2010 list scenarios

Hiram Cowfreak

With the delisting of Buckley for pick 34 and the option to delist Bartram to make room for Ball/Smith with our PSD pick, we effectively would delist 2 players who can't kick.

The way I would like to see the cards fall for us is:

1 Scully

2 Trengove

11 Butcher or if gone, Jetta

18 Jetta or if gone, best available of the tall forwards (Talia, Griffiths atc)

34 Dylan Grimes or a ruckman - Vardy (probably gone) or Gawn (a leviathan)

Then PSD Ball if he wants to play with the dees or Smith ( our medicos can use him for training purposes)

And for our rookies...do GC get the first 5 rookie choices? If we can it would be great to have some of Majak Daw, Serhat Termel, LJ's cousin (plays on the forward line in the NT comp) and Johnny Bennell

Any thoughts?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the delisting of Buckley for pick 34 and the option to delist Bartram to make room for Ball/Smith with our PSD pick, we effectively would delist 2 players who can't kick.

The way I would like to see the cards fall for us is:

1 Scully

2 Trengove

11 Butcher or if gone, Jetta

18 Jetta or if gone, best available of the tall forwards (Talia, Griffiths atc)

34 Dylan Grimes or a ruckman - Vardy (probably gone) or Gawn (a leviathan)

Then PSD Ball if he wants to play with the dees or Smith ( our medicos can use him for training purposes)

And for our rookies...do GC get the first 5 rookie choices? If we can it would be great to have some of Majak Daw, Serhat Termel, LJ's cousin (plays on the forward line in the NT comp) and Johnny Bennell

Any thoughts?

Lets just leave jesse Smith Alone ok...Walk Away from that one. He won't ply more than 10 more AFL Games.

Wow. WOuldn't Smith be piiiiiiissed if we took him! He'd go from the club with the worst medical facilities to the club with the second worst. :D

Methinks Roos fans would delight in that one.

First things first.

I'm afraid I can't get too excited about the balance of our picks at this stage . I just wonder how many picks we are going to have. If we promote Spencer and leave a spot in the PSD, then we are going to have to delist three more players.

I just hope hope that we can pick up 2 quality talls at 11 and 18

First things first.

I'm afraid I can't get too excited about the balance of our picks at this stage . I just wonder how many picks we are going to have. If we promote Spencer and leave a spot in the PSD, then we are going to have to delist three more players.

I just hope hope that we can pick up 2 quality talls at 11 and 18

Spencer can stay as 3rd year rookie, rules have been confirmed.

Great news we can re-rookie Spencer, he needs a lot more time.

I think we need to draft another ruckman this draft, either PJ will get paid out (which I think might end up happening) or there will be some bloodletting at the end of 2010 with all our rucks (except Martin) coming out of contract...I still think a premiership side needs an elite ruckman. I wonder if Nathan Vardy has that potential?

My observations over the last few years of our ruck squad are:

Russian - years of frustration but his few games this year gave me genuine pleasure watching him play..especially when he kicked 5 right under our sunny bar/window at Colonial (?) stadium against the blues. Surprised we only gave him one year, i have watched his confidance grow over the last 3 seasons and I'm glad we have stuck with him

PJ - quick, strong, beautiful kick. Just can't mark, which is fatal for a ruckman/forward

Meeson - much maligned before debut but seems to have something. Looking forward to seeing what that is next season

Spencer - just dunno. Energetic, big, long term potential

Martin - has some potential as a 2nd ruck, but I think he will end up a FF/CHF

Now we can keep Spencer and make a decision on Vardy/Gawn (anyone else?) in the ND if it is a priority

My crystall ball tells me:

Pick 1 - Tom Scully (Melb)

Pick 2 - Jack Trengove (Melb)

Pick 3 - Dustin Martin (Rich)

Pick 4 - Anthony Marobito (Freo)

Pick 5 - Gary Rohan (North)

Pick 6 - Ben Cunnington (Sydney)

Pick 7 - Kane Lucas (WCE)

Pick 8 - Luke Tapscott (Port)

Pick 9 - Lewis Jetta (Port)

Pick 10 - John Buther (Essendon)

Pick 11 - Jake Carlisle (Melb)

Pick 12 - Sheppard (Carlt)

Pick 13 - Melksham (Adelaide)

Pick 14 - Moore (Collingwood)

Pick 15 - James Talia (W Bulldogs)

Pick 16 - Taylor (Essendon)

Pick 17 - Nathan Vardy (Geelong)

Pick 18 - Allen Christensen (Melbourne)

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

Guest hangon007
My crystall ball tells me:

Pick 1 - Tom Scully (Melb)

Pick 2 - Jack Trengove (Melb)

Pick 3 - Dustin Martin (Rich)

Pick 4 - Anthony Marobito (Freo)

Pick 5 - Gary Rohan (North)

Pick 6 - Ben Cunnington (Sydney)

Pick 7 - Kane Lucas (WCE)

Pick 8 - Luke Tapscott (Port)

Pick 9 - Lewis Jetta (Port)

Pick 10 - John Buther (Essendon)

Pick 11 - Jake Carlisle (Melb)

Pick 12 - Sheppard (Carlt)

Pick 13 - Melksham (Adelaide)

Pick 14 - Moore (Collingwood)

Pick 15 - James Talia (W Bulldogs)

Pick 16 - Taylor (Essendon)

Pick 17 - Nathan Vardy (Geelong)

Pick 18 - Allen Christensen (Melbourne)

This is becoming the footy forums excepted draft order and they are starting to all look very similar - almost like a general consensus theory as the weeks have gone past. Now thats not a criticism of anyone more a statement of how I see it. I'm also not saying its right or its wrong.

However, I do hope we dont go down this track ... I'm hoping we are lucky enough to complete or middle-field with Pick 11 and target our talls with picks 18 & 34. I would then also target talls with all future or rookie picks.

However, and there all must be a however. ;) I'm would always consider an exception to the my "theory". I would only make an exception if the Tall was "best available" So in theory I hope we enter the draft with 2 specific paths with Pick 18 being our swing pick unless the best available was a tall at 11.

Now just with your draft ... I personally would prefer

11/ Melksham (Melbourne)

Then maybe target a tall at 18/ Just as an example hope Carlisle slides but I also do like Black he fits all our "criteria" and think 18 is good value for him.

This is relevant: -

Melbourne's current list (as it currently stands) : -

MELBOURNE

1. Bail, Rohan

2. Bartram, Clint

3. Bate, Matthew

4. Bell, Daniel

5. Bennell, Jamie

6. Blease, Sam

7. Bruce, Cameron

8. Cheney, Kyle

9. Davey, Aaron

10. Dunn, Lynden

11. Frawley, James

12. Garland, Colin

13. Green, Brad

14. Grimes, Jack

15. Jamar, Mark

16. Jetta, Neville

17. Johnson, Paul

18. Jones, Nathan

19. Jurrah, Liam

20. Maric, Addam

21. Martin, Stefan

22. McDonald, James (veteran – outside list)

23. McNamara, Tom

24. Meesen, John

25. Miller, Brad

26. Moloney, Brent

27. Morton, Cale

28. Newton, Michael

29. Petterd, Ricky

30. Rivers, Jared

31. Strauss, James

32. Sylvia, Colin

33. Warnock, Matthew

34. Watts, Jack

35. Wonaeamirri, Austin

Rookie List

1. Healey, Rhys

2. Hughes, Daniel

3. McKenzie, Jordie

4. Spencer, Jake

5. Zomer, Trent

ADDITIONS

Father-Son selection: –

Exchange period: –

Rookie elevation:

Scholarship elevation:

NAB AFL Draft:

International rookie selection:

Three-year non-registered player selection:

NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft:

NAB AFL Rookie Draft:

DELETIONS

Retired: Paul Wheatley, Matthew Whelan

Exchange period: Brock McLean (Carlton)

Delisted: Simon Buckley, Robertson, Russell (veteran – outside list), Shane Valenti (rookie)

*From afl.com.au

Link: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tab...55/default.aspx

Edited by High Tower

What is all this talk about player being bought out Ravi?? We are not the New York Knicks, we do not have a magic bag that contains funds for such an exercise!

PJ will play on. Like Meesen, PJ is playing for his career. Spencer just needs to outperform either PJ or Meesen and he will claim their spot for 2011.

As for the draft, who knows what will happen. I really want Vardy at pick 18.

What is all this talk about player being bought out Ravi?? We are not the New York Knicks, we do not have a magic bag that contains funds for such an exercise!

PJ will play on. Like Meesen, PJ is playing for his career. Spencer just needs to outperform either PJ or Meesen and he will claim their spot for 2011.

Its called a rumour.

Unless there is a serious behavioural issue with a player, I cant see how MFC can seek AFL approval to pay out a player because "he is no good" and then apply to the AFL for special funding.

MFC just looks financially and operationally incompetent to the AFL. We then look dishonourable to players and their managers when we dont honour the terms of the contract.

Unless there are very special and unique circumstances (eg Carroll) and I dont there is, MFC wont be paying out contracts early.

However at the end of 2010, I think there a number of players including ruckmen whose contracts are up for expiry and who in some cases wont be re contracted for further service.

And anyone that follows the NBA knows how well thats worked out for the Knicks...

there are no shortcuts

Yeah Rhino you make some good points there. It would send a pretty bad message to our other contracted players as well.

I hope we can pick up a good ruckman in this draft, he could be occupational therapy for Jimma

bartram and one other to get the boot i reckon!

dont know who?

maybe Dunn?

Has to be Bartram for one.

If we are not going to pay out anyone then McNamara will have to be the other. Herein lies the problem - because at 19 McNamara has shown enough to have his contract renewed. Presumably we would try to re-rookie him...........

Guest hangon007
Has to be Bartram for one.

If we are not going to pay out anyone then McNamara will have to be the other. Herein lies the problem - because at 19 McNamara has shown enough to have his contract renewed. Presumably we would try to re-rookie him...........

Very risky strategy ... ie delisting McNamara from your senior list if you indeed you wanted to keep him. He would have to nominate for a draft and we could lose him for nothing.

Very risky strategy ... ie delisting McNamara from your senior list if you indeed you wanted to keep him. He would have to nominate for a draft and we could lose him for nothing.

Assuming that McNamara (or any other senior player we wanted to move to our rookie list) somehow made it through the ND to the rookie draft, would we be able to pre-select them? With re-rookieing existing rookies we can preselect 1 of them I beleive.

Edited by 1858

Its not really a full on reliable sauce and I don't like to reveal msyelf as a facebook stalker, but ppl have written on Tom McNamara's personal facebook page congratulating him on his new contract.

That would have to mean something... (even if it only means he's been lying to his mates telling them he's signed up long-term)

I think we'd be likely to give him a bit longer to prove he's got the good stuff.

He could be a bloody good HFF I reckon

Guest hangon007
Assuming that McNamara (or any other senior player we wanted to move to our rookie list) somehow made it through the ND to the rookie draft, would we be able to pre-select them? With re-rookieing existing rookies we can preselect 1 of them I beleive.

Ok ... two points

a/ as you said he would have to obviously make it through the ND ... which IMHO would be a massive risk in this draft he would be a good pick up 50-60 ish

b/ pre-selected rookies have been in the past a trade-off for your number of veterans ie 2 Veterans = 0 preselected rookies or 1 veteran = 1 preselected rookie etc.

However, I've not read the new rookie rules so I'm not saying thats definitely the case this year

However, assuming nothing has changed there - wanting to pre-select McNamara would come at the cost of retaining Bruce on our full-list which means no pick 34 or PSD1 I would suspect and suggest is not our desired option.

Edited by hangon007

Ok ... two points

a/ as you said he would have to obviously make it through the ND ... which IMHO would be a massive risk in this draft he would be a good pick up 50-60 ish

b/ pre-selected rookies have been in the past a trade-off for your number of veterans ie 2 Veterans = 0 preselected rookies or 1 veteran = 1 preselected rookie etc.

However, I've not read the new rookie rules so I'm not saying thats definitely the case this year

However, assuming nothing has changed there - wanting to pre-select McNamara would come at the cost of retaining Bruce on our full-list which means no pick 34 or PSD1 I would suspect and suggest is not our desired option.

We do have a problem. Bartram is the only out of contract player most of us would delist.It seems our only options are undesirable

- Bite the bullet with McNamara;

- Pay out a contracted player; or

- Pass up Pick 34 ( or PSD)