Alex Stopp sets new record

dee-man

Alex Stopp from the Norwood football club has set a record in the beep test with a 15.9.Its the highest since the draft Camp started 16 years ago.Alex is a 195cm,85kg Key Defender,either CHB or FB.He played all year in Norwoods senior side & was named a rising star & was in the best several times.He stood the likes of Trent Hentschell,Ken MCGregor,Damon White etc & performed very well.He likes the Melb football club & played all his junior rep footy with Trengove so he would love to end up at Melb.I know hes a defender but hes only 19 so would be great for us & hes a great kid.Think he would be a great pick up either in our 3rd or 4th round if he lasts that far

meh, i know i'm not 6ft 5 but I ran 16.2 at pre-season training last year. It's one aspect of the draft testing that they don't seem to do particularly well in

Is that where you get your name from??

Alex Stopp from the Norwood football club has set a record in the beep test with a 15.9.Its the highest since the draft Camp started 16 years ago.Alex is a 195cm,85kg Key Defender,either CHB or FB.He played all year in Norwoods senior side & was named a rising star & was in the best several times.He stood the likes of Trent Hentschell,Ken MCGregor,Damon White etc & performed very well.He likes the Melb football club & played all his junior rep footy with Trengove so he would love to end up at Melb.I know hes a defender but hes only 19 so would be great for us & hes a great kid.Think he would be a great pick up either in our 3rd or 4th round if he lasts that far

Isn't he a friend of yours? You've been pushing him for a while now.

Not that it matters if he is good enough then we should look at him, just curious.

So you are saying you're a comfortably better athlete than any AFL player for the last 15 years? Rather large call.

No i am not saying that. I am saying that I can do the beep test better than any of those 17/18 year olds for the last 15 years. More than happy to prove it

• Like 1

Guest delicious jurrah coffee
No i am not saying that. I am saying that I can do the beep test better than any of those 17/18 year olds for the last 15 years. More than happy to prove it

your a tool, you should give us more credit than that. :wacko:

I don't think its unreasonable to expect that someone with a mature developed body can outrun an underdeveloped 17/18 year old in a beep test.

I don't either believe or disbelieve Freak. I just don't care.

Edited by Keyser Söze

lol. i can't believe the reactions. get over it. these guys are drafted because they have great footballs skills and are tall, good marks of the footy etc. i'm none of these things..i'm just better than them at the beep test, that's all. no big deal.

It really isnt a big deal, because it you saying it.....

16 is extremely hard i personaly doubt you could do it, im 17 and playing some senior footy at getting around 13 ish, 16 is fair effort if you really did do it.

Hate to tell you this folks, but there are plenty of people out there who are damn fast runners and don't play AFL. I really don't see why so many of you think it's unrealistic that someone could out-beep a draftee. Consider the following:

Graham Bashop, All Black scrum half did a level 19 in the early 90's.

Fiji's Kini Qereqeretabua (103kg) had a beep test of 17.1

The Canberra Lakers Hockey Team reached an average of 15.8 in preparation for the Australian Hockey League in 2008

Ben Hilfenhaus scores 15 +

English Premier League player Lee Gong Dook was reported to have reached level 17

Håkan Mild Playing for IFK Gothenburg (soccer) scored 19.2 in 2009.

meh, i know i'm not 6ft 5 but I ran 16.2 at pre-season training last year. It's one aspect of the draft testing that they don't seem to do particularly well in

This would equal to a VO2 max of 68.05 millilitres of oxygen per kilogram of bodyweight per minute. Lance armstrong's VO2 max was 70. An average person would be about 40 - 48 and above average 48+. Anything above 65 is considered abnormal/freakish. You could easily reach a pro level of cycling if your body is able to carry and transport that much oxygen. Pro runners would laugh at our draft players. I think Steve Nash once got 17.

Edited by Mr Morton

there are techniques involved in doing well in the beep test, like:

1. making sure you run in a straight line(sounds obvious but if you look from side to side to see how everyone else is doing then you might deviate a little bit to one side.

2. Don't talk to anyone else. Waste of breath

3. Make sure you never are ahead of the beep.

4. Make sure when you reach the line that you don't continue to turn on (and crouch down on) the same leg. This will just tire the one leg. Alternate between which leg you plant down to touch the line.

5. The first 4 steps of each shuttle are the most pivotel. You push those 4 hard and you will make it.

now go and try it :)

Hate to tell you this folks, but there are plenty of people out there who are damn fast runners and don't play AFL. I really don't see why so many of you think it's unrealistic that someone could out-beep a draftee. Consider the following:

Graham Bashop, All Black scrum half did a level 19 in the early 90's.

Fiji's Kini Qereqeretabua (103kg) had a beep test of 17.1

The Canberra Lakers Hockey Team reached an average of 15.8 in preparation for the Australian Hockey League in 2008

Ben Hilfenhaus scores 15 +

English Premier League player Lee Gong Dook was reported to have reached level 17

Håkan Mild Playing for IFK Gothenburg (soccer) scored 19.2 in 2009.

To be honest I think some of these figures have fallen victim to Chinese whispers.

And I'm almost certain there's 2 variations of the Beep Test which have different timing and/or levels.

Then you have to factor in measurement of the 20(?) metres and how accurate that is. Whether the people judging are overly critical of guys just falling short.

Out of curiosity Freak, have you ever ventured to the 1000 steps in Ferntree Gully?

To be honest I think some of these figures have fallen victim to Chinese whispers.

And I'm almost certain there's 2 variations of the Beep Test which have different timing and/or levels.

Then you have to factor in measurement of the 20(?) metres and how accurate that is. Whether the people judging are overly critical of guys just falling short.

Out of curiosity Freak, have you ever ventured to the 1000 steps in Ferntree Gully?

I'm not fit by any means, but found the 1000 steps easy. Its all relative.

there are techniques involved in doing well in the beep test, like:

1. making sure you run in a straight line(sounds obvious but if you look from side to side to see how everyone else is doing then you might deviate a little bit to one side.

2. Don't talk to anyone else. Waste of breath

3. Make sure you never are ahead of the beep.

4. Make sure when you reach the line that you don't continue to turn on (and crouch down on) the same leg. This will just tire the one leg. Alternate between which leg you plant down to touch the line.

5. The first 4 steps of each shuttle are the most pivotel. You push those 4 hard and you will make it.

now go and try it :)

One of the dumbest things I've ever seen, why would anybody talk during a beep test? It's like telling somebody practicing archery not to poke them self in the eye.

And a fair effort for a kid with a 195cm frame to break the record, not your typical endurance runner at that size. Seems the prime candidate for a development ruck-man.