The other Liam… a goal kicking ruckman.

the fork

I would rather pick him up as a rookie, but I have faith in the recruiting guys at Melbourne now and if they decided to take him at 50, then I would be happy with that.....

I realise there are other more established youngsters, but it is a decision that would have a lot of thought put into it....

All power to our recruiting team...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a pity it is that ABC2 decided to ditch all sport including weekly NTFL telecasts depriving some of us of the enjoyment of witnessing some exciting football during the summer months. No doubt the decision of some snobbish culture freak who has no concept of how important our national game is to the ordinary, common man and woman of this great country of ours!

I'm thinking of starting a petition to reinstate the telecasts. Anyone else for it?

I'll sign up

OK, it might not be the big stuff from the big smoke of Darwin but Australia's national indigenous broadcaster, National Indigenous Television (NITV), is providing 12 hours of football coverage tomorrow (Sunday 25 October) from 6am to 6pm.

For Foxtel viewers that's Channel 180 (check your local guides if you have another provider)!

It's the 2009 Ngurratjuta Lightning Cup featuring teams representing indigenous communitie around the country. 

I'm supporting Liam Jurrah's local side Yuendumu whose games are being shown at 8.02am and 12.02am. I've also set the IQ for the finals at the end of the day.

Don't know if Liam Patrick took part in this competition but I'm looking forward to this!

[i'm also putting this up on the Football Message Board]

WANDERERS coach Paul Motlop is bringing the Lajamanu Lightning Bolt, Liam Patrick, to Darwin in a bid to increase his draft chances.

Patrick has been a sensation in his first season in the NTFL, inspiring his adopted Eagles to three straight wins, including two momentous comebacks.

The 21-year-old is already being spoken about as a draft prospect when the AFL's national draft is held in Melbourne next month.

"We want to give Liam the best possible chance of getting drafted and getting him settled in Darwin seems the right way to go about it," Motlop said.

The Eagles are also looking at relocating Relton Roberts to the Top End for the same reason.

"Those two blokes are possible draftees and are also very important to Wanderers," Motlop said.

Article with another photo:

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2009/10/2...91_ntsport.html

All this talk about pick 50>

Assuming we leave open the PSD, picks 34 and 50 won't be available unless we delist two more players -- and this is looking increasingly unlikely ( per many other threads)

Its similar to all the talk about Majak Daw, lots of hype then simmered down. I recon this kid will be a rookie at best. But you sometimes get surprised.

Its similar to all the talk about Majak Daw, lots of hype then simmered down. I recon this kid will be a rookie at best. But you sometimes get surprised.

I started this thread more as a point of interest really, rather than a 'let's draft this bloke".

I think it is interesting and significant that a cousin of Jurrah's was driven to make a huge life decision (moving from Lajamanu to Darwin) in an effort to be drafted after being inspired by Liam's success with our club. This is an example of the positive impact Liam is going to have on players from the Central Desert region, who now know that anything is possible.

I am providing updates just to keep those who may also be interested in the loop.

I started this thread more as a point of interest really, rather than a 'let's draft this bloke".

I think it is interesting and significant that a cousin of Jurrah's was driven to make a huge life decision (moving from Lajamanu to Darwin) in an effort to be drafted after being inspired by Liam's success with our club. This is an example of the positive impact Liam is going to have on players from the Central Desert region, who now know that anything is possible.

I am providing updates just to keep those who may also be interested in the loop.

And doing a great job of it too.

Very informative, keep up the good work.

This is an example of the positive impact Liam is going to have on players from the Central Desert region, who now know that anything is possible.

Its a great point, my sister (the lajamanu teacher) was saying how theres a few players with freakish jurrahlike skills out there, and some have been contacted by recruiters, but they don't want to come to the cities, just because its so far removed from what they know. I love how Melbourne has developed the 'brothers'. the aboriginal boys, because it means that those players know that they will be accepted and feel slightly more at home if they do come down.

Keep 'em coming fork. Appreciate the influence Liam has had on the community up north. Thankyou.

Firstly, it appears that Liam Patrick's reputation is spreading. Craig Hutchison has picked up the story in his Sunday Sun column. Here's wishing him well and who knows? He might end up as a teammate of our Liam.

Secondly, I've been catching up with the tapes I made of the 2009 Ngurratjuta Lightning Cup featured on NITV as well as some of its other programmes and have to say what a pity it is that this station doesn't receive more publicity. 

As for the footy, it was entertaining even if not of a particularly high standard. The competition featured a lightning premiership of matches played at Easter and featuring teams centred around Alice Springs. The majority, but not all players, were indigenous and there were certainly a few who would catch the eyes of AFL recruiters. I didn't catch any games involving Liam Patrick but one stand out was Troy Taylor who is being touted as a possible second round selection. He looks a quality footballer and I direct your attention to a designated thread about him on the trading and drafting board. He's the player from NT who has had a troubled youth and is now seeking to redeem himself through the sport.

Taylor isn't the only skillful player on show at the ground on lightning cup day. There's a 14 year old kid who is already in the sights of the recruiters and quite a few others who are in the squad for the NT Thunder team which competed for the first time this year in the QAFL. Apparently the tyranny of distance and lack of funding often works against some of the more promising young men who find it difficult to make it to regular training. I don't know what the AFL is investing in this area but I wonder how it compares with the money that goes towards promoting Irish recruits or those from South Africa, New Zealand and the Polynesian region. There are definitely kids in our own back yard in remote communities such as this around Alice Springs who are worth looking at.

Of course, very few of the participants are going to be in the elite class. The players come in all shapes and sizes, some with flashy boots and even flashier haircuts and one even in his bare feet. Some are so thin that they make Cale Morton look like a champion bodybuilder and others are a trifle ... let's say porky! Some of the better players from the region weren't taking part either - Yuendumu Magpies (Liam Jurrah's home community) was represented by it's seconds side. In the end it was enjoyable viewing, well presented and adequately satisfied my footy fix for the month of October. 

Now on to draft month!  

All this talk about pick 50>

Assuming we leave open the PSD, picks 34 and 50 won't be available unless we delist two more players -- and this is looking increasingly unlikely ( per many other threads)

But hang on, thats wrong. Feel free to shoot me down in flames if I have got this wrong, but everyone continually talks about will we use 34 or not. By my math, our picks are this;

1,2,11,18,34 and 50 or PSD1 then 2 rookie picks.

This is based on the following and my understanding of how the system works;

MELBOURNE ADDITIONS Nil

DELETIONS

Simon Buckley Delisted

Brock McLean Exchanged to Carlton

Russell Robertson Retired

Paul Wheatley Retired

Matthew Whelan Retired

VETERANS

Cameron Bruce Outside

RETAINED ROOKIES

Rhys Healey 2nd Year

Danny Hughes 2nd Year (Mature)

Jordie McKenzie 2nd Year

Jake Spencer 3rd Year

So, with 5 delist/traded players plus Bruce added to the veterans list makes 6 picks. 1,2,11,18,34 and 50 or PSD1.

Bruce and McDonald on the Vets list reduces our allowed number of rookies from 8 to 6, so we have room for two more.

So either I'm right and everyone can stop bluddy going on about pick 34 or I'm completely wrong and everyone gets my permission to make me look like a grade A tallywacker :lol:

But hang on, thats wrong. Feel free to shoot me down in flames if I have got this wrong, but everyone continually talks about will we use 34 or not. By my math, our picks are this;

1,2,11,18,34 and 50 or PSD1 then 2 rookie picks.

This is based on the following and my understanding of how the system works;

MELBOURNE ADDITIONS Nil

DELETIONS

Simon Buckley Delisted

Brock McLean Exchanged to Carlton

Russell Robertson Retired

Paul Wheatley Retired

Matthew Whelan Retired

VETERANS

Cameron Bruce Outside

RETAINED ROOKIES

Rhys Healey 2nd Year

Danny Hughes 2nd Year (Mature)

Jordie McKenzie 2nd Year

Jake Spencer 3rd Year

So, with 5 delist/traded players plus Bruce added to the veterans list makes 6 picks. 1,2,11,18,34 and 50 or PSD1.

Bruce and McDonald on the Vets list reduces our allowed number of rookies from 8 to 6, so we have room for two more.

So either I'm right and everyone can stop bluddy going on about pick 34 or I'm completely wrong and everyone gets my permission to make me look like a grade A tallywacker :lol:

This has been explained a dozen times by various posters. We have 5 picks at the moment. If we want to use more say 50 and PSD 1 we need to move two off the list. Bruce replaces Robbo's spot. As stated in the papers today you can now delist also from main list to Rookie list.

Firstly, it appears that Liam Patrick's reputation is spreading. Craig Hutchison has picked up the story in his Sunday Sun column. Here's wishing him well and who knows? He might end up as a teammate of our Liam.

Secondly, I've been catching up with the tapes I made of the 2009 Ngurratjuta Lightning Cup featured on NITV as well as some of its other programmes and have to say what a pity it is that this station doesn't receive more publicity. 

As for the footy, it was entertaining even if not of a particularly high standard. The competition featured a lightning premiership of matches played at Easter and featuring teams centred around Alice Springs. The majority, but not all players, were indigenous and there were certainly a few who would catch the eyes of AFL recruiters. I didn't catch any games involving Liam Patrick but one stand out was Troy Taylor who is being touted as a possible second round selection. He looks a quality footballer and I direct your attention to a designated thread about him on the trading and drafting board. He's the player from NT who has had a troubled youth and is now seeking to redeem himself through the sport.

NITV replayed the same games as they showed a fortnight ago so I taped a couple of games I missed last time. I found a game involving Liam Patrick who represented a team called the Lajamanu Swans (but the on screen scoreboard called them Apatula. Patrick's team won easily but the losing team Papunya made it to the quarter final - I think there might have been a disqualification involved. Anyway, Patrick played in defence, got the ball once or twice but nothing special. Don't count on him being a ruckman at the elite level because he's not that tall. At best he might be the  same as our Liam or a bit shorter - about 185cm. The game itself was of about two ten minute halves so it was a bit too short to really assess him as a player.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bolt...f-1225795936756

Bolt from Top End 

HIS nickname is the "Lajamanu Lightning Bolt", and some Darwin football judges rate him a more exciting prospect than his Walpiri cousin, Demons sensation Liam Jurrah.

Liam Patrick, 21, has been courted by at least four AFL clubs in the lead-up to this month's draft.

He is from the community of Lajumanu, 900km south of Darwin, towards the Western Australia border, and used to drive every week to play in the Northern Territory Football League with the Wanderers Football Club.

With an eye to being drafted, however, he moved to Darwin to enhance his prospects.

Hawthorn and Melbourne are believed to be interested in the 185cm goalkicking utility, while the Brisbane Lions and North Melbourne are said to have been monitoring his form.

Patrick has flown under the radar until now largely because he was more focused on his young family: wife Loretta and five-month-old son Mazlin.

Jurrah, his cousin, became a smash hit with Melbourne last season after the Demons gambled on the Territorian as a rookie draft selection.  :lol: