One of the better losses.

Dappa Dan

good sides find a way to win...cats are a prime example

Correct. There was nothing honourable about last night. It was not good enough and we must improve as a Team.

The first Q the dogs kicked easy goals and that cost us.

It is great to see this team emerging though, but the players have got to learn to finish off passages of play

All that hard work for no result must be unacceptable to the whole club.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairly defamitory! A big shot at our older players. Whether true or not, stuff Malthouse.

This was not an honourable loss. That, I think, is the major point.

Nope. The tone of the conversation was that of admiration. Malthouse, like so many footy fans (though not some on here) realises what some on demonland have known for a while. The holistic approach the the period 2007 through to now is bearing fruit. The way he was talking, he sounded as though he wasn't looking forward to seeing us play the pies on QB. He never said honourable loss. Neither did I, actually. Come to think of it few people have. He was looking specifically at the list and the way we played. Like anyone with half a brain and some experience with watching AFL footy knows, these losses at times do more for you than a scrappy win in wet weather.

This, I think, is the major point. There are more important things than winning a single H&A game. Nobody was singing the praises of the Dogs, after all.

Correct. There was nothing honourable about last night. It was not good enough and we must improve as a Team.

All that hard work for no result must be unacceptable to the whole club.

Define "not good enough." Define "unacceptable."

I would have thought the manner in which most of the side played with no forwards (besides Bate and Hughes) was entirely acceptable.

Going by this logic, ANY year in which we don't win the grand final after a finals clean sweep and 22 H&A wins is "unacceptable." Given it's been 40+ years since we even won a flag, and given that that much loss is "unacceptable," how are you still following the club?

It's naive and childish to expect perfection. In fact, given this list's age, it's ridiculous.

Nobody's asking us to be happy with ANY loss. But ignoring how much the team showed... that's just... That's not what footy is all about.

What is unacceptable to me is a lack of effort shown by the 22. In every game this year barring the first half of the Hawks game, this team has gone above and beyond their competitors in effort. We had no right to get close to a top-4 side from 2009, given we were that year's wooden spooners. And yet?

I find that MOST acceptable.

Define "not good enough." Define "unacceptable."

I would have thought the manner in which most of the side played with no forwards (besides Bate and Hughes) was entirely acceptable.

Going by this logic, ANY year in which we don't win the grand final after a finals clean sweep and 22 H&A wins is "unacceptable." Given it's been 40+ years since we even won a flag, and given that that much loss is "unacceptable," how are you still following the club?

It's naive and childish to expect perfection. In fact, given this list's age, it's ridiculous.

Nobody's asking us to be happy with ANY loss. But ignoring how much the team showed... that's just... That's not what footy is all about.

What is unacceptable to me is a lack of effort shown by the 22. In every game this year barring the first half of the Hawks game, this team has gone above and beyond their competitors in effort. We had no right to get close to a top-4 side from 2009, given we were that year's wooden spooners. And yet?

I find that MOST acceptable.

Fair point Dappa, but you left out my middle sentences.

Last night was a great Effort-But it was not good enough.

In years past that game and performance would have been acceptable to this club.

Not anymore. We have to be furious as a Club this week so that we Finish off Wet Coke next weekend.

If anybody thinks last week was Honourable or acceptable we will be beaten next week.

Last Nights game proves one thing. The Boys can play and Beat Top sides-They just have to do it better- and they will.

Fair point Dappa, but you left out my middle sentences.

Last night was a great Effort-But it was not good enough.

In years past that game and performance would have been acceptable to this club.

Not anymore. We have to be furious as a Club this week so that we Finish off Wet Coke next weekend.

If anybody thinks last week was Honourable or acceptable we will be beaten next week.

Last Nights game proves one thing. The Boys can play and Beat Top sides-They just have to do it better- and they will.

I sometimes find you a little tiresome WYL.

Of course losses are not the desired result for a group of competitive youngsters, but that game could have, and probably should have, gone the other way.

We aregetting better and narrow losses are part of the journey that we started in 2008.

Get real and let the kids screw up, they'll learn and get better.

I sometimes find you a little tiresome WYL.

Of course losses are not the desired result for a group of competitive youngsters, but that game could have, and probably should have, gone the other way.

We aregetting better and narrow losses are part of the journey that we started in 2008.

Get real and let the kids screw up, they'll learn and get better.

Once again you do not understand what i am writing. I am not talking of the kids. I am proud of them and the improvement.

I am talking of the club and the supporters who for years accepted honourable losses as being ok. Which is why we have had the term "Soft" for so many years.

You maybe younger than i, but that soft tag has been around a long time & the only way to get rid of it is to beat good sides.

In 1988 & 2000 not one person gave us a chance of winning those GF's They might have said they did but deep down we all knew what the result was going to be.

I don't like honourable losses, for a lot of hard work you get zero result at the end of the day.

I just want my club to have that same attitude going forward. For all the Hard work i have never watched the 88 or 2000 GF replays and i never will.

Next time we make Grand Final(s) i want to watch them.

Can't argue with that.

Can't say that I enjoyed the result, but it was an incredible game to watch. Bennell is doing very well to stake claims on the mark/goal of the year categories (especially in the absence of Jurrah).

I just love how he did both in the same night.

interesting view..Why do you think so? (not arguing btw-just interested) Is it part of the teaching cycle???

We're a developing side. Finally we only have one aim in mind... A Premiership. As part of the development the team needs to learn that near enough isn't good enough. On Friday we can talk all about the umpires, the colours and even the rain. The fact remains that the Doggies won the game because they were able to find that little extra when it really mattered. Our young players got to see that first hand, they also got to experience (again) what it feels like to let one slip. We've got plenty more wins than losses to come. Losses like these teach players so much. They also pour a little more petrol on the fire in the belly. If I was West Coast I'd be bringing my absolute A game to the G next Saturday.

Why don't we deserve the credit?

Dogs and Pies weren't flat, they were pressured into making mistakes because we hunted them. Just like last week North hunted us and won.

We are actually not a bad team. I know it's hard to comprehend and I forget that sometimes, but we are in a much better position than a large majority of clubs because we have a lot of uncapped potential and talent.

When we can play on our terms, we are right up with in terms of ball movement. Imagine what a forwardline could do for us...:o

Absolutely spot on. The Bulldogs were forced to get rid of the ball in a big hurry all night because of our ferocious tackling and bustling. I thought our boys were magnificent and did not deserve to lose. BUT the men? in PINK had other ideas. Could not believe the field umpire twice bullying the goal umpire re his decision. Was it the same umpire on BOTH occasions? The Goal umpire, of course could still have signalled the goals (plural} as according to the rules he has the power to make his OWN decision unless HE has some doubt.

Despite all this we have turned the corner. Look out the rest!!

This, I think, is the major point. There are more important things than winning a single H&A game. Nobody was singing the praises of the Dogs, after all.

Very good point. The performance of the Demons may well be this year's story. Negligible press on the Bulldogs almost to irrelevancy.

Self-belief musy now be at a 4 year high, and the younger team members will be developing a terrifc level of confidence - the most important quality in young players.

We're a developing side. Finally we only have one aim in mind... A Premiership. As part of the development the team needs to learn that near enough isn't good enough. On Friday we can talk all about the umpires, the colours and even the rain. The fact remains that the Doggies won the game because they were able to find that little extra when it really mattered. Our young players got to see that first hand, they also got to experience (again) what it feels like to let one slip. We've got plenty more wins than losses to come. Losses like these teach players so much. They also pour a little more petrol on the fire in the belly. If I was West Coast I'd be bringing my absolute A game to the G next Saturday.

Totally agree. Just after i read your comment earlier, Robert Shaw & Kouta were talking about Friday nights game. Mark Fine said "All supporters would have left the ground smiling" NO, in past years MFC supporters would have left the ground reasnoably content. But not now. We let one slip that we shouldn't have, this new team has set a very high standard very quickly (admittedly at the MCG, but the rest will follow).

Robert Shaw and Kouta both said that now is the time to give the boys a hard week on the track so they learn more about that 1% mental toughness that cost us 2 games so far this season.

Maybe you are right, that losing friday nights match will benefit the long term. But this notion of "honourable loss" being acceptable must be erased from the club because it relaxes everybody into that tiny bit of false security.

I hear that the players were filthy after the game, really hurting-Good, that means they really care. Next saturday we have to be primed to take Wet Coke apart as atonement-We out played the dogs for 70% of that game but the book says 0 points. The old Melbourne would have been satisfied-no more.

The team have progressed way more than i & many have expected so far this year, so it's no use backing off now.

I can cop losses, its a tough comp but i don't believe in back slapping after a close loss. (by that i don't mean booing players or anything like that!!!) If we want to win flags going forward the team & club have got to set very high standards, which i think is happening. An honourable loss should now be looked on as 4 points lost-which has now happened twice so far this year.

Would be very interesting to know what Tom Scully' was feeling post match after his incredible performance-was he satisfied or furious? I hope the latter.

Totally agree. Just after i read your comment earlier, Robert Shaw & Kouta were talking about Friday nights game. Mark Fine said "All supporters would have left the ground smiling" NO, in past years MFC supporters would have left the ground reasnoably content. But not now. We let one slip that we shouldn't have, this new team has set a very high standard very quickly (admittedly at the MCG, but the rest will follow).

Robert Shaw and Kouta both said that now is the time to give the boys a hard week on the track so they learn more about that 1% mental toughness that cost us 2 games so far this season.

Maybe you are right, that losing friday nights match will benefit the long term. But this notion of "honourable loss" being acceptable must be erased from the club because it relaxes everybody into that tiny bit of false security.

I hear that the players were filthy after the game, really hurting-Good, that means they really care. Next saturday we have to be primed to take Wet Coke apart as atonement-We out played the dogs for 70% of that game but the book says 0 points. The old Melbourne would have been satisfied-no more.

The team have progressed way more than i & many have expected so far this year, so it's no use backing off now.

I can cop losses, its a tough comp but i don't believe in back slapping after a close loss. (by that i don't mean booing players or anything like that!!!) If we want to win flags going forward the team & club have got to set very high standards, which i think is happening. An honourable loss should now be looked on as 4 points lost-which has now happened twice so far this year.

Would be very interesting to know what Tom Scully' was feeling post match after his incredible performance-was he satisfied or furious? I hope the latter.

Tom Scully is one of those guys that will never be satisfied. That's why he will become the yardstick for the competition. I'm off to pinch myself as he actually plays for Us.

Is it possible to be satisfied with the performance but not with the result?

They were deprived of 2 goals in questionable circumstances. Was it Griffin's greater ability to know how to win a match that made that kick bounce just over Warnock's head? If that bounce was a metre lower and Warnock had spoiled it ...

In games like that, they put in a performance that was enough to win the game but the chips just didn't fall their way. I think we all hate the loss, but that's no reason for us not to like the performance.

They were deprived of 2 goals in questionable circumstances. Was it Griffin's greater ability to know how to win a match that made that kick bounce just over Warnock's head? If that bounce was a metre lower and Warnock had spoiled it ...

In games like that, they put in a performance that was enough to win the game but the chips just didn't fall their way. I think we all hate the loss, but that's no reason for us not to like the performance.

Satisfaction must only return to this club when it holds a Premiership Cup, even then I think they should be looking at more than 1.

Forget the bounce over Warnock's head Bartram should have sent that ball to the boundary line. Never blame the umpires.(Although feel free to [censored] and moan as they were ordinary again on Friday) Games are won and lost by the players. How about our 6 straight behinds in the opening quarter. Or Grimes string of clangers.

It's fine for us supporters to be somewhat satisfied by Friday's performance, I know I was. But do you think the players should be satisfied? Do you think Tom Scully would be satisfied. I mean one less clanger may have been enough for us to win that game. It's harsh I know but that's the environment we're competing in. Winning is all there is.

Edited by Roost It

The performance was great of course it was, but the players have to learn quickly that regardless of that it wasn't good enough. In the past i don't think we ever really grasped that concept-that's my point.

Last friday nights game is one for the club to use as motivation i believe. That gut busting great proud effort still was not good enough, how do we rectify that?

I reckon DB will do it, don't worry i am not trying to be negative. But the whole club has to lift to get out of the position of the last 46 years. We all know it, The boys have got to go out next week with the mind set of smashing Wet Coke all over the ground.

We beat the Crows after Collingwood, now the same for the Eagles. Mental toughness this week at training.

For me, pleased to see that they're learning to play (well), and play together. Learning to win (when it counts) is still a little further down the road.

Taking positives from a game that we lost isn't an endorsement of losing.

For me, pleased to see that they're learning to play (well), and play together. Learning to win (when it counts) is still a little further down the road.

What a pathetic mindset!

Positives from a game...that we lost?!

Can I applaud grimes' run from defence? Can I amaze at Scullys' last quarter? Can I be proud that the four highest contested possesion winners were 20, 19, 18, and 18?

Can I be happy with that 'progress'?

No, because I want my kids to learn to walk before they can crawl. Because I am an anal parent who doesn't like telling them what they are doing right as they grow up, and only point out what small mistakes they made along the way.

Can I applaud grimes' run from defence? Can I amaze at Scullys' last quarter? Can I be proud that the four highest contested possesion winners were 20, 19, 18, and 18?

Can I be happy with that 'progress'?

No, because I want my kids to learn to walk before they can crawl. Because I am an anal parent who doesn't like telling them what they are doing right as they grow up, and only point out what small mistakes they made along the way.

Yes of course you can, but at the same time the team should not be satisfied by it.

Yes of course you can, but at the same time the team should not be satisfied by it.

If that is the crux of your point than we agree.

And you are Captain Obvious...

"Whenver there is a need to say something inherent or implicit to a conversation - there will be Captain Obvious!"

I love you, WYL.

But jeez...

Very good point. The positive from last Friday was seeing the young players running into the center corridor and overlapping demanding the ball, as they did against Brisbane.

Often the calls weren't honoured in the last 1/4 when we had it on the MCC boundary, maybe tiredness perhaps, but the team knows what its doing and have learnt a lot.