Biggest disappointment for 2009

Vipercrunch

For me it was the injuries to Aussie and Garland and to a lesser extent Blease and Strauss. After the seasons Aussie and Garland had last year, I was very keen to see them progress. I can only hope that they can hit the pre-season hard and show us where they are at in 2010.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mathew Bate and Lynden Dunn... Should have taken the next step but clearly haven't. Dunn has gone backwards, Bate has done little besides a few goodish games

Nah.

Bate has been good.

He has been the best forward in a forward line getting the fewest Inside 50s and delivered by blokes who seem to think getting the ball over the red curved line in the grass is all you have to worry about.

Most goals and second most assists tells me you need to go back and try again.

Biggest disappointment is PA not turning up on the day and the distinct possibility that we will be punished because of it.

Agree with the Miller call.

Paul Johnson's regression in terms of decision-making and foot skills is another big one for me.

But the biggest disappointment for me is Aussie, Garland and Buckley playing just 2 matches between them. After last year, these guys were set to go to the next level, and to see them go down, especially after such good pre-season form; very dissappointing.

For me it was the injuries to Aussie and Garland and to a lesser extent Blease and Strauss. After the seasons Aussie and Garland had last year, I was very keen to see them progress. I can only hope that they can hit the pre-season hard and show us where they are at in 2010.

same for me, this was a year for our young guns to develope and get a good taste.

Paul Johnson's regression in terms of decision-making and foot skills is another big one for me.

Same same. More of the same again.

But the biggest disappointment for me is Aussie, Garland and Buckley playing just 2 matches between them. After last year, these guys were set to go to the next level, and to see them go down, especially after such good pre-season form; very dissappointing.

Add Blease and Strauss as well.

Jamar on form so far was a big loss throughout the year when injured.

Aussie Wona not playing, Brad Miller still not right (But he will)

The Matty Bate call is way too Harsh, he has been ok with bad delivery.

Jim Stynes situation. Good friend is doing chemo right now-it's Hard Core.

West Coke able to tank after winning 2006 flag..I Hate them as much as Carlton. Big Call i know!

The Whole Tanking Scenario-after this year i never want to hope for a loss again...

The Port Adelaide win, on so many different levels

Funny.

The month of crap was my biggest let down. We were going along beautifully, and we lost by enough, in such a bad way, that within 4 short weeks people had suddenly lost all the hope we'd gained in the opening 10 or so rounds.

That and some of the crap written on here about good young players, and some of the older guys who are going as much as they can, which was never going to be enough. We were making 'ology look like a group of happy-go-lucky teenagres for a while there. Though I've learned now not to take too much that's written here too seriously.

In terms of moments, I think Col's suspension would be in the top 5. I know no-one cares because we're going for the mega-tank, but if it becomes a habit? Also he was just going so well, wasn't he?

Some of the younger players have let us down. These guys started well under Bailey and then took the foot off the gas. Jones, PJ, Bartram (up until the last couple of weeks), Dunn...

Newton and Miller are the biggest let downs as players. Also Robbo (injured) and JMac (never held out huge hope) have not done enough, given how good they are. McLean would be next.

Oh. Does Garland's injury count as within this year?

For me, a 'disappointing' player would be one with still a number of years ahead of them that regresses to the point where it seems a once-promising career has stalled or doomed to failure. Despite the side being completely rancid once again, I find it difficult to find one player who was disappointing in that sense. Those who performed poorly this year were, for the most part, not up to AFL standard. The injuries as others have mentioned were the most disappointing part for me. There were a lot more players who improved this season than went the other way thankfully.

Nah.

Bate has been good.

He has been the best forward in a forward line getting the fewest Inside 50s and delivered by blokes who seem to think getting the ball over the red curved line in the grass is all you have to worry about.

Most goals and second most assists tells me you need to go back and try again.

I've backed him a few times this year when he has had the slippers sunk inbto him but his inability to get any seperation from defenders and continuing to try and take chest marks with defenders on his ginger (usually spoiling his attempts to mark) has been a disappointment for mine.

The biggest disappointment has been our improvement but still being mired in this limbo of the priority pick and the wanting to loose the rest of our games but be competitive. It is such a rubbish situation to be in when all you want to see is the red and blue get up, the song sung with gusto yet doing so will see us miss out on a pick we "deserve" for being the worst side going around.

Players: Miller, Newton (pretty much just because he's there), Buckley (could fit into injuries, though I'm still unsure how many he's missed because of injury), Johnson, Dunn. Colin Sylvia's stupidity has left him with 1/3 of a good season played.

The Crowd: Queen's Birthday.

Injuries: Aussie, Garland, Blease, Bell, Meesen, Green, Jamar.

AFL: The priority pick, Demetriou, incosistent rule interpretations.

Big Jimma's health: But he'll be sweet.

The kid (about 9-10 y.o.) prematch at the game yesterday: "Ha ha, you have an aboriginal in your team."

The kid (about 9-10 y.o.) prematch at the game yesterday: "Ha ha, you have an aboriginal in your team."

Have been to a game up there and had to deal with kids that were some of the worst little sh!ts and were running around annoying the crap out of me.

Awful.

And I coach junior cricket too. Lots of them. Twins as well. The 'terror twins' type and the 'creepy twins' type.

Both sets easier to deal with than those damn Canberra kids.

Like a few others have posted, injuries to players like Garland, Wonna, Bucks, was really looking forward to seeing these guys develop further.

And as much as it goes against my instincts as a 30 year supporter of the club, but winning a meaningless fifth game would be a severe disappointment. Should it happen, these words pretty much sum it up...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdKJBxWZdoI