Predicting round one's defences

buddha82

Predicting round one's defences

Lists the Dee's starting defence as:

MELBOURNE

B: Jamie Bennell, James Frawley, Jared Rivers

HB: Joel Macdonald, Matthew Warnock, Jack Grimes

Bennell has had an excellent pre-season and looks set to assume the small running defender position vacated by the retired Matthew Whelan. Frawley is now a key tall and Rivers has had his best pre-season in years. He looks ready to build on his solid 2009 after managing just nine matches in the two previous seasons. Ex-Lion Macdonald steps in for the retired Paul Wheatley and Warnock is a now permanent fixture in the back six. Grimes could easy play in the midfield, but the club will be mindful he has only 12 games under his belt. His worth off half-back will be equally critical.

Think they pretty much nailed it, that's the exact 6 players I woudl pick. Only thing is I would switch Warnock and Frawley, as I like Chip much more at CHB as he's much faster and his run and carry is far superior to Warnock's.

For the record, they list the Hawks defence as:

HAWTHORN

B: Brent Guerra, Stephen Gilham, Josh Gibson

HB: Grant Birchall, Ryan Schoenmakers, Rick Ladson

Backline injuries were a big reason for Hawthorn's fall last year but at this stage the team looks close to full-strength. Expect Gilham and Ladson to slot back in while recruit Gibson is virtually guaranteed a walk-up start. Xavier Ellis and Clinton Young will press for spots across half-back as they return from injury but could also be used up the ground. Luke Hodge famously won his Norm Smith as a half-back general but indications are that he will play forward early on, as could Campbell Brown.

Edited by buddha82

I must say that is a pretty impressive back 6 for us - touch wood on injuries. To me the inclusion of 1 player (Joel Mac) has tipped the complexion of our defence from an up and comer to more like a men's department which all good defences should be. The best thing about it is that none of those players are over 25 yet and we have a fair range of youngsters and depth defenders who can fill in when required. Hopefully some other senior players like McDonald and Bruce won't be relied upon as much down the ground either and can also offer to help out down back when required.

Impressive.

yep..got ya the first time...lmao

on serious note ( F#) Our defence IS our best component...Has been for a few years. If we can refine and supplement it and continue to grow its gnarlyness (should there be such a word0 then this will be our lynch pin of success for some years. Whilst out midfield develops into a serious outfit and forwards tighten up and hurt the scoreboard then our defence will again be needed to take hits whilst containing damage.

On a brighter there are still a handful to slot in there should injury or redeployments require...thats good :)

hawthorn's backline looks very vulnerable. too bad we don't have bate or jamar training at full capacity. hopefully green will go forward and continue his pre-season form. morton possibly to go forward aswell

Edited by davey's gravy

Looks good. They are close but I reckon Bruce will spend more time down there than Grimes, and I'd like Rivers at HB with Bruce at BP. (Having seen Jamar last weekend, barring future mishaps he'll be right for round one and a big boost for us.)

MELBOURNE

B: Jamie Bennell, Matthew Warnock, Jared Rivers

HB: Joel Macdonald, James Frawley, Kyle Cheney

The above will be the six, with Jack Grimes either in the guts or playing on a wing.The six have great flexibility between them.The makings of a premiership backline.

hawthorn's backline looks very vulnerable. too bad we don't have bate or jamar training at full capacity. hopefully green will go forward and continue his pre-season form. morton possibly to go forward aswell

Bate will be fit and firing for round one as will Jamar. Still six weeks til round one..

Garland ?

Just about a walk up start when fit I'd say. Problem Is who do we leave out? I'd like to see..

Bennell Warnock Rivers

Mcdonald Frawley Garland

We really have some depth to our backline now. Martin and Cheeney, Grimes, Bruce, Tommy Mac can all go through the backline.

Edited by J-Riv

Just about a walk up start when fit I'd say. Problem Is who do we leave out? I'd like to see..

Bennell Warnock Rivers

Mcdonald Frawley Garland

We really have some depth to our backline now. Martin and Cheeney, Grimes, Bruce, Tommy Mac can all go through the backline.

so can Morton, others Bail, Strauss, Bell and Bartram (you never know)

let's not forget Davey played off half-back most of last year!

So yeah that's 17 possible defenders for 6 spots in theory.... (!)

The backline has been made to look much worse than it is,due to a bit of instability caused by injuries, and the fact that heavily outgunned midfields have had them under siege most over the time.. the positive side is blokes like FRawley have been given a good fast-tracking in their development

I was overseas for two years so am yet to see Garland play. From all reports he's a certain inclusion when fit. My only question is how does he play? I know he's tall, but can he play short and are his skills and speed good enough to play off a HBF?

Agreed that we'll probably see a bit of Bruce playing in place of Grimes, just as you'd think you'll see Cheney and McDonald playing in place of Bennell in the back pocket.

I like Cheney as a player but his skills and footy smarts aren't up to playing off half-back yet for mine, prefer to see him playing deeper.

I was overseas for two years so am yet to see Garland play. From all reports he's a certain inclusion when fit. My only question is how does he play? I know he's tall, but can he play short and are his skills and speed good enough to play off a HBF?

Agreed that we'll probably see a bit of Bruce playing in place of Grimes, just as you'd think you'll see Cheney and McDonald playing in place of Bennell in the back pocket.

I like Cheney as a player but his skills and footy smarts aren't up to playing off half-back yet for mine, prefer to see him playing deeper.

It sounds like hyperbole, but I reckon he moves like a skinny Matthew Scarlett.

Is definitely fast and mobile enough to play on the smalls.

Kicking skills are ok, but have never struck me as exceptionally good.

Better than Rivers at least.

Cheney's footy smarts are actually one of his strengths imho. But I agree that he is better deeper.

Although Garland Is KP height he's quick and agile. He can play both tall and small. I think i recall him playing on Leon Davis then a few games later was playing on Buddy Franklin (was nominated for the rising star that game). Can also play forward as well as back. I wouldn't say he's a rebounding defender but he makes good decisions and Is mostly clean by hand and foot. I hope that helps you out.

About Bennell, I think he'll cement a spot If not this year then next. The kid can flat out play!

Edited by J-Riv

so can Morton, others Bail, Strauss, Bell and Bartram (you never know)

let's not forget Davey played off half-back most of last year!

So yeah that's 17 possible defenders for 6 spots in theory.... (!)

The backline has been made to look much worse than it is,due to a bit of instability caused by injuries, and the fact that heavily outgunned midfields have had them under siege most over the time.. the positive side is blokes like FRawley have been given a good fast-tracking in their development

Well... to be honest, your half-back-flankers play more like defensive midfielders these days and with rotations, picking a 'back 6' is almost obsolete.

With no Franklin playing - could we afford to sit Matty Warnock out? I know he is a very handy defender and each year surprises me that he keeps improving but maybe Frawley and Rivers could be enough up against Roughead and possibly Dowler.

A lot depends on Garland - if he can play a preseason game and prove his form and fitness he must play.

I'm happy with Jamie Bennell, James Frawley and Jared Rivers being locked in at the moment, then would add 4 of Bruce, Macdonald, Warnock, Garland and depending on if he's not in the midfield Grimes or possibly the best performer out of Strauss/Cheney and all the other currently spare parts backmen McNamara (personal fave), Bell, Bartram, Bail.

Any chance we have of beating the hawks will need an inspired midfield performance - Jamar, Moloney, Jones and Davey and co will have the get on top of Spud Ruckmen and star midfield - Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Lewis, Sewell, Batemen, Ellis and co.

Thanks for the heads up on Garland. Sounds like the complete package. Excited to see him running around, hopefully it's not too far away.

Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Lewis, Sewell, Batemen, Ellis and co.

That's a ridiculous midfield when you look at it isn't it. Bursting with talent. Hopefully in a few years we'll be looking at Trengove, Scully, Davey, Moloney, Jones, Blease, Gysberts and Tapscott in the same way.

Not sure about dropping Warnock but I see your point about having all 3 talls. Personally I think Warnock, along with Frawley and probably Rivers, would be three of the first names down on the sheet, would be surprised to see him dropped. Warnock to take any resting ruckman who wander down into the forward line? Not too sure what other talls the Hawks have in their forward given they barely get a look in with Buddy and Roughead in there.

With no Franklin playing - could we afford to sit Matty Warnock out? I know he is a very handy defender and each year surprises me that he keeps improving but maybe Frawley and Rivers could be enough up against Roughead and possibly Dowler.

A lot depends on Garland - if he can play a preseason game and prove his form and fitness he must play.

I'm happy with Jamie Bennell, James Frawley and Jared Rivers being locked in at the moment, then would add 4 of Bruce, Macdonald, Warnock, Garland and depending on if he's not in the midfield Grimes or possibly the best performer out of Strauss/Cheney and all the other currently spare parts backmen McNamara (personal fave), Bell, Bartram, Bail.

Any chance we have of beating the hawks will need an inspired midfield performance - Jamar, Moloney, Jones and Davey and co will have the get on top of Spud Ruckmen and star midfield - Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Lewis, Sewell, Batemen, Ellis and co.

I can see what your saying but I just cant see warnock getting left out. Id play Warnock on Roughie and Rivers on Dowler. Frawley to play smaller which he has In the past. Interesting to see If Garland Is fit enough for round 1.

Judging by Hawthorn's back six, Jurrah will kick 9......... that's if Hawthorn's midfield allows us to get the ball in our forward 50 9 times....

For the record, my preferred back 6 is

Warnock, Frawley, Garland

McDonald, Rivers, Grimes

With Bennell to rotate through from the bench, freeing up Grimes for stints in the midfield.