Outstanding Rohan Connolly article

Mono

That would be an outstanding way to deal with what happened on Saturday IMO.

I would love to see Bailey and co. drop some underperforming senior players, who are not helping our cause anyways.

Bruce and Miller will be top of the list, but I wouldn't be upset if Davey, Bate and Moloney were dropped either. We can't keep accepting the shocking performances that our senior leaders put in every week. It is completely unacceptable, and worse of all, it is teaching the younger players that there are no consequences for not playing as hard as you can.

If ever you were going to make a statement, now is the time.

It's not possible that the only players leading from the front on Saturday were those with less than 50 games under their belt... in most cases, less than 10!

Couldn't agree more Jaded.

The softly, softly approach is not going to work.

I think we've been extremely lucky over the past two seasons to avoid media pressure. Bring it on I say, the hasty signing of Bailey and those responsible, need to be examined.

Pressure created something special in the Adelaide practice match, lets see more of it.

You ought to try dropping the 'I'm holier than thou' approach to posting KS.

It seems to me that you're more concerned with pointing out why your opinion is more correct than others'.

So you believe we're OK, or at least not in as bad shape as others. Fine. But stop telling people that you, and those like you, are correct, and that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong, pessimistic, or pandering to the masses.

Connolly's article, if nothing else, at least directs some pressure at the club. Pressure that hadn't been applied previously.

I particularly like this quote:

The danger in doing so is of creating a climate so completely geared towards a still-distant future that it forgives too easily the insipid dross Demon fans were served up.

It seems to me that, both at the club, and on this site, too many people have it ingrained in their minds that the future will be a certain success, and thus the present is of no concern. I disagree.

I can't help it if I clearly know better than the easily influenced and blind-rage-feulled white-flag-wavers.

My support will be unwavering as will my stance.

If only all our supporters were as sharp.

Yes, the team’s performance on Saturday failed miserably to live up to our expectations. It was, indeed, a bitter disappointment. But, to imply our boys did not put in “minimum effort, intensity and professionalism” is not fair on the boys. Certainly, they did not match it with the superior Hawthorn outfit. But, I have no doubt they all put in the best they could. That wasn’t good enough. We expected better. And, I have every confidence they WILL get better. I also have every confidence that any player who deserves a good kick up the rear will receive it.

Note that one word again. If there is one area where the MFC is truly lagging behind every other club, this is it. From the football department down, we are not professional enough. This is starting to change. CS as CEO is a good start. But from what I've seen of training, practice matches and our one real match of the season, the coaching and playing group still have no clue.

As for the article, I think it pretty well hit the nail on the head. Everyone knew (or should have) that we would be beaten on the day, but the manner in which it occurred was shameful and hopefully the players have enough self-respect left to be ashamed of themselves. These people are professionals being payed a fortune to perform at what should be the highest level. The lack of skill and application is unacceptable.

lol posts like these make me laugh.

I pay my membership fees, I haven't missed a game in Melbourne in over 10 years, and I donated to Debt Demolition. I'm only 23 and with a mortgage, and yet I still dedicate my time and money to the club. If me leaving at half-time of an insipid performance is "weak", then whatever. At the end of the day, I probably dedicate more time and money to this club than you, and I have a right to walk out on a performance I've invested so much into.

Support goes beyond just being there on game day. I have done more than enough for this club to justify walking out at half-time of a performance more suited to a third-grade suburban football league.

They were a disgrace on Saturday, and I merely walked out on a bad performance.

I'll be there against Collingwood. I don't like walking out early, but if the performance is bad enough to make me angry that I didn't spend my day doing something productive, then I go without hesitation. I spend upwards of $50 at every game, and on top of my membership, that's a lot of cash pumped into the gameday considering my salary. I'm not asking for sympathy, but I get offended when I'm called a weak supporter. It's an insult, and the only people worth insulting are the players. Me walking out at half-time is as insulting as you can get, and they deserved it.

Picked the wrong target for the 'I've dedicated more time and money' defence.

Couldn't understand more the position of putting a lot of limited resources into the Club stance, but I'm not going to back away from it being weak to walk out at half-time. It's a hard time for all of us, you keep your head up and you stick it out.

FWIW, i don't ususally leave early, but on Saturday i left at half time as well.

I can stand there and take the crap that was dished up to us, but i refuse to subject my 5 year old son to it.

For those of you who don't take young children to the game, you probably don't realise how bad it is to sit there with your child and not have them even be able to watch and cheer your team kick a goal. That is the way they end up barracking for the other team.

I would love to see Bailey and co. drop some underperforming senior players, who are not helping our cause anyways.

Bruce and Miller will be top of the list, but I wouldn't be upset if Davey, Bate and Moloney were dropped either.

Let's not forget, Bruce, Davey and Bate have all had injuries and minimal or interrupted pre-seasons and game time. But this wasn't the game to be under-done, and they got found out.

Will be better next week, and Bruce and Davey are both better than that.

B

Picked the wrong target for the 'I've dedicated more time and money' defence.

Couldn't understand more the position of putting a lot of limited resources into the Club stance, but I'm not going to back away from it being weak to walk out at half-time. It's a hard time for all of us, you keep your head up and you stick it out.

I've left at half-time before, but I'd never do it again. I was annoyed at how badly we were playing, but as the day drew on, I was more annoyed at myself for not watching it all.

Outstanding article by Rohan Connolly in the Age. Neatly summarises much of the discussion on these boards since Saturday.

Read it here.

From my point of view, Saturday was 2008 revisited (including the pre-season. Remember the classroom sessions Bailey led to 'teach' the players? :wub: ). Pathetic, beyond belief.

And remember, we are paying 100% of salary cap - front-ending to allow for salary demands in a few years :o . Talk about getting ahead of yourself.

I have never been a Rohan Connolly fan but i give credit when its earnt. That article was spot on & i am glad it was written. Our 23-27 y/o players were bad, & i don't think the coach had a good day either.

Anybody who has read the Official MFC Facebook page will have seen the natives are very restless-rightly or wrongly

I expect the Footy Department to coach their asses off this week. We must show fight this Saturday.

Let's not forget, Bruce, Davey and Bate have all had injuries and minimal or interrupted pre-seasons and game time. But this wasn't the game to be under-done, and they got found out.

Will be better next week, and Bruce and Davey are both better than that.

B

If you are on the field, you are fit.

It's one story if these guys couldn't physically run the game out, but another altogether that they cruised about making little impact and stuffed up each time they managed to get the ball.

As senior players they are expected to lead regardless of how sore their bodies are. If Brad Green can get knocked out and then come back to perform, these guys have no excuse. They were deemed fit to play and while they may not be at their peak, there is no reason not to go hard at the ball and the man. Ever.

I’m with Inner Demon on this one.

Yes, the team’s performance on Saturday failed miserably to live up to our expectations. It was, indeed, a bitter disappointment. But, to imply our boys did not put in “minimum effort, intensity and professionalism” is not fair on the boys. Certainly, they did not match it with the superior Hawthorn outfit. But, I have no doubt they all put in the best they could. That wasn’t good enough. We expected better. And, I have every confidence they WILL get better. I also have every confidence that any player who deserves a good kick up the rear will receive it.

In spite of the disappointment, I refuse to join the ranks of the “sooks” who can’t stand the bad bits. Unfortunately, life (and footy included) chucks up both the good and the bad. In my close to 57 years of following the Mighty Dees, there have been a whole lot more bads than goods.

But, I have NEVER walked out on the team before the final siren. In fact, living most of my life away from Melbourne, I’ve had few opportunities to attend a live match. And some of those I have been able to get to have been very sad occasions. But, I never remotely thought about leaving early. I also have never turned off the TV before the end of a game.

I support the Might Dees through thick and thin. Always have. Always will.

So, yes, the sun rose again this morning. And, in a few days another challenge awaits our beloved Dees. In fact, it’s the old foe, Collingwood. I have every confidence the team will rise to the occasion. And, I expect us to win. (Yes, I expect the Dees to win EVERY game, no matter how bad they have been performing in the previous games. That’s just the way I am…)

Sorry about this. It’s just the ramblings of an old, sentimental fool (albeit a passionate Dees supporting old fool!)

GO DEES!!!!!

Good post ,Barrie Vagg. It doesn't worry me when ephemeral supporters throw in the towel after one game . Such fickle people will shamelessly jump back inboard when we have a surprise win! And that might not be too far off.

When our moment of triumph eventually comes,the faithful, loyal supporters will derive more joy than those who mercilessly pan our young team in adversity.

Good post ,Barrie Vagg. It doesn't worry me when ephemeral supporters throw in the towel after one game . Such fickle people will shamelessly jump back inboard when we have a surprise win! And that might not be too far off.

When our moment of triumph eventually comes,the faithful, loyal supporters will derive more joy than those who mercilessly pan our young team in adversity.

Thanks, Jumping Jack. Nice to know I'm not the lone Ranger...

Never, ever, ever leave a game before it's finished.

Inexcusable, weakest thing a supporter can ever do.

Hang your heads.

Are you kidding.....if everyone of the supporters did this....then perhaps the club might finally get the real message

"we are not happy Jan". By all means be a loyal supporter and watch like we used to do on those cold depressing days at Windy Hill in the 1970's, but I think it's time to say enough is enough and take a stand.....bravo