Changes for next week

MadAsHell

IN: Bail (if fit), McKenzie (if fit), Maric (will need to provide Melbourne the x factor in the forward line now without Petterd & Jurrah), Newton (need someone to provide a target and capable of taking a pack mark).

OUT: Petterd (inj), Bartram (stiff), Dunn (stiff), Garland (stiff, but could do with a couple of weeks in the VFL to get back to top form).

FB: Frawley, Warnock, McDonald

HB: MacDonald, Rivers, Grimes

C: Bruce, McKenzie, Davey

HF: Sylvia, Bate, Bail

FF: Green, Newton, Maric

FOLL: Jamar, Moloney, Jones

INT: Bennell, Martin, Scully, Trengove

Other peoples thoughts of changes?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Melbourne Team

Backs: McDonald, Warnock, Frawley

Half backs: Bruce, Garland, Bartram

Centreline: Trengove, Davey, Jones

Half forwards: Green, Watts, Dunn

Forwards: Sylvia, Bate, Bail

Followers: Jamar, Grimes, Moloney

I/C: MacDonald, McKenzie, Scully, Bennell

IN - Watts McKenzie Bail

OUT - Petterd Martin ????

Massive ask next week, I think it could get quite ugly come Friday night.

Melbourne Team

IN - Watts McKenzie Bail

OUT - Petterd Martin ????

Massive ask next week, I think it could get quite ugly come Friday night.

The other one you left out was Rivers.

IN: BAIL, MCKENZIE, WATTS

OUT: PETTERD, DUNN, MARTIN

Hopefully Mckenzie can play. Dunn and Martin aren't up to it at the moment. Petterd injured so we need a marking forward. If Watts isn't that player then let's play PJ.

McKenzie was out due to "general soreness" and supposedly will 100% be back Friday night. Agree with Martin, he had his chance just like Juice and did not take it by the scruff of the neck... OUT. Dunn im 50/50 on.

IN: Bail (if fit), McKenzie (if fit), Maric (will need to provide Melbourne the x factor in the forward line now without Petterd & Jurrah), Newton (need someone to provide a target and capable of taking a pack mark).

OUT: Petterd (inj), Bartram (stiff), Dunn (stiff), Garland (stiff, but could do with a couple of weeks in the VFL to get back to top form).

FB: Frawley, Warnock, MacDonald

HB: Bartram, Rivers, Grimes

Ctr: McDonald, Moloney, Sylvia

HF: Davey, Bate, Green

FF: Garland, Newton, Bruce

FOLL: Jamar, Dunn, Jones

INT: Trengove, Scully, McKenzie, PJ

Emrg's: Cheney, Bail, Bennell, Martin, Strauss

Edited by dee-luded

No it was Dunn

Who's right next to Watts at CHF on his team list? Lynden Dunn.

He played great yesterday IMO.

In:

Bail and McKenzie: On form, these guys are part of our best side. If they're good to go, then they must play. Bail didn't play again on the weekend though, so there's a chance he'll line up for Casey after two weeks out.

Cheney: I'm no fan to be truthful, but I believe continued good form at Casey should be rewarded when spots in the side come up for grabs. Don't know where he'll play or how he'll go, but he has earned another shot.

Out:

Petterd: Really disappointing. He adds a hard edge to the side that will be missed.

Martin: If last week his game was encouraging, this week his game was disappointing. I'm all for persevering with inexperienced players, particularly talls, but you've got to offer something. Jamar has demonstrated he is able to play out a game by himself in the ruck, so he must continue to do so until there's some able help.

Rivers: I'll probably revise this later in the week ("aligning expectation with reality"), as reality says I doubt the FD will drop him, but I don't see what he brings to the side that other players aren't better at. He was a passenger this weekend.

Like many I'm always looking to find ways to get Dunn out of the side, but it won't be this week. He's playing good enough football to hold his place, weekly brain fades notwithstanding.

Macdonald was easily our WOG, but I'd be disappointed if he was omitted on the back of one poor game. I'm not a believer of dropping players on the back of one poor performance when they're clearly "best side" players.

I'll probably change my mind on all this later.

Bartram ??? please he has been great since coming back in, Maric does not deserve a spot, Newton capable of taking a pack mark since when? , Bail and Mckenzie yep agree there we need their run out Petterd and Martin

McKenzie was out due to "general soreness" and supposedly will 100% be back Friday night. Agree with Martin, he had his chance just like Juice and did not take it by the scruff of the neck... OUT. Dunn im 50/50 on.

One week is "his chance" is it? Even Juice got more than one week.

Given the wraps for Miller's BOG effort at Casey, he has to be a real chance of a return this week with Petterd gone.

PJ also was highly rated and might be considered because what we need is a body at FF rather than CHF. Still Miller pushing up and Green and Bate leading into the space created is a possibility.

Also Cheney evidently played a ripper at Casey - could be time for him to get a run.

I hate to say it but Rivers did not impress yesterday, but I think the FD will give him another run.

Me? I'd lose Bruce cos he butchers it, but that's probably not going to happen

My ins and outs (which are completely irrelevant):

IN Cheney Johnson McKenzie

OUT Petterd Bruce Rivers/Bartram

I forgot Bartram - I'd drop Bartram just for letting that weasel Harvey run around him in the 3rd quarter to goal. That was one weak effort. So that gives Rivers a chance to find something. Ditto Joel Mac who someone else rightly said should not be punished for one bad one (but Oh what a shocker).

Edited by pitmaster

Melbournes previous 4 good games were based on pressure, tackling and run. The loss of McKenzie and Bail, for replacements Martin and Rivers severely impacted on the teams ability to do this. Note this is not about players but structures. Against a tall North Melbourne we still had too many tall backs in Warnock, Frawley, Garland, and Rivers.

McKenzie is a must inclusion as he automatically increases the midfield pressure, which also flows on to:

midfield turnovers at stoppages (before it is cleared) giving us more chances at the contested positios and of course clearances

creates space and time for our other midfielders - this can allow for better skills my hand and or foot, more run, and even the ability to take on and break tackles (a split second difference between a half tackle and full tackle makes a world of difference)

skill effeciency of the opposition in hitting up opponents often means less pressure for the backs and therefore the ability to run off and create

Bail's run creates a lot of options coming out of defence, in the midfield, and more importantly up forward. His opponent cannot affort to play to loose on him. More importantly he is damaging with the ball - who would an opposition rather the ball with on the wing Bail, Martin or Rivers. Bail will win on both run-n-carry and delivery. NOTE this is not to the deteriment of Martin or Rivers who have other strengths over that of both Bail and McKenzie i.e contested marks, third man up, etc it's more about roles in a team.

Yesterday, we were effectively down one inside midfielder and one outside midfielder.

The Bulldogs have effectively only 1 ruck (with an up-n-comer), and 1 true tall forward (not counting the kids); but plenty of pace throughout. 3 of Warnock, Frawley, Rivers, Garland and to a lesser extent Joel MacDonald is all that's needed. Brian Lake is also one of the best in the position so we should not be expecting to win this position rather breakeven or nullify it. Running him all over the field and away from the contest would be useful - a slow lumbering tall would not. Lake has shown at a minimum, that he rarely get's beaten in the air.

In's

McKenzie and Bail if fit

Out

Martin and Rivers (Garlands pace might be more useful against the dogs)

and injured Petterd should be replaced by Miller or Watts; Though I would go with Garland (I can see him playing a Petterd role) with Rivers to the backline.

Outside the box - I would replace an injured Petterd with Cheney and find a forward from the current squad. We only need support for Green, Sylvia and Bate. Perhaps Dunn, Garland, Rivers, Bruce or even Grimes (I would leave him in defence though as our rebounding general). This should ad to our strengths of Pressure/tackle and run - whilst no losing to much up front.

earning a spot like Cheney has is good for team culture, as is minimal disruptions. Note Morton is not far away and could play the Petterd role!

Bartram ??? please he has been great since coming back in, Maric does not deserve a spot, Newton capable of taking a pack mark since when? , Bail and Mckenzie yep agree there we need their run out Petterd and Martin

I agree Bartram has been good since being back in the side, but not sure who else to drop before him. McKenzie and Bail need to come back into the side and although Bartram and Dunn have been good, I see them as the most obvious players to make way, I wouldn't go resting Trengove or Scully yet and they'd probably be the next players you'd look at.

Given more thought about Juice I'm starting to have a change of heart about bringing him in and would probably keep Col Garland in ahead of him.

Given that I'd consider doing something outside the box and throwing Rivers to FF!! We've got enough tall backs to cover him and if he was at full forward we know he's a good mark and reads the play well. He'd create a contest if nothing else which is what we seriously lacked yesterday.

And just to add sorry, while I agree that Maric is yet to deserve a spot they need his creativity and forward pressure. Only other players would could do that are Davey (needed in the midfield), Wonna (still with Casey reserves) and Jetta (just back with Casey from injury).

Edited by Tall Defence

Was yesterday a record for smothers? Unbelievele amount I thought.

In: Bail, McKenzie, Cheney

Out: Rivers (but I know this probably won't happen), Dunn and Petterd (if injured)