it was because the old knees just weren't strong enough.

Feel free to celebrate the Junction oval years if you wish, but i personally would like to see the place obliterated.

It represents all the negative sides of the MFC- how we have slipped in the pecking order from what we once were.

The Ox did his knee the first time because we were training on some disgraceful sub standard oval during the cricket season of that year.

His subsequent knee problems happened because he came back to early once and the 3rd time it was because the old knees just weren't strong enough.

Feel free to celebrate the Junction oval years if you wish, but i personally would like to see the place obliterated.

It represents all the negative sides of the MFC- how we have slipped in the pecking order from what we once were.

It's not about you WYL, & it's not about me. It's about the Mfc, it's struggles & it's history, & It's about It's people. Thats all it is.

It's not about you WYL, & it's not about me. It's about the Mfc, it's struggles & it's history, & It's about It's people. Thats all it is.

Yes you are right, i am not arguing that at all.

Yes the Junction oval Represented Struggle and Shocking board management back in the 80's when most of the Victorian clubs left us for dead in terms of administration decisions.

I am not having a go at you mate, but i always felt shame when i look at Hawthorn now Compared to the MFC at the Junction.

The Hawks fired up in the late 50's because John Kennedy was inspired by Melbourne & Norm Smith.

Thank God Jimmy & Co decided to begin the Revolution now at least.

The Ox did his knee the first time because we were training on some disgraceful sub standard oval during the cricket season of that year. ....................

If I remember correctly, it was at Lavington Oval in Albury.

MFC was offered to take up the facilities at the glasshouse (lexus centre) in the mid 90's, but the board at the time refused. if i remember correctly it was because of financial reasons.

Edited by OPETH

Does anyone know the dimensions of the training ground at Gosh's? Walked past on QB Monday and it looked (from a distance) a bit small.

The training and medical facilities sound awesome - the players should surely be elated and hopefully this will rub off in performances.

Edited by monoccular

Do people have anything against us having the second training base/home down at Casey?? I live out that way and as a Casey resident and Demon fanatic it is obviously great for me and I love that we are there.

If you saw the condition of the Casey Fields playing surface last weekend you may have a different opinion

The ground needs major drainage work done

At the moment it is nothing more than a sub standard mud heap

MFC was offered to take up the facilities at the glasshouse (lexus centre) in the mid 90's, but the board at the time refused. if i remember correctly it was because of financial reasons.

Yep that would be right, probably the last straw before Tiger Ridley started the Merger push, We had no assets at all and small corporate and member support.

it would have been Brilliant to be at the Lexus site Back then. Anyway enough of the merger years. At least we are far more secure now, with still a long way to go.

Guest DeesPower

Does anyone know the dimensions of the training ground at Gosh's? Walked past on QB Monday and it looked (from a distance) a bit small.

The training and medical facilities sound awesome - the players should surely be elated and hopefully this will rub off in performances.

I understand Gosh's is the same shape as the MCG but slightly smaller, but I am not certain

If I remember correctly, it was at Lavington Oval in Albury.

That was actually the second occasion. The first time he did it training on a sub-standard suburban oval/paddock where his foot got stuck in a rabbit hole! I remember the second time because he'd done the whole rehab thing and I was at Lavy when he did it (last time I was there there was still a dent in the interchange shelter where he'd punched it). Nothing to do with the ground because Lavy was a bowling green. The third time he came back early and made it through one match only to have his knee buckle under him against the Swans when he was starting to look dangerous. Fortunately it was then third time lucky when they tightened up his 'loose' joint.

That was actually the second occasion. The first time he did it training on a sub-standard suburban oval/paddock where his foot got stuck in a rabbit hole! I remember the second time because he'd done the whole rehab thing and I was at Lavy when he did it (last time I was there there was still a dent in the interchange shelter where he'd punched it). Nothing to do with the ground because Lavy was a bowling green. The third time he came back early and made it through one match only to have his knee buckle under him against the Swans when he was starting to look dangerous. Fortunately it was then third time lucky when they tightened up his 'loose' joint.

Thanks graz ... my grey matter is obviously deteriorating faster than I would like. Suffice to say that the injury to Ox snuffed out a brilliant career just as it was getting started. He was destined to be regarded in the same light as Carey and other great CHFs IMO.

Described in great detail, grazman, but I think you might have the incidents mixed up. You are right about the first time, but he then tried to come back to quickly in 1995 and did against the Swans at the G. Then in a pre-season reserves match at Lavington in '96, after doing the proper rehab and pre-season work, he did it for the third time, hence the dent !

Edited by DemonWorshipper

I understand Gosh's is the same shape as the MCG but slightly smaller, but I am not certain

The G is 171m x 146m fence to fence. From just using Google Earth's measurement tool, Gosch's Paddock is about 178m x 102m. But - I was under the impression we had the new ground next to it? If so, that one measures at about 170m x 120m

The G is 171m x 146m fence to fence. From just using Google Earth's measurement tool, Gosch's Paddock is about 178m x 102m. But - I was under the impression we had the new ground next to it? If so, that one measures at about 170m x 120m

I wouldn't imagine the Google Earth images are current and that area has been re-lanscaped recently.

My understanding was that we'd have a training oval the same dimensions as the G.

Yeah great news.....if you can get a look at Cam Schwabs twitter page you will see many pics he has taken of the new facility.

Yeah ok but Cam Schwab had nothing to do with getting the Ds to the new facility or the Casey setup. Both were the work of the previous board who seem to get no recognition of these brilliant pieces of work.