Davey & the 'Toe Poke'

Guest Redleg_24

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

I don't want to be a negative nancy at all, and this thread is certainly not an opening to Tip on a player but, has anyone else noticed this habit Aaron has developed to try to poke kick a 4 metre pass to blokes? Its a strange toe poke kicking action and he holds the ball all the wy until it gets to his boot. Most unconventional and I have to say, ineffectual.

I notice him turn it over trying to 'flirt with his skills' at least 4-5 times yesterday. He used to be suck a silky mover of the ball, but I don't know if he has got ahead of himself this year but something has changed.

What I put it down to is, as I stated above, 'flirting with skill'. The guy knows he is good and at times he can get wayyy tooo cute with his creativity. Its simply not necessary.

I am interested in the thoughts of others. I also thought he was very quiet yesterday and last week. More so this week though. Does he need a spell deep in the forward line kicking a few to get his confidence up???

He makes good decisions and uses the ball well (the great majority of time). I think it more apt that you compliment his ability to find space through traffio and can hit a teammate in a better position to use the ball. Has great deft touch that hurts oppositions.

More strength to him and hope he continues to perform.

But is he 100% - not carrying something?

He missed those couple of pre-season games, and except against Collingwood, has seemed proppy and in/out of games.

Still brilliant when he turns it on though.

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

No doubt. And as I said at the opening to this thread, this is not me tipping on him. I think he is carrying something and he is copping a lot of 'rest breaks' during games.

It's amazing how you mention some guys names in a constructively critical way and many get stroppy. It was general comment about something I have noticed. He muffed a few of those short passes yesterda, and yes he also chased guys down, weaved his way through traffic and was silky at time.

Geez if it was Miller or Bruce they would have copped it by now

But is he 100% - not carrying something?

He missed those couple of pre-season games, and except against Collingwood, has seemed proppy and in/out of games.

I thought he showed some really good pace on Sunday, more than he's shown for a while. He may have an injury but it doesn't appear to have affected his straight line speed, I've always thought that he was a pretty much straight ahead player, when he was at full pace that is. When he slows down he has great maneuverability and evasive skills, he seems to have improved that and doesn't get caught on the right side anymore.

I'm surprised his thighs aren't covered in blisters due to the amount of rubbing they receive.

Looks to be going at 3/4 pace to me, was very good last week, good this week, but I reckon he's feeling something and doesn't wanna blow a hammy.

His skills are sublime, let him try what he wants.

It would be better if he could hit a target further up the ground but if its not there then I am more than happy with his short game. Better to hit the short option 100% than the longer option 60%. He is like Yze the way he(and everybody watching) knows he is great kick so would rather kick it 5 yards than handball.

It's amazing how you mention some guys names in a constructively critical way and many get stroppy. It was general comment about something I have noticed.

I haven't read anything that is considered "stroppy" in reply to your OP.

Maybe that's true, his little pokey ones aren't coming off. I think the point there is that perhaps he doesn't trust his hands. There's certainly no way his hands are as effective as his feet.

For mine, I say let Aaron Davey be Aaron Davey. The guy is amazing, even with these little quirks.

I don't care how a magician pulls a rabbit out of a hat, as long as he does it!

Same goes for flash, whatever allows him to create some on field magic is cool by me. He could get on all fours and push the ball along the ground with his forehead and I still would not question it!

He is still a very effective player and he has completely changed his game. I believe he manages his hamstrings by rarely turning on the after burners these days.

For me, Davey's delivery (kicking) was generally very poor against the tiges. Which I thought odd. But a couple of very good tackles would seem to say he is physically OK.

Not sure what's happening here. Perhaps just a very off day.

His radar was a bit off on Sunday but I think he can be forgiven given his performances against Adelaide and in particular Collingwood were excellent.

His role is to break lines, see openings others don't and more often than not pinpoint passes to team mates with surgical precision.

Not many players in the AFL, let alone at Melbourne, can do that and for the most part he does it very well.

I think he's a magic player.