Aussie Wonaeamirri

Apologies to:

Matthew Warnock

Then hopefully, Scully and Trengove.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 people do lists and no-names Warnock? WTF.........

While i rate Warnock very highly, i certainly don't consider him "untouchable". If the right offer came along for Matty, i'd take it.

Reason being that there are 4 other players on the list, each younger in age, and all of whom are capable of playing the same or a similar role to Warnock = Garland, Frawley, Martin and Rivers (as well as McNamara). They each have more of an attacking side to their games, Martin and Garland have versatility, and Frawley will ultimately be better than Warnock. And all bar Rivers, have a greater scope for future improvement.

I like Warnock, but of that group of young KPP, he's the most expendable, just behind Rivers IMO.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
Watts, Grimes, Strauss, Blease, Jurrah, Morton, Martin, Sylvia, Davey, Warnock ( Scully & Trengrove will be automatically contracted for 2 years )
warnocks not fit to tie frawleys bootlaces, chips going to be the best defender weve had for 3 decades.

1. Jack Grimes

2. Liam Jurrah

3. James Frawley

4. Colin Sylvia

5. Aaron Davey

6. Cale Morton

7. Ricky Petterd

8. Lynden Dunn

9. Simon Buckley

10. Jack Watts

On the other hand...who wants to chip in to freight Michael Newton in a wooden crate to the offices of GC??? The bloke is even crap at making it look like he is trying!

While i rate Warnock very highly, i certainly don't consider him "untouchable". If the right offer came along for Matty, i'd take it.

Reason being that there are 4 other players on the list, each younger in age, and all of whom are capable of playing the same or a similar role to Warnock = Garland, Frawley, Martin and Rivers (as well as McNamara). They each have more of an attacking side to their games, Martin and Garland have versatility, and Frawley will ultimately be better than Warnock. And all bar Rivers, have a greater scope for future improvement.

I like Warnock, but of that group of young KPP, he's the most expendable, just behind Rivers IMO.

I dispute that anyone other than Warnock is capable of playing on the powerforwards or resting rucks and doing a decent job of it. I would argue that Frawley is the only of one those who will develop into having the ability to play on the powerforwards to the level Warnock currently does. It appears that Martin will continue to be groomed forward. The North game although we were experimenting showed the importance of Warnock. Goldstein, Hansen and Petrie kicked 11 goals between them. Agree Frawley and others offer good flexibility and attack but they cannot do the job that Warnock does on that type of player.

I dispute that anyone other than Warnock is capable of playing on the powerforwards or resting rucks and doing a decent job of it. I would argue that Frawley is the only of one those who will develop into having the ability to play on the powerforwards to the level Warnock currently does. It appears that Martin will continue to be groomed forward. The North game although we were experimenting showed the importance of Warnock. Goldstein, Hansen and Petrie kicked 11 goals between them. Agree Frawley and others offer good flexibility and attack but they cannot do the job that Warnock does on that type of player.

A few people seem to be forgetting Garland...not even a mention. He was easily our best defender last year and although Frawley has come along, I'm still not sure if he compares with Colin. Garland probably has more upside too.

We Have lived on the Bottom of the Ladder for three years.

To me that says nobody on our list is untouchable, because i doubt any of our players AT THIS Moment would make the 22 of a TOP SIDE.

The next three weeks are critical to our ongoing list.

I like your work in both posts Doggo. Yours have my vote.

Cheers Toot! I try my best.. ;)

A few people seem to be forgetting Garland...not even a mention. He was easily our best defender last year and although Frawley has come along, I'm still not sure if he compares with Colin. Garland probably has more upside too.

Good call. Of all our young defenders, Garland's definitely the one who i believe has the biggest scope to become a truly elite player, ala Matty Scarlett. His balance, poise, reading of the play, defensive pressure, and offensive creativity are all superb. He's also surprisingly strong, even though he's not built like a tank. And he's seriously QUICK!

That said, Frawley has got all the tools as well, just probably not as polished with his footskills and attacking side as Colin is.

Both are crucial components of what has the makings of being an exceptional defensive unit, and i would be disappointed in the club if we were to lose either.

Anyway, I certainly didn't forget him! Just reading back over everyone's top 10 lists, i think only one person left him out.

Edited by Doggo

Good call. Of all our young defenders, Garland's definitely the one who i believe has the biggest scope to become a truly elite player, ala Matty Scarlett. His balance, poise, reading of the play, defensive pressure, and offensive creativity are all superb. He's also surprisingly strong, even though he's not built like a tank. And he's seriously QUICK!

That said, Frawley has got all the tools as well, just probably not as polished with his footskills and attacking side as Colin is.

Both are crucial components of what has the makings of being an exceptional defensive unit, and i would be disappointed in the club if we were to lose either.

Anyway, I certainly didn't forget him! Just reading back over everyone's top 10 lists, i think only one person left him out.

Garland reminds me of Dustin Fletcher, except quicker. He has the skinny frame, but is able to consistently get fists in to spoil.

In terms of what we've seen this year - and thinking of the future - our 10 untouchables are:

Jack Grimes

Liam Jurrah

Cale Morton

Jack Watts

James Frawley

Jamie Bennell

Nathan Jones

Colin Garland

Stefan Martin

Ricky Petterd

With Wona, Cheney & Bate tough to miss -

Strauss and Blease could get a mention in the future - but I'm yet to see em play.

I think there was one of these threads a while ago, so if someone can provide a link to it that might be interesting.

Anyway, I think it's an interesting exercise and I'll take a stab when I've got some time.

Has the OP posted his 10 yet?

Rivers and Warnock are both born in 1984 so age isn't really a consideration IMO.

I'm also not sure that Rivers has much more of an attacking side to his game than Warnock and I also don't think Jared can play the same or similar role to Warnock.

Maybe Rivers just needs to get back to something approaching full fitness, but I think Warnock's a better player atm.

Is there a good reason why no-one has mentioned Petterd until the last couple of posts?

There might be valid concerns about his disposal, pace and where he's going to find his niche.

To me that says nobody on our list is untouchable, because i doubt any of our players AT THIS Moment would make the 22 of a TOP SIDE.

I disagree.

For starters, I think Davey'd find a spot in the 22 of either grand finalist this year.

If Green was fit and in form I think he'd be handy, particularly with the decreased attention he'd get playing alongside some very good players.

etc.

I disagree.

For starters, I think Davey'd find a spot in the 22 of either grand finalist this year.

If Green was fit and in form I think he'd be handy, particularly with the decreased attention he'd get playing alongside some very good players.

etc.

None of our Players are consistent enough at the moment. 1 good week 3 bad ones.

It's the main improvement i want to see next year.

None of our players would get near a GF side in 2009. Take off your rose coloured glasses please.

Respect to those saying that our players wouldn't make the top teams this year I agree. But i'll respond because the only thing getting me to games is that I have the chance to see the future, albeit through supreme optimism. That in mind, looking at the hand we've been dealt, my top ten is...

1 - Watts

2 - Grimes

3 - Jurrah

4 - Davey

5 - Garland

6 - Mclean

7 - Warnock

8 - Frawley

9 - Rivers

10 - Sylvia

This was in no particular order and the numbered list was simply so I didn't include too many. I think Aussie was stiff not to make it but here are some reasons for my thinking. I haven't see Blease or Strauss play. Watts was too big of an investment to lose. Grimes simply looks a gun. Jurrah seems like a player that will one day rip the competition a new one and I don't want to risk that happening against us. Davey has shown leadership that I didn't see coming. Garland simply looked like a future all Australian backman before being cut down. Mclean loves the club and is one of the few players on our team that I believe has the killer instinct 100% of the time. This guy will do anything tomake his team win and all teams need that. I believe this attitude was lacking in the Daniher era. Warnock is a full back. We need one. Frawley came on this year and his run out of the backline is fantastic for the team and great to watch. I think that Rivers at his best (fit) is a true general a la Hodge. He reads play as well or better than anyone on our list. This is the type of player that only aids development of a younger group learning the game at the highest level. As for Sylvia, i'm an admitted detractor, however the fact remains he may just be putting it all together and while he may attract the best trade option for us with recent form, our early commitment to him suggests his trade would only be false economy.

Wow, that was long winded, but I enjoyed the exercise.

Edited by #16 is the new #1 Trav is God

Rivers and Warnock are both born in 1984 so age isn't really a consideration IMO.

I'm also not sure that Rivers has much more of an attacking side to his game than Warnock and I also don't think Jared can play the same or similar role to Warnock.

Maybe Rivers just needs to get back to something approaching full fitness, but I think Warnock's a better player atm.

You're right in saying Warnock and Rivers play different type roles. Rivers is one of the best floating half backs in the game, peeling off his man to help spoil other opposition forward. Whereas, Warnock is more your traditional full back/centre half back. I think they're both important to the structure down there. Garland can match it with the quicker forwards, like Roughead and Franklin, while Warnock is better suited to the power forward types (ala Jonathan Brown). Then, Frawley can play on the Lloyd's, Fevola's, but also on the Brad Johnson's. I think we have a very diverse backline, shaping up. Bennell is the quickest player I've ever seen, when he goes full tilt at a contest and therefore could match it with the likes of Leon Davis and Cyril Rioli. Lots to look forward too and the beauty is they're all young.

Sylvia

Davey

Garland

Watts

Grimes

Jurrah

Morton

Frawley

Bennell

Rivers

I'd imagine after next year Blease, Strauss and pick 1 and 2 will be on that list. I'd also be shattered if we lost any of Petterd, Maric, Moloney or even Dunn on what he's shown lately. If McLean can get back to his 2006 form then he's a must keep, I just hope he's been injured this year.

Btw, Sylvia and Davey would be in most teams' top 5 players right now. Colin's quiet games these days are 20 touches, 1 goal performances. I wouldn't trade him for pick 3, 4 and 5 in this year's draft.