Ball for Melbourne in the PSD?

mikeod

Agree, strategic mistake IMO. If we told his manager we rate him and would take him with 18 then he may as well come to us in the PSD.

I again suggest that if we need to get him via a draft pick as opposed to the more logical PSd then he doesnt really want to play with us...if he does..we dont need to draft him in the ND. Am sure some mention of this is made in discussion from MFC to his camp.

To use a pick quite frankly is just dumb..and this is what the MFC are saying...we arent dumb. Play with us or dont.. but dont waste our time as we wont yours.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

I believe Cam Bruce or Brad Green will play more games next year than Luke Ball.

I also think that Cam Bruce would be more valuable any way you want to look at it. Leadership included.

I cant believe so many are dishing crap out to these two by wanting a has-been to come in and take over.

Many Saints fans I know think he will struggle to play 10 games next year even if Grant Thomas was coach.

I hope we dont get him.

I certainly do not rate Luke Ball as a "has Been" But I want to know why Ross Lyon know longer wants him in the side.

Ross Lyon is a very Good coach. Now if it is purely that the two do not get along-Fine, that can be sorted.

But if the situation is deeper then the MFC should try and Find out all it can.

If Ball comes to Melbourne I want him Hungry & ready to Prove a point to his old club that they were wrong.

Leadership Group is enough for next year.

To use a pick quite frankly is just dumb..and this is what the MFC are saying...we arent dumb. Play with us or dont.. but dont waste our time as we wont yours.

Fwiw, I can see that point of view too. Play with us or don't. Either your hearts in it, or it isn't.

Fwiw, I can see that point of view too. Play with us or don't. Either your hearts in it, or it isn't.

he doesnt want to be a demon - which is annoying but oh well!!

i dont want anyone that doesnt want to be a demon!!!

I again suggest that if we need to get him via a draft pick as opposed to the more logical PSd then he doesnt really want to play with us...if he does..we dont need to draft him in the ND. Am sure some mention of this is made in discussion from MFC to his camp.

I think we need to be realistic as to where we're at. We're obviously not the most attractive option right now. Surely, we should do whatever we can to get a player for nothing that will improve both our list and our culture. If we have to play dirty so be it. Ball might be [censored] off but I'm sure he's smart enough to understand the nature of the business he's involved himself in. If he doesn't want to stay with the Saints we need to do all we can to make him feel like it's an "us or them scenario". Once he gets here, we all know enough about Luke Ball to know that he's a proud competitor and he will give his all for Melbourne. And in 12 months time when the talent (that we all know in on our list) starts to emerge he'll be looking forward and not back.

he doesnt want to be a demon - which is annoying but oh well!!

i dont want anyone that doesnt want to be a demon!!!

Why don't we just send out our forum team! We'll at least guarantee some passion.

Time to re-evaluate where we're at and get serious about how we can improve our list.

I am realistic..if we cant convince him to play via the PSD ..then why bother ?

We have a great young list. . There is talent and prospects abound. Hell the only way is UP for us.

listen to Bails.. he all but says this here..video-Herald Sun Bailey Oct 12

He ( Ball) has to want to play for Melbourne.. Bailey has already shown us what he thinks of those that dont. Why would you draft an unwilling player ??

The thing is... if the MFC can convince Ball to come over...then we surely would not NEED to use any of those first 4 picks as he would already be on the same page as us. He would appreciate the extra value using a pick on another value adding kid rather than essentially wasting it on himself !!

Agree. I have no problem at all with the club setting the terms under which he comes to us. If he really wants to be elsewhere, no point at all in forfeiting pick 18 to "pinch" him from where he wants to be.

If he goes into the ND, he doesn't want to play for Melbourne.

So this 'strategic mistake' nonsense is just that.

If we came out and said we will spend Pick 18 on him, we would get the ire of fans who think we should get a kid, we would be forcing the club down his throat - it would be counter productive.

I think Sydney or Port will get him before, or after (with Port), Pick 18 so I don't believe that the ND is an attractive option for LB.

It's the hard decision to stay with the Saints, or the harder decision to play for the Demons.

Agree. I have no problem at all with the club setting the terms under which he comes to us. If he really wants to be elsewhere, no point at all in forfeiting pick 18 to "pinch" him from where he wants to be.

The point is you don't actually have to use pick 18, you just have to make Ball (and everyone else) think you're going to, and therefore convince him he'd be better off saving his new club a whole lot of hassles and just nominate for the PSD. If he calls our bluff and nominates for the ND anyway, we then make the decision then whether we really want to use pick 18 on him or not. If he even gets that far.

For the record I'm dead against using pick 18 on him as well, but I agree with the others that it was a tactical mistake to reveal our hand this early in the piece.

If he goes into the ND, he doesn't want to play for Melbourne.

Who's to say he can't be persuaded?

There's also varying degrees of "doesn't want to".

The point is you don't actually have to use pick 18, you just have to make Ball (and everyone else) think you're going to, and therefore convince him he'd be better off saving his new club a whole lot of hassles and just nominate for the PSD. If he calls our bluff and nominates for the ND anyway, we then make the decision then whether we really want to use pick 18 on him or not. If he even gets that far.

For the record I'm dead against using pick 18 on him as well, but I agree with the others that it was a tactical mistake to reveal our hand this early in the piece.

I understand the desire to push Ball and his management into a corner so he is coming to our club whether he likes it or not. But I think it sends a poor message about our own view of our club - we should have the confidence to say 'we are a good club, we would love to have you, and the PSD is the option you should take if you want to be apart of our club.'

Who's to say he can't be persuaded?

There's also varying degrees of "doesn't want to".

If he goes into the ND it is a flagrant denunciation of Melbourne and illustrates a deep desire not to be at this club. He has three options; re-sign with St.Kilda, come to the MFC via the PSD, or go anywhere (most likely Sydney or PA before Coll) in the ND.

There is a 'security of known destination' in two of those options, but not in the third - the ND option.

If he has burnt his bridges at the Saints and decides to go into the ND, he has obviously looked at the MFC option at rejected it with prejudice.

But he has done nothing yet, so I do not indict on hypotheticals. I really don't think he will go into the ND.

If he goes into the ND it is a flagrant denunciation of Melbourne and illustrates a deep desire not to be at this club. He has three options; re-sign with St.Kilda, come to the MFC via the PSD, or go anywhere (most likely Sydney or PA before Coll) in the ND.

Agree. The risk of ending up at a club he really doesn't want to be at by going in the ND I think will be enough to persuade him to rule that option out.

I still think he is tossing up between staying at St Kilda and nominating for the PSD.

I understand the desire to push Ball and his management into a corner so he is coming to our club whether he likes it or not. But I think it sends a poor message about our own view of our club - we should have the confidence to say 'we are a good club, we would love to have you, and the PSD is the option you should take if you want to be apart of our club.'

Look there's definitely merit in the inviting rather than forcing approach, and it's also my preferred choice. However, why couldn't we have fallen back on the approach of attempting to tie his hands if 'Plan A' doesn't work? The two options aren't mutually exclusive.

I just don't understand why people think we should just give up if we can't convince him that the PSD is a good idea. It seems a little defeatist to me.

Many Saints fans I know think he will struggle to play 10 games next year even if Grant Thomas was coach.

Fancy Saints supporters saying that about a player that walked out on them.

Ball has averaged 20 games a year over the last 7 seasons, but supposedly that average is about to be halved. Yeah right.

I hope we get him.

I understand the desire to push Ball and his management into a corner so he is coming to our club whether he likes it or not

... we should have the confidence to say 'we are a good club, we would love to have you, and the PSD is the option you should take if you want to be apart of our club.'

... If he goes into the ND it is a flagrant denunciation of Melbourne and illustrates a deep desire not to be at this club

... If he ... decides to go into the ND, he has obviously looked at the MFC option at rejected it with prejudice.

This is the point. It's not a matter of bluffing or begging or conning or hammerlocking him into it. We're not that desperate (give or take aunty Jess), it's not as if our whole future depends on it.

DB et al have shown "the confidence to say 'we are a good club etc etc'" and put the Ball back in his court. Exactly the right approach.

Look there's definitely merit in the inviting rather than forcing approach, and it's also my preferred choice. However, why couldn't we have fallen back on the approach of attempting to tie his hands if 'Plan A' doesn't work? The two options aren't mutually exclusive.

I just don't understand why people think we should just give up if we can't convince him that the PSD is a good idea. It seems a little defeatist to me.

It sounds defeatist?

If he nominates for the the ND it means we have been defeated.

Going into the ND leads me to believe that he is angry at St Kilda and thinks Melbourne is an option akin to retirement.

I want him, but through the PSD. If he wants to play for this club, he will come through the PSD.

Why beat around the bush? This is where we stand. You want to be here instead of the Saints, or god knows where; nominate for the PSD, wear the Red & Blue and be damn thankful for the opportunity.

He has a lot of positives but whilst he's a good player he's not a great player.

I'm not convinced we should take him over McDonald if he becomes an option. McDonald is an elite kick, plays across half back, is younger and has no injury background.

On balance probably Ball but it's not open and shut for mine.

One is a Best and Fairest winner and an All Australian midfielder who has toughness and courage personified and one is a Half Back Flanker.

You can please yourself, but I'd take Ball every day of the week.

It sounds defeatist?

If he nominates for the the ND it means we have been defeated.

Going into the ND leads me to believe that he is angry at St Kilda and thinks Melbourne is an option akin to retirement.

I want him, but through the PSD. If he wants to play for this club, he will come through the PSD.

Why beat around the bush? This is where we stand. You want to be here instead of the Saints, or god knows where; nominate for the PSD, wear the Red & Blue and be damn thankful for the opportunity.

Agree absolutely

If he nominates for the draft it will be in the hope that someone other than Melbourne will pick him up. I want him - but only if he wants us - and if he wants us he'll wait for the PSD

So you know him personally and obviously spoken footy with him and i assume that he knows your a melbourne supporter... which leads to my question has he ever indicated that MFC could be a club he would consider to play for obviously he would never have directly said this but has he spoken of them??

Daz, Luke know's that I'm a passionate Dees supporter however he has never mentioned that he has ever been interested in playing for another club including the MFC (as he has always been contracted with St Kilda), although you could tell that Luke hasn't been happy with his role since being dropped from both Matt and Jenny. He sought a request to be traded to Collingwood because they satisfied his (2) requirements of being premiership contenders and his desire for more playing time and a suited on field role.

Now that his desire to be traded to Collingwood hasn't eventuated, expect Luke to think about where he wishes to go over the next 2 weeks as I wouldn't be expecting any quick decision as he's now got time to go away and think about which club now suits him and his game. I would strongly doubt that Luke would join simply due to leadership opportunities, however think that this would be an obvious attraction to him and one he would certainly entertain. Knowing Luke, he's the sort of bloke who would not like to take such a position without earning it and if drafted to the MFC, it would surprise me that if he hadn't earnt the respect of the players very early on.

For those that query or are hestiant about picking Luke up in the draft due to his desire, let him make up his mind about where he wants to play. Once it's made up, I'd expect that if he wants to come to the MFC it will be in the PSD and NOT the ND as he's the sort of bloke who would try to assist whatever club he decides to go to.

I love the Melbourne football club and would love Luke Ball come to our club via the PSD but wouldnt he rather take the chance of going to a club that is going to play finals sooner rather than later. I mean we are back to back wooden spooners.

I dont see anyone using there first round picks on a player of Luke Ball age and body being as belted up as it could be. I see him going around pick 20 - 25. Teams that have picks around that range are closer to finals then us.

I see it as we are last on the ladder. I know we had the handbrake on late last year but i dont think teams also got out of 2nd gear at times. Luke Ball most likey wants success so i see us as how can he avoid melbourne. I think he might end up at essendon.

Edited by Clanger King

He sought a request to be traded to Collingwood because they satisfied his (2) requirements of being premiership contenders and his desire for more playing time and a suited on field role.

Why only Collingwood? They aren't the only premiership contenders at the moment.

e.g. Why not WB?

I love the Melbourne football club and would love Luke Ball come to our club via the PSD but wouldnt he rather take the chance of going to a club that is going to play finals sooner rather than later. I mean we are back to back wooden spooners.

Ball's manager Paul Connors looks after Watts, Blease, Miller and a few others. Connors is well aware of how good we're going to be in a few years. He's well equipped to talk to Ball about our on-field prospects. It gets back to how quickly we expect to be playing Finals and start becoming a genuine contender. I suspect that this will have a bearing on his decision.

Yes, he has very good credentials, but I'm not interested in what he was, I'm interested in what he is and what he offers.

He's 25, not 30. Did anyone see how good he was in the GF ?

Ross Lyon obviously wants the game played a certain way and for what ever reason Ball ended up on the outer, but that doesn't mean he won't be suited to a prime contested ball role at Melbourne. He's a terrific midfielder that would add polish, hardness and contested ball winning ability to our midfield.

We've had the worst midfield in the competition, so why would you even think about a HBF over a proven mid ? Someone like Ball would be the perfect foil for Scully while he finds his feet.

If he's not available I don't mind the McDonald option.