Jumper Numbers 2010

Nasher

I'm surprised I didn't see another thread on this already, so if there is one and I've missed it, please point it out.

It's the time of year to have a crack at the new jumper numbers. Cam Schwab has said on Twitter that the new numbers will be allocated within the next week.

These are the current jumper numbers as they stand.

2. JONES, Nathan

3. BARTRAM, Clint

4. WATTS, Jack

6. BATE, Matthew

7. MILLER, Brad

8. FRAWLEY, James

10. MORTON, Cale

11. JOHNSON, Paul

12. SYLVIA, Colin

14. DUNN, Lynden

15. PETTERD, Ricky

16. GRIMES, Jack

18. GREEN, Brad

19. MARIC, Addam

20. GARLAND, Colin

21. BELL, Daniel

22. MOLONEY, Brent

23. McDONALD, James

24. JURRAH, Liam

25. CHENEY, Kyle

*26. MEESEN, John ®

27. RIVERS, Jared

*29. NEWTON, Michael ®

30. McNAMARA, Tom

32. BRUCE, Cameron

33. WONAEAMIRRI, Austin

34. MARTIN, Stefan

36. DAVEY, Aaron

37. WARNOCK, Matthew

38. HUGHES, Daniel ®

39. JETTA, Neville

40. JAMAR, Mark

41. BAIL, Rohan

42. SPENCER, Jake ®

43. BENNELL, Jamie

46. BLEASE, Sam

47. STRAUSS, James

49. McKENZIE, Jordie ®

50. HEALEY, Rhys ®

* To be redrafted. These numbers could become vacant, but for the purposes of this exercise I'm assuming they won't.

These are the players to be added to the list:

Scully, Tom

Trengove, Jack

Gysberts, Jordan

Tapscott, Luke

Gawn, Max

Fitzpatrick, Jack

Macdonald, Joel

While I recognise that these are not the set in stone list of players yet, there's a very strong chance that this is what they will be.

For me I like:

1: Macdonald

5: Trengove

9: Tapscott

13: Blease

17: Strauss

28: Gysberts

31: Scully

35: Gawn

44: Fitzpatrick

Wondering why Gysberts gets 28 and Tapscott gets 9?

Firstly, they both should get numbers in the 40s, and, secondly, Gysberts is the higher rated player - he should get the 'better' number, no?

1 - JMac

5 - Trengove

13 - Strauss

17 - Blease

28 - McKenzie

31 - Scully

35 - Gawn

46 - Gysberts

47 - Tapscott

48 - Fitzpatrick

Let someone earn 9 (If Scully or Trengove aren't given it).

Wondering why Gysberts gets 28 and Tapscott gets 9?

Is 9 "better" than 28? At what point do the "bad" numbers start? 20s? 30s? 40s?

The only reason why I gave Tapscott 9 but Gysberts 28 is because given my other choices, there was only one low number left. It was an arbitrary decision, I could easily have reversed them, or given them both higher numbers (or both low). I just went with what I thought sounded good.

For me I like:

9: Tapscott

13: Blease

17: Strauss

35: Gawn

9: Bennell

13: Strauss

17: Blease

35: Tapscott

43: Gawn

If Spencer was upgraded I would have made him wear #1 but MacDonald seems a good fit.

Trengove and Scully for 5 & 31 has been rumoured for some time.

Bennell is very highly rated and will be offered a high number while I heard a crappy rumour that Jetta likes his number....

1 of Tapscott or Gysberts will take 35. Write that down.

Is 9 "better" than 28? At what point do the "bad" numbers start? 20s? 30s? 40s?

The only reason why I gave Tapscott 9 but Gysberts 28 is because given my other choices, there was only one low number left. It was an arbitrary decision, I could easily have reversed them, or given them both higher numbers (or both low). I just went with what I thought sounded good.

Is 9 better than 28?!

Neitz or Read?

Come on, Nasher. Come on!

Is 9 better than 28?!

Neitz or Read?

Im having a mental blank. Who was the father son during the early 90's who had 28 on his back? Ranga..... couldnt kick..... not too athletic..... funny nickname.... had a decent career in the SANFL after he was delisted.... BUGGAR!!!!!!!!! what is his name?!?!?!??!?!

Is 9 better than 28?!

Neitz or Read?

Good point. I say we retire 28 to not tarnish any player's future. Reid, Matt Collins. A few other numbers may need to go in the process...B)

Is 9 better than 28?!

Neitz or Read?

I have not given any consideration to the past whatsoever; someone eventually has to get the number, and far as I'm concerned any new recruit is as worthy as any other. The _only_ reason I put Scully in 31 is because forum groupthink subliminally planted the idea in my head; nothing to do with Barassi or any other esteemed wearer of that number.

Some of the famous names who have worn the No 28 guernsey.

1912 Clarence P. Abbott

1913 – 1914 Len Incigneri (No. 25, 1915)

1913 Percy Ellingsen

1915 Jack Huntington (No. 3, 1914; No. 19, 1919 – 1920)

1919 Matt Connors

1919 Bob Bodington (No. 18, 1920)

1919 Jack A. ‘Dodger’ Evans (No. 29, 1912; No. 8, 1913, 1915; No. 7, 1914)

1920 George Walker (No. 26, 1914; No. 20, 1915, 1920 – 1921; No. 16, 1919)

1921 Alec Farrow (No. 25, 1919; No. 4, 1920)

1922 Harold Dunbar

1923 – 1928 Hugh Dunbar (No. 29, 1922)

1929 Henry McRae

1930 – 1932 W.T. ‘Webber’ Jackson

1933 Bill W. Robinson

1934 – 1938 Pat McNamara

1939 Leslie Gibbs (No. 31, 1941 – 1942, 1944)

1941 – 1943 Ted Cordner (No. 23, 1946)

1944 – 1945 Percy Taylor

1946 – 1949 Adrian ‘Spud’ Dullard (No. 34, 1940 – 1943; No. 18, 1945)

1950 Greg Lourey (No. 17, 1948)

1951 – 1952 William Smeaton

1953 – 1962 G.J. ‘Terry’ Gleeson

1963 – 1965 David Robbie

1967 – 1970 Derek Feldmann

1973 – 1981 Tony Dullard

1982 – 1987 David Cordner

1988 – 1989 Jamie Duursma

1990 – 1992 John Howat (No. 51, 1989)

1993 – 1996 Glenn Molloy

1997 Nick Pesch

1998 – 2002 Matthew Collins

2004 - 2006 Phil Read

2006 - Now ???????

I've heard Scully gets 31, Trengove 9 and Gysberts 5.

I'm unsure what the other draftees get. I'm also unsure whether Blease, Strauss, Bennell and Jetta get to take up lower numbers, or if they would want to.

I think the best policy on these things is to hand out the numbers as the come available, with the most deserving getting first choice. If they want to take on a highly regarded number then good luck to them. I'd say Scully and Trengove as pick 1 and 2 should get first go, then probably Bennell and Jetta for a reward for a good season, then maybe Blease and Strauss followed by Gysberts extending through the picks.

But they are just numbers, you make them your own if you are good enough. If any of these young guys are upset with a dodgy number then they should have a good season because at the end of the year it is likely that the best number going around will become vacant - Junior Mac's 23!

RR, you sure go back a long way.

Some of those "famous" names may actually go down in infamy. David Cordner..... a top bloke, but the original Coodabeen Champion.

True.

I can only recall seeing back to Derek Feldmann.

I liked Jamie Duursma. Will never forget the job he done on Kernahan.

The journeyman came good that day.

2007, 2008 - Isaac Weetra

Did we preserve the number in due respect? :P

RR's favourite player. :P

Some things in your life you dont wish to remember. :unsure:

deegirl has 5 = Trengove, 31 = Scully - so they're locks

Joel McDonald was 26 at Brisbane - that number is not finalised yet.

I like Tapscott for 9 and Gawn for 1 or 44 for no good reason.