Shaun Burgoyne walks out on Port Adelaide

Jarka

750k is far to much to pay any one Demon. I'd seriously doubt Davey or Green are on that kind of money, let alone any of the 22-23 year olds.

Shaun Burgoyne is a very good player, but not a star. Paying that kind of salary to him would add about $100,000 a head to our ten best player's expectations for their next contract. He'll also be 27 at the start of next season. Nothing about him fits with the premiership plan.

If I was making a tip, it'd be that Port will pay part of Burgoyne's salary for the first year or two (as we did with Woey, Johnstone) to facilitate the deal. Hawthorn might not find themsleves with free space anyway, but Essendon are losing Llyod, Lucas and Fletcher for next season or the year after, and also would believe they are in a better position to challenge with 26 year olds coming in.

My gut says Essendon - they have the salary cap space and appropriate trade material, particularly with Andrew Lovett leaving, and it fits with their situation as far as wanting to push further into finals in the next few years.

He is a star. He should be the highest paid player at our club if he ends up here. That money, not in hands of Burgoyne, will be spent on the contracts of younger players. Therefore, they will have inflated salaries which is not desired for when we have to squeeze everyone in and all these kids are asking for more on top of the inflated salaries they have been paid.

If any player managers ask Schwab why he is on so much he should turn around and say that their players will get compensated to similar degree when they are a Premiership winning midfielder and AA.

We payed Woey and TJ supplements because they were contracted. He is OOc. PA will not pay a cent next year to Burgoyne unless he is in teal.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walking on egg shells here...

You took the vowel thing as an condescending insult?!

It's naive to think that any player asking for more from the back-to-back wooden spooner than the Premiers, is 'dumb.'

It's naive to say we should not bother with Burgoyne and instead look at someone who wants to be at the club. Who are these people? The teenagers that are forced to come to us? The players that are already here?

No no.. was just throwing it in to be a smartass ;)

Its your opinion, that 'Its naive to think...'

I and others have expressed our opinion that its insulting, how everything has transpired..

You nominate what you believe your worth - and you try to work out a deal with whoever is interested

Doesnt matter if they're 20 time wooden spooners/premiership winners imo

Its as bad as scummy ol' Maccas getting busted the other week selling burgers at a higher price, in poorer suburbs!

What, because they graced a poorer class area with their presence.. pfffft

Dont bother i say.. which is how i see all the Burgoyne BS

(and BTW- i really wanted him before all the 'mind-games')

The way I see it WE hold all the aces. I don't think we NEED Burgoyne, but if we can get him for nothing he'd be some nice icing on our rebuilt cake.

If we are his prefered option, we have to try and trade. I can't remember the details but I'm sure the league forced Carlton into mediation when they tried to rip WC off and made them give up more than they wanted to. I don't want to pay any more than PSD pick 1 for SB so let him nominate tha hawks or dons and wait and see if a deal can be done, if not we swoop.

As far as his salary goes, I couldn't give a toss if he nominated 2mill a year, he won't get it. We are the fall back option and that's how we should play it. Offer $500K a year and let the other teams fight it out to be prefered option. Then if the trade falls through we give him a revised final offer up to the max the club is prepared to pay and make it clear if he asks for more we won't draft him. He'd be risking a fair bit if he priced himself out of the market.

If SB comes to the dee's he comes on our terms, if not I won't lose any sleep over it. He's a good player not a star and like our list under ND he's a front runner who'll go missing when things aren't going well. I'd rate him on a par with Yze and would be disappointed if we paid too much for him. If there was a quality KPF or ruckman 25 or younger up for grabs it would be worth going hard, but an outside reciever, no thanks.

Agree completely.

This is what i was hoping for at the start.

If it happened now..well, it would be a good thing for the Dees, but he wouldnt be my favorite player.. (im sure that will bother him.. ;) )

Burgoynes not a star yet.. he might push into that level over the next few years

but he only looks like a star in comparison to The Dees young crop imo..

(exclude Davey, who i believe will be classed as a genuine star/champion of the competition, if he has a repeat year in 2010.. and maintains that A-grade level.. But Burgoyne is not as good as Davey right now)

SB, Bruce and Green are in that same mould.. not quite stars.. SB has time on his side (just)

Bruce got close to being a genuine star in 2005.. then Guerra the little [censored] ;) broke his collarbone and he hasnt got back to that level since..

Some of you guys need to have more faith that our club will do the right thing....... whatever that may be. They will properly evaluate everything and make the right decision if we are indeed selected as the preferred club.

I am certain that our club will not over pay him or over trade for him. They know best.

Relax if he ends up at the Dees he will be on $500 - $700k. Remember he would walk into our club as its best player and as such would be paid the most. Melbourne trade over the price but as someone suggested Pick 18 + Mclean or Pick 18 + PSD Pick 1 may do it.

Whatever the case SB is going to declare his preferred club on Monday. If Melb is the preferred club we will need to trade but will hold all the aces if not we can hope he falls through to the PSD. I feel there is some hope of this. Either way I am not losing sleep.

Would I pay him the full 700k? The answer for me is yes, IF:

- We can fit it in the cap in the short term (this is obviously yes)

- We can fit it in the cap in the medium term (i.e. after the first year when our gun players begin to blossom properly)

As I've said before, this is bean counter stuff that I just trust the club to get right. And I'll add the usual "if his is knee is right" blahdiblah just in case it's not as obvious as I think it should be.

He would be the best player on our list if he was on it next year, and by miles I'd hasten to say. Putting it in that context, I wonder what other clubs are paying for their best players? I wonder how that compares to our current "best players" like Green and Bruce?

Guest hangon007

I've got a hypothetical ... lets say SB did make the national draft.

What position do you think he would be picked at?

Reason I say that ... I have a feeling this is going to be Ports angle.

Now I know hes not going to make the national draft ... but its just a hypothetical!

IMHO there is no way he would get past Hawthorn at pick 9.

Question is would another club take him before?

Please exclude Port because their is no doubt in my mind they would take him ... lets not forget he was their coaches first choice for captain last year. :huh:

He would be the best player on our list if he was on it next year, and by miles I'd hasten to say. Putting it in that context, I wonder what other clubs are paying for their best players? I wonder how that compares to our current "best players" like Green and Bruce?

You reckon someone that has averaged 16 disposals, 3 marks, 3.5 tackles and 1 goal a game (thats not a KPP)

could be the best player in any team?? :huh:

Right now:

Id have Davey, Slyvia and Bate in my team before SB, Green or Bruce..

Daveys 1st year in the centre, 2009:

23 disposals, just under 3 marks, 4 tackles and half a goal (and he influences results..)

You reckon someone that has averaged 16 disposals, 3 marks, 3.5 tackles and 1 goal a game (thats not a KPP)

could be the best player in any team?? :huh:

Right now:

Id have Davey, Slyvia and Bate in my team before SB, Green or Bruce..

Daveys 1st year in the centre, 2009:

23 disposals, just under 3 marks, 4 tackles and half a goal (and he influences results..)

This is what we should be judging him on, this season performance and its poor. Overrated big time. If we get him well he better win the B & F to be worth his price tag.

Burgoyne has offered to play for Hawthorn and Essendon for $600k a season but wants $750k from us implying some sort of risk factor which I find insulting. If you don't find it insulting good for you but I find his attitude to the club to be disrespectful.

Ask yourself the question, why did he select us? Do you think it was because we have the first pick in the PSD? Do you think that by putting this premium on his head he was intent on pissing us off?

BTW I'm aware that it's no longer the 60's, if it was we would have been playing in Grand Finals.

He wants around $700,000 a year. His preferred team Hawthorn can't pay that but Essendon and Melbourne apparently can. He has to choose if he wants to go to his preferred team he has to take less. It has very little to do with Melbourne go where the money is Shaun.

He wants around $700,000 a year. His preferred team Hawthorn can't pay that but Essendon and Melbourne apparently can. He has to choose if he wants to go to his preferred team he has to take less. It has very little to do with Melbourne go where the money is Shaun.

Are we certain that Melbourne is prepared to pay him $700k a year?

If your judging him on one year your a fool.

Oh good brockstar5 your point is very good. Great post. If you want to talk about the good years also talk about the poor years. You are just turning a blind eye if you can't except 2009 was a bad year. You might want to check his other years which are not much different.

In Adelaide I have spoken to many Port Adelaide suppoters who say they can't believe how the victorians are ovarrating him. Tell me what he does to make up for his low disposal count, then not only make up for it but then justifiy his price tag and how you think he is a star.

'All that glitters is not gold'

Edited by Mr Morton

Guest hangon007
Oh good brockstar5 your point is very good. Great post. If you want to talk about the good years also talk about the poor years. You are just turning a blind eye if you can't except 2009 was a bad year. You might want to check his other years which are not much different.

In Adelaide I have spoken to many Port Adelaide suppoters who say they can't believe how the victorians are ovarrating him. Tell me what he does to make up for his low disposal count, then not only make up for it but then justifiy his price tag and how you think he is a star.

How did Port Adelaide coach rate him at the start of the season when they were looking for a new captain?

If my memory serves me right he was the coaches choice till he got rolled by the board on Cassisi. Williams actually comes out openly and declares he wanted Burgoyne ... unbelievable press conference!!! (Dont tell anybody but he was there stand in captain prior to the official announcement)

Sorry but can I suggest ... IMHO Sour grapes from your people in Adelaide.

Guest hangon007
Are we certain that Melbourne is prepared to pay him $700k a year?

Nobody knows for sure ... all idle media speculation. Where many members of the forum just blindly believe anything they read.

If Hutchy says it ... it must be right ... hahahaha The media get it wrong as many times as they get it right.

How did Port Adelaide coach rate him at the start of the season when they were looking for a new captain?

If my memory serves me right he was the coaches choice till he got rolled by the board on Cassisi. Williams actually comes out openly and declares he wanted Burgoyne ... unbelievable press conference!!! (Dont tell anybody but he was there stand in captain prior to the official announcement)

Fair call and yes sour grapes for some. Captain and star players are different.

Regarding the Footy Show. Why couldn't they have also interviewed Melbourne as well? Did Hutchy have the day off? Why were we first? I would of thought you would of went to your preferred club first. Looking at Hamilton's body language you would of thought that Essendon had no chance of getting Borgoyne.

Hutchy probably didn't know Melbourne had been interviewed until afterwards. Mfc and Burgoynes manager probably spent the whole day together. Who knows... ;)

Probably got the tip off from mfc to put some heat on Haw and Ess interviews the next day... :lol:

(unfounded speculation only)

Edited by High Tower

You keep peddling this assumption - what is it based on?

We are paying around 85% of the cap in real terms with frontloading of the younger players contracts to bring the number up to 92.5%. CC has mentioned this once or twice during the year in articles and in interviews.

That number will only fall further with Robbo, Whelan, Wheatley, and one or two others going. We 'have to pay someone' and it leads to over-the-odds salaries like the one that McLean has had the last two years.

With Green and Bruce tying up a $1m the problem could be worse but I would still prefer one big inflated salary to 10 players with 10/20% more than what they would normally be paid. The precedent is worse in this instance because these are kids and not a Premiership midfielder and AA selection.

Bingo!

Mate, this is the worst thing you could have brought up to support your view!!

A: Being captain of an AFL team doesn't mean your the best, or even NEAR the best/most important player/highest paid player..

3 egs off the top of my head: J-Mac for us, Harley for Cats and Glass for the Eagles.

B: You trust crazy ol' Mark Williams judgement all of a sudden?? He's a crack pot ;)

C: SB and M. Williams being good mates an all..

does it occur to you that Williams was trying to get SB over the line as captain so they wouldn't have lost him now? If he was captain this year he'd still be at Port 2010..

If your judging him on one year your a fool.

Actually..

They were Burgoynes CAREER STATS Vs Daveys 1ST YEAR STATS as a mid

SB stats aren't great for midfielder stats - over a career.. that was my point

He's had 2 great seasons 06 & 07 and the rest has been filler.

He's great when everything and everyone is up an running,

but the circumstances arent perfect, he can be shut out of the game too easily.

Imo, he definately not Ports or (not going to be) ours or EFCs or HFCs best player.. just a cherry on top

Mate, this is the worst thing you could have brought up to support your view!!

A: Being captain of an AFL team doesn't mean your the best, or even NEAR the best/most important player/highest paid player..

3 egs off the top of my head: J-Mac for us, Harley for Cats and Glass for the Eagles.

B: You trust crazy ol' Mark Williams judgement all of a sudden?? He's a crack pot ;)

C: SB and M. Williams being good mates an all..

does it occur to you that Williams was trying to get SB over the line as captain so they wouldn't have lost him now? If he was captain this year he'd still be at Port 2010..

dont forget kane johnson for tigers

I would still prefer one big inflated salary to 10 players with 10/20% more than what they would normally be paid. The precedent is worse in this instance because these are kids and not a Premiership midfielder and AA selection.

Again, why?

Why would the club inflate player contracts instead of taking them on their merit (paying as "normal" as you put it)? You seem to have a grasp of the numbers which is fine, I don't know the rules that govern how a club goes about it's contracts but unless the club is forced to pay a certain proportion (not maximum threshold like this year) under regular conditions then I don't understand why they would pay inflated salaries.

Burgoyne would naturally command a high price tag no matter where he went but to justify potentially over paying him 150k - 200k (based on the figures tossed up in this discussion) because we have extra cap space is madness unless there are regulations I am unaware of - our club isn't that inept surely.