Luke Ball in the National Draft

Hazyshadeofgrinter

I think it's all been said... My 2 cents is that we shouldn't pick him under any circumstances. He will be finished as an effective player in 2 yrs which is why he is pushing to get to a club closer to sept action. He knows it and it's that simple. He ain't that good 22 rounds a year (yes good grand final) but he is not on the park enough.

It would be a terrible waste for us to o

pick him. Also a great opportunity for DB to show the playing group wo saying anything that even given the opportunity MFC don't just settle for anyone. There are 2 camps those that are with us and those who aren't.....

There that's out of my system. No more time wasted on LB for me!

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddie is just being Eddie.

Luke Ball is a smart guy. He wouldnt just enter the draft with no guarantees. Whether thats from the Pies, Essendon or Brisbane, im sure he has a very good idea of where he is going to end up. His management would have spoken in depth with all clubs.

I think Essendon is the dark horse here.

Eddie is just being Eddie.

Luke Ball is a smart guy. He wouldnt just enter the draft with no guarantees. Whether thats from the Pies, Essendon or Brisbane, im sure he has a very good idea of where he is going to end up. His management would have spoken in depth with all clubs.

I think Essendon is the dark horse here.

agree

Of course it's open slather.

I'll say North at pick 21.

we alll ( well many of us ) seem to think we'll pass at 18.

I cant see any team using their first pick on Ball. nth and ess are in the 20's.. In rethinking Syd have their second at 14...would they...now with Kenelly back ? Im not sure if the Roos have expressed any real interest..essendon have.

I just get the idea that Nth are too short on stocks and too far from real competition to fuss over ball

I think if not us...then ess

Article: Port Adelaide to decide on whether to make a grab for ex-Saint Luke Ball

I wouldn't count them out just yet. Money and relocation seem to be 2 issues and then most importantly where Ball fits in their plans. Burgoyne would have freed up a fair bit of coin so that shouldn't be too big an issue. Relocation is a sticking point for discussion but I can't see them relenting to that if they really want him. As far as their direction goes, Rhode mentions a priority for youth yet they still tried to trade pick 16 for Ball anyway (apparently) so you take that with a grain of salt. They actually have a lack of quality experienced players and may lose a few more at the end of next year as well.

Article: Port Adelaide to decide on whether to make a grab for ex-Saint Luke Ball

I wouldn't count them out just yet. Money and relocation seem to be 2 issues and then most importantly where Ball fits in their plans. Burgoyne would have freed up a fair bit of coin so that shouldn't be too big an issue. Relocation is a sticking point for discussion but I can't see them relenting to that if they really want him. As far as their direction goes, Rhode mentions a priority for youth yet they still tried to trade pick 16 for Ball anyway (apparently) so you take that with a grain of salt. They actually have a lack of quality experienced players and may lose a few more at the end of next year as well.

hmmm...interesting.. be funny wouldnt it...going to Port @16 !! They are now short on gun mids and will want to reverse their slide asap.. That would be hilarious for mine...and a deserving result ;)

looks like he might go further than Tulla.. and actually get on a plane :lol:

Edited by belzebub59

hmmm...interesting.. be funny wouldnt it...going to Port @16 !! They are now short on gun mids and will want to reverse their slide asap.. That would be hilarious for mine...and a deserving result ;)

looks like he might go further than Tulla.. and actually get on a plane :lol:

Funny?... mate, it would be ****ing hilarious!!! :lol: Makes for a great draft for us too.

I have no doubt that if Williams gets his way then Ball is in teal. The only factor is if the club over rules Williams like they did with the captaincy this year. Seriously, I can picture Williams grinning ear to ear if they get Ball, it makes his job way easier and (not that this is a rationale for them picking him) nothing would give him greater pleasure than spiting Collingwood after the Nick Stevens affair.

I'm sick of hearing about Luke Ball.

If he nominates for the PSD he is ours (which he didn't)

If he nominates for the ND he isn't ours (which he did)

If we end up taking him with ANY of our picks I will be mightily pi$$ed off.

Forget about him and move on FCS.

Edited by Harcourt

I'm sick of hearing about Luke Ball.

If he nominates for the PSD he is ours (which he didn't)

If he nominates for the ND he isn't ours (which he did)

If we end up taking him with ANY of our picks I will be mightily pi$$ed off.

Forget about him and move on FCS.

Not a fan of this attitude. He doesn't want to be at the MFC, I realise that. But he isn't the one in control; our recruiting have more control over his destiny than he does.

He is trying to manipulate the situation by not meeting with anyone - I don't care.

If he is seen as the best way to spend Pick 18 then so be it.

I only care about improving my club, I couldn't care less about his intentions or 'what he has done to us.'

Ball at North would replace the hole vacated by Adam Simpson I would have thought. A tough leader in the midfield. Would fit in nicely.

point taken...should have phrased differently... I would think Nth might consider more long term than Ball.. trying to get more 10 year players into the mix rather than 3-5 year ones ( as per Ball ) Nth must surely be facing a major rebuild

we alll ( well many of us ) seem to think we'll pass at 18.

I cant see any team using their first pick on Ball. nth and ess are in the 20's.. In rethinking Syd have their second at 14...would they...now with Kenelly back ? Im not sure if the Roos have expressed any real interest..essendon have.

I just get the idea that Nth are too short on stocks and too far from real competition to fuss over ball

I think if not us...then ess

I don't see us picking up Ball with 11, but if Sydney or PA hasn't pulled the trigger I believe that the FD will have a decision to make at Pick 18.

I only care about improving my club, I couldn't care less about his intentions or 'what he has done to us.'

Is it just me or are you whistling a different tune to what you were a few weeks ago? I thought I remembered you saying just the opposite.

FWIW I don't think he's worth Pick 18, whether he wants us or not. The fact that he (seemingly) doesn't want to play for us just enhances that idea.

If he ends up at Port he is well and truly screwed (no flag prospects, playing at a club his manager said nobody wants to play for, and having to live in SA), and to be honest, I wouldn't really feel sorry for him.

You make your bed...

Just please don't take him at 18 Melbourne!

People are forgetting that we got pick 11 for McLean?! Ball is a million times better player than chook will ever be - so if we did happen to use pick 11 to get him, then we wouldn't have lost anything.

I'd say MFC haven't lost anything now, with the Mclean deal.

Luke Ball is the same type of player and picking him with 11, would be going backwards IMO.

Is it just me or are you whistling a different tune to what you were a few weeks ago? I thought I remembered you saying just the opposite.

FWIW I don't think he's worth Pick 18, whether he wants us or not. The fact that he (seemingly) doesn't want to play for us just enhances that idea.

My view before he went into the ND was that if he went into the ND he saw going to the MFC as something akin to retirement. That hasn't changed.

He doesn't want to be here.

I don't care.

If the footy club see him as the best option at 18 then take him, and tell him to suck it up.

In terms of worth - it is a question for BP and where he rates the available talent.

All I am saying is that nothing has happened to change my view that Luke Ball shouldn't be dictating the recruitment philosophy of my club.

Guest The Old Xaverian
When was the Last time Collingwood Traded Fairly?

We gave up Rhyce Shaw last year for Pick 46. In 09, Shaw finished 2nd in Sydney's B&F, was appointed in their onfield leadership group & was one of the best performed HBF's in the AFL. You can virtually rule out Essendon now given McPhee (who is managed by Connors) is still on their list & Richardson saying they will only entertain Ball if he does the same, given he is Hong Kong, & won't return calls from Essendon, he is on his way to Collingwood (according to Richardson).

Edited by The Old Xaverian

You can virtually rule out Essendon now given McPhee (who is managed by Connors) is still on their list & Richardson saying they will only entertain Ball if he does the same, given he is Hong Kong, & won't return calls from Essendon, he is on his way to Collingwood (according to Richardson).

McPhee not leaving Essendon means nothing atm. If he leaves, he will go PSD to ensure he gets to Fremantle. Today's list lodgement was for the list prior to the ND. McPhee (and those like him) have until December 2 to nominate for the PSD. Which means, if he still wants to, he can leave Essendon sometime over the next 3 weeks and go to Fremantle.

If he chooses to do this, and makes his decison before the ND, Essendon may well consider taking Ball at 10. That would be stupid IMO, but they might nonetheless.

Ball will not get to your mob.

My view before he went into the ND was that if he went into the ND he saw going to the MFC as something akin to retirement. That hasn't changed.

He doesn't want to be here.

I don't care.

If the footy club see him as the best option at 18 then take him, and tell him to suck it up.

In terms of worth - it is a question for BP and where he rates the available talent.

All I am saying is that nothing has happened to change my view that Luke Ball shouldn't be dictating the recruitment philosophy of my club.

Let's not forget something important Here.

Luke Ball is ultimately employed by the AFL, where he plays next is dictated by AFL Rules.

A Player should not Dictate the terms, although i am still trying to work out how Ju$$ got to Carlton with the minimum of fuss.

How deep the draft goes will Dictate where Luke goes.

Now i am putting my Trust in the FD on this one, if we have the chance to pick up Luke but pass-Fair enough, but the young kid we take better be a good one because Ball is ready to play Round 1 next year

and we need to start winning. A young kid may take 3-4 years to even play. We have 4 picks. in the top 20.

3 high Draft Kids & one seasoned player who played in last years GF kinda sits ok with me.

But the FD know way more than me-so i sit......

Edited by why you little

A Player should not Dictate the terms, although i am still trying to work out how Ju$$ got to Carlton with the minimum of fuss.

Judd was traded. Completely different to Ball. Judd told West Coast where he wanted to go, West Coast then knew that Carlton would basically do anything other than trade Pick 1 to get him. West Coast named their price, Carlton paid it. No problems there.