Jack Watts

2014-Flag

Something that really struck me about Jack yesterday was his changed body shape. The concerns regarding him not being physically ready for AFL are no longer valid. Last year he was noticeably a boy, he is already becoming a man. There's no way his listed 196cm 83kg is still correct. He spent most of the game standing alongside Miller and I would estimate he's really closer to 198cm 88kg. I appreciate that weight isn't a visual thing but I'm 184cm and about 83kg myself and there's no way on earth I weigh the same as Jack now. He is big.

And GG, how does waiting another 1-2 weeks beyond next week constitute "facing a long term wait"??

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's time! Especially to run out against the Eagles on the MCG!

IN - Watts

OUT - Dunn

I would play him at FF with Bate at CHF. Hughes and Bennell by his side.

Sorry dont know that word - off with the cotton wool. It's Time......

Otherwise we are facing a long term wait to see whether we have a 'wayne carey' or a darren gaspar' like player taken at number one.

I'm of the opinion that it's good enough for the Sculgove duo, then we need this to become a trio and soon.

Get in there Jack - cant wait.

GG

it looks like someone is going to throw their teddy in the corner

Edited by Sturmmann

it wasn't this week. Jack was ok but not dominant. Brilliant at times, but by no means BOG. He is 2-3 weeks away at least

Who said anything about BOG or dominant?

Did he run out 4 quarters was the criteria.

Very different things.

Jack Watts looked FIT at dying moments of the last quarter, his fitness looked excellent, I didnt notice anything to say his fitness was poor...

Wonna looked tired, but what do you expect, he is getting his fitness back up, exciting young man.

it wasn't this week. Jack was ok but not dominant. Brilliant at times, but by no means BOG. He is 2-3 weeks away at least

Very strange comments. There wasn't a single dominant player because it was a team effort and several did well. But little doubt that he would have been in the best 3 on ground. The requirement was to string good games together, not to dominate or get BOG, and his last 2 games on wing and flank seem to have satified the main judge.

For his first game at CHF at any level (except his school) since being at the Dees, this was a good game, and in the position he was recruited to play. He definitely looked much more at home as a KPF. His main opponents were McGuane & Gourdis, who have both had AFL games.

You are right about one thing though - he can and will do better, much better. A "good-but-not-great" game (admittedly against poor opposition) nets him 4.2 & 3 GAs.

Not sure if one performance at Casey is enough to warrant selection. It was a good performance, yes, but so far that's the only game he's really looked comfortable at VFL level.

Let's also not forget the match was against Coburg, who suck.

I'm thinking we need to see him do it again, preferably next week, before we bring him in to the side.

On the other hand, Watts in for Dunn does sound nice...

I don't think it is, Yet... He looks Now, like he's starting to move across the ground with Ease. So his fitness is starting to emerge pushing upfield & back gliding around the ground instead of running like a Hippopotamus just a couple of weeks ago.

I'd say he's only a couple of games off selection. Two more games IMO & he'd be cherry ripe to go up & try taking on the AFL defenders, but he NEEDS to be fully fit.

He'll get his spot when he earns it.......not before!

If he's as talented as everyone expects, then it's not a matter of if, but when.

The reason Watts isn't playing in the team at the moment is because of Jack, and Jack alone.

I love the the way the club is handling him at the moment.........don't get ahead of yourself young fella........you'll play when you've earnt it!

He was named at CHF and obviously played as a key forward, but how did he position himself ? Did he start each centre bounce at CHF ? Did he at times play deeper to goal ? Did he play almost in between FF and CHF ? Was he the main forward focal point, or share the duties equally with Newton and Miller ?

He was named at CHF and obviously played as a key forward, but how did he position himself ? Did he start each centre bounce at CHF ? Did he at times play deeper to goal ? Did he play almost in between FF and CHF ? Was he the main forward focal point, or share the duties equally with Newton and Miller ?

Was tough at times to tell, as there were times he led up as far as the wing.

To me he was other lined up at CHF or at the very least between FF and CHF.

He was a bit all over the ground though and still came up to the centreline to assist, once we had the ball he would use his pace to run back into the 50 screaming for the ball, would have had 2 easy uncontested marks if the kicks to him were a bit better.

I actually should have mentioned those runs earlier, as I think they were significant, because it really showed how much he will suit our current game plan running back with the flight using our pace. He is definately going to be quicker than the full back. Our game plan is going to suit the Watts/Jurrah tandem perfectly.

Was tough at times to tell, as there were times he led up as far as the wing.

To me he was other lined up at CHF or at the very least between FF and CHF.

He was a bit all over the ground though and still came up to the centreline to assist, once we had the ball he would use his pace to run back into the 50 screaming for the ball, would have had 2 easy uncontested marks if the kicks to him were a bit better.

I actually should have mentioned those runs earlier, as I think they were significant, because it really showed how much he will suit our current game plan running back with the flight using our pace. He is definately going to be quicker than the full back. Our game plan is going to suit the Watts/Jurrah tandem perfectly.

This, I think, is one of the main reason's why Bailey is riding him so hard this year. Melbourne's game plan demands fit and dedicated players. We know Watts is all class and when his game fitness gets to the right level he'll play, but by doing this Bailey is making sure he won't be a complete flop and fits into our style.

I'm loving Bailey more and more, and with each week that goes by I'm getting more and more excited about young Jack.

Some centre bounces he was in the goalsquare with nobody in front of him, others he had Miller down there with him, others he was up at half-forward and running into the middle after the bounce.

I'd say he and Miller were both the key forward focal points, though Jack had more time moving up to half forward and had a couple of I50s to Miller on a lead. The only thing Newton was a target for was well earned derision from the supporters. He's so ordinary in every single way. He should never get a game ahead of Miller.

I was talking to my Filth-supporting dad about Jack Watts and I asked when he should play. He responded, 'This week definitely.'

It seems the perfect round, doesn't it? Considering that it's only Melbourne vs West Coast, it's Saturday afternoon, it's not really a big game, and West Coast are down the bottom end of the ladder with not much of a backline, why not?

My dad also said, 'Play him the rest of the season, he's not getting any match experience in the reserves. Wouldn't it be great to see Scully, Trengove and Watts playing together? Watts will improve a lot if this happens'.

Hate to say it, but there's a smart Collingwood supporter who I agree with 100%.

First time I've seen the words "smart" and "Collingwood supporter" put together. That is a worry. I'm just glad things turned out alright for you. Being a Demon Fan and all.

Jack will earn his call up. No doubt his name will be discussed this week for the Eagles.

I'm thinking no change.

By the way, I disagree that it's not really a "big game". It's important for the MFC, despite it not being a "blockbuster".

I'm hoping for 35,000. Saturday fixture.

First time I've seen the words "smart" and "Collingwood" put together. That is a worry. I'm just glad things turned out alright for you. Being a Demon Fan and all.

Jack will earn his call up. No doubt his name will be discussed this week for the Eagles.

I'm thinking no change.

Paul Johnson didn't kick the footy once Friday night.

IN Watts

OUT Johnson

Unless you know for a fact that he is playing this week then this should be in the other Jack Watts thread. But I do agree, they should play him this week.

First time I've seen the words "smart" and "Collingwood supporter" put together. That is a worry. I'm just glad things turned out alright for you. Being a Demon Fan and all.

Who's that bloke in your sig go for? Has he converted already? :P

Paul Johnson didn't kick the footy once Friday night.

IN Watts

OUT Johnson

With Cox & Naitanui playing (supposedly); Jamar might need a back up against them. Considering the conditions on Friday night, etc I'm not surprised he didn't kick it. I don't think Jamar had that many either, come to think of it.

POINTS FOR PLAYING JW

Extra 5000 at our home game, with all the publicity. More money for our ailing coffers.

Gets experience(game time) at top level.

Becomes accustomed to Scully/Trengrove/Davey/Grimes etc gameplan.

We should win this one...good game to get into the swing of it.

POINTS AGAINST.

Just getting confidence at VFL level.

Extra pressure because of comparison to Nic.Nat.

Who to drop? Probably can't replace a ruckman(PJ). Hughes and Dunn....deserve another game.

With Cox & Naitanui playing (supposedly); Jamar might need a back up against them. Considering the conditions on Friday night, etc I'm not surprised he didn't kick it. I don't think Jamar had that many either, come to think of it.

Well Lynden Dunn's next on the list. And Jamar rarely kicks it, he prefers to give it off to teammates in better spaces who can kick better.

IN Watts

OUT Dunn

POINTS FOR PLAYING JW

Extra 5000 at our home game, with all the publicity. More money for our ailing coffers.

Gets experience(game time) at top level.

Becomes accustomed to Scully/Trengrove/Davey/Grimes etc gameplan.

We should win this one...good game to get into the swing of it.

POINTS AGAINST.

Just getting confidence at VFL level.

Extra pressure because of comparison to Nic.Nat.

Who to drop? Probably can't replace a ruckman(PJ). Hughes and Dunn....deserve another game.

I know we're all very excited about Jack, but his selection absolutely does not translate to 5,000 people deciding they will go to the game when they otherwise wouldn't have.

The idea of players who "put bums in seats" is all very well, but I find the idea that 5000 people wouldn't go to a Melbourne game because Jack Watts isn't playing fanciful.

Forecast for Saturday, Sunny, light winds.

They're going to be tempted.

Personally I think he'll play casey this week and MFC next week as Casey have the bye.

Edited by Roost It