Shaun Burgoyne walks out on Port Adelaide

Jarka

My concern is that his best years are behind him and what we will have to give up to get him.

His value is so high on the open market that I feel he'd cost too much for his return to be worth it for our club specifically.

He'll produce straight away, but will he still be producing in 2 or 3 years' time when we should be seriously challenging? Will the players we'd be required to trade for him?

Bearing in mind, we won't get him in exchange for Newton, Bell and pick 34. Its just not going to happen.

I'd take him in the PSD in a heartbeat though.

Great Call!

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...42-2722,00.html

Didn't really want to trade 1,2,18 but wanted him PSD. Hawks are his prefered destination and they want pick 9 and Jordan Lewis.

I just get the feeling these two clubs won't get a deal done.

As for him wanting 750 kegs per season. That surely can be negotiated down. A mil first year, 400 kegs 2nd year, 300 kegs 3 and 4.

or sign 3 years for 1.8 n have conditions where if pre existing injuries cause you to miss a certain amount of games a year, you get half.

Edited by jacey

Ok...

Shaun Burgoyne has told Port he wants to be traded to a Melbourne club and will not re-sign.

Port has said they will only do a deal if it works for them.

Burgoyne has gone on to nominate Hawthorn, Melbourne and Essendon as his preferred destinations and will go in the PSD if need be.

Hawthorn have said they are open to trading any of their draft picks, without being specific.

Andrew Lovett has told Essendon he is keen to be moved on.

That is all that is being presented as fact. Beyond that there is mountains of speculation on what will/won't, can/can't happen and conspiracy theories on:

- Burgoyne's knee being beyond repair with Port trying to peddle him before anyone realises and

- MFC's position with PSD pick 1 being used as leverage by Port & Burgoyne's camp to get a good deal at a preferred destination

You're a champion Enforcer25.

The whole thing stinks to me. Leave it for someone else to risk his knees. What they're asking of Hawthorn is ridiculous to say the least. Two first round draft picks. Burgoyne would need to wear a cape and fly to qualify that deal.

If I am going to spend the next 4 or 5 years with my fingers crossed that a player on significantly top money doesn't do his knee it better not be in the knowledge that it cost us a good draft pick to get him. Apparently 1 of his knees is "bone on bone" - which is commonly regarded as a serious condition regardless of how well we understand the situation - yes our medicos will ultimately decide but I get the feeling that there is a problem there that won't go away. I anticipate it may be a year by year prospect with Burgoyne and given his premium he will be thrown in everything for us to get a return on him. I am not convined that he will automatically revert to the footy that was akin to him in the 2007 season or earlier, in other words I agree with others who speculate that his better years are behind him.

If Hawthorn are prepared to part with pick 9 and if Port are keen on some of the Hawthorn players then we will be looking at pick 2 to sway them our way - an absolutely rediculous scenario to engage in. Pick 18 and a player for Burgoyne simply won't happen.

Then there is the question of are we pulling the trigger too soon with respect to pulling out the cheque book for a 27 yr old. The club has been very prudent with the salary cap and the players have worn that to a degree. With our other club initiatives of raising funds would it be better to sit on that and reinvest in the club for a year or so and then strike later when the iron is hot? It is not one sided, there are pros and cons to gaining big name players but I hope the club uses it's money wisely.

Then there is the whole scenario of us being on the shortlist. Are we a genuine preference or simply a tool being used by Burgoyne's management to box Port into a deal with Hawthorn? If the Burgoyne management are trying to manipulate Port then they should watch out. Port is one club that doesn't like being dictated to.

Burgoyne sounds like a decent bloke and has been a great footballer but all things considered I think I would let someone else take him on.

For heaven's sake, all these salary figures and picks are just ambit claims being floated around in the press by player managers ... including Burgoyne's. And all the stuff about knees is being floated around by other interested parties ... including Port Adelaide.

We have professional recruiting managers and medical staff for a reason.

For heaven's sake, all these salary figures and picks are just ambit claims being floated around in the press by player managers ... including Burgoyne's. And all the stuff about knees is being floated around by other interested parties ... including Port Adelaide.

The voice of reason.

i'm sure you are right about the medicos and salary, but don't underestimate what port might want for him in real terms. port won't do a deal unless they feel like they are shafting someone.

Was just on Schwab's twitter and wrote " I'd say there will be some furious MFC supporters if we so much as entertain the thought of parting with Pick 2 for Burgoyne!" to which the great man replied "Please give us some credit". Even though I never really thought we would think about Pick 2 for Burgoyne, just thought I would make it clear on behalf of all the MFC supporters how highly we value investing in youth and keeping the first two picks of this draft. From that response it seems they have the same view. Go Dees.

Was just on Schwab's twitter and wrote " I'd say there will be some furious MFC supporters if we so much as entertain the thought of parting with Pick 2 for Burgoyne!" to which the great man replied "Please give us some credit". Even though I never really thought we would think about Pick 2 for Burgoyne, just thought I would make it clear on behalf of all the MFC supporters how highly we value investing in youth and keeping the first two picks of this draft. From that response it seems they have the same view. Go Dees.

Once again, give the guy and his staff some credit.

I doubt he needs your advice on whom to take with picks 1, 2 & 18 also.

Bordering on being a pest...

Edited by Enforcer25

Once again, give the guy and his staff some credit.

I doubt he needs your advice on whom to take with picks 1, 2 & 18 also.

Bordering on being a pest...

Give me a break Enforcer. It's people like you who make me not want to bother posting on here anymore. I come here to relay some information to you and my fellow demon supporters alike and you call me a borderline pest. Cheers mate. <_<

Give me a break Enforcer. It's people like you who make me not want to bother posting on here anymore. I come here to relay some information to you and my fellow demon supporters alike and you call me a borderline pest. Cheers mate. <_<

meh.

I take it back. He did actually ask for people's opinions on those picks.

But offering unsolicited advice to the AFL community would paint you as just that.

I am pretty sure Burgoyne is Melbourne bound if we want him.

<_<

Everything about trading is suspicious. We are a chance to get him and until their is none I will continue to have hope. I'm sick and tired of this club not being able to land a quality established player cause they think we are a basket case I want players like Burgoyne to think that this club has a future.

Anyone who thinks that Port's best player isn't worth a top 5 pick in a weak draft are kidding themselves. The only way he won't be worth a top 5 pick is if his knee is completely stuffed and I'm sure the Hawks, Bombers and Dees will find out for sure if his knee is up to it or not.

Correct.

Brockstar5 I'm sure that the tide has turned and players outside of the Demons are aware of this. We'll be one of if not the youngest list next year, and those who are established and that are quality players of opposition sides will be keeping an eye on the mighty Dees over the next 2-3 years, that is for certain. I too, are sick and tired for the same reason. However there are reasons for this. And I believe they are being addressed - on and off the field. I think when the time is right, we'll land a big fish or two. At the moment it's about developing a young and vibrant group that will grow together and create 'synergy' among themselves and their gameplan. One day, we'll fill what is required all in good time.

Whilst I'm as sick & tired just as you are, I'm also patient when I know our FD is hell bent on getting it right. If getting it right - means a decent Premiership window opportunity for you, I and anyone else who loves the red & blue - I can surely wait just a little longer.

I'm with Brockstars on this. Burgoyne has been somewhat inconsistent, but he's far more talented and effective than he's being given credit for on here. He's inside and outside and has been very effective in run-with/shut down roles. He'd be in our best 3 players the day he walked in the door and I also agree that a fit Burgoyne would just about have us playing Finals next year. Momentum is a wonderful thing around a club.

Agree with everything here about Burgoyne's talent and effectiveness.

Why supporters bother to worry about a player's knees when we've medicos to do that is beyond me. If we want him it's because we're very confident in his body to play 80+ games of footy.

Perhaps some just don't want to be dudded, they're are some that most likely don't want the Mfc to use one or two of our picks for him either based on 'uncertainty' and where our list is at. You're right that it should be left to the medico's to determine whether his knee is any good or not.

Why supporters don't embrace quality walking through the door is beyond me. But I'm not surprised.

I'd love if he ended up at Melbourne. Via the PSD. Our side needs all the quality it can get.

Not enough. The good thing is that I don't think Hawthorn or Essendon have the picks that Port would be after either. Time will tell. If I was Port I'd be trying my hardest to keep him that means no trade.

Yep. And if it means no trade, it's the PSD. ;)

I'd take him in the PSD in a heartbeat though.

The most used clich'e on D'land at present. But how true it is.

Hawks are his prefered destination and they want pick 9 and Jordan Lewis.

I just get the feeling these two clubs won't get a deal done.

If the Hawks put 9 on the table with a player, it might well get the job done. 9 & Lewis for Burgoyne - I'm sure Port would be happy with that; not sure about the Hawks position on that one. Which means it could be weighted heavily towards Port. Maybe a 2nd round draft pick from Port to Hawks as well.

There you go. It's imperative we keep 1 & 2 IMO. We're in good hands.

Have we? I would've thought your first 2 posts would have you in the running... ;)

What were my first two posts? If you are referring to my questioning of Schwab RE Pick 2 for Burgoyne I suggest you move on because that hardly warrants being called a borderline pest. Quit being petty.

Edited by Deemissioner

My gut feel is that Demons might be ahead in securing Burgoyne. Why?

1. We have the salary cap room to offer a great contract. Hawthorn are not so well placed. Not sure on the Dons.

2. Capataincy is a great possibility. Only 26yrs old! Vice Capt at Port and was supposed to have been captain at Port. No chance at Hawthorn or Essendon. Watson to captain the Dons.

3. Aaron Davey is his cousin.

4. Bailey and Mahoney are from Port. Hawthorn have there links aswell but salary cap a huge issue for them. The Dons only Alwyn Davey as there link.

5. Demons to only go up in leaps and bounds with a young talented list. Premiership window will be open for the remainder of Burgoynes career.

6. Burgoyne is prepared to enter PSD!

So what should the Demons offer Port from all of this. I say Pick 50 and Daniel Bell. Harsh it may seem! Or nothing!

HA HA!

He will be a Dee!

So what should the Demons offer Port from all of this. I say Pick 50 and Daniel Bell. Harsh it may seem! Or nothing!

Yep, dangle that PSD carrot over his head, and keep on reminding him that they showed his brother the door. He would be a handy player yes, but not at too great a cost

Edited by Demon Disciple