• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Luke Ball in the National Draft

Hazyshadeofgrinter

It will be interesting wont it :lol: A lot of cards being kept close to chests. He better be able to back up anything he's written on those tickets on self <_<

In FD we trust ;)

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*BUMP*

So relevant, the question remains...where would he go ?

Port #9 ?

Ess #10 ?

Syd #14 ?

Port #16 ?

Melb #18 ?

North #21 ?

Ess #24?

North #25 ?

Ess #26 ?

Bris #27 ?

Coll #30 ?

I'm praying for Essendon at 10 or even Port at 9.

Would help our drafting no end.

I hope to god we don't touch him now that he's in the ND, as he'll be gone by pick 34 where I'd start to consider him.

Luke is a professional sportsperson, I'm sure that no matter which club drafts him, he will work hard to earn his salary and progress his career. Has he actually said he specifically doesn't want to play for Melbourne? Probably not, it's just Herald Sun journalism spreading BS. If he is the best available option at pick 18 I'd be happy to have him. He's far less of a gamble at pick 18 than an unproven, undeveloped kid.

Couldn't care less about what Ball wants or 'what he has done to us.'

If the FD think he is worth the price - pick him, throw him a shirt, and tell him 'that's life.'

Probably the best piece of literature pertaining to the Luke Ball situation.

People need to get over themselves about Luke Ball not nominating for the PSD and realise what an asset he'll be to our midfield next year. Now that McLean has gone, I can't think of one player who will go in and get a consistent clearance.

Until Luke Ball and his manager publicy state that he doesn't want to play for Melbourne, then he's open slather as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

People need to get over themselves about Luke Ball not nominating for the PSD and realise what an asset he'll be to our midfield next year. Now that McLean has gone, I can't think of one player who will go in and get a consistent clearance.

Until Luke Ball and his manager publicy state that he doesn't want to play for Melbourne, then he's open slather as far as I'm concerned.

Col Sylvia....Brent Maloney!?

Guest hangon007
*BUMP*

Port #9 ?

Ess #10 ?

Syd #14 ?

Port #16 ?

Melb #18 ?

North #21 ?

Ess #24?

North #25 ?

Ess #26 ?

Bris #27 ?

Coll #30 ?

St Kilda knocked back for an un-contracted player ... picks 25 & 50 something ... so they thought he was worth more than that. Interestingly Collingwood surprise surprise where prepared to do the deal. I wonder why!!!

The Western Bulldogs ... flirted with the idea of getting involved ie A Everitt for pick 18-21 Saints got Everitt Collingwood got Ball ... Collingwood then had to satisfy the third party ... Doggies pulled the pin when it was clear Pies where full of junk.

Little birdy told me the Tigers flirted with the idea throwing 19 into the equation ... However, it was "conditional" they got rid of crap they subsequently where forced to keep .... hehehe

So ultimately suppose the "market" is saying approx pick 16-21ish ... all things being equal.

However, taking last years draft as an example. Is the "market" always right? ;)

So I'm going to say "the question remains...where would he go ?" to the team that is prepared to bid the highest price ... ;)

Sometimes in life, in a market to secure a asset you should be prepared to pay the approximate market price ... the more competition the slightly higher price you may be forced to pay.

... if you dont want to pay the "market" price and want everything for "cheap" ... go buy a tattslotto ticket and I wish you luck.

Jones? Moloney? McDonald?

McLean wasn't providing us with superb midfield clearance work anyway. It's not like we've lost a Judd or a Selwood.

And what if they do? Would you then say you don't want him?

Just because it's not public doesn't mean it's not true. If he doesn't want to play with us, I don't want to waste a top 20 draft pick on him.

Edited by titan_uranus

Let's say he thinks coming to MFC is like a holiday in Hobart and going to Collingwood is like a holiday to Paris. He's not going to sign up for Hobart when he might get to Paris but if that doesn't come off he'll still have a good time in Hobart. I guess the risk is he may end up holidaying in Alberton.

He will remain open slather no matter what Luke or his manager have to say. Its simple really, if melbourne deem him to be the best possible fit for our club then we take him. Stuff what he and his manager have to say, its only an attempt to get himself to collingwood. This is the AFL draft and he cant pick and choose his destination. If we choose him then he will play for us and he will play with passion.

*BUMP*

Port #9 ?

Ess #10 ?

Syd #14 ?

Port #16 ?

Melb #18 ?

North #21 ?

Ess #24?

North #25 ?

Ess #26 ?

Bris #27 ?

Coll #30 ?

I don't think he will get to our 4th pick 18.

I don't think he will get to our 4th pick 18.

who do yo think will snaffle him Red ?

who do yo think will snaffle him Red ?

You threw me with the new avatar or haven't I noticed it .

Not sure but I think Port will have a serious go without the Burgoynes. Sydney also at 14 I think won't pass on him if he is there and if they get really nervous maybe even the Dons at 10 to help out Jobe.

You threw me with the new avatar or haven't I noticed it .

aww..shucks.. brand new today as it haps !! :lol:

Not sure but I think Port will have a serious go without the Burgoynes. Sydney also at 14 I think won't pass on him if he is there and if they get really nervous maybe even the Dons at 10 to help out Jobe.

were my thoughts for a whiles too.. but had the notion Ball wasnt keep to leave Vic.. Be kinda funny though :rolleyes:

I dont think Ess will take with first but would with second if we passed. Port might with 16 if Swans dont with 14... they have money and hed be good on their smaller ground.. his kicking not such a downside.

Cant see him lasting til 18 either ..phew!! ...

There's merit in the idea what Port might take him.

It has been reported they are chasing tough types for their midfield (chasing Jordan Lewis hard in the Burgoyne trade).

I just pray one of these teams does take him that early.

Maybe I undervalue Luke Ball, but I don't want him at the cost of a top 20 pick.

Port re-iterated their interest to Ball's management last week. Genuine or for a scare - who knows?

The funny thing about Port is that they can be a little more philosophical about it all. Even if Ball's management stated his lack of interest, hardly anyone wants to go to Port anyway lol so what do they have to lose? Most players they get would be unhappy on some level. Worse case scenario for them is Ball opts not to play if they pick him which I think is doubtful. If they get at least 2 years out of Ball then they would be pretty satisfied - the team rebuilds, they get a hard at it type and arguably it could possibly be the best 2 years left in Ball anyway. Picks 8 & 9 will be enough for them - they apparently tried to trade 16 for Ball anyway according to a Port BF poster.

Port re-iterated their interest to Ball's management last week. Genuine or for a scare - who knows?

The funny thing about Port is that they can be a little more philosophical about it all. Even if Ball's management stated his lack of interest, hardly anyone wants to go to Port anyway lol so what do they have to lose? Most players they get would be unhappy on some level. Worse case scenario for them is Ball opts not to play if they pick him which I think is doubtful. If they get at least 2 years out of Ball then they would be pretty satisfied - the team rebuilds, they get a hard at it type and arguably it could possibly be the best 2 years left in Ball anyway. Picks 8 & 9 will be enough for them - they apparently tried to trade 16 for Ball anyway according to a Port BF poster.

It all depends on who is picked at 3 through 10. Don't forget there is a timed break after the Top 10 to our next 11. So a lot of number crunching & coffee will be consumed on the 26th.

Guest The Old Xaverian
But if nominates a contract for one year and melbourne draft him he is still on our list...

He is only on your list if he signs a contract with your club.

The question remains, would you want to draft a guy at Pick 11 / Pick 18 who along with his manager, isn't returning phone calls from Melbourne.

He is only on your list if he signs a contract with your club.

The question remains, would you want to draft a guy at Pick 11 / Pick 18 who along with his manager, isn't returning phone calls from Melbourne.

probably the only time I'l ever agree with you :rolleyes::lol:

So many are relying on Stockholm !! :unsure:

It all depends on who is picked at 3 through 10. Don't forget there is a timed break after the Top 10 to our next 11. So a lot of number crunching & coffee will be consumed on the 26th.

TBH I don't see it that way actually with regards to Port. If there was a club out there that wouldn't be swayed on such a decision on picking Ball (based on their previous picks) it would be Port. No matter how 3 through 10 unfolds they will get a quality mid and most probably a quality tall. Although Williams is not their recruiter, I think he would be salivating at the thought of Ball in his midfield where they desperately need a hard and experienced player. Port were/are a rabble and need to arrest a pretty major slide both on and off the ground. Their captain walked out on them, their crowd numbers are dropping and they need to get back on the horse pretty quick. They also had a bumper draft last year for youth stocks.

Just an opinion though, you may well prove to be right mate. :)

TBH I don't see it that way actually with regards to Port. If there was a club out there that wouldn't be swayed on such a decision on picking Ball (based on their previous picks) it would be Port. No matter how 3 through 10 unfolds they will get a quality mid and most probably a quality tall. Although Williams is not their recruiter, I think he would be salivating at the thought of Ball in his midfield where they desperately need a hard and experienced player. Port were/are a rabble and need to arrest a pretty major slide both on and off the ground. Their captain walked out on them, their crowd numbers are dropping and they need to get back on the horse pretty quick. They also had a bumper draft last year for youth stocks.

Just an opinion though, you may well prove to be right mate. :)

i don't disagree with that at all, what i meant i suppose was that if someone pulls a curve ball (pltyer not expected) in that first bunch of picks everyone will have to shuffle their choices.

Port were smart lining up 8-9 though-Gives them real clout on the night. having lost Burgoyne.

i don't disagree with that at all, what i meant i suppose was that if someone pulls a curve ball (pltyer not expected) in that first bunch of picks everyone will have to shuffle their choices.

Port were smart lining up 8-9 though-Gives them real clout on the night. having lost Burgoyne.

No doubt, there can be a trickle down effect to a degree and if you're suggesting that maybe another team could take Ball before Port then I catch your drift. I just think that no matter what Port's expectations or priorities are with 8 & 9 there are enough options there to satisfy them regardless of a possible curve ball. I think they will favour local talent but apart from that no real commitments and by the time pick 16 comes along you'd think it would have equalised a little by then anyway. As you say, 8-9 does give them clout because with back to back picks you'd think they would get at least 1 of their expected prime targets. I think 2 talls with 8 & 9 would be the only unexpected scenario for Port that would alter their tactics down the track but 2 talls won't happen.

I know it's another Luke Ball thread but there have been a few twists in the tale.

Apparently, Ball is going to give the club an audience soon (note he's nominated himself for the ND meaning he's made a written commitment to play for whoever drafts him). Then there's the following story:-

Anyone around here unfortunate enough to travel on Melbourne's suburban rail system?

The newspaper you get outside the station when you travel in and out of the city has this article:-

PIES MAY NOT TAKE CHANCE ON BALL

Collingwood has made no promise to select St. Kilda defector Luke Ball - even if he's still available in this month's national draft.

Collingwood has pick 30 in the draft, but Melbourne is likely to steal the former Saints captain as it has the first two picks, plus numbers 11 and 18, while Essendon has 10, 24 and 26.

Collingwood President Eddie McGuire said the club had still not decided to recruit the 25-year-old, 142 game player.

"We have pick 30 and if he's still there at pick 30, he'll be judged compared to the available talent," McGuire said. "(Recruiting manager) Derek Hine will make the right call at that time if he's available." - MX

Eddie might well be playing poker but one interpretation of his comments is that he's conceding that it's open season for clubs with earlier selections to take the St. Kilda midfielder. Now, it's no longer a case of "don't touch him - he wants to play for Collingwood" but rather that it's open slather because Collingwood might not take him even if he falls to pick 30. In those circumstances Ball has to question where he stands in this draft. The Pies failed to negotiate a trade for him in October and now it's virtually conceding him in November. Now, he could finish anywhere.