Norm Smith- Red Fox

Guest DemonDefined

Guest DemonDefined

Is it worth the cash, and an entertaining read? Thinking about buying it in th city tommorow can I have some reviews?

Edited by DemonDefined

Is it worth the cash, and an entertaining read? Thinking about buying it in th city tommorow can I have some reviews?

If you like a bit of nostalgia and history of the Melbourne Footy Club, it's brilliant. I couldn't put it down!

steady on rogue. I didnt want to bump year old threads

Why not?

FWIW, Red Fox is a very good read to give a history of the great man and MFC. Its also a good snapshot of inner suburban Melbourne during much of the last century.

If you dont want to buy it...its sure to be on the list at your local library.

A good read.

Best researched football book I have read and terrific to be reminded about old Demon characters who put so much into the club.

Not especially well written since some passages are patchy with too many partial quotes and or over-burdened with statistics but that's a style criticism.

The content is very good and it's interesting to read about the working class roots of the Smiths and speculate about why the old Fox did not get on so well with the MFC/MCC committee.

I have bought multiple copies to give away - buy it from the club.

steady on rogue. I didnt want to bump year old threads

Good man - neither do I.

However:

Just because you read an old thread doesn't mean you will bump it...

You wanted opinions and opinions on the book had been posted previously.

• 2 months later...

With time on my hands over the Christmas/New year period, I picked up my copy of the “Red Fox” and re-read it.

Over 750 pages were read in 4 days – must be because it was just me and the missus this year and no-one else – and enjoyed every word of it, even more than the first time. I went from feeling elation at the wonderful feats of this club legend, to anger over the way he was treated and ultimately sacked by the club – wounds that never really healed – and shed tears on reading of his death and the eulogy given by the former Melbourne player and Minister, Ken Melville. But most of all, I marveled at the man’s football brain. While it is now a long time ago, Norm, together with his more sedate brother Len, were masters at the game and arguably the architects of the foundations of the modern game.

Some of the facts that are worth remembering are that Norm was born in the working class hamlet of Dennis, within the city of Northcote and later he settled with his wife Marj in Pascoe Vale, where he spent the rest of his life. I hate to say it, but Norm was a mad Collingwood supporter before he was recruited to the Dees and would regularly catch the train from Dennis Station to Victoria Park to watch his heroes train under Jock McHale. ----------- So, so much for the “toff” and “silver tail” tags. Norm Smith was born and died a Northern Suburbs boy, although his heart was always with the Melbourne Football Club and in particular his players. As hard a nut as he was, he loved them and despite the sprays they received, the players loved him. While not always the most talented side in the competition, the playing group rose to such heights because they would crawl over broken glass for him. Such was the devotion to the man.

Norm Smith played or coached in 10 of our 12 flags – 4 as a player and 6 as a coach. The Melbourne Football Club still remains the only VFL/AFL club to twice have a hat trick of premierships.

When Norm retired as a player and then narrowly missed the coaching job to Allan La Fontaine, he spent a brief period coaching a struggling Fitzroy, a club his older brother Len would later coach. While his success was moderate, he had a struggling club reach the finals for the first time since 1944. He left Fitzroy with the respect of his players and staff intact. After his departure from the Roys, Norm returned to his spiritual home to begin his now legendary coaching career.

Norm had inherited an ageing list at Melbourne and began a re-building phase – sound familiar? However, no-one; not even the great Norm Smith, could have anticipated the meteoric rise to premiership greatness, in such a relatively short period of time.

Every Melbourne supporter –young or old – should read this fine piece of history. Sure, it’s a large book, but if your heart has ever waivered, during our lean times, this book will make sure it beats true for a long time to come.

In a lot ways the demise of Norm Smith was tragic and the MFC should be at pains to never let that part of our history repeat itself, but in the end, reading the Red Fox makes you bloody proud you’re a Demons supporter.

Go you mighty Demons.

Edited by iv'a worn smith

I bought it for my brother for christmas, was too lazy to send it overseas to him. So I started reading it myself.

It is a strange thing, for the most part it is just a historical account from a time before I was born, I was concerned about it being relevant to me because my connection with the MFC began well after Norm was playing or coaching. But it is great, it really gives the club a context, and I am certain that without Smith the club wouldn't exist today.

$50 well spent.

Go on spoil yourself, and the club:

Click here to buy it from the MFC

Edit: To my brother: Xmas present is at my place, too hard to send, you'll get it when you get back.

Edited by JACKATTACK

I hope Dean Bailey Re read the Red Fox over the Summer break...his situation has many similarities to what Norm had at the beginning of 1953.

I have been very impressed with how DB has carried himself over the last 2 years. He has a toughness about him that we need

2010 is going to be his important year i believe. Be inspired by the Red Fox DB, push those players hard but with respect.

As of Saturday morning Norm Smith's tome lies in the bargain basket in a Warragul bookshop going for the princely sum of $25. I read Red Fox a year or more ago and it is undoubtedly part of the brickwork which will again raise this club upward. This publication just would not have come out in the 70's, 80's or 90's. Our club was essentially a death star from mid-65 until late in the '87 season. Red Fox connects the generations, and explains how our club history is woven. It is a page-turner (for a demon supporter, anyway) which gives a balanced appraisal of the Smith legacy. Smith was a hard man who probably made enough enemies to ensure his ultimate downfall. His spirit i am sure has lived on in modern day heroes (read: Jim Stynes) and the lesson of this book is that we don't need him to continue to wallow as a martyr in order to restore the MFC to its premiership gloss. (sub-edited by Sparkling Cockatoo Ridge, signing out, Bush Demon.

As of Saturday morning Norm Smith's tome lies in the bargain basket in a Warragul bookshop going for the princely sum of $25. I read Red Fox a year or more ago and it is undoubtedly part of the brickwork which will again raise this club upward. This publication just would not have come out in the 70's, 80's or 90's. Our club was essentially a death star from mid-65 until late in the '87 season. Red Fox connects the generations, and explains how our club history is woven. It is a page-turner (for a demon supporter, anyway) which gives a balanced appraisal of the Smith legacy. Smith was a hard man who probably made enough enemies to ensure his ultimate downfall. His spirit i am sure has lived on in modern day heroes (read: Jim Stynes) and the lesson of this book is that we don't need him to continue to wallow as a martyr in order to restore the MFC to its premiership gloss. (sub-edited by Sparkling Cockatoo Ridge, signing out, Bush Demon.

:lol: Enjoy.

Good summary.