Port Offered us Picks 8 and 9 for pick 2

Satan

to try and snare trengove according to the HS . We knocked back the offer. ( Can draft picks be swapped? if not then the story is lacking the player in the swap to make the deal above board).

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jack...f-1225786427512

(corrected spelling for Hightower :lol: )

Edited by Satan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, draft picks can be swapped, and were swapped this year.

Not surprised by the offer... Sydney made a similar request to Richmond for pick 3. Thing with this draft is, if you don't have a top 4 or 5 pick, your chance of picking up an elite player is slim... on the flipside if you do have a top 4 or 5 pick you are more guaranteed than any other draft in history to recruit an elite player. That's how the clubs see this draft... extremely strong early on (1-5), good to average after that (6-15), and the rest is a lucky dip. We've certainly hit the jackpot this year with our picks... I don't think people realise just how good picks 1 and 2 are this year compared with previous years.

to try and snare trengrove according to the HS . We knocked back the offer. ( Can draft picks be swapped? if not then the story is lacking the player in the swap to make the deal above board).

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jack...f-1225786427512

This is driving me nuts now.

It's not just you satan. It's the bloody Herald Sun too - *See heading of article* -

Check spelling on Trengove.

Hello...

It is TRENGOVE.

All this really tells us is the dees have picks 1&2 locked with players, and port still is unsure who they will be taking with those picks. Obviously hard to lock picks 8 & 9 as the pick before them determine who is available, what it does tell us is that picks 1 & 2 seem to be head of the class.

In an uncompromised draft we would have been stupid not to take this deal, in a draft stunted for talent I understand and support the dees holding on to the first two picks this year.

I am wondering how picks 11, 18 and 34 pan out for us.

All this really tells us is the dees have picks 1&2 locked with players, and port still is unsure who they will be taking with those picks. Obviously hard to lock picks 8 & 9 as the pick before them determine who is available, what it does tell us is that picks 1 & 2 seem to be head of the class.

Not necessarily. Port may well know but it depends on who is available. I am trying to think of a year where picks 1 & 2 werent seemingly head of the class

In an uncompromised draft we would have been stupid not to take this deal, in a draft stunted for talent I understand and support the dees holding on to the first two picks this year.

An uncompromised draft does not ensure that is no or a lesser gap than this year between picks 1 and 2 and 8&9.

This is driving me nuts now.

It's not just you satan. It's the bloody Herald Sun too - *See heading of article* -

Check spelling on Trengove.

Hello...

It is TRENGOVE.

When you read it do you actually get frustrated? or is it more of a comical thing?

You can't be that anal.

Edited by Mr Morton

When you read it do you actually get frustrated? or is it more of a comical thing?

Didn't bother me for a while until now. Once I saw the article posted it was frustration for the first time. More annoying than comical. I have the feeling this will be a regular occurrence over his career. Much like Russell Robinson.

So I'll take a deep breath from here on in.

Didn't bother me for a while until now. Once I saw the article posted it was frustration for the first time. More annoying than comical. I have the feeling this will be a regular occurrence over his career. Much like Russell Robinson.

Brent Maloney

[/q

Take a huuuuuge breath because no doubt you will be hearing it a lot in the future. He may as well change his name by depol to Trengrove to spare the frustration.

Take a huuuuuge breath because no doubt you will be hearing it a lot in the future. He may as well change his name by depol to Trengrove to spare the frustration.

You mean like deed poll did?

Pick 8 + 9 for 2 is a big offer

A bit like Sydney's 6 + 14 for Richmoond's 3

It's going to be interesting to see how the 1st round pans out over time given these offers to get into the pointy end.

Edited by old55

If there was ever a draft to have the top two picks in, this is it.

Last year it was an small incremental decline as you went down the pecking order, right from number 1.

This year there really seems to be these two absolute standouts. Everyone else has either slid down the order (e.g. Butcher) or is considered very good but not at that 'super' level.

2009 also looks like a very good draft to have first round picks rather than second round, again there is a 'dip' it seems.

And might just be a very good draft to have PSD Pick 1. Best since the last time Collingwood were told to F off at the trade table. :)

There are usually tiers of quality early in the draft with a few standouts. Since 2000 I think there is a line that you can draw on most drafts. This doesn't mean that there aren't really good players available afterwards, but the obvious elite talent falls off.

2000 - Riewoldt, Kosi, Didak ............ Livingston, McDougall.

2001- Hodge, Ball, Judd .............. Polak, X Clarke, Sampi

2002 - Goddard, Wells .............. Brennan, Walsh

2003 - Cooney ............. Walker, Sylvia, Ray

2004 - Deledio, Roughead, Griffin, Tambling, Franklin ............. Williams, Lewis, Meesen

2005 - Murphy ............. Thomas, Ellis, Kennedy

2006 - Gibbs .............. Gumbleton, Hansen, Leuenberger

2007 - Kreuzer, Cotchin, (Masten), Morton ............ Grant, Myers - Masten is a bit of an anomaly as there were probably other factors affecting his selection over Morton.

Some of these are more pronounced than others, such as 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2004, while it is hard to differentiate the 2005 and 2006 drafts.

Most of the talk seems to be that there are 2, 3 or 4 that are real quality at the top end, but history may show differently. Although if Port Power believes that pick 2 is better than picks 8 and 9 put together (although didn't appear to offer that for pick 3) and Sydney thinks pick 3 is better than picks 6 and 14 put together (although didn't offer that for pick 4) then I think it shows the value of picks 1 and 2 this year.

Robinson is definitely the worst.

I'm kind o hoping that give it 3-5 years and people will be calling Jackson TrengRove, by our new recruit's name, instead of the other way round.

You can't blame Port for trying but you also can't blame us for laughing them out of the room.

When did MFC do that? I would hope they didn't. It would be small minded and unprofessional to do so.

pick 8 and 9 for pick 2 is a deal worth thinking about it.

In this draft given the assessment of the top 10 and the margin between the best 3 the potential picks at 8 and 9, it would be ludicrous.

We have in our sights two quality blue chip midfielders of real class and character. Why cash one of them in for a lottery of lesser quality?