Family Day 2010

demonglory

Hi Demonlanders out there,

I was wondering if anyone went to the Family Day today at Luna Park and if so could we get a report on how the day went.

I did see a few pics from Cameron Schwab's twitter site and the crowd looked very healthy

Looking forward to hearing all about it

Hi Demonlanders out there,

I was wondering if anyone went to the Family Day today at Luna Park and if so could we get a report on how the day went.

I did see a few pics from Cameron Schwab's twitter site and the crowd looked very healthy

Looking forward to hearing all about it

Took my little devil. Was very good. The players were all very accessible and admin were all there too. Jimmy was there playing with kids. I am not sure if the crowd would be considered a success or not, but there seemed to be a healthy crowd and it's always nice to see the next gen of kids.

Seeing the players was like watching the walking wounded. Belly, Liam J (who was excellent with the kids) etc...

There was quite a good turnout but I thought less than last year.

There were plenty of players and staff around to chat with and to sign autographs. I also spoke with Ronald Dale Barassi in the carpark but didn't see him inside. Jimmy's hair is coming back and he looked reasonably well.

I spoke with Ricky P about our forward line and he is well aware of our problems down there. He isn't happy with his own form despite kicking a few in the pre-season. I also chatted with Neville Jetta and Jamie Bernall who are both really nice blokes and who have been friends since they were 6 years old. Brad Miller was fantastic with the kids and I saw hin rustle up half a dozen or so and go on the pirate ship with them. I also chatted with a few other players.

One of the coaching staff told me that the club is well aware of issues such as turnovers, insufficient pressure being applied to oppositions and insufficient movement by our players when we have the ball. They are working hard to overcome these and other problems.

To be honest, I thought the mood among the playing group was a bit low with none of the players I spoke with sounding particularly enthusiastic about the season ahead. Also, Jimmy's and Bailey's speeches were low key and were about continuing development of the group, taking small steps, opportunities for our youngsters due to the large number of injuries and some improvements this year. But, to me, they didn't really sound happy at all with the way things are. Hopefully somebody else who attended got a better impression than me.

The players arrived slowly (and late) for the formalities and looked a bit like the walking wounded. Apart from the obviously injured, several of the non-injured guys looked rather sore after yesterday's game. From what I recall, Green, Sylvia, Tapscott, Trengove and Wonna were absent.

On a positive note, the crowd was enthusiastic, the weather was great and Luna Park is a fantastic venue for the family day. My kids and I enjoyed it.

Hopefully the club can fire-up after a poor pre-season and come out all guns blazing for round 1. Despite our problems, this is the team we have and the players need our support and enthusiasm.

Edited by AlphaDee

Well summed up AlphaDee but one correction. I'm pretty sure that Luke Tapscott was there because I remember thinking how he was moving around well considering his recent hip operation.

I think functions such as today's are important for fostering future support for the club. I took my grandkids (who I've brainwashed completely) and they loved being among the sea of red and blue clad youngsters (and not so young). It would bloody well help the cause of course if the team started winning games!

I think functions such as today's are important for fostering future support for the club. I took my grandkids (who I've brainwashed completely) and they loved being among the sea of red and blue clad youngsters (and not so young). It would bloody well help the cause of course if the team started winning games!

great post...spot on.

There was quite a good turnout but I thought less than last year.

There were plenty of players and staff around to chat with and to sign autographs. I also spoke with Ronald Dale Barassi in the carpark but didn't see him inside. Jimmy's hair is coming back and he looked reasonably well.

I spoke with Ricky P about our forward line and he is well aware of our problems down there. He isn't happy with his own form despite kicking a few in the pre-season. I also chatted with Neville Jetta and Jamie Bernall who are both really nice blokes and who have been friends since they were 6 years old. Brad Miller was fantastic with the kids and I saw hin rustle up half a dozen or so and go on the pirate ship with them. I also chatted with a few other players.

One of the coaching staff told me that the club is well aware of issues such as turnovers, insufficient pressure being applied to oppositions and insufficient movement by our players when we have the ball. They are working hard to overcome these and other problems.

To be honest, I thought the mood among the playing group was a bit low with none of the players I spoke with sounding particularly enthusiastic about the season ahead. Also, Jimmy's and Bailey's speeches were low key and were about continuing development of the group, taking small steps, opportunities for our youngsters due to the large number of injuries and some improvements this year. But, to me, they didn't really sound happy at all with the way things are. Hopefully somebody else who attended got a better impression than me.

The players arrived slowly (and late) for the formalities and looked a bit like the walking wounded. Apart from the obviously injured, several of the non-injured guys looked rather sore after yesterday's game. From what I recall, Green, Sylvia, Tapscott, Trengove and Wonna were absent.

On a positive note, the crowd was enthusiastic, the weather was great and Luna Park is a fantastic venue for the family day. My kids and I enjoyed it.

Hopefully the club can fire-up after a poor pre-season and come out all guns blazing for round 1. Despite our problems, this is the team we have and the players need our support and enthusiasm.

Ronald Barrassi was signing autographs, taking phot's and making jokes for a few hours in the morning almost directly as you work in about 50 metres sitting at a table with Rob flower and David Neitz. Tapscott was def there early.

Well summed up AlphaDee but one correction. I'm pretty sure that Luke Tapscott was there because I remember thinking how he was moving around well considering his recent hip operation.

Don't you start

I went today was there from 9:30am (start) til bout 1:00pm, the MFC family day wrapped up around 11:30am. Pretty good day had my wife and 3 kids plus meat up with 2 of my mates and there familys (i am trying to encourage my friends and family to come to these events and support the club) For most part the players were pretty approachable but i am not one for taking up too much time and or hassling them when being swarmed. Had a good chat to Jack Grimmes one on one as he was trying to leave (i didnnt hold him up he stopped and chatted to me while waiting got scully) very nice bloke and was very keen for round 1 just rested this week as he had played 3 pre season games already and did not pull up sore from last weeks game (as suggested on here). Luna park was great for the kids but not so sure about for a MFC family day i would love too see an event like this at Casey with carnival rides for the kids around the ground and maybe the players in diffirent parts of the ground for meet and greets. make a big day of it and try and get all the people around casey to sign up as NEW Demon members (as this was a big part of moving into casey). Anyway Good day without being great i hope in the next few years to get into event management and the first place i would love to start would be with the Dee's (free of charge of course)

Tapscott was defintely there, one of the first players who signed my jumper. Didn't recognise him at first though because he had sunnies on. And was Jurrah really there during the morning? I know he came up on the stage at the end, but was he out and about signing autographs, because I couldn't spot him at all. We were disappointed with that. But other than that, it was a pretty good day. Haven't been to one in a while.

yes tapscott was there. he is a very nice young man.

must admit the players like to have a nice chat which is great for the fans. usually Indigenous people dont like to talk alot jetta talks known stop and i was surprised

great turn out today.

even though brad miller isnt the best player if anyone was there they would know how much he loves the club and it was great to see him grab the mic and sing the melbourne song but i dont think the mic was on?

great to see everyone there

go dees

I didn't get down from Canberra, but I hope there was heaps of activity at the membership tent / table. Family Day is usually fairly productive for memberships, and we certainly need a good lift to get within cooee of 30k target by Round 1.

Tapscott was defintely there, one of the first players who signed my jumper. Didn't recognise him at first though because he had sunnies on. And was Jurrah really there during the morning? I know he came up on the stage at the end, but was he out and about signing autographs, because I couldn't spot him at all. We were disappointed with that. But other than that, it was a pretty good day. Haven't been to one in a while.

Just too let you know there were a few players upstairs in a bulding towards the back in the middle of the park. They were up there for a while signing autographs and taking pictures think Davey and a few others were there also, i didnt go up there as i didnt know till my mate told me after the event.

Don't you start

Not too late to jump on the bandwagon yourself-- 3 from 6 to maybe 1 from 6 or 0 from 6---I won't laugh at you !

Just too let you know there were a few players upstairs in a bulding towards the back in the middle of the park. They were up there for a while signing autographs and taking pictures think Davey and a few others were there also, i didnt go up there as i didnt know till my mate told me after the event.

Nah, I went up there. All the big players were up there, from memory, Davey, Morton, Moloney, James McDonald, Scully, Watts and Dean Bailey. Not sure if any extra players went up there later on or not.

OH! And I just remember Trengove wasn't there today, which was a shame.

It's not surprising that morale is low, we've just comprehensively lost every game of the pre-season. They've now good two weeks to get themselves 'up' again.

Spot on. Thanks for the report, nice to know the day was a net positive.

Nit pick all you like, my point remains the same.

We should have probably won that game, then thing may have been different. Not really nit picking at all. Your post was just incorrect.

This side will have bad days, days that it will have opportunities to win against more fancied opposition.