2009 player departures

Deano74

End of 2009 we saw the departures of Robbo, Wheatly, Whelan, Brock and Buckley.

As we enter the Halfway stage of the year, the retirement or trading of those players all seem like good moves.

Robbo and Whelan were great for us, but past their best and right now I doubt if they were all still going around at this week and available for selection would they be playing? I doubt it. So good choices all round.

Its amazing how time fly's

I still think I would have liked to have seen Wheatley go one more/two more years. But at what cost? My faith is solidly in the powers that be and therefore I have accepted their decision graciously.

Damn its a hard best 22 to make at the moment which pleases me no end. Really. :lol:

I miss Wheels.

I do too. Well... I don't miss him in the defence so much, since he was fairly done at the end of his career, but I miss having a senior player I had 100% faith in.

A couple of weeks ago, Robbo would have made a HUGE difference. But all in all, yes, the club made the right call with him.

I do too. Well... I don't miss him in the defence so much, since he was fairly done at the end of his career, but I miss having a senior player I had 100% faith in.

A couple of weeks ago, Robbo would have made a HUGE difference. But all in all, yes, the club made the right call with him.

Robbo wouldve made a huge difference - he'd have made us lose more games because our forward line wouldn't be working as a cohesive unit - he'd be the one weak link that wouldn't chase and apply pressure.

A footballer from a bygone era.

Sad but true.

At their respective primes all those senior players were good to very good AFL players. But as a consequence of age, battle scars and the pace of the game each of these players had fallen off the pace considerably in their final few years. It was the same with White and Yze. MFC did what they had to do and did so professionally and respectfully.

We are much better off for making some of those hard decisions on those ageing warriors and trading Trapper and Brock.

Robbo wouldve made a huge difference - he'd have made us lose more games because our forward line wouldn't be working as a cohesive unit - he'd be the one weak link that wouldn't chase and apply pressure.

A footballer from a bygone era.

Sad but true.

Pretty harsh. IMO Robbo always worked hard.

I still remember speaking to a guy who claimed he wasn't renewing his membership because we had traded TJ.

Fast forward to now and he's in and out of the Brisbane team.

Not the guy who wouldnt buy a membership???? B)

You have to love those people who make such a silly stand as if its going to have an impact. An ultimate lose-lose outcome.

Pretty harsh. IMO Robbo always worked hard.

Not in the eyes of the coaches. A player born with a great leap and no 2nd efforts

Robbo reminds me of Newton - He can take a specky but he doesn't try hard enough when he doesn't have the ball. Along with Miller, Newton should go to the Gold Coast. They have good games occasionally but are too inconsistent. They are clogging our list and should be replaced with younger players who have potential.

Consider what I was referring to. Our game against West Coast, he would have been a good player to have inside fifty, as we literally had no-one once Bate got hurt. Would have made a difference there.

We're 12th for points for, and 3rd for points against. Our forward line is still weak. Robbo would add goals to out total. Simple as that.

Now don't misunderstand me. I'm not advocating playing him, as I'd prefer to see future forwards fail now and learn from it. But the reality is Robbo would have been good for a few goals this season. The reality also is it would have meant nothing to the club's future.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I miss them in my heart as they were all good servants of the club, but players come and players go - what matters is the here and now and how it affects the MFC.

Could have still used wheels this year (would have been a huge help V WC on LeCras). We have to move on, and hopefully we can unearth antoher tough quick back line player to take his place.

Guest The Boss

I miss Robbo, I was always a big fan. He should of played at least one more season as a bit of a farewell tour. I believe he could of added another 30-35 goals this year pending fitness, and he would probably add some great clips to his highlight reel. I am still happy to go to games wearing number 24 on my back.

And another thing, I disagreed with Liam Jurrah receing Robbo's number this season. This is nothing against Jurrah, but I have always thought the numbers of club greats and cult players should be rested for at least a year before they are given to the next bloke. Although I will admit that the number 24 suits Jurrah, as I am sure he will add plenty of excitement to our forward line throughout his career, I just hope it isn't a curse and he is plagued with injury.

personally i know this goe back to previous discussions but i would of loved to see jurrah make the number 48 his own. i saw more than a few number 48s on the backs of jumpers last year. he was a shining light in a dismal year. he was the sole reason i watched a number of games last year. in a way he has made it his own in that short cameo he wore it. but to forge a career with it would of been something special.

Edited by hillie

Grossly oversimplified portrait of Robbo. Robbo put in second efforts as intensely as any player of his time. The problem was that the efforts weren't good enough. He was too easily defended by strong defenders like Scarlett, Glass etc. He had physical limitations and skill limitations but did his best.Every so often, he lifted his team with a mark using the "great leap" you remember him for.

You mean he took a mark that lifted the crowd.

Not sure what effect it would have had on his teammates.

Can't agree with any of what you just posted.

Not the guy who wouldnt buy a membership???? B)

You have to love those people who make such a silly stand as if its going to have an impact. An ultimate lose-lose outcome.

Not in the eyes of the coaches. A player born with a great leap and no 2nd efforts

Grossly oversimplified portrait of Robbo. Robbo put in second efforts as intensely as any player of his time. The problem was that the efforts weren't good enough. He was too easily defended by strong defenders like Scarlett, Glass etc. He had physical limitations and skill limitations but did his best.Every so often, he lifted his team with a mark using the "great leap" you remember him for.