THE KADATJI MAN

Demonland

THE KADATJI MAN by Whispering Jack 

The celebration of the long journey of our indigenous players from all parts of  the country to the hallowed turf of the MCG and onto the AFL stage continued on Monday night with a function in the Long Room.

The evening, organised by the Women of Melbourne, was more than simply a night for the club's indigenous warriors Aaron Davey, Jamie Bennell, Neville Jetta, Liam Jurrah, Austin Wonaeamirri, their families and friends - it was an event for all Demons and with the team's first victory of the year having come a little over 24 hours earlier, the atmosphere and the timing were perfect. Even the choice of an Adelaide fan, Angela Pippos, as hostess for the night was, shall we say, fitting.

Age journalist Martin Flanagan was the key speaker. He spoke of his first visit to Yuendumu in the central Australian desert for a football carnival in 1987, a couple of years before Demon forward Liam Jungarrayi Jurrah was born a son of the Warlpiri tribe in the community located 300 kilometres north-west of Alice Springs.

That grand final of 1987 was abandoned during the first quarter after panic went through the crowd who heard that the kadatji man was among them. Flanagan explained that no one knows who the kadatji man is, only that he brings the possibility of death to those who have transgressed what Aboriginal people call the Law.

Twenty years later, Flanagan was also on hand when a Collingwood coterie group, the Industrial Magpies, brought three Warlpiri men to Melbourne. Jurrah was one of them. Flanagan spoke of how the visitors were showed the scarred tree at the MCG which land has always been held sacred by its traditional owners and of the wonderment of the visitors at the big buildings in town, sights never seen in the red desert.

Lynette Jetta, mother of Neville, followed Flanagan and turned her poetry of last year into beautiful song. Later, Chris Connolly promised that one day soon all five of our indigenous treasures would play together in the same team and then proceeded to interview Davey and Jurrah as only he can. The two Demons will be the faces of a new government programme to eliminate trachoma among indigenous children. Trachoma is a terrible blight that causes blindness and its effects on indigenous communities in the outback was dramatically described by noted ophthalmologist Dr. Hugh Taylor (an avid Demon fan, of course).

The club's support of this programme and the involvement of Aaron and Liam is a significant part of our long journey and you can't help but feel pride to be involved even in a small way with the progress of this aspect of the club's development as a responsible organisation within general community. This, even more so given that the evening's event was taking place against a backdrop of crisis for the other AFL clubs that share with us the sacred turf on which the MCG stands.

I have always regarded our guest clubs at the G as usurpers - the old enemy Collingwood, our recent tormentor Hawthorn and Richmond which happens to be Melbourne's opponent in its next game. As this night unfolds it becomes clear that all three of them are beset by deep seated issues just at a stage when we are starting to emerge from our troubled times. As I drive away from the G and hear the day's news on the radio I can't help but wonder whether the kadatji man is paying them all a visit tonight.

Magpie coach Michael Malthouse is feeling the pressure of the issue of the succession of coach in waiting Nathan Buckley. His credibility is in tatters, forced to apologise for his abuse of Stephen Milne after initially denying any verbal contact with the Saints' serial pest in a heated exchange during a break in Friday night's game at Etihad Stadium. As if that isn't enough, Mick has compounded his sin by fibbing about not being a liar. The wheels aren't exactly falling off at the Westpac Centre but the pressure's on the Collingwood coach. Watch this space.

For the Hawks, who humiliated us at the opening of the season but lost their next two games, their injury woes deepen. Shannon Gibson, recruited from North to plug a deep hole in the ailing defence, has ripped his hamstring. Buddy Franklin's appeal against suspension has just been dismissed by the Tribunal and he will miss this week against the Magpies in a major blow to the hopes of his team.

Meanwhile, over at Punt Road, things are going from bad to much worse as the winless Tigers suspend four players who had a night on the turps and some fisticuffs at a plush Sydney hotel after the team was thrashed by the Swans. This is not what the board, the coach and supporters of a developing young team want at such an early stage of the season, particularly on the eve of a game against a team perceived to be a fellow "cellar dweller.

Full credit to Richmond for taking a strong stand against troublemakers and miscreants within the club. It's sure to benefit the club in the long run but, at present, the contrast between the two clubs both on and off the field could not be more stark. For the time being they are labouring under a curse from which we have just been freed.

THE GAME Richmond v Melbourne at MCG - Sunday 18 April 2010 at 1.10pm

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Richmond 99 wins Melbourne 76 wins 2 draws

At the MCG Richmond 65 wins Melbourne 57 wins 1 draw

Since 2000 Richmond 10 wins Melbourne 6 wins

The Coaches Hardwick 0 wins Bailey 0 wins

MEDIA

TV Fox Sports 1 (live) 12.30 pm

Radio ABC774 SEN

THE BETTING Melbourne to win $1.36 Richmond $3.15 to win

LAST TIME THEY MET Richmond 12.14.86 d Melbourne 12.10.82 in Round 18, 2010 at the MCG

This game became notorious for some interesting chess-like moves of players as well as what is euphemistically described in some parts as "list management" by the Demons' brain trust. The result was a closely-fought contest and what would have become either a famous or an infamous victory for Melbourne depending on your viewpoint (if you get my drift). Jordan McMahon, who earlier had missed two easy shots at goal, resolved the issue with a goal from fifty metres after the siren. There are some who will tell you that the mark awarded to McMahon that led to his match winning goal was also taken after the siren. As I remarked at the time, "shit happens."

THE TEAMS

RICHMOND

Backs Shane Edwards Alex Rance Matthew Dea

Half backs Mitchell Farmer Kelvin Moore Matt White

Centreline Dustin Martin Brett Deledio Trent Cotchin

Half forwards Troy Taylor Jack Riewoldt Mitch Morton

Forwards Ben Nason Jayden Post Richard Tambling

Followers Troy Simmonds Daniel Jackson Shane Tuck

Interchange David Astbury Andrew Collins Tom Hislop Tyrone Vickery

Emergencies Jake King Robin Nahas Graham Polak

In  David Astbury Andrew Collins Matthew Dea Mitchell Farmer Tom Hislop Troy Taylor

Out Daniel Connors (club suspension) Ben Cousins (club suspension) Luke McGuane (club suspension) Chris Newman (leg) Dean Polo (club suspension) Relton Roberts

New David Astbury (North Ballarat) Matthew Dea (North Ballarat) Troy Taylor (South Alice Springs/NT Thunder)

MELBOURNE

Backs James McDonald Matthew Warnock James Frawley

Half backs Cameron Bruce Colin Garland Lynden Dunn

Centreline Jack Trengove Aaron Davey Clint Bartram

Half forwards Brad Green Ricky Petterd Nathan Jones

Forwards Colin Sylvia Matthew Bate, Rohan Bail

Followers Mark Jamar Jack Grimes Brent Moloney

Interchange Jamie Bennell Joel MacDonald Jordie McKenzie Tom Scully

Emergencies Kyle Cheney Michael Newton Jake Spencer

In Colin Sylvia

Out Michael Newton

THE CLASH

There's a feeling of absolute euphoria among some Demon supporters about the fact that their team won a game of football last weekend. It's true that their form has improved, that we have seen some encouraging performances from the many youngsters in the side and that there appears to be a hunger in the belly of the playing group not evident in probably four years. The past two weeks have produced fewer turnovers, less of the poor decision making and more positive football than at any time since coach Dean Bailey took the reins at the club.

However, it's also true that the Demons laboured for a whole half to kick a measly goal and that it took until three minutes before the final siren before they could nail home their advantage against the crippled Crows whose rotations were limited and whose energy levels were therefore depleted well before the game's end.

You have to expect inconsistency in young, emerging sporting teams. This applies to both the Demons and the Tigers in this week's clash at the MCG. But Richmond is clearly at a stage which Melbourne has now surpassed.

The club has a defence that is rapidly developing with the likes of James Frawley, Matthew Warnock, Colin Garland, Jack Grimes and the surprise packet from Brisbane Joel Macdonald that is fast reaching an "A" standard among defences within the competition. The midfield is also gathering strength, particularly with the advent of impressive youngsters in Tom Scully, Jack Trengove and Jordie McKenzie and the massive strides taken by Mark Jamar whose standing as a quality ruckman continues to rise on a weekly basis. Team leaders James McDonald, Cameron Bruce, Aaron Davey and Brad Green are all producing around the ground and even the forward line, widely acknowledged as the club's weakest link, is showing some signs of life. The return of Colin Sylvia will be helpful and I sense that Michael Newton is working hard to fulfil the promise that's taking a long time to come to fruition. Perhaps his breakout game is just around the corner?

The Tigers, on the other hand, have struggled and they are at least fortunate that they don't have many injury problems in view of this week's suspensions although, let's face it, only one of that quartet (Luke McGuane) has shown any real form this year. Among those under an injury cloud are their better players like Chris Newman and Will Thursfield who kept Barry Hall under wraps a fortnight ago.  

Brett Delidio, Trent Cotchin and Dustin Martin are all quality youngsters but the Tigers simply have too many deficiencies in their line up to match it with the Demons who will make it two in a row and possibly be in the "eight" by Sunday night!

Melbourne by 31 points.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many people on this site who will no doubt be worried about how the team will cope with the expectation that we will win this week. Many have pointed out that we could easily believe the hype and not "come to play". And that a loss would be disastrous. All very possible, but...

I actually think that there is less chance of that occurring now rather than later in the team's development. At the moment the boys have only just started to get a taste of what it's like to win a game of football. They are probably still intoxicated with the feeling. They are probably still hungry for more. It is when we start to win on a more regular basis that I will worry about the hunger not being there.

Melbourne

B: James McDonald, Matthew Warnock, James Frawley

HB: Cameron Bruce, Colin Garland, Lynden Dunn

C: Jack Trengove, Aaron Davey, Clint Bartram

HF: Brad Green, Ricky Petterd, Nathan Jones

F: Colin Sylvia, Matthew Bate, Rohan Bail

Foll: Mark Jamar, Jack Grimes, Brent Moloney

I/C (from): Joel MacDonald, Jordie McKenzie, Tom Scully, Jamie Bennell. Michael Newton, Kyle Cheney, Jake Spencer

In: Sylvia, Cheney, Spencer

Out: -

So one of MacDonald, McKenzie, Scully, Bennell or Newton will go for Sylvia. I can't imagine Bennell would go after his performance last week. McKenzie's been playing well too. So it'll be Scully or MacDonald I'd think. Edit: Or Newton, of course. Most likely to go, actually.

Dunn lucky again.

Edited by titan_uranus

Now that the squad is up, I cant wait for the first poster to say "I hope they drop Bartram" or "I hope they drop Bruce" despite the fact they're both named in the starting 18.

FWIW I'd pick Jordie Mc, Joel Mc, Bennell and Juice from those 7 interchange players. Scully to have a dominant hitout for Casey to get some confidence.

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

Melbourne

B: James McDonald, Matthew Warnock, James Frawley

HB: Cameron Bruce, Colin Garland, Lynden Dunn

C: Jack Trengove, Aaron Davey, Clint Bartram

HF: Brad Green, Ricky Petterd, Nathan Jones

F: Colin Sylvia, Matthew Bate, Rohan Bail

Foll: Mark Jamar, Jack Grimes, Brent Moloney

I/C (from): Joel MacDonald, Jordie McKenzie, Tom Scully, Jamie Bennell. Michael Newton, Kyle Cheney, Jake Spencer

In: Sylvia, Cheney, Spencer

Out: -

So one of MacDonald, McKenzie, Scully, Bennell or Newton will go for Sylvia. I can't imagine Bennell would go after his performance last week. McKenzie's been playing well too. So it'll be Scully or MacDonald I'd think.

Dunn lucky again.

Tough calls ahead. Joel Mac would be stiff!! McKenzie too!!! Scull has had a lean couple but needs games. Newton for Sylvia - maybe? But then again don't we want to stretch their backline?

And this is the Richmond team, who have possibly broken the record for the most ever ins (9!)

RICHMOND v MELBOURNE

Richmond

B: Shane Edwards, Alex Rance, Matthew Dea

HB: Mitch Farmer, Kelvin Moore, Matt White

C: Dustin Martin, Brett Deledio, Trent Cotchin

HF: Troy Taylor, Jack Riewoldt, Mitch Morton

F: Ben Nason, Jayden Post, Richard Tambling

Foll: Troy Simmonds, Daniel Jackson, Shane Tuck

I/C (from): Tyrone Vickery, David Astbury, Jake King, Graham Polak, Robin Nahas, Tom Hislop, Andrew Collins

In: Polak, Hislop, Nahas, Collins, Farmer, King, Taylor, Astbury, Dea

Out: Chris Newman (leg), Luke McGuane (club susp), Dean Polo (club susp), Relton Roberts, Daniel Connors (club susp), Ben Cousins (club susp)

I think it'll be between Newton, MacDonald and Scully that get dropped.

My guess is Newton.

The football dept aren't interested anymore in giving him 'chances'.

He plugged a hole nicely, but now he can have another crack at the VFL.

Hate to say it, but looks like Scully will miss to me.

I think he is close to a breakout game and have mixed feelings if this is the decision. Nevertheless has had two disappointing weeks and needs to work on disposal under pressure. We know he has good disposal.... just needs to relax. A week or two at Casey to regain confinence in his kicking...... and really get him hot under the collar may be the perfect tonic.

Suppose they might treat Scully like everyone else and punish him for the recent poor disposal.

I'd be unbelievably happy if they did that. As I've said all week, Scully was our worst-performed player this week and was also poor last week. He's young, so it's no sleight on him at all, but if they drop Scully to the VFL and bring in Sylvia, I'd be stoked. I'd love to have been able to see a backline with all of Rivers, Garland, Warnock, Macdonald and Frawley in it to see how all our talls would work together, but I guess I'll have to wait.

IN: Sylvia

OUT: Scully

BENCH: Macdonald, McKenzie, Bennell, Newton.

Edited by Chook

The only two logical outs for Sylvia appear to be Newton, because he isn't very good, or Scully because he needs a break.

It would be a shame to drop Scully, when he is a part of our future and Newton isn't, but if you drop Newton who helps Jamar?