Jack Watts

2014-Flag

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jack now has his work outlined in front of him. He needs to do all the obvious things.. , bulk up, get stronger, become more assertive and use that gifted footy brain of his with belief. we al lknow it wont happen overnight and some weeks he'll go backwards not forwards but it will be in the overview as a season we need to see how he's coming along. He needs to stay in that line up and get some support. He had bugger all this week. it will be a journey of steps...not an overnight sensation.

Fun police. Your realistic expectations of a first round pick are not welcome here.

sorry for that... shall go have four sherberts and stand in corner :rolleyes:

Edited by belzebub59

On the contrary it was carp pass which was not placed to his advantage on a 1 on 1. It was kicked over his head.

Very poor disposal and a forward deserves better opportunities. The passer was tied between having a ping or passing and ended up making a confused lousy ping for goal

I'm not sure about that RR.

This year we have been putting the ball between the player and the goal for the run-on attack quite a bit. Bail has worked to this tactic several times.

Had that ball held up just a tad, or had Jack had more kick in his run, he was set for an uncontested mark running with the flight and a set shot from only a few metres out.

That's was Jack's chance to add some icing to a game that was generally pretty promising anyway.

Bennell kicked the ball WAY too late, he could've hit Jack in stride about 20m out from goal, but by the time he'd taken a bounce and kept running Jack was in the goalsquare with no more space to lead back to and the kick wasn't so much a pass as a shanked shot at goal as a result of indecision.

The ball wound up hooking viciously away over the opposite shoulder to what Jack had been calling over and dipping towards the far behind post when Jack was in the goalsquare moving towards the near goalpost. Frankly, it was a remarkable display of his agility that he even managed to get hands to it.

Patrick Smith on SEN this morning likened Jack to a young James Hird, I'd be happy with that.

I did too, here in '08 at TAC Cup time. As did a couple others from memory. Since then there has been plenty who have mentioned this. P.Smith join the queue.

Bennell kicked the ball WAY too late, he could've hit Jack in stride about 20m out from goal, but by the time he'd taken a bounce and kept running Jack was in the goalsquare with no more space to lead back to and the kick wasn't so much a pass as a shanked shot at goal as a result of indecision.

The ball wound up hooking viciously away over the opposite shoulder to what Jack had been calling over and dipping towards the far behind post when Jack was in the goalsquare moving towards the near goalpost. Frankly, it was a remarkable display of his agility that he even managed to get hands to it.

Exactly. Very good description of events.

Just a comment I heard from a Geelong supporter who shows little to no interest in any team other than Geelong:

'Jack Watts might look like a schoolboy, but I don't know if I've ever seen a player of his height and experience so damn good at ground level. The kid is going to dominate'.

It's coming. It's just a while off.

Grant Thomas just said on Footy Classified he think Watts will be a terrific player, and said if you watched the game on the weekend and Jack Watts wasn't Jack Watts the number 1 draft pick, you would say this kid has some real talent, and will be a player.

Expectations of him dominating now are unrealistic. I thought he looked good on Saturday........he's just going to take a little while to develop.

Grant Thomas just said on Footy Classified he think Watts will be a terrific player, and said if you watched the game on the weekend and Jack Watts wasn't Jack Watts the number 1 draft pick, you would say this kid has some real talent, and will be a player.

Expectations of him dominating now are unrealistic. I thought he looked good on Saturday........he's just going to take a little while to develop.

Yes. To add to the discussion on Watts from what I have heard on "On the couch" and also comments by Patrick Smith this morning on SEN with KB:

"If you were new to the game and were there on Saturday. And you were told that these two players went 1 and 2 in the draft (two years ago), but weren't told what order they went at. ... You would have walked away thinking that Watts must have gone at pick 1. " - From memory I think Mike Sheahan said this.

Now that is similar to what Grant Thomas said on Footy Classified. Thomas also thought Watts was going to be a "very good player". He was quite confident in his opinion on Watts (when isn't he ?) and all were a little perplexed re: L. Matthews comments on Watts on 3AW - Matthews thought Watts would be a player battling on the fringe of the 22. (not word for word).

KB is sometimes away with the fairies. No more than he was this morning. P.Smith had likened Watts to when Hird started out. KB tried to hose P.Smith down by saying that Hird "burst onto the scene" and that Watts hasn't. Patrick reminded KB that Watts had just played his 4th AFL game.

The best parts of the Watts game were that he took some strong contested grabs that were above his head (as opposed to out in front) and he looked really clean at ground level.

The worst parts of the Watts game were that he looked pretty pedestrian and didn't work as hard as I'd have liked, although there were some second and third efforts at CHF after he made a mistake.

In an post-match interview Watts said that the step up to AFL-level footy intensity was huge and that he was stuffed by quarter time. Given this, and the fact that he performed very well in sprints in testing, I'm confident these weaknesses shouldn't be of concern long-term.

Lyon was saying on MMM though that his problem is that he doesn't change his pace a lot, so makes him look a little slower than he actually is, said if he altered the pace of his leads i.e. quick, slow, quick again - those contested marks he took would have been uncontested - which he said is how Roo gets so many uncontested marks on the lead

I heard Lyon talking about Watts speed. IIRC he did not say that the fact he doesn't change his pace makes him look slower than he is. Lyon said that altering the pace of his leads could make up for his one-paced run by breaking it up.

I mentioned that a few times today, he was waving his hands to suggest they kick it to him but he should be demanding the ball, he has good hands and there were several times when he was one out and a mark would have given us a big advantage but they ignored him.

Once he gets more confidence he will present himself more and they will kick it to him, he can't just stand there and wait for it he has to move around and make himself the best option.

Good post. Way too often he just stood there with his arm up, half-heartedly waving. As someone else posted, he was often calling for it in a manner you might when you don't particularly want it. However, he admitted he was stuffed very early on (and wasn't the only one who didn't do enough to present an option).

It was no wonder he was stuffed early on (quarter time), he definitely worked hard leading, pressuring opposition, staying mobile throughout. Alot of over-eagerness on his part probably due to nerves would have contributed to this. It's no wonder he referred to himself as "cooked" at quarter time.

Pretty sure he had a GPS with him (in jumper) for the FD recording team for data (just by visual examination at the game). Would love to know how much ground he covered. His heart rate would have been off the chart early in the first quarter.

So…I’m at the West Coast game on Saturday and head down to the player’s tunnel to see off the Dees in what was a poor result. It was a game that a lot of us marked down as a win. Notwithstanding the umpires, the Dees lacked the quality that they showed against the Doggies, that’s for sure. What Saturday showed us that “expected wins” don’t yet exist for Melbourne. As Jack Watts walked off the ground I clapped and encouraged him to ‘Get ’em next week’.

What happened next shocked and bewildered me.

Two older gentlemen (Demon fans) yelled at me to stop clapping. One of the blokes was so incensed at us that he scorned us with barrage of abuse and kept yelling that we should “get a forward line”. Now, I don’t think he was all there upstairs, but never in all my years following the Dees that I have seen our fans turn on each other. This bloke wore his heart on his sleeve and was obviously, and majorly, upset over the loss. However, the next time I get told off for encouraging my own team, I’ll go he.

Jack Watts is still only nineteen. He’s put over 15 kilos on his frame since last season and is proving himself week in and week out for Casey. He racked up 15 disposals and took 5 marks (okay, one he dropped over his head which should have resulted in a goal)on Saturday. It was good test for him in just his fifth game for the club. Give the kid time.

As Jack Watts walked off the ground I clapped and encouraged him to ‘Get ’em next week’.

Two older gentlemen (Demon fans) yelled at me to stop clapping. One of the blokes was so incensed at us that he scorned us with barrage of abuse and kept yelling that we should “get a forward line”. Now, I don’t think he was all there upstairs, but never in all my years following the Dees that I have seen our fans turn on each other. This bloke wore his heart on his sleeve and was obviously, and majorly, upset over the loss. However, the next time I get told off for encouraging my own team, I’ll go he.

How was that bewildering? I don't condone the guy's behaviour, but it's no surprise that someone got annoyed when they saw a fan/fans clap the players off after a loss.

As an aside, if I was Watts I would have been embarassed to have someone clap me after the game.

It's akin to trudging off after a game only to have your grandmother start cheering, congratulating you all on 'trying hard'.

KB is sometimes away with the fairies. No more than he was this morning. P.Smith had likened Watts to when Hird started out. KB tried to hose P.Smith down by saying that Hird "burst onto the scene" and that Watts hasn't. Patrick reminded KB that Watts had just played his 4th AFL game.

Furthermore, Hird "burst onto the scene" when he kicked 6 early in his 2nd season when he was 20. So on the "Hird timeline", Jack has a full year up his sleeve before he has to measure up.

Many get sick of fans giving players an encouragement *clap* after a loss.

Fwiw, I can understand young kids cheering their heroes for their efforts (ie. they might not understand and just want to clap them off regardless of the result). I can also understand those who have been waiting years for a Premiership that get sick to the stomach when players receive pats on the back after a loss. It's a sign of how everyone has been raised.

To be honest it was a disappointing loss for a side that went in as favourites, probably expecting a win. I didn't clap and would not clap them off on a repeat performance.

Many are of the belief that the players should only receive admiration after a well earned win. That's life. You reward only good performances in my book.

How was that bewildering? I don't condone the guy's behaviour, but it's no surprise that someone got annoyed when they saw a fan/fans clap the players off after a loss.

As an aside, if I was Watts I would have been embarassed to have someone clap me after the game.

It's akin to trudging off after a game only to have your grandmother start cheering, congratulating you all on 'trying hard'.

I know this is a little off topic but just commenting on how we support our club I was so shattered by the way they played on Saturday that I walked out before they had come off the field. I always stay and support them off the field even in our darkest days but not on Saturday. I couldn't even look at them. On past performances that was a game that was ours. To make it worse how many Saturday games do we ever have. How on earth do we expect supporters to turn up (and not just the diehards) if they are going to be treated to that. Saying that however I would never stop going to games despite the teams performance.

I was unable to get to the game and so only got to watch it for the 1st time on video late last night. From what I saw, Jack was mighty impressive. He was VERY clean with his hands and MORE THAN earnt his spot for next week. Were Leigh Matthews' comments on Jack made before or after the game? Because if he made those comments after the game I watched then he has lost ANY credibility. He must have sipped too much cough mixture or something. Blind Freddie could identify what a great talent this underweight 6 foot 5inch one-grab 4th gamer who had oodles of time and poise is. Incredible. And even some on here who said he wasn't much chop. Seriously?

So…I’m at the West Coast game on Saturday and head down to the player’s tunnel to see off the Dees in what was a poor result. It was a game that a lot of us marked down as a win. Notwithstanding the umpires, the Dees lacked the quality that they showed against the Doggies, that’s for sure. What Saturday showed us that “expected wins” don’t yet exist for Melbourne. As Jack Watts walked off the ground I clapped and encouraged him to ‘Get ’em next week’.

Jack Watts is still only nineteen. He’s put over 15 kilos on his frame since last season and is proving himself week in and week out for Casey. He racked up 15 disposals and took 5 marks (okay, one he dropped over his head which should have resulted in a goal)on Saturday. It was good test for him in just his fifth game for the club. Give the kid time.

What's wrong with that?

There has long been a debate about whether clapping players off after a bad performance is the right thing to do. Personally I don't believe that there is anything to be gained by cheering/clapping them off after a performance like the Hawthorn or West Coast ones. I think it'd be better to have the players look around after something like that and realise that it takes effort to make it at AFL level.

i certainly didn't clap the boys off at the weekend but there was one bloke, probably about 50, wearing a Crystal Palace soccer shirt(red and blue stripes) who was giving the team a torrent of abuse, Richmond fan like, it was a disgrace, Watts got most of it, and Davey, some of it racist, i am not a violent person but its the closest i have ever come to knocking somebody out in my life, and to be honest if i wasn't in the MCC members i probably would've. what a complete tool, he was a lucky man he got out of the ground, there was people baying for his blood. fans like this we dont need, there 's passion and there's just plain stupidness.

hope i don't see him again.

Crystal Palace are rubbish too, i think i mentioned that to him!!!!

Edited by tarzan16

Not clapping is one thing and thats fine. THere are times I would not cheer them off (eg Round 1).

But people who hurl abuse and vective at the players after a loss are social menaces and should be dealt with by ground security

Were Leigh Matthews' comments on Jack made before or after the game? Because if he made those comments after the game I watched then he has lost ANY credibility. He must have sipped too much cough mixture or something. Blind Freddie could identify what a great talent this underweight 6 foot 5inch one-grab 4th gamer who had oodles of time and poise is. Incredible. And even some on here who said he wasn't much chop. Seriously?

Let me help you out.

I'd just finished having a beer after the game in the Bullring (just the one unfortunately) when the fellow I was with had to go. I normally stay a bit longer, but decided to leave.

As I was leaving the stadium I tuned in to AW and they were just starting to talk about Watts. Shane Healy was overly keen to get Matthews' opinion. Btw, does Shane Healy annoy the hell out of anyone else ? Anyway, he originally asked for a mark out of 10, but Matthews didn't want to go down that path. Matthews decided to grade him, or any other young player mentioned, as either 1, 2, or 3. 'One' was for a "good AFL player now", and he put Jack Grimes in that category, 'two' was "may become a good AFL player" and 'three' was "not likely to become a good AFL player". Matthews graded Watts bewteen 2 and 3. Healy repeated the question, "so you'd put Jack between not a good player now and may not become one ?" to wit Matthews replied, "yes, at best".

I couldn't really believe what I was hearing. I understood why he was saying that Watts had a "flanker's" body during the game, even though I was annoyed when he said he'd "hardly" bulked up from last year, but his comments after the game really riled me.

Matthews toned down his thoughts about Watts in his AFL.com article that came out yesterday, but I really wonder about the bloke sometimes. Matty Richardson was slightly more complimentary, but not a great deal. It was almost like he just toed the line with Matthews. He gave Watts game 5 out of 10, which was fair enough. He said that Saturday was the first time he'd actually seen Watts "show something".

Matthews really is a [censored]. He's not a stupid [censored], because he can offer very good insight. But he's either got something against Watts, or doesn't like Melb. Having heard that he doesn't rate our clubs golden era due to our advantages of playing on our home ground at the G I suspect it's the latter.

Edited by Hannabal

I was unable to get to the game and so only got to watch it for the 1st time on video late last night. From what I saw, Jack was mighty impressive. He was VERY clean with his hands and MORE THAN earnt his spot for next week. Were Leigh Matthews' comments on Jack made before or after the game? Because if he made those comments after the game I watched then he has lost ANY credibility. He must have sipped too much cough mixture or something. Blind Freddie could identify what a great talent this underweight 6 foot 5inch one-grab 4th gamer who had oodles of time and poise is. Incredible. And even some on here who said he wasn't much chop. Seriously?

They were made after the game.

Matthews is just trying to get himself noticed. He was shouting down Watts last year and is just perpetuating the myth this year.

The bloke is off the mark here and will (im sure) be reminded of it down the track, only to try and twist it into something else.

Its just like he played footy, a great player but prone to throwing cheap shots.