• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Davey, Moloney, Rivers in contention for captaincy

titan_uranus

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/history-awaits-aaron-davey/story-e6frf9jf-1225834554901

"Davey, Moloney and Rivers are probably three from an age point of view that have shown some exceptional leadership," Bailey said.

Shows where Rivers is held in the eyes of the FD.

I think one of these three will be captain next year.

"Rivers and Moloney have been fantastic - they are right in the mix of everything with the players. They are great role models and there is a little bit of James McDonald in each of them, which might surprise some people."

Gee - didn't know the boys were THAT close! LOL

Edited by MrMoose

Holding the position until Grimes is old enough.

...many people thought brock was going to be captain...

grimes has only played 16 or so games....we shouldn't learn to pin our hopes on young guys.

it won't be until mcdonald leaves that the void will bring out the unlikely next captain.

We shouldn't have a captain. Prior to last year Davey was struggling, Rivers hardly ever touches the ball and sometimes Moloney plays as brain dead football as anyone. We are not like other clubs who can have a training track hero as captain, we need a captain who leads from the front on the field like Lyon, Viney and Neitz did.

...many people thought brock was going to be captain...

grimes has only played 16 or so games....we shouldn't learn to pin our hopes on young guys.

Exactly. The same jump-the-gun mentality came about when Brock showed all the signs of leadership you could ask for in his first three years, and look how that ended up.

The only real captaincy debate that we need now is in regards to the players around the 25 yr mark. There's absolutely no telling which players will be our leaders in 5-7 years. Most of the time they come completely out of the woodwork. Nothing good can come of lumping a kid his age with the "future captain" tag, other than making ourselves feel better.

We shouldn't have a captain. Prior to last year Davey was struggling, Rivers hardly ever touches the ball and sometimes Moloney plays as brain dead football as anyone......
If that is the general mentality out there among melbourne supporters the club should shut itself down. Can't believe the negativity regarding 3 players who all are respected and all had consistent seasons in 2009.

...we need a captain who leads from the front on the field like Lyon, Viney and Neitz did.

And that is Green. Should be captain already, and is the ideal next captain while waiting for someone like Grimes to prove his mettle. Neitz captained from FF, and Green can do the same for a couple of years. I like Davey, and I suppose there's some club legend/myth-making to be indulged in with an indigenous player as captain, but Green has the grit if you ask me.

The same jump-the-gun mentality came about when Brock showed all the signs of leadership you could ask for in his first three years, and look how that ended up.

Well how could I have known that Brock was a tool.

A Jack will captain this club within 4 years.

And that is Green. Should be captain already, and is the ideal next captain while waiting for someone like Grimes to prove his mettle. Neitz captained from FF, and Green can do the same for a couple of years. I like Davey, and I suppose there's some club legend/myth-making to be indulged in with an indigenous player as captain, but Green has the grit if you ask me.

He's not a leader. Davey for 3 years then one of the new boys.

I'm really hoping Beamer will have an outstanding, injury-free season, leading from the front in the mid-field, and will put his hand up at the end of the season as our logical next captain. The guy absolutely loves the red & blue (has done so all his life), and is already an acknowledged leader at the club.

Mind you, I wouldn't be too upset if either Davey or Rivers got the nod, either, as it would mean they had a standout season 2010.

But, Beamer's my sentimental favourite for the job at the moment...

If that is the general mentality out there among melbourne supporters the club should shut itself down. Can't believe the negativity regarding 3 players who all are respected and all had consistent seasons in 2009.

Davey has never really been consistant,one good year does not make a footballer. If Davey has another good year then he should be a chance.

Moloney is a good 3rd or 4th midfielder not 1 or 2 like he is ATM.

Rivers is fast taking over Bizzell as the most overrated Melbourne player ever on Demonland and I think he was very ordinary last year.

No experienced player has earned the right to be captain. I think the St.Kilda\Sydney 3 captains situation will suit us more cos no one is standing up and telling the football world that they want to be captain or we can take a risk and lead with youth with Grimes which doesn't look likely.

"Rivers and Moloney have been fantastic - they are right in the mix of everything with the players. They are great role models and there is a little bit of James McDonald in each of them, which might surprise some people."

Gee - didn't know the boys were THAT close! LOL

Hahahaha, brilliant! :lol:

We shouldn't have a captain. Prior to last year Davey was struggling, Rivers hardly ever touches the ball and sometimes Moloney plays as brain dead football as anyone. We are not like other clubs who can have a training track hero as captain, we need a captain who leads from the front on the field like Lyon, Viney and Neitz did.

I find that post very frustrating.

Guest Scattsgove

We have a lot of potential captains on our list. Watts, Scully, Trengove, Grimes - the list goes on. These boys have a long way to go before making it as players, but if they reach their potential (as I'm sure they will), all have stunning leadership qualities and would be fantastic in directing the football club to another premiership. In the meantime, however, I don't really mind who heads the team. To be honest I think J Mac is doing a great job as it is, but I'm sure guys like Davey, Moloney and Green would fill the spot nicely. I'd love to see Sylvia get the job, I think a bit of agression would do us well, but I don't think he'll ever get it.

Edited by Scattsgove

I like Davey, and I suppose there's some club legend/myth-making to be indulged in with an indigenous player as captain, but Green has the grit if you ask me.

Weather people like it or not Davey is MFC best player... He has ern't the right to be captain.

I like Green but he has shown no signs of true leadership for mine.........

Moloney has shown the most on field leadership out of all of them..

Davey has never really been consistant,one good year does not make a footballer. If Davey has another good year then he should be a chance.

Moloney is a good 3rd or 4th midfielder not 1 or 2 like he is ATM.

Rivers is fast taking over Bizzell as the most overrated Melbourne player ever on Demonland and I think he was very ordinary last year.

No experienced player has earned the right to be captain. I think the St.Kilda\Sydney 3 captains situation will suit us more cos no one is standing up and telling the football world that they want to be captain or we can take a risk and lead with youth with Grimes which doesn't look likely.

You don't need to be the best midfielder or player to be captain. Its about leadership and Maloney has buckets of that.

The three captain thing worked a treat at St Kilda, yeah lets do that!

You don't need to be the best midfielder or player to be captain. Its about leadership and Maloney has buckets of that.

The three captain thing worked a treat at St Kilda, yeah lets do that!

Forget about other clubs have done we are in a different situation to everyone. I don't think McDonald's leadership has worked cos he hasn't performed well enough on the ground. We don't need another captain like that IMO.

Forget about other clubs have done we are in a different situation to everyone. I don't think McDonald's leadership has worked cos he hasn't performed well enough on the ground. We don't need another captain like that IMO.

But, you said to look at what St.K & Syd with their 3 captains? What should we do? Look at what theey did or forget about what other clubs have done??? This is also on the back of you saying we shouldn't have a captain - WTF??? Its a footy club - you have to have a captain!!

You said earlier that Flash has only had 1 good year? have you been watching since he came to the club??

Beamer plays brain dead football - are you god dam serious??? (he btw is a serious leader on the track - something you said we need)

Rivers overated???? What the hell have you been smoking pal??!!

But, you said to look at what St.K & Syd with their 3 captains? What should we do? Look at what theey did or forget about what other clubs have done??? This is also on the back of you saying we shouldn't have a captain - WTF??? Its a footy club - you have to have a captain!!

You said earlier that Flash has only had 1 good year? have you been watching since he came to the club??

Beamer plays brain dead football - are you god dam serious??? (he btw is a serious leader on the track - something you said we need)

Rivers overated???? What the hell have you been smoking pal??!!

Take off your rose coloured glasses. I would have written that you have a short memory on Davey but you rate Rivers so you must have a long memory to remember when he was a good player so it has to be the rose coloured glasses.

Firstly we are the Melbourne Footaball club not St.Kilda, not Sydney not any other club. What works or doesn't work for them doesn't mean it will or won't work for us. That was my point.

On Davey what were his last couple of years like before he won the B&F last year? If he continued on his form from Rnd1 he would of been traded. He's had about as many lean years as he has had good years so he hasn't been consistant. That's why I wrote that he was only getting judged highly on 1 year cos his last 2 to 3 years had been ordinary.

On Moloney remember the Freo come back game when in the first quarter when under no pressure he looked up and not once or twice but three times kicked it straight down Sandilands throat? Smart players don't do that and it's not just what he does on the field it's what he done off it. When he ripped into McLean what did it achieve except a headline? NOTHING that is what it achieved. He should of waited and let his actions do the talking instead of acting like a man frustrated at the crap that is happening at the club. That was the sort of crap McLean was doing, we don't need it.

On Rivers if you are happy that a non key position player gets the ball about 5 times in our backline when that is where the ball is most of the time then good on you, I'm not. He's not the player he once was.

I never wrote that I'm a fan of training track heroes. I want players who perform on the field that's why we shouldn't have A captain cos no one has stood up consistantly on the field. Davey, Green and Bruce are worth having as a captain's group but for any of those 3 to be a individual captain I don't think would be a good idea because of what I have just stated. No way should Moloney, Rivers or Miller captain the club.

They could always do something innovative and have multiple captains. The team already works largely in units or Backline, Midfield and Forward. Why not name a captain for each? Perhaps one for the ruck as well? This would just be a modified leadership group with a little more focus. Perhaps even captain and vice captain for each part of the ground who then act in the same role as the leadership group now?