Top 8 in 2010

Brayshaw Self

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2010--the-final-five-20100320-qnbt.html

this article suggests the demons may finish in the top 8 if our youngsters "click"

i reckon if we win the games we should and fluke a couple here and there, it's not beyong the realms of possibility

barring FURTHER injuries to important players, I'd say it isn't a huge stretch

thoughts?

I think this is what happens when Sydneysiders write articles on footy (I'm just going to hope that the source: The Age doesn't actually mean it's an article from the Age).

I think this is what happens when Sydneysiders write articles on footy (I'm just going to hope that the source: The Age doesn't actually mean it's an article from the Age).

That statement may have had some validity a few years ago, but certainly dos not ring true anymore. Like myself, many many Sydneysiders were not always Sydneysiders (I grew up in Melbourne).

I'm all for relentless positivity... But I'm MORE for a dose of realism.

And the realistic view here is that 2010 will not be a finals year for the demons. Not to say there's not a lot of fun to be had in the meantime, but finals? No.

I'm all for relentless positivity... But I'm MORE for a dose of realism.

And the realistic view here is that 2010 will not be a finals year for the demons. Not to say there's not a lot of fun to be had in the meantime, but finals? No.

It's amazing how nearly every year there's one team that's expected to make the top 8 but misses out and one that makes it after not being fancied by anyone.

Last year Hawthorn was reigning premier and favourite along with Geelong. Who thought they would miss out on the finals?

Who thought Essendon would finish ahead of Hawthorn and sneak into the top 8?

It's amazing how nearly every year there's one team that's expected to make the top 8 but misses out and one that makes it after not being fancied by anyone.

Last year Hawthorn was reigning premier and favourite along with Geelong. Who thought they would miss out on the finals?

I did. Before the season started I told my hawthorn supporting mate they wouldn't make finals.

He laughed at me and bet me $50 they would :)

Injury-interrupted preseasons hurt a lot in this game, especially when you finished later in the year cos of finals.

Elementary my dear Watson.

I see your point E25, but the Hawks only needed a win in Round 22 to make it last year.

Leading by 5 points going into the last quarter to be rolled with only two fit players on the interchange bench. It's not like you'd have scripted that pre-season.

Edited by 45HG16

I see your point E25, but the Hawks only needed a win in Round 22 to make it last year.

Leading by 5 points going into the last quarter to be rolled with only two fit players on the interchange bench. It's not like you'd have scripted that pre-season.

Haha not at all, I was very very lucky.

But there were indicators and I reaped the benefits!

I see your point, but the comparison between us now, and Essendon in '09 doesn't hold up. They had a number of mature players with a lot of good footy in their histories, as well as a slew of ok players that are of the right age to come good. Add to that a bunch of quality youngsters that had the seniority there to allow them room to move, and it was the right recipe for some success.

I wouldn't be holding my breath for that side winning a flag. I'd still take our list over theirs. Just not for 2010.

Kind of refreshing to be honest, everywhere I've seen so far has had us ranked at 15th or 16th, which is going to be the likely result for 2010. But it's pretty cool to see somebody in the media (as deluded as they might be) rank us in the top 5. It doesn't raise my expectations for the season in the least, but I do like seeing stuff like this.

notice no one wants to put their them to the story, and mybe becuase the age is one of our sponser.

Dont see how 'the source' could be The Age.

All columnists in todays footy mag had us finishing last or 15th.

Will be another looong year me thinks.....but I cant wait.

This article was in The Age.

All I can say is, I want some of what the journo's having. He's off his brain

This article was in The Age.

All I can say is, I want some of what the journo's having. He's off his brain

Yep they are not ready, big enough,no full forward blah blah but maybe they dont know any better.

The advantage young teams have is they sometimes dont get the memo on all that stuff including that they aren't supposed to win.

There is the Jim factor as well, he is inspirational and wont be standing around saying wait until its your turn.

I can hear him saying "fook it, have a go lads"

He will be there in amongst the supporters yelling and believing.

Top 8 bottom 2? Maybe 10, 11 , 12? Why bother worrying about position this year,lets go for a ride and see where it ends.

Why bother worrying about position this year,lets go for a ride and see where it ends.

+1.

This is all I am hoping for this season, as well as a decent run with injuries.

(I'm now in the process of finding every wooden surface that I can.)

Whilst I am an eternal optimist, I am also a realist to know we will almost certainly not make the finals this year but if we can win the games that are indeed winnable ( Rich, Freo at MCG etc) and perhaps pick up one or two unexpected ones I shall be happy. I will be pleased to get more wins but as long as we are competitive and all our kids get some games into them I think we can call the year a good one.

Next year I will expect more as will most if not all Melbourne supporters/members and if we dont see a marked improvement DB might be in a spot of bother but for now I will back him and the team to rise up t he ladder and challenge for the flag in around 2013. Finals should be our aim next year.