Joel MacDonald Vs C.Johnson

Grimes is Great

J.Mac or CJ

For me CJ, better skills and gets more of the footy.

Not convinced on J.Mac would not get a game at a top club, skills are not great and shouldn't be in contention for a game with Melb when or if we ever are challenging for the top four.

Yes we got him for nothing but i would of rathered someone else.

J.Mac or CJ

For me CJ, better skills and gets more of the footy.

CJ averages 14.5 touches a game over his career.

Macdonald averages 16.4.

CJ's disposal is also massively overrated.

I am told (by the management of Carlton) that CJ is on his last legs.

He has recurring back related hammy problem.

Regardless he will need to string a number of good games together this season to survive this years cull. Thus Joel Mac is better.

I think its way too early to talk down Joel Mac after one game where our midfield was out played to such a level that the backs where under constant massive pressure.

Put it this way Joels game on Saturday was still better than the best came CJ played for our club.

Ridiculas to judge any player after just one game.

The only thing we have left....I was rather disappointed with the angle the Water Person situated at the Ponsford end was carrying the bottle, he could have accidentally spilt it on the players, I hope when they review the tape, they are instructed the best way to carry it............double sigh

CJ averages 14.5 touches a game over his career.

Macdonald averages 16.4.

CJ's disposal is also massively overrated.

They are both spuds.

45, average touches a game? This is the most useless stat in all of footy.

When will somebody realise this..

CJ was a silkier mover and had better skills but still wasn't an excellent kick or mark.

Macdonald was de-listed. We definitely don't need him in our backline.

As much as I hoped that CJ would become even half as good as his old man the reality is that he isn't. While he can kick very accurately at training once he crosses the white line he's like a deer staring at the oncoming headlights of a freigth train.

CJ just isn't up to AFL level.

Interesting that this was 'Grimes is great's' first post.

I am told (by the management of Carlton) that CJ is on his last legs.

He has recurring back related hammy problem.

Regardless he will need to string a number of good games together this season to survive this years cull. Thus Joel Mac is better.

I think its way too early to talk down Joel Mac after one game where our midfield was out played to such a level that the backs where under constant massive pressure.

Put it this way Joels game on Saturday was still better than the best came CJ played for our club.

Ridiculas to judge any player after just one game.

Have heard the same thing GNF. CJ has done nothing at Carlton to cause me to lose any sleep whatsoever over him walking out the door on us.

Macdonald was de-listed. We definitely don't need him in our backline.

What kind of argument is that?

Just because a player is delisted at one club does not automatically make him a dud.

E.g. Tom Harley, delisted by Port after one game in two years, becomes Premiership Captain.

IMO, I doubt we can really judge Joel Mac against CJ objectively at all yet. How many people on here can honestly say they paid attention to his games at Brisbane?

At this stage, I would put Joel Mac slightly ahead of CJ for his endeavour. He is a classic defender, willing to put his head over the ball and get between his man and the ball. CJ was an outside player and largely a receiver less willing to get his own ball.

It seems to me that Joel Mac is a poor man's Cameron Bruce, albeit a bit stockier but without as much run.

If we improve like I expect, I think he'll be lucky to still be on the list in 2012.

That's not necessarily an indictment on the player.

It seems to me that Joel Mac is a poor man's Cameron Bruce, albeit a bit stockier but without as much run.

If we improve like I expect, I think he'll be lucky to still be on the list in 2012.

"A poor man's Cameron Bruce" ... sounds like an indictment to me.

"A poor man's Cameron Bruce" ... sounds like an indictment to me.

It is in my eyes, but better than to be a poor man's Jake King or Matthew Newton.

Some people rate Bruce quite highly.

In any case, it shouldn't take a great amount of thought to understand my post.

Joel Mac should be really happy, a poor man's Cam Bruce so therefore he should play at least 100 games and two or three top three finishes in the the B&F.......to judge a player on one game.......

How to please a Melbourne supporter...

Play your first game, kick 10 goals, 15 goal assists, have 35 possessions, lay 15 tackles, and look extemely good in the post match interview.....if you don't do that you are a dud.......

What kind of argument is that?

Just because a player is delisted at one club does not automatically make him a dud.

E.g. Tom Harley, delisted by Port after one game in two years, becomes Premiership Captain.

IMO, I doubt we can really judge Joel Mac against CJ objectively at all yet. How many people on here can honestly say they paid attention to his games at Brisbane?

At this stage, I would put Joel Mac slightly ahead of CJ for his endeavour. He is a classic defender, willing to put his head over the ball and get between his man and the ball. CJ was an outside player and largely a receiver less willing to get his own ball.

How old was Harley when he was delisted?

I'm not expressing that proof of him being no good is because he was delisted.

But surely that says something about a 27 year old experienced player no?

I'm just confused as to what we see in him, apart from experience. If experience is all

it is then I'm not convinced we have made the correct decision.

The last thing we need is another senior player who is not up to AFL standard.

Joel Mac should be really happy, a poor man's Cam Bruce so therefore he should play at least 100 games and two or three top three finishes in the the B&F.......to judge a player on one game.......

How to please a Melbourne supporter...

Play your first game, kick 10 goals, 15 goal assists, have 35 possessions, lay 15 tackles, and look extemely good in the post match interview.....if you don't do that you are a dud.......

Did you ever see him play for Brisbane?

Do some homework before assuming what other's expectations are.

How old was Harley when he was delisted?

I'm not expressing that proof of him being no good is because he was delisted.

But surely that says something about a 27 year old experienced player no?

I'm just confused as to what we see in him, apart from experience. If experience is all

it is then I'm not convinced we have made the correct decision.

The last thing we need is another senior player who is not up to AFL standard.

"Not up to AFL standard", I know you are not to swear on this board..but for ######## sake he's played 80 games, was he just lucky to get them.....

How many people on here can honestly say they paid attention to his games at Brisbane?

Actually I did as he was in my dream team. I enjoyed watching him at Brisbane and I was pretty happy when we drafted him. One, its round one FFS no one in our team had a good game. Two, he has decent foot skills but playing in our teanm where there is no one to kick to will not help him at the moment. For what it's worth I reckon he will be a good player for us. Apart from Grimes, who do we have that can create run from the backline consistently. I know Strauss is there but its only his first game and he was too scared to do it. MacDonald will be a good find once we get the ball in his hands and he has someone to kick to.

Actually I did as he was in my dream team. I enjoyed watching him at Brisbane and I was pretty happy when we drafted him. One, its round one FFS no one in our team had a good game. Two, he has decent foot skills but playing in our teanm where there is no one to kick to will not help him at the moment. For what it's worth I reckon he will be a good player for us. Apart from Grimes, who do we have that can create run from the backline consistently. I know Strauss is there but its only his first game and he was too scared to do it. MacDonald will be a good find once we get the ball in his hands and he has someone to kick to.

Yes I also saw him play for Bribane, he was an ever present upto the finals last season, I have him in my Dream Team as well, we have had a very poor loss, and the knives are out......

For what it is worth, the players who I thought let us down on Saturday were

Davey, Moloney, Rivers, Miller (leadership group no less) and Dunn, I excuse Bruce and Bate who needed the run, the defence because it was under siege, Junior and Greeny who never stopped trying, Petterd and the other youngsters,

Joel Mc did the best he could, it must have got to him when along with the rest of the defence they battled to get it clear and then watched in come flying back in.

I also fail to understand what is wrong with the topic. Can those with an issue please explain their grievance?

It's an insult to Joel MacDonald, even with his standing in my eyes as a poor man's Cameron Bruce.

Chris Johnson will be out of the L as soon as his contract expires

Sure JoelM didn't have a great game but he looked pretty good in the pre-season and that's why he was in basically everyone's starting 18 that they were posting

If you are judging people on last Saturday there is a good 15 blokes you might as well delist now

Sure JoelM didn't have a great game but he looked pretty good in the pre-season and that's why he was in basically everyone's starting 18 that they were posting

If you are judging people on last Saturday there is a good 15 blokes you might as well delist now

C&B, well said succinct as usual, unfortunately until we are winning on a regular basis, Mondays and Tuesdays on the board will be like this, I will defend Melbourne players till the cows come home, but Saturday well was Saturday but I won't bag and demand delisting.....some players just did not perform to the standard they are capable of.....hopefully there will not be a repeat

Enough "Troll" discussion.

Keep to the topic, thanks.

Fan

Actually, that discussion was exactly about the topic.

Regardless, Joel MacDonald has been unfairly treated in this thread, he's a better player than some of the posts have suggested.