Late Mail

Don24

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love for us to get Taylor, but i am not overly sold on Patrick (even after watching his footage) so i wouldn't be totally devastated. Not that i am any expert just my opinion really ;)

Although we do have a real need for a ruckman to come thru in next couple of years and we just have to trust BP and crew that they know what there doing.

Looking forward to tonight though and seeing what unfolds!!!

i really hope we get liam patrick he plays ruck and gets hes own clearances too, he is the new age ruckmen i reckon we'll slowly see the end of these massive giants like sandilands that dont do heaps around the ground, havent seen much gawn though i must admitt. does anyone know if he can move around the ground at all? or if he has good skills by foot and in the air?

I'm hoping we go Black at 11 over Talia. I've only seen highlights of the two but I get the feeling people rave on about Talia been the next Hurley who can play forward as well as back. He may have a bit of ability to play forward but due to Hurley's success, people automatically say Talia will be the same.

I'm keen on a key forward and by the sounds of things Black looks like he could team well with Watts up forward.

Gawn at 18 is a very interesting prospect by the looks of it. His highlights show that he looks like he is quite mobile with a terrific set of hands. However I didn't think it really looked like he towered above everyone else considering he is 207cm which I thought was odd

Edited by whelan_rocks

i really hope we get liam patrick he plays ruck and gets hes own clearances too, he is the new age ruckmen i reckon we'll slowly see the end of these massive giants like sandilands that dont do heaps around the ground, havent seen much gawn though i must admitt. does anyone know if he can move around the ground at all? or if he has good skills by foot and in the air?

he is 185cm so I don't think he will end up a ruckmen at AFL level. The league he is currently playing in allows him to use his incredible leap to compete in the ruck

I'm not too worried about Patrick. Burgan's Phantom Draft had him at 50, but Panos was available also. I'd take Panos over Patrick.

Other late mail is that Andrew Moore is likely to go to Port Adelaide with one of their first picks. This means Butcher or Lucas could slide.

Hopefully Butcher can slide through to 11, but I think it's still wishful thinking.

Guest hangon007

Sounds like to me the article is hedging its bets and trying to fit 15 kids into the top 10 ... hence why pick 11 for Brock McLean is looking better by the minute.

he is 185cm so I don't think he will end up a ruckmen at AFL level. The league he is currently playing in allows him to use his incredible leap to compete in the ruck

is he really that short is he? thought he looked small geez that leap must be big. still i reckon we can get a ruckmen later then 18. i still feel pick 18 is pretty high for a ruckmen unless he looks really good at this age, i reckon LP looked pretty good forward as well, imo id rather see us fill all the holes around the ground and get a ruckmen with a later pick...

Gawn at 18 is a very interesting prospect by the looks of it. His highlights show that he looks like he is quite mobile with a terrific set of hands. However I didn't think it really looked like he towered above everyone else considering he is 207cm which I thought was odd

208cm.

is he really that short is he? thought he looked small geez that leap must be big. still i reckon we can get a ruckmen later then 18. i still feel pick 18 is pretty high for a ruckmen unless he looks really good at this age, i reckon LP looked pretty good forward as well, imo id rather see us fill all the holes around the ground and get a ruckmen with a later pick...

What about Daw with a later pick?! Could play more of an agile around the ground role as well?!

He is 185cms. He is no ruckman.

If there was a ruck prospect in the draft that had high wraps, they would go top 5 at least, if not earlier. Nick Nat last year could have gone pick 1, Kreuzer went pick 1 the year before. This doesn't mean they were the best player in that draft, it means that Clubs rate a ruck with good potential just as high as a midfielder with great potential.

If BP is saying that Vardy and Gawn are going to be solid players, you will find that they will go higher that what you hope. Taking a punt on a ruck with a later pick will be very high risk, more so than taking a KPF at a later pick.

I think we would have more benefit out of Vardy at 11 rather than Talia, Black or even Butcher, this is assuming that BP rates them all evenly. When we are developing such a talented midfield, we need someone to feed them. I know that midfield will need to kick it to someone, but there is no reason why our mids and flanks can kick their share of goals.

The main reason we wont see many of that giant-type is because there's bugger all of them around! Sandilands always smashes Melbourne when we play them (more often than not anyway). He is consistently in the top 3 rucks in the league, and does his fair share of work around the ground, especially when he goes forward - very hard to beat one-on-one. I would love to have the next Sandi-type play for us. A mate of mine, who barracks for Geelong, any time we watch Freo play, we always comment about how he is too tall and that there should be a height limit on AFL players! Picture Sandilands wearing the red and blue, tapping it down to our midfield, gives me a bit of swelling I know that!

I'll trust the football depoartment to be much better informed of his football ability than I.

Same with Gawn's medical report.

But I try to think of it like this - would I trade pick 18 for a young Aaron Sandilands? Hell yes I would.

*Roll the dice Barry*

Harrington and Predergast have been hinting for some time that 'talls' were definitely on the radar for picks 3 and 4. Just how tall or how KP theyve totally left us in the dark about. Fair enough as theyre playing it for real and we're all really just guessing.. ( educated and otherwise ) I find it interesting that at least two of the more noted observers to drafts have Gawn with us at 18. Now Im reading into this that some intimation for this came their way. i.e they arent stabbing in the dark here.

Not long to go now... :lol:

The main reason we wont see many of that giant-type is because there's bugger all of them around! Sandilands always smashes Melbourne when we play them (more often than not anyway). He is consistently in the top 3 rucks in the league, and does his fair share of work around the ground, especially when he goes forward - very hard to beat one-on-one. I would love to have the next Sandi-type play for us.

The thing I like about Gawn from the You-Tube certainly does seem to do his share around the ground, and certainly seems capable of taking a pack mark. Giants like him either can take a pack mark or can't, can contribute around the ground or can't - and Gawn just looks like he can. If he's a 208cm tap ruckman only, he'd be nowhere near #18.

I'm still torn between Talia & Jetta at 11. Talia just looks like he has all the makings of a great footballer wherever we play him, but Jetta is X-factor-plus, and has performed well against men.

he plays sort of short for all of his giganticness ( sic..i know..I know !! ). Quite agile and doesnt look awkward. Quite something really

he plays sort of short for all of his giganticness ( sic..i know..I know !! ). Quite agile and doesnt look awkward. Quite something really

My mates that are ion his team at sandy dragons say his really good, very mobile and uses his height to good advantages also a smart footballer get in the right places fills holes in defence etc. And as you said doesnt have that awkward movement/style like most giants.

I really hope we take the risk at pic 18.

My mates that are ion his team at sandy dragons say his really good, very mobile and uses his height to good advantages also a smart footballer get in the right places fills holes in defence etc. And as you said doesnt have that awkward movement/style like most giants.

I really hope we take the risk at pic 18.

I think it will be less of a risk taking he or Vardy at 18, than taking Butcher or Talia at 11.

I still think/hope we will take Ball at 11, then ruck at 18. Almost the safest picks we can make.

I think it will be less of a risk taking he or Vardy at 18, than taking Butcher or Talia at 11.

I still think/hope we will take Ball at 11, then ruck at 18. Almost the safest picks we can make.

Forget Ball, it's just not going to happen and we don't want him anyway, slow, can't kick, nowhere near our plans for the future. As you know I'd take Butcher at 11 and I'm sure Barry wouldn't let him past.

Late Mail says Gawn firming at #18 for us.....and Essendon seem certain to take Liam Patrick at #33.

Disappointed by both of those. I was really hoping to get Troy Taylor and Patrick, But at the very least want Taylor at #18.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tab...14/default.aspx

I'd take Patrick at 18 and Taylor at 34. I know that's out there but 18 really is a bonus pick and if we can get Butcher at 11 I'll be stoked. I want the cousins playing for us. The press alone would sell 2000 memberships and if he came off the upside is right up. Patrick and Jurrah on the half forward line, Imagine that. I'm just not sold on the need for a lumbering giant anymore. So what if Sandilands carves us up we still win and we've been ordinary, says it all really. Ask yourself this. Would you swap a 21 year old Sandilands for Jurrah, I think not!

You still want Ball at 11??!?!

Where's Ren when you need him?

EEEEEEEdiot!