The Tom Scully thread

H_T

My Dad mentioned this to me. So I asked him whether he though Ian Thorp should have swum second last in all those relays where he beat the yanks, or whether Julia Gillard should be running the country so Ruddy has less pressure. He then agreed with me it was a stupid idea, but we were both undecided on the Gillard idea.

The point is, the champs strive on pressure. They soak it up and just put there head down, do the hard work and back themselves and their talent. There is no way being pick 2 would have taken any pressure of Watts, either way he still would have a bucket load. He also still would have been 17, going to school, and built like a teenager (which he is!).

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggested this before the end of the H&A season. The reason was it doesn't matter, and it'd be nice to just remind people of that fact. Nothing to do with the whole pressure of pick 1 malarkey. Picks one and two will cop it thick and fast, regardless fo which name it is.

It's really only for shits and giggles. No reason to get uppity.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
My Dad mentioned this to me. So I asked him whether he though Ian Thorp should have swum second last in all those relays where he beat the yanks, or whether Julia Gillard should be running the country so Ruddy has less pressure. He then agreed with me it was a stupid idea, but we were both undecided on the Gillard idea.

The point is, the champs strive on pressure. They soak it up and just put there head down, do the hard work and back themselves and their talent. There is no way being pick 2 would have taken any pressure of Watts, either way he still would have a bucket load. He also still would have been 17, going to school, and built like a teenager (which he is!).

Dammit! You beat me to it. If a kid that is going to enter the pressure cooker of AFL life can't handle a bit of scrutiny at the start of his career then what bloody hope have you got of him standing up on GF day when there is ten minutes to go and you are two goals down? You are dead right Master, the really good ones thrive on that sort of stuff. If Scully can't take it then I don't want him but I reckon he will love it.

My Dad mentioned this to me. So I asked him whether he though Ian Thorp should have swum second last in all those relays where he beat the yanks, or whether Julia Gillard should be running the country so Ruddy has less pressure.

IMO this analogy doesn't work.

Picking Scully at pick #2 has no impact on his playing role etc, whereas swimming 3rd instead of 4th or being deputy instead of PM is a major difference.

If the suggestion was to play Scully as a forward pocket instead of a midfielder that might be analogous.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
maybe we should just trade pick 1 for pick 7....happy to be corrected but isn't that the pick judd, rich, and co all went at?

Rich - yeah. Judd - no. #3 from memory but I think Selwood was #7

Guest hangon007
maybe we should just trade pick 1 for pick 7....happy to be corrected but isn't that the pick judd, rich, and co all went at?

No there is a brilliant idea ... do you want to phone the club or should we just leak it to the media ...

Melbourne puts pick 1 on the table - Only want pick 7 in return LMAO

I seem to recall an interview with a Stkilda official who stated that they announced Riewoldt at 1, over Kosi, because they thought he would be more able to handle the pressure associated with the pick, out of the two of them.

Scully looks to me like a player that won't take much notice of what the outside world is saying about him. I'm sure he'll be able to handle the pressure.

Scully looks to me like a player that won't take much notice of what the outside world is saying about him. I'm sure he'll be able to handle the pressure.

Both Scully and Trengove would be able to handle the pressures that come with being a number one pick.

They are both level headed, captains of their respective sides and confident in the way the play.

I don't care which one comes first, as long as they are both running through that banner together next year. :wub:

Just a little grab from a pre-draft profile on last years draftees (by Kevin Sheehan). Each draftee was asked a series of questions, and a few were asked about which of their peers they rated. The kids mostly stuck to kids within their draft year, but these two responses stuck out for me at the time. The only bottom aged player to be mentioned, and I remember thinking 'gee this kids sounds impressive, but I think we'll improve enough to not to have a shot at drafting him'. I guess I was wrong.

Sam Blease

Which of your peers have impressed you this season? Tom Scully is a close mate and has had a stellar season and I'd expect him to go very high in next season's draft.

Tyrone Vickery

Which of your peers have impressed you this season? Tom Scully has been the best I’ve played with. He is too young for draft camp but is exceptional and will be a good player next year. I played against some very good guys from WA and SA. Big names like Rich and Naitanui are obviously very good players. Nick has outstanding physical attributes.

Edited by ChaserJ

You would expect that an #1 pick can do it all....or hope. This poor kid is going to have so much pressure.

Maybe. But with guys like Watts, Jurrah and perhaps Trengove/Morabito that 'pressure' valve might be eased a bit I reckon.

Just a little grab from a pre-draft profile on last years draftees (by Kevin Sheehan). Each draftee was asked a series of questions, and a few were asked about which of their peers they rated. The kids mostly stuck to kids within their draft year, but these two responses stuck out for me at the time. The only bottom aged player to be mentioned, and I remember thinking 'gee this kids sounds impressive, but I think we'll improve enough to not to have a shot at drafting him'. I guess I was wrong.

Sam Blease

Which of your peers have impressed you this season? Tom Scully is a close mate and has

had a stellar season and I'd expect him to go very high in next season's draft.

Tyrone Vickery

Which of your peers have impressed you this season? Tom Scully has been the best I’ve

played with. He is too young for draft camp but is exceptional and will be a good player next

year. I played against some very good guys from WA and SA. Big names like Rich and

Naitauni are obviously very good players. Nick has outstanding physical attributes.

Thanks for that ChaserJ. You've made my day.

Sam Blease

Which of your peers have impressed you this season? Tom Scully is a close mate and has had a stellar season and I'd expect him to go very high in next season's draft.

top bloke sam blease. i can tell you he's pumped that his best mate tom scully will be joining him next year. also i can guarantee you that sammy will be in the number 17 jumper next year.

top bloke sam blease. i can tell you he's pumped that his best mate tom scully will be joining him next year. also i can guarantee you that sammy will be in the number 17 jumper next year.

No.17 hey. Thanks for that. B.Lovett's number.

Some one on ology thinks there are a lot of rumours flying around that Scully has done a knee???????????????

plz tell me this is just rumour

Fear-mongering.

Maybe knee soreness, but that is common for all AFL footballers

Definitely got the impression from Yeata ( on TAC FS ) that he was literally putting Scully on ice that game. He's making sure hes in good knick for his ( TS) first pre-season with the DEES !! :)

Definitely got the impression from Yeata ( on TAC FS ) that he was literally putting Scully on ice that game. He's making sure hes in good knick for his ( TS) first pre-season with the DEES !! :)

Exactly - doing right by the club.

If it was a close game Scully would've been back in that midfield in the blink of an eye.

No impressions. He said it.

Hutchy asked why Tom wasn't playing more in the centre and GY said with a smirk 'Tom's playing more in the back half or half forward so we can look after Tom (after long year). And make sure his ready to go when the Dees pick him up.

Exactly - doing right by the club.

If it was a close game Scully would've been back in that midfield in the blink of an eye.

NOT TRUE unfortunately. The physio went to Yeata at quarter time and told him that Tom was injured. He basically put him in positions such as the forward pocket etc.. and last quarter to the bench as he had hurt his knee- Whether it was jarred,whatever-I do not know however he hobbled off. Very interesting to see how he goes and position he plays Friday night- after only a six day break

No impressions. He said it.

Hutchy asked why Tom wasn't playing more in the centre and GY said with a smirk 'Tom's playing more in the back half or half forward so we can look after Tom (after long year). And make sure his ready to go when the Dees pick him up.

like.... where do you think the impression came from !! :lol:

NOT TRUE unfortunately. The physio went to Yeata at quarter time and told him that Tom was injured. He basically put him in positions such as the forward pocket etc.. and last quarter to the bench as he had hurt his knee- Whether it was jarred,whatever-I do not know however he hobbled off. Very interesting to see how he goes and position he plays Friday night- after only a six day break

No offense, but I'm not buying that.

With all the media scrutiny and especially that bin-forager Hutchy sniffing around, if there was any real injury they would have been all over it like a cheap suit.

Haven't heard a thing so far, 'cept for uninformed rumours/opinions on forums.

I would have thought there would have been every opportunity for Hutch to blindside Yeata with a " any thruth to the knee injury at quarter time ?" I didnt hear it..make of that whatever you wish

I would have thought there would have been every opportunity for Hutch to blindside Yeata with a " any thruth to the knee injury at quarter time ?" I didnt hear it..make of that whatever you wish

Exactly. And I flat out refuse to believe Hutchy has suddenly found some common human decency.

I'm willing to back Hutchy being an outright c&%t, over uninformed sightings from spectators.

Mind you, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he had a bit of knee tendinitis or copped a little knock.

With all the running he does and the way he throws his body in...

Joel Selwood had a knee reco before he was drafted.