Jamar and Miller Signed to Dees

Armitage Shanks

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamar's one year deal is just so wierd.

Could he yet be some part of a (complex) trade? (The one year gives him security of ending up somewhere.)

It's not weird. In a small number of games, Jamar was able to prove that he's easily the best ruckman in our side, but wasn't able to prove that he's good enough to be on the big bucks. If he has an excellent year next year he will be able to command much more money from the club and will be in the box seat for negotiations.

It's a bit of a risky strategy from his management (as it could go the other way and bring his career undone sooner) but it makes pretty reasonable business sense in my mind.

My point about Miller & Jamar is that they both seriously need to pump up their value through improved performance, and they have the whole of next season to do it. Next season is virtually an audition for them both.

They both have the potential to be very good, but there are serious question marks against them both in terms of consistency & errors & conversion (BM) and fitness & durability & around-the-ground input (MJ). They'll either show great improvement during 2010, in which case they can legitimately ask for more than they're worth now. Or they won't. They'll be playing for their AFL futures, so they'll have everything to play for.

There situation was exactly the same this year. Jamar (fitness) and Miller (performance) raise big questions about both players

So the team gains in several ways in 2010. Jamar and Miller have all the incentive they need to make a much bigger on-field contribution. And their potential replacements have 12 months to strut their stuff before perhaps having to shoulder much greater responsibility.

Great opportunities for all concerned.

Miller is warming a spot for another player. I cant see anyone on the list readily taking over from Jamar in 12 months.

They could get him in the PSD.

Why would GC chase a fringe player from a bottom club when they would have so many other options to go for?

Its naive they will be out to get stocking fillers.

He will be 27 at the end of 2010 and as a fringe player.....its good bye.

RR, we might not be 'the bottom' club next year. Then again we most likely will not be a finals side either. They could get him in the PSD, but what if they have better fish to fry with 1st pick in the PSD ? Jaded could be right, they could get him b/w pick 40-50 if he is on the table. Even some other side. Despite @ 27yo.

1 year from now there could be a different outlook. There are so many variables, from the number of picks GC has, to who is available as the uncontrcated players from all AFL sides. What this deal does is keep the door ajar, both ways. Other more important variables include form - which is the most important. It's also naive to think that they won't obtain any stocking fillers for there list. Albeit one.

Edited by High Tower

Is it just me or does it seem that Brad Miller signing only a one year contract is a bit odd considering when his contract expires the Gold Coast come in. Surely we could have signed him for 2 years therefore if he wishes to go there we could trade for a pick instead of potentially losing him for nothing considering all the picks GC have I would think that he would fetch a decent one.

I dont know I think they might go after him, especially as hes from there and they are not guaranteed a forward with any sort of talent. Also he has the experience at an AFL club to help the young kids out .

Miller has been a great servant at the club, however he is warming a seat for the kids which should start to blossom during next season. Miller was signed to a one year deal because there is still a need for him in the 2010 lineup. If development takes place as we all expect, Miller would be depth at best by the start of 2011, and we will need to axe someone, Miller is fronting the 2010 delistings. If Watts & Co do not develop, Miller gets another year should he wish ton continue at the MFC, or he could also be a chance to get a longer deal elsewhere.

Miller has been a great servant at the club, however he is warming a seat for the kids which should start to blossom during next season. Miller was signed to a one year deal because there is still a need for him in the 2010 lineup. If development takes place as we all expect, Miller would be depth at best by the start of 2011, and we will need to axe someone, Miller is fronting the 2010 delistings. If Watts & Co do not develop, Miller gets another year should he wish ton continue at the MFC, or he could also be a chance to get a longer deal elsewhere.

Exactly. And to be brutally honest, we will need to axe some players at the end of 2011 - most of the players on the list now we'll want to give more time & keep, and if we got rid of him this year we'd replace with a draftee that automatically gets 2 years.

Obviously most of the players coming out of contract at the end of 2010 we rate highly enough to think they will still be required, so the ball has been put in Millers court - it is up to him to prove he deserves a spot beyond 2010 and make us delist someone else.

Smart, pragmatic list management. Its just Harrington earning his money.

Smart, pragmatic list management. Its just Harrington earning his money.

Agree.

Its mystery of this site that Miller is consistently linked with GC without any shred of evidence that they are interested.

But of course Miller is from Queensland. Oh then its a certainty

I like Miller.... I like his aggression and attitude..... He is good for the youngsters at the club.....

As long as they close their eyes and put earplugs in when he is trying to teach them to kick for goals! :P

Is it just me or does it seem that Brad Miller signing only a one year contract is a bit odd considering when his contract expires the Gold Coast come in. Surely we could have signed him for 2 years therefore if he wishes to go there we could trade for a pick instead of potentially losing him for nothing considering all the picks GC have I would think that he would fetch a decent one.

A - Gold Coast have an option to take 1 uncontracted player from each club - We are setting it up for Miller to be the most obvious option.

B - Is Miller worth more than 1 year.

C - We should ask for a 1 game at a time contract. The only time Miller shows any promise is when his contract is up for renewal.

I like Miller.... I like his aggression and attitude..... He is good for the youngsters at the club.....

As long as they close their eyes and put earplugs in when he is trying to teach them to kick for goals! :P

I agree - he's the only one who straightens us up, but surely someone can work on his kicking

Fairly sick of people knocking Brad Miller. Watch how he goes about his football. Bailey's game plan has been making him look crap cause he hasnt been able to want to kick goals. He leads all the time.. never stops he is strong and quick off the mark, watch him closely before you start bagging me here. His kicking is not that bad really he kicks more goals than he misses, all he needs is for the instruction to kick the goal not look to pass when he is 45 out.

I rate Brad Milller highly and would like him to stay on the list. The point I made to start this thread is if the demons dont want him then trade him dont let a good player go for nothing. I think given our improvement and now we are looking to kick goals watch for a very good year from Miller.

That's where you have to lift your work rate, improve your goal kicking, do everything you can to become the first or second option. Nobody is going to honour your leads if you don't give them good reason to. I'm not a hater or sledger of players on the list, Miller is the only one I don't believe justifies maintaining his spot. The potential forward that never was.

That's where you have to lift your work rate, improve your goal kicking, do everything you can to become the first or second option. Nobody is going to honour your leads if you don't give them good reason to. I'm not a hater or sledger of players on the list, Miller is the only one I don't believe justifies maintaining his spot. The potential forward that never was.

Surely a certain No. 29 has this title sewn up :o