• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Port needs to Trade : Tredrea

beelzebub

Port needs to trade says Tredrea

Apologies of sorts as the concept of dealing with Port has cropped up in a few threads.. But their focus has been directed from which Melb player might go.

I suppose in a sense so is this... but its from Ports perspective.

Tredrea proffers that Salopek may be used to entice...he also alludes to Pearce and Ebert.

Some interest will no doubt be had Tredrea at 30 odd cant expect to be around much longer either so Power must be staring a major rebuild in the face...bugger the poor timing huh !!

A number of factors must come into play here. 1st round draft picks I can only imagine will be gold. I cant really see any club prepared to offer up its pick with out major recompense. However Port may simply wish to do deals that upgrade and add picks.

I understand the club wishes toretain 1 and 2..so if we accept that at face value then our deals must imitially come via picks 18 and 34 in conjunction with players going both ways ( or possibly not depending on the picks swap combination )

I have no doubt this years Trade week will be like nothing thats gone before. Some teams will be in near panic mode desperate to get something out of the draft, others will be opportunistic in a vulture like way preying on this . Now that at least one team has all but announced it intends to play, others will start loosening the player lists.

Many here salivate over the idea of Boak . The more I think of it, however nice that would be he ( Boak ) must be one of the cornerstones of any new rebuild at Port.

For many teams followers its about to get very messy :lol:

Salopek might be handy. but how much so if we get Scully and Trengove.

as they say...let the games commence

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies of sorts as the concept of dealing with Port has cropped up in a few threads.. But their focus has been directed from which Melb player might go.

Tredrea proffers that Salopek may be used to entice...he also alludes to Pearce and Ebert.

Some interest will no doubt be had Tredrea at 30 odd cant expect to be around much longer either so Power must be staring a major rebuild in the face...bugger the poor timing huh !!

A number of factors must come into play here. 1st round draft picks I can only imagine will be gold. I cant really see any club prepared to offer up its pick with out major recompense. However Port may simply wish to do deals that upgrade and add picks.

I understand the club wishes toretain 1 and 2..so if we accept that at face value then our deals must imitially come via picks 18 and 34 in conjunction with players going both ways ( or possibly not depending on the picks swap combination )

I have no doubt this years Trade week will be like nothing thats gone before. Some teams will be in near panic mode desperate to get something out of the draft, others will be opportunistic in a vulture like way preying on this . Now that at least one team has all but announced it intends to play, others will start loosening the player lists.

Many here salivate over the idea of Boak . The more I think of it, however nice that would be he ( Boak ) must be one of the cornerstones of any new rebuild at Port.

Bell is South Australian, is he not?

Maybe a bit ambitious, but what about:

Bell + Pick 50 for Salopek + Boak

:P

Worth a try!!! :D

Tredea didnt lead on to much about who etc they were looking at getting or letting go of.Tredrea himself has just signed for another year.I believe they are planning a farewell game for Peter Burgoyne this week & also believe that Lade will hang up the boots.Think they will delist Nick Lower,Jonathon Giles & maybe Chaplin or Pettigrew.If Lade retires & they delist Giles which they are saying that will mean they only have Brogan to ruck,followed by Lobbe whos only just going in the SANFL.Thats the reason Jamars name has been mentioned.Williams has said he will do anything to get a RUCK there via trade or draft,he also mentioned Seaby.Said they will offer up for a RUCKMAN & Jamar is from SA.Salopek & boak i believe have both asked to be traded back to VIC clubs.Boak realy wants to go to Carlton but hey both want to return home

Port trade Boak to Carlton for Pick 13.

Jamar and one of Miller, Newton, Bell, Valenti to Port for there Pick 13.

Port still keep there first pick at around Pick 7.

Melbourne Pick 1,2,13,18,34,5? and PSD1

1 Scully,2 Trengove,13 Tapscott,18 Panos,34 Big man,5? Big man PSD1 Jurrah MKII

The Dees will not make 1 trade this year. Rightly or wrongly, Bailey wants to develop his own. If he wanted mature aged recruits we would've traded pick 19 for Prismall last year, rather than rely on a Microsoft Powerpoint presentation.

And anyway I can't see us being able to trade away list cloggers in Bell, Newton and PJ, even for pick 123!!

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

The Dees will not make 1 trade this year. Rightly or wrongly, Bailey wants to develop his own. If he wanted mature aged recruits we would've traded pick 19 for Prismall last year, rather than rely on a Microsoft Powerpoint presentation.

And anyway I can't see us being able to trade away list cloggers in Bell, Newton and PJ, even for pick 123!!

I dont necessaily agree with all that. Bailey is creating his own mould but he may well be open to trading for someone like Boak etc.. hes only what..21 ? Salopek..what..24 ? hardly mature ?? would still be handy in 4-5 years time.

If we were to somehows hold 1,2 13 18 34 and 50 ..i would shop 18 and 34 for a decent player..keeping 50 and take your luck there as well as the rookie list etc.

Melbourne will trade...many clubs are going to be active this year..they have to be

The basis for your first sentence is factually wrong and fundamentally flawed

Bailey made a push for Warnock. He went to Vi$y on a contract we could not and would not match.

Prismall was 22 when he went into the draft and was not mature age. Prismall did not want to go to Melbourne so it was not a matter of trading pick 19.

Never let the facts get.....

Prismall was 22 when he went into the draft and was not mature age. Prismall did not want to go to Melbourne so it was not a matter of trading pick 19.

Never let the facts get.....

OK, I don't fully understand the mechanics of trade week.

But if we really wanted Prismall (which I believe he would've been a fantastic recruit) wouldn't Geelong accept our trade of pick 19 if Essendon couldn't beat that offer - regardless of Prismall's preference of Essendon. I reckon Geelong got ripped off with only a 3rd round draft pick.

We were probably going to trade pick 19 for Warnock, so why not trade that pick for Prismall who will be just as good if not better than Warnock?

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

OK, I don't fully understand the mechanics of trade week.

But if we really wanted Prismall (which I believe he would've been a fantastic recruit) wouldn't Geelong accept our trade of pick 19 if Essendon couldn't beat that offer - regardless of Prismall's preference of Essendon. I reckon Geelong got ripped off with only a 3rd round draft pick.

We were probably going to trade pick 19 for Warnock, so why not trade that pick for Prismall who will be just as good if not better than Warnock?

Prismall wanted Essendon due to lack of opportunities at Geelong. Prismall did not want to go to MFC. Geelong had to free up salary cap. Prismall was also overcoming a serious knee injury. Third round is what was reasonable. How do you think other GFC players and their managers would have felt about playing at GFC if GFC just said stuff you we are trading you to Melbourne. Why would MFC trade pick 19 for a capable not outstanding player with recovering knee injury that did not want to play for them?

MFC had greater need to secure a young ruckman and we were in the mix for Warnock. It remains to be seen whether Prismall or Warnock will be better. But a fit Warnock would be a real plus for MFC given its list. I think Carlton will reap the benefits too....but at a steep cost.

What Rhino said is correct.

I'll just add that a key part of any trade deal is that ALL parties must agree - both clubs and the player(s) involved.

Two clubs cannot agree to a deal and force a player to move clubs against his wishes. See the aborted Brad Sewell-Ryan Ferguson trade from a few years back, where Ferg refused to move.

Who knows - it may well have been the case that Geelong agreed to trade Prismall for pick 19, but Prismall refused to move.

Edited by MikeyJ

I'll just add that a key part of any trade deal is that ALL parties must agree - both clubs and the player(s) involved.

Two clubs cannot agree to a deal and force a player to move clubs against his wishes. See the aborted Brad Sewell-Ryan Ferguson trade from a few years back, where Ferg refused to move.

Who knows - it may well have been the case that Geelong agreed to trade Prismall for pick 19, but Prismall refused to move.

Your 100% correct on that one, also remember at the end of 2003 when Melbourne had agreed to trade pick 5 to Port Adelaide for Nick Stevens but he refused to come to Melbourne.

• 2 weeks later...

The Port trading shop is open.

Brett Ebert, Justin Westhoff, Danyle Pearce and Kane Cornes has been put on the market.

Kane may not be a playmaker but he is one of the most consistent players who actually plays with heart. Bit tough IMO.

I would sound out Robert Gray. If medically sound, I'll part with pick 18.

Then why did we try and trade for warnock last year?

Then why did we try and trade for warnock last year?

I'm not 100% sure...but i think we tried to get warnock for nothing via the PSD. Since we had first pick. But he wanted to play at carlton.

melb has no money. DB is clearly doing the right thing by melb in developing youth and saving our cash by not buying players. i'm sure he'll splash the cash once at some stage in the future...

Is Justin Westhoff worth a punt?

Rather than using our 2nd pick maybe on Butcher we give them pick 34 for him and take a punt, then being still able to take Scully and Trengove.

I know he is not the big pack splitting forward that butcher has been described as, but he is big, mobile and knows where the goals are.

Bailey may be able to do well with these players, as he was at Port for a while

Is Justin Westhoff worth a punt?

Rather than using our 2nd pick maybe on Butcher we give them pick 34 for him and take a punt, then being still able to take Scully and Trengove.

I know he is not the big pack splitting forward that butcher has been described as, but he is big, mobile and knows where the goals are.

Bailey may be able to do well with these players, as he was at Port for a while

The Power has just done theyre 1st round of player assessments & this has been said so far.justin Westoff,Brett Ebert,Danyle Pearce & Kane Cornes have all been told that they are seeking trades for them & they will be put on the table to other clubs.Believe that they think they will offer up 7 more players by the time they finish theyre reviews.Graham Cornes even cheekily asked the question as to,do you think another club would give up a first round draft pick to get all 4 players.He said he didnt think another club would give up 1 pick for the 4 of them.I would give up our 2nd pick for the 4 but i couldnt see port going for that anyway.They said Salopek & boak definatly wont be going anywhere.They are very desperate for a Ruckman

Is Pearce out of contract? I'd definately target him for the PSD.

The only one in that list of any interest IMO.

Has pace to burn and could be a great line breaker for us.

Would I give up a second round pick for him? probably not. But as you said, PSD target most definitely.

I don't think you are correct regarding the player having to agreed. If the two clubs agree and the player will be paid the same contract as his original club then the trade can occur regardless of the players agreement.

There are two breakers to this. If you sign an agreement in the year the club seek to trade you, you have to agree to to the trade, this is what happen with ferguson... An example is Cale Morton because he signed a two year deal this year he has to agree to the trade next year he doesn't as long as his contract is matched...

The second is if the player is out of contract, he has to agree to the trade as he needs to sign a contract with the new club (can't just be matched) if the clubs agree to the trade but the player wants a more money than the club offers, they won't sign it and can go into the PSD with that contract and another club can secure him as long as they pay his demands...

These seem to be flipped on there head recently with players now nominating their preferred club but players can be traded without consent.... I pretty sure Croad didn't want to be traded to Freo....

it was said on sen yesterday

that port had come out n said there are a few players that they would consider trading(trade bait)

1- one of the cornes boys(would imagine chad-too old for us)

2-pearce(good running player)struggles to break a tag

3-brett ebert(small forward)

4-justin westhoff(tall forward, very light frame)

out of those four i would say either ebert or pearce we might show a slight interest in

let us know wat use think: :)

Edited by beamer22