What do I say to this?

Picture this...

At the footy with my 6 year old daughter. All summer she has been keen to go to the footy, really picked up a passion for it (no idea from where, it's not from me.) She buys a flag at the ground so she can wave it around as she has seen other supporters do when a goal has been kicked. She has no idea about the game, just already loves the Dees and laughs at her friends for barracking for other teams!

Claps them out onto the ground, cheers for them as they run out etc etc. Cut to 50 minutes later, we haven't kicked a goal, she hasn't been able to wave the flag. She is now sitting in her chair, hardly watching, looking like she is about to cry, I ask her what is wrong and she says "why don't the demons score? why are they so bad?" 50 minutes into the season and they have already wrecked her!

Three years now she has been going to the games, on and off, hasn't seen a victory yet. You can't explain to her that the team is young, they are rebuilding and all that other rubbish. She just wants to see one win, but after seeing what we dished out on saturday, I can't see that happening this year!

Gee that's heartbreaking.

You can tell her we WILL win games this year, and that it'll be worth it when we do.

Your job, however, is to run interference. Point her in the direction of small victories. Feign excitement at how spectacular Scully and Trengove are. Make her dwell on them, because odds-on I reckon when she's 12-ish (and still impressionable) they're going to make her walk pretty tall in the schoolyard.

Guest hangon007

Mate I with you 100% I'm in exactly the same boat.

It honestly breaks my heart to have to face them after the game and say .. "next week".

I'm really at a loss to know what more we can do - except hang in there and hopefully our faith passion and persistence will pay off.

Edited by hangon007

Well, my heart just broke too.

My only advice would be to make sure it remains fun, even if the team's losing. Do something else fun (get an icecream for example) before or after the game to make the whole day fun, not just the football. During the periods where the side is playing like complete arse (50 minutes of no goals would be one of those....) distract her with conversation, explain to her some of the subtleties of the game (if she's interested), just do _anything_ to keep her mind off the fact that the results of the footy are not enjoyable. As dirty and offensive as it sounds, you could even help her recognise the interesting aspects of what the _other_ team is doing (but maintain 'support' for the right team).

Fun is the most important thing for little kids. Did I mention to keep it fun?

Picture this...

At the footy with my 6 year old daughter. All summer she has been keen to go to the footy, really picked up a passion for it (no idea from where, it's not from me.) She buys a flag at the ground so she can wave it around as she has seen other supporters do when a goal has been kicked. She has no idea about the game, just already loves the Dees and laughs at her friends for barracking for other teams!

Claps them out onto the ground, cheers for them as they run out etc etc. Cut to 50 minutes later, we haven't kicked a goal, she hasn't been able to wave the flag. She is now sitting in her chair, hardly watching, looking like she is about to cry, I ask her what is wrong and she says "why don't the demons score? why are they so bad?" 50 minutes into the season and they have already wrecked her!

Three years now she has been going to the games, on and off, hasn't seen a victory yet. You can't explain to her that the team is young, they are rebuilding and all that other rubbish. She just wants to see one win, but after seeing what we dished out on saturday, I can't see that happening this year!

hard as this might sound...send a copy (above) to the club...maybe it will hit a nerve and feel some sympathy for our young supporters.

A little something, like a signed poster would do some much for your daughter, maybe you could quietly suggest this...just for her moral and future support !!!

Tell you daughter, we will win soon. !!.. and keep her passion for the best club in the world. :wub:

My mum dragged me off to the footy with her friends from 1973 until 1984. I love the Demons, always will. That is unwavering. I have never almost changed clubs, in fact it has never crossed my mind. I keep rolling up in the hope that one day things will be different. There's a lot of passion and talent at the club at the moment, similar to when Northey was coach.. I have little doubt that this group will succeed. Will they win a Premiership? You just have to believe yes to that. Folks just suck it up and keep having Demon babies!

Edited by Roost It

Tough Gig

If its any consolation, the apparent demons supporting couple I sat next too on Saturday were out for blood from the opening bounce and I dare say enjoyed their experience even less.

"Ohh no... Not Frawley!!!"

"Just kick it!!!"

"No.. dont just kick it"

"That was definately a free.."

"How embarrassing for Brad Green... Fancy faking being knocked out!!!"

Best thing Bate did all day was kick the ball out on the full in the third quarter, which was the last straw for them prompting them to leave.

Just be thankful your daughter didn't have to sit infront of these ignorant supporters - They hated life, and would have scarred her for life.

I started going to the footy in the early 1970's as a young kid. From about the age of 11 I'd sit by myself. I'm kind of unusual in that I prefer watching football by myself. I'm also not the sharpest tool in the shed, because week after week, year after year, I'd want to go and watch my team play just hoping we'd eke out that unlikely win. It was a terrible decade to be a Melb supporter. I was a pretty stony faced kid in those days. Robbie Flower was probably all that kept me going.

I have two boys aged 9 and 10 and they're smarter than me. They have no interest in football, or the Dees. Sure, they say they barrack for them, but I can't even get them to go to the games anymore. They sort of had an interest for a while, but loss after loss has taken its toll. But as 'Age' points out, it's probably not even just the losing, it's the lack of goals, or virtually anything for a young kid to get excited about.

They no longer even ask me about the result when I get home, or how we'll go this year. They don't care and I can't be bothered with the spin.

But I'm really not that hard to please. I don't demand wins. I know where we're at and I am patient. I just wanted them to have a crack. And the only ones that did were Green, McKenzie, probably the captain, and poor old Scully and Trengove.

I feel like I've let this insipid football club suck my soul.

Edited by Oliver Hill

Well said Curry & Beer.

Fair bloody dinkum, you'd think you lot had just witnessed ethnic cleansing. Look, it is a bit sad that the youngster mentioned at the start of this topic has never seen us win. And the first half on Saturday was bloody gutless, pathetic, soulless, whatever you want to call it. But you know what, our's is the greatest footy club in the world and I wouldn't go for any of those other d!ckheads for all the tea in China. When you support a club, you support them for life. You stick with them, through thick and thin. You NEVER NEVER NEVER give in. Melbourne supporters have done this in the past and we'll do it now. We'll come good one day, and when we do, we'll all be able to say we were there at half time versus freo in 08, Adelaide 09 when we didn't kick a goal till the third quarter and hawthorn 10.

I can't wait till we play the filth next week because it will be another opportunity to see the greatest club in the world.

Come on Dees, UNLEASH HELL!!!

First i would just like to say hi to everybody ;) I am a member and have been now for 12 years i also had a kids membership many years ago now. Second i go for the DEMONS because of my late father and watch the great Robert Flower tear up the MCG,

I cried many a tears as a young girl like your little one did on the weekend. When she gets older she will not only hold a soft spot for our club, she will also look back at the time she spent with her dad.

Well said Curry & Beer.

It wasn't well said, it was up there with the most pathetic posts I've read in a while. And all that waffle in your post about sticking true to the club and whatnot has nothing to do with maintaining the support of a six year old. Kids this young do not owe the footy club this level of loyalty. They just want to enjoy a day out with their parents, and when the team is unable to offer anything at all to cheer about, they're unable to offer anything that children will be interested in. It then becomes up to the parents to keep it interesting.

Obviously neither of you have young kids.

(Note to pitmaster: this is me getting 'upset' about something :))

Poor thing. I'm with you Nash, it needs to be enjoyable in other ways...somehow!

Edit: Welcome and well said 13thflag

Edited by 45HG16

First i would just like to say hi to everybody ;) I am a member and have been now for 12 years i also had a kids membership many years ago now. Second i go for the DEMONS because of my late father and watch the great Robert Flower tear up the MCG,

I cried many a tears as a young girl like your little one did on the weekend. When she gets older she will not only hold a soft spot for our club, she will also look back at the time she spent with her dad.

Welcome. I think you're right. I went alot to the footy with my dad when I was a kid and whilst Melbourne didn't have many wins prior to their resurgence in '87, I look back on it as fun attending the footy.

Age, if it's any consolation I have two daughters that are now 8 and 5. (I also have a 1 year old boy who has a bit of CHF size about him already... :lol: ), when we attend they love getting their face painted, love their membership packs and stickers, etc. I tell them that our team is getting alot of young kids that are just coming into the team and need to get a bit stronger.

My eldest daughter just asked me just last weekend, "Dad, will the demons be coming good soon ?" She understands that the Demons haven't been good of late. The youngest daughter loves the colours, flags and just going really. Loves singing the song at the start and is beside herself in excitement.

Nasher is right in making the day fun, win, lose or draw. A treat or two definitely helps and a kick of the footy after the game on the way home.

Picture this...

I was in the same position on saturday, it was my son's first attendence at an AFL match. It's bloody hard getting the kids to support the Dee's, when there F****n [censored]!!!!!!!!

Edited by tatu

Exactly, well put. There will be up times and down times, and the down times only make it that much more exciting in the end. I will never forget being a kid in 87. Being at the Western Oval in the last round and not believing we'd finally made the finals, the euphoria of the first 2 finals with the chant of "Robbie" giving us goosebumps, and then the tears and the disappointment of the prelim (and man, did I shed some tears). It's all part of the football experience.

The Northey days were also great because absolutely anyone was let in the rooms after the game. I fondly remember wandering around the players freely getting autographs. Probably ended up getting every players signature 50 times, but it was always a thrill

It wasn't well said, it was up there with the most pathetic posts I've read in a while. And all that waffle in your post about sticking true to the club and whatnot has nothing to do with maintaining the support of a six year old. Kids this young do not owe the footy club this level of loyalty. They just want to enjoy a day out with their parents, and when the team is unable to offer anything at all to cheer about, they're unable to offer anything that children will be interested in. It then becomes up to the parents to keep it interesting.

Obviously neither of you have young kids.

(Note to pitmaster: this is me getting 'upset' about something :))

I was referring to the general hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth evident on this website as if we're the first team to ever get belted than saying the kids should 'harden up'.

Nothing like a smug, baseless observation of another poster's personal life to make yourself sound more intelligent is there? :)