Ball's Choice Collingwood or Essendon

Dee Fan

Just wondering how Collingwood went from two losing grand finals in a row ('02, '03) to bottoming out for a first-round priority pick (Thomas) two years later?

not quite sure what your intimating there Maurie :rolleyes:

imagesr.jpg

showing their true colours perhaps ?? :lol:

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies if this has been asked before, but the thread is so long.......

Is there anything to prevent Melb doing a deal with C'wood (other than not trusting the bastards)) where Melb pick up Ball at 18 but undertakes to let C'wood sign him up in return for something valuable from C'wood.

I don't expect that C'wood have anything to offer (certainly want more than pick 30 for 18!), but just curious about the rules.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but the thread is so long.......

Is there anything to prevent Melb doing a deal with C'wood (other than not trusting the bastards)) where Melb pick up Ball at 18 but undertakes to let C'wood sign him up in return for something valuable from C'wood.

I don't expect that C'wood have anything to offer (certainly want more than pick 30 for 18!), but just curious about the rules.

The rules don't allow anything like what that.

Some think it wise to give him a one-year contract and give him to Collingwood at the end of 2010.

But these people are idiots.

Guest hangon007
What Bailey alluded to on that SEN interview doesn't concern me. It wasn't an outright dismissal of the idea of recruitment of Ball and nor should there be.

We are a strong club, and we DO NOT TAKE RECRUITING CUES FROM LUKE BALL.

(Sorry for the yelling, but I am passionate, not on getting Luke Ball, but on not listening to Luke Ball. He is ours to take unless a better option comes along, and there may be a better option - if so, overlook Ball. Just don't take the weak route and dismiss the idea of recruiting Ball, before Nov 26 at about 7pm)

I was wrong about you ... I hereby apologise and I hope you accept it. I would shout you a beer any-day. Go dees!!!

Edited by hangon007

No club that has systematically tanked for years on end has won a flag. St. Kilda were the closest club to spending years on end in a bid to win a flag.

Either way, Russell Robertson was a champion of your club. He overcome a lot to arrive where he did. No club champion deserves to be treated the way he was by Bailey, high draft picks are useless if you don't try to develop a winning culture at every chance. Carlton are a great example of a club that tanked, had a poor culture & b/c of that poor culture, the highest they will go is around 7/8 even with their highend draft picks.

yeah whatever dhead we are going to have a culture of elite players in Morton, Grimes, Scully, Watts, Trengove and Jurrah, matchwinners every one of them, as a result of our 3 bad years and you wouldn't find a single supporter that would give any of them back

you lot will be our beeyatches from 2012-2017 especially after you get zero talent from the next three drafts

its going to be fun

Guest The Old Xaverian
I've often wondered that myself ;) . They couldn't blame Woey, could they ?

We won 9 games in 04, Buckley didn't play a game until RD 6 & hardly played after. Not sure if 9 wins & 3 wins off a finals apperance without your best player classifies as tanking. You need to wonder a bit more :o

Edited by The Old Xaverian

We won 9 games in 04, Buckley didn't play a game until RD 6 & hardly played after. Not sure if 9 wins without your best player classifies as tanking.

and 05 ? :rolleyes:

Hawthorn only had 1 year where they received a priority pick.

This will be Melbourne's 3rd Priority Pick in a row, the same as St. Kilda in 00', 01' & 02', ditto for Carlton 05', 06' & 07'.

Hawthorn have had 2 priority picks - Roughhead/Buddy and Ellis/Dowler. And Melbourne have only had 2 in a row (1 being at pick 17).

But dont let the truth get in the way of your argument.

Save your puerile observations for the Collingwood forums, they're not welcome here.

'G O - S O M E W H E R E - E L S E. - Y O U - A R E - N O T - W E L C O M E - H E R E'

Yes he is.

You (and I) might not like what he has to say, but this is a forum. It is designed for public discussion.

Absolutely anyone should be able to post on here. Those who contravene the rules should get banned. TOX might be a juvenile, puerile, antagonistic Collingwood supporter, but so long as he abides by the rules there's no reason at all why he shouldn't be allowed to post here. If you don't like his posts, ignore him.

We won 9 games in 04, Buckley didn't play a game until RD 6 & hardly played after. Not sure if 9 wins & 3 wins off a finals apperance without your best player classifies as tanking. You need to wonder a bit more :o

It was in reference to "two years later"....hence 2005....which you conveniently overlooked. It's no "wonder"..

Guest The Old Xaverian
It was in reference to "two years later"....hence 2005

Someone said we tanked in the period 04/05..

In 05, Buckley played RD 1, did his hamstring & his career was in doubt, he didn't play again until RD 13.

Rocca broke his ankle in RD 3, he didn't play again for the year.

Tarrant missed 6 weeks with a broken ankle.

Josh Fraser didn't play until RD 6 & was spent by RD 10.

Rhyce Shaw, who was leading our B&F, did his knee on QB & didn't play again that year.

That's a fair contigent of our best players who were injured during the year/start of the year.

Steady son. 1st Priority Pick (before 1st round) in a row.

Last year was Sam Blease (pick 17 - priority - prior to 2nd round).

My apologies, this year will be your third priority pick since 03.

03 - Sylvia

08 - Blease

09 - Pick 2

Guest The Old Xaverian
Looks like 1/15th of the size of injury list when compared to ours the last few years....or so it seems.

Didn't know you had a player the quality of Nathan Buckley in his peak years on your list in the last few years.

Didn't know you had a player the quality of Nathan Buckley in his peak years on your list in the last few years.

Is this the same "quality player" that knocked N.Brown out from behind, whilst he had his head over the ball in a QB clash just prior to half time, that you speak of?

Enjoyed that win after half-time. Thanks Bucks.

Buckley of 04/05 was well into receiver mode by then, if you consider that his peak years then that sums him up I guess. I think you may be getting confused with Burns and Licuria who got the ball for Buckley rather than Buckley himself. 2002, the year Buckley was gifted Voss' Norm Smith Medal was about the last time he did anything resembling topline football.

Guest The Old Xaverian
2002, the year Buckley was gifted Voss' Norm Smith Medal was about the last time he did anything resembling topline football.

So why did he win a Brownlow in 2003? Pretty sure a Brownlow Medal is a fair representation of "topline" football.

In 05, Buckley played RD 1, did his hamstring & his career was in doubt, he didn't play again until RD 13.

Rhyce Shaw, who was leading our B&F, did his knee on QB & didn't play again that year.

That's a fair contigent of our best players who were injured during the year/start of the year.

You were probably a bit unlucky there, Rocca played two and a bit games, you would have been better off if he missed the entire season.

The fact Collingwood cleared both of them shows what your club thought of Tarrant and Shaw. In fact if Rocca, Tarrant and Shaw didn't play for Collingwood they would have been considered just ordinary footballers.

It would have been interesting to see what the football world's view of Buckley was had played for a club like ours or North.

Edited by RobbieF

Guest The Old Xaverian
In fact if Rocca, Tarrant and Shaw didn't play for Collingwood they would have been considered just ordinary footballers.

Rocca - 4 goals in a Grand Final.

Tarrant - An AA selection in 03.

Shaw - 2nd in Sydney's B&F in 09.

Fail on your part.

So why did he win a Brownlow in 2003? Pretty sure a Brownlow Medal is a fair representation of "topline" football.

That was an absolute joke. Ricciuto and Goodes were clearly better footballers. Having said that even if you consider '03 possibly his best year there was a fair drop off to the '05 season which is what you are hanging your hat on with his injury.

My apologies, this year will be your third priority pick since 03.

03 - Sylvia

08 - Blease

09 - Pick 2

By the end of Round 2 2007 Old Xav the MFC had lost our entire spine through injury from the senior team.

Our season was effictively over, but thats footy.

No side can be competitive under that scenario-not even Geelong.

Edited by why you little

Guest The Old Xaverian
That was an absolute joke. Ricciuto and Goodes were clearly better footballers.

Ah, the old Shane Woewodin excuse. Either way, I'm pretty sure (taking away the Brownlow effort) AA selection & a B&F in a GF side is an example of "topline" football.

Ah, the old Shane Woewodin excuse. Either way, I'm pretty sure (taking away the Brownlow effort) AA selection & a B&F in a GF side is an example of "topline" football.

Sadly Woewoddin was never a topline player on Grand final day. I felt sorry him personally.

Rocca - 4 goals in a Grand Final.

Tarrant - An AA selection in 03.

Shaw - 2nd in Sydney's B&F in 09.

Fail on your part.

So one had a good game, one had a good year for you and one had a good year for Sydney when they were on the way down, wow.

As I said, I doubt that they would have even been noticed if they played for someone else.

Even Woey won a brownlow so there not that hard are they?