• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Luke Ball in the National Draft

Hazyshadeofgrinter

He's a pro. Whoever picks him will get a committed player.

I don't like his attitude. I understand it though.

It is up to BP and TH now, I don't care if Luke Ball doesn't want to come here, I care about what is best for my club - if the boys think he's the best value at 11 or 18 then take him, give him a shirt, and tell him 'that's life.'

Spot on rpfc. People who now hate LB or are over him are so only because of the thousands of posts we have read on this site. He hasn't said ANYTHING about MFC officially. He has a preference - he's not going to get it. MFC will pick him up at 18 and as you said - he is a professional and will perform. Threat to stand out of AFL for a year - ha! Utter BS. He won't throw away $1/2 million and further lower his market value. After the first few matches he will be cheered like all our boys and will soon see we are NOT 5 yrs away. What MFC did with Newton and Meeson was brilliant! It allows us to pick up the best 2 draft picks, a #11, another young project player and the 3 of the best experienced players on the market. Well done Dee's - you know best and realise how weak the next 3 drafts will be. Bring on 2010!

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what's so surprising. I posted some of the following on Oct 24 after a discussion with his manager Paul Connors:

"The Ball Camp:

1. An influential Family member doesn't want Ball to go to Melb. He's done the hard yards at another club and Melb's window for a flag is considered to be at least 5 years away. He's Captained another club and has probably passed the stage in his career where he wants to revisit struggle street, albeit they know Melb's future is very very good.

2. They consider it a "2 to 1 chance" that he'll reach Collingwood in the ND. I was surprised. At this stage, and it could well change as they firm up the chances of reaching C'Wood, the likely scenario is that he'll take his chances in the ND in the belief that he'll get there."

The "influential family member is his Father Ray.

This is no slap in the face to Melbourne and Ball has in no way disrespected the MFC. He just doesn't want to play with us. If I was him I wouldn't either. They have believed for some time that they're "2 to 1" to get to C'Wood at pick 30.

Ball is a fool, for listening to his father,you cant say that its going, to be 5 years before, the dees can win a flag,look at hawthorn they looked like they where 5 year away from the cup,but they picked up two players who changed all that,look if scully,any jack are as good as they look,a flag can came very quickly, when in two to three years, and he will not make it to pies one club will pick him up before pick 30,ball will end up like stevens he lift port then they win a flag, he went to carl,they are no good unit this year then he cant play anymore.

I don't subscribe to the theory from the "anti Ball party" that he doesn't want to play for the MFC. Ball is a 100% pro, an intelligent young man (who aced year 12), never put a foot wrong on and off the field and will represent his new club with the utmost profession. Remember kids, he's not a cancer like Fev, Andrew Lovett or Nathan Carroll.

Also if he really didn't want to play for Melbourne, he'd sit out of footy next year to avoid that possibilty. Luke Ball's Dad appears to be the problem anyway, not Luke Ball.

While not my preferred option, I'd support the club picking up Ball at pick 11*. It would essentially result in a straight swap for Brock "Clanger King" Mclean which doesn't look so bad on paper. We'd still get the big 2 in Scully/Trengove, use pick 18 on the best available or ruckman, draft for needs at 34 and pick up Thorpe in the PSD to strengthen our fwd line. Would cap off Melbourne's best off season in many years.

**The ideal result IMO would be if the MFC picks up Ball at pick 18 so we don't sacrifice the valuable pick 11.

Luke Ball's Dad appears to be the problem anyway, not Luke Ball.

A one liner in a paper somewhere, written by a journalist looking for a controversial angle.

Luke Ball is 25. I've got a son that old and have about as much influence over him and his future intentions as I do over Chris Judd.

A one liner in a paper somewhere, written by a journalist looking for a controversial angle.

Luke Ball is 25. I've got a son that old and have about as much influence over him and his future intentions as I do over Chris Judd.

Maurie different sons react differently. I have a son 27 and I am sure while he may not do exactly what I would want, he would be influenced by my opinion.

I am not blaming Ball's father or Ball for that matter. As I have said repeatedly , he is allowed to do what he wants.

Edited by Redleg

If MFC pick up Luke Ball great.If we don't that is Ok too.

I'm more excited about the prospect of picking up Scully,Trengove and maybe a couple out of Black,Carlisle,Talia,Tapscott,Vardy,Butcher etc.

I really hope the club doesn't use pick 11 or 18 on Luke Ball and focusses on the bigger picture ,which is what they will do as they have held this line the whole way through over the last couple of seasons.

The ideal result IMO would be if the MFC picks up Ball at pick 18 so we don't sacrifice the valuable pick 11.

Spot on - we should use the first 3 (hard earned) picks on new talent - hopefuly Scully, Trengove and the best available KPP (Butcher, Carlisle or Talia)

The ideal result IMO would be if the MFC picks up Ball at pick 18 so we don't sacrifice the valuable pick 11.

Spot on - we should use the first 3 (hard earned) picks on new talent - hopefuly Scully, Trengove and the best available KPP (Butcher, Carlisle or Talia)

The first 2 picks are hard earned, as is pick 18 and pick 1 in the PSD. Pick 11 is a bonus from McLean leaving us. If McLean didn't leave, we wouldn't have that pick, and I can assure you, we wouldn't take Ball at 18! That's why I think picking him up at 11 is a big win for the Club. It doesn't mean we are taking a step backward by recruiting a 25 year old ahead of a 17 year old, just means that we are getting a trade that will take place during draft night (ie trading McLen for Ball).

As I have said, I would rather Vardy/Ball 11/18 (no particular order), and take a punt on a KPF at 34 or 50, as long as we get a ready made KPF in Thorp in the PSD.

I have the same opinion as an earlier post - I'm 2 strokes away at the thought of watching Scully and Trengove next year. If we can jag Ball, Vardy, Thorp and McDonald, Christmas might come early. Either way it's going to be either an excellent draft for us, or one of the Club's greatest drafts. I'm happy with both, prefer the latter.

The first 2 picks are hard earned, as is pick 18 and pick 1 in the PSD. Pick 11 is a bonus from McLean leaving us. If McLean didn't leave, we wouldn't have that pick, and I can assure you, we wouldn't take Ball at 18! That's why I think picking him up at 11 is a big win for the Club. It doesn't mean we are taking a step backward by recruiting a 25 year old ahead of a 17 year old, just means that we are getting a trade that will take place during draft night (ie trading McLen for Ball).

15 more days to go... :(

Incidentally, would picking Ball at 18 rather than 11 be a big win for the club ?

Incidentally, would picking Ball at 18 rather than 11 be a big win for the club ?

If you take out the question of "does he want to play for us", and ignore the apparent weakness of the draft and I would say he is worth an early second round selection. The weaker draft probably slips him just into the late first round zone. Then the question of his disdain for Melbourne; the club needs to assess this themselves. For me though I hope we don't discount the possibility too early.

If I had to call it right now, I would take him at 18, with some trepidation. A big NO to 11.

Ball at pick 18 would be the best possible scenario for the Melbourne footy club. We keep our first 3 picks, snag up a proven quantity (All Australian and B&F) at pick 18, select some smokies at 34 & 50 and take Thorp at PSD 1.

I fail to see how any red blooded Demon fan would be upset at the above outcome when they leave emotion out of it (ie - everyone worrying that Ball doesn't want to play for the MFC)

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

Ball at pick 18 would be the best possible scenario for the Melbourne footy club. We keep our first 3 picks, snag up a proven quantity (All Australian and B&F) at pick 18, select some smokies at 34 & 50 and take Thorpe at PSD 1.

I fail to see how any red blooded Demon fan would be upset at the above outcome when they leave emotion out of it (ie - everyone worrying that Ball doesn't want to play for the MFC)

I don't really want Ball at 18. I don't believe he wants to play for us. According to Jon Ralph's article in today's HUN, if he doesn't like the club he gets picked by, he can apparently walk away from football for a year.

"Ball, 25, could refuse to play for the club that selects him and step out of football for a year until a trade to Collingwood is done.

But in reality that is not a viable option, even though it was raised by those close to Ball yesterday."

I didn't think that was possible. As Tim Harrington said last night, a draft's a draft. When you enter it you are at the mercy of the system. You go where you get picked.

I seriously believe that any mentioning of this club with Ball is purely for the purposes of scaremongering and goading Ball to be taken with a sub 20 pick...even pre-11 thus freeing up other players for us to choose ;)

"Ball, 25, could refuse to play for the club that selects him and step out of football for a year until a trade to Collingwood is done.

But in reality that is not a viable option, even though it was raised by those close to Ball yesterday."

Those close to Ball have caused him enough trouble and grief. If they want to help him, they should butt out and let him run his own life.

Getting Ball at 18 would be a bigger win for the club, although only marginally. Take out the obvious top 2, you then have 3 or 4 players that would fall in to the next bracket, therefore, I don't think there is a huge difference in the quality of the draftee's from around pick 7-20. What we would miss out on at pick 11 (if we were to select Ball there) wont be much different to what we pick up at pick 18. Hope that makes sense, I knew what I was trying to say in my head, seemed difficult to type it out!

Waiting until 18 to get Ball could turn out bad, as clubs have more chance to get him before us (if we really want him). There will certainly be a tall still around at 18, one that some people would have already mentioned in other posts (eg. Butcher, Talia, Panos, Black, Vardy), it's just the unknown as to which one it will be. But as I said, those names have been mentioned by various people in here as "would love to pick up" selections. Instead of having maybe 3 or 4 to chose from at 11, we might just have 1 or 2 to pick from at 18.

Those close to Ball have caused him enough trouble and grief. If they want to help him, they should butt out and let him run his own life.

i agree. who are these idiots.

they have hardly assisted his position. and publically suggesting for a player in what should be the prime years of his career to sit out for a year is sheer stupidity. and how do they think that he will get to collingwood then? they aren't going to finish on the bottom of the ladder...

at 25 you should be able to make your own decisions and not rely on your dad.

Getting Ball at 18 would be a bigger win for the club, although only marginally. Take out the obvious top 2, you then have 3 or 4 players that would fall in to the next bracket, therefore, I don't think there is a huge difference in the quality of the draftee's from around pick 7-20. What we would miss out on at pick 11 (if we were to select Ball there) wont be much different to what we pick up at pick 18. Hope that makes sense, I knew what I was trying to say in my head, seemed difficult to type it out!

Waiting until 18 to get Ball could turn out bad, as clubs have more chance to get him before us (if we really want him). There will certainly be a tall still around at 18, one that some people would have already mentioned in other posts (eg. Butcher, Talia, Panos, Black, Vardy), it's just the unknown as to which one it will be. But as I said, those names have been mentioned by various people in here as "would love to pick up" selections. Instead of having maybe 3 or 4 to chose from at 11, we might just have 1 or 2 to pick from at 18.

Completely disagree.

Its about having our choice of those players who are around the same mark, not taking the one that's left after everyone else has had a crack.

For that matter, I don't think Ball is worth either pick 11 or 18.

The positives he will bring to the team will be outweighed by the positives a kid taken with those picks could bring.

They'd also have another 7 or so years of playing on him, if they can make the grade.

Ball's career will be well & truly winding up by the time we are properly contending.

I don't see him having that great an impact on the MFC.

In fact I see him only playing a couple of years before dropping off the list due to being injury-plagued.

Guest melbman
I seriously believe that any mentioning of this club with Ball is purely for the purposes of scaremongering and goading Ball to be taken with a sub 20 pick...even pre-11 thus freeing up other players for us to choose ;)

Very cunning and there could well be truth in that. I know I'd do the same if in the Dees shoes, talk him up and hope someone else takes the bait

Very cunning and there could well be truth in that. I know I'd do the same if in the Dees shoes, talk him up and hope someone else takes the bait

I should have added the word..NOW !! lol

Originally I think we were dead serious about getting him but since weve been spurned I think the club is turning that into a draft weapon of sorts. Why not :lol: Only the club will actually know.. all other clubs, well those interested either in Ball or anyone we are likley to draft after 1 and 2, will not know whether we are bluffing, serious or silly...or what ;) We know who we're after...they dont !! :rolleyes:

Nothing like blindsiding your oppositon B)

Guest The Old Xaverian

Ball could also refuse to sign a contract from Melbourne (which he is entitled to do) after being drafted by them (which is the waste of a pick) & be forced into the PSD.

Ball could also refuse to sign a contract from Melbourne (which he is entitled to do) after being drafted by them (which is the waste of a pick) & be forced into the PSD.

Well then, you're back.

Yes, you've confirmed exactly what I already said. Thanks.

Tell me, as a Collingwood supporter, do you want Ball?

Surely all of this grandstanding over picking up Ball in the draft is now a waste of time. Picking him up with a free crack in the PSD is one thing, but wasting an extremely valuable pick in 11 or 18 on a guy who will struggle to get a game with us in 3 or 4 years time when we're in flag mode would be an absolute joke and the sort of short-sighted list management that costs a club dearly. I don't mind the club considering all their options carefully, but I will be absolutely livid if we pick up Ball at 18. He will not be the difference between us winning a flag and not. Will the kid we pick at 18be that difference? Who knows. It's a riskier choice but a far better option in my opinion, one far more likely to lead to a flag, rather than a slightly better ladder position for the next 3 years.

Surely all of this grandstanding over picking up Ball in the draft is now a waste of time. Picking him up with a free crack in the PSD is one thing, but wasting an extremely valuable pick in 11 or 18 on a guy who will struggle to get a game with us in 3 or 4 years time when we're in flag mode would be an absolute joke and the sort of short-sighted list management that costs a club dearly. I don't mind the club considering all their options carefully, but I will be absolutely livid if we pick up Ball at 18. He will not be the difference between us winning a flag and not. Will the kid we pick at 18be that difference? Who knows. It's a riskier choice but a far better option in my opinion, one far more likely to lead to a flag, rather than a slightly better ladder position for the next 3 years.

I feel much the same way. If it was the PSD, and he was the best player available, then I'd be happy. But I don't think Ball is good enough, or will give enough to the club, to warrant using Pick 18, or even worse, Pick 11.

Not to mention the fact that all sources point to Ball not wanting to be a Demon.